Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal thread V5. The big sale is over. New thread coming soon.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12912 replies to this topic

#1231 Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:52 AM

Does that just work off of recent reviews or something because every page has 10 reviews and there are 134 pages of 5 star reviews. That is well over half of the reviews so there should be absolutely no way it should have the amount of starts that it does. Plus 1 star reviews don't start until page 161 which means there are only about 300 of those.

I am assuming it must only use 15 reviews since that is the number it puts by the side of the star list.

Also there is in fact a 1 star review because an item went on sale the day after someone bought something. Some people really, really shouldn't be able to review things. I hate when those sales that didn't match up with when I bought my product make the product terrible... garrr!

EDIT: For laptop users that never unplug from their systems from the wall... ever. How does the battery life seem if you do happen to unplug it?

Keeping your battery plugged in all the time kills it. So if you spend a lot of time plugged into the wall either take out your battery or unplug on occasion to let it drain and recharge. I spent about a yea with a laptop always plugged in and battery in and after that the battery held like 25 to 50% of the original charge.

#1232 RollingSkull

RollingSkull

No Decisive Evidence

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:53 AM

S8:P has a decent enough campaign but I was not motivated to see it through. The MP is somewhere between Tribes and Battlefield. It is quite exciting.

For what it's worth, I never had GFWL problems with it
Posted Image

It was a smooth ride.

#1233 Kaltic

Kaltic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:57 AM

Keeping your battery plugged in all the time kills it. So if you spend a lot of time plugged into the wall either take out your battery or unplug on occasion to let it drain and recharge. I spent about a yea with a laptop always plugged in and battery in and after that the battery held like 25 to 50% of the original charge.

Oh I know that happens I more so want to know why people do it. I mean both of my parents did, which is odd considering my dad's life revolves around computers, and their laptops don't last more than 5 minutes unplugged. I have just never understood why because even if you were writing some text document it wouldn't go bye bye the moment the laptop goes out. As long as you plug it in soon enough it will be fine.

#1234 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

talkinrock's future son in law

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:02 AM

Oh I know that happens I more so want to know why people do it. I mean both of my parents did, which is odd considering my dad's life revolves around computers, and their laptops don't last more than 5 minutes unplugged. I have just never understood why because even if you were writing some text document it wouldn't go bye bye the moment the laptop goes out. As long as you plug it in soon enough it will be fine.

Ironically, I never kept my laptop plugged in all the time like that and its battery died very quickly (yes, it's a Dell).

Now I HAVE to keep it plugged in all the time. Why? If it dies (after 20 minutes or so) it goes to standby, which normally would be fine, but it only correctly goes to standby about 50% of the time. The other 50% of the time, it tries to standby, but gets stuck halfway. The screen turns off, but the fans keep running and whatnot, and there's no way to turn it back on even if I plug it into the wall.

I could go on for so long about how much my computer sucks. :cry:

Blade Symphony - $5 (Steam), Borderlands 2 - $6 (Steam), Last Knight - $2 (Steam)

uwkiCEr.gif

#1235 Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:04 AM

Well for me it was really just ignorance and laziness. I didn't think the laptop would mess up the battery until after it happened. I usually don't my laptop as a laptop, but just as a convenient desktop I can happen to move to on-sites, when I travel, etc so I never really used it just on the battery. There's always the paranoia of what if you have no battery and it unplugs! And the laziness of plugging and unplugging over the day. But i have changed my ways since with my newest one and the battery still lasts like a champ.

#1236 mrsilkunderwear

mrsilkunderwear

Just Do It.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:08 AM

I been using Nvidia and had good luck with that. My old laptop had an ATI with good luck too.

I guess it just comes down to luck because with all electronics it's a crapshoot. Some last for ages, some don't. Just luck of the draw I think.

Played some CS:GO today. Now I am not a hardcore CS player nor do I want to be, but I will say, it's Counterstrike :lol:. I appreciate the new modes and the ability to set up a bot game in like 5 seconds, but it's still Counterstrike. The Deagle and AWP are still there.

Ill go easy on you next time.

#1237 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:17 AM

Alienware = paying for a brand just like buying Ralph Lauren Polo shirts. They're owned by Dell and you invariable get marginal parts. Always better off just building your own or going to your local shop and have them build one for you.

#1238 travathian

travathian

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:18 AM

Anyone know when the Summer Sale is?

#1239 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:29 AM

Well for me it was really just ignorance and laziness. I didn't think the laptop would mess up the battery until after it happened. I usually don't my laptop as a laptop, but just as a convenient desktop I can happen to move to on-sites, when I travel, etc so I never really used it just on the battery. There's always the paranoia of what if you have no battery and it unplugs! And the laziness of plugging and unplugging over the day. But i have changed my ways since with my newest one and the battery still lasts like a champ.

Well, it's not really that. Modern charging circuits are good enough to not really harm your battery much. It's mostly heat from your laptop, and age.

Check back in 11 months.

#1240 MIND LINK

MIND LINK

MURDER ALL RAPPERS

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:48 AM

Posted Image

MARS

#1241 DPsycho

DPsycho

Descendant of Erdrick

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:54 AM

Check back in 11 months.

Is that eleven months Pacific Time, or another time zone?

#1242 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:59 AM

Is that eleven months Pacific Time, or another time zone?

Southern Hemisphere time.

#1243 Lint21

Lint21

Probably Drunk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 04:02 AM

Why does the M18x allow that?

Some high-end gaming laptops support a standard called MXM. It allows switching out graphics cards, provided your PSU will supply the juice and the motherboard plays nice with the new card.

I have to agree with the anti-Alienware sentiment in the thread. They've gone downhill since the Dell acquisition, in options, build quality, AND price. When I was looking for my current laptop, I thought I wanted an Alienware or something, until I did hundreds of hours of research. I landed on a Sager, sold by XoticPC.com. I've been absolutely blown away by it for almost a year now; it plays everything I throw at it on ultra at high FPS. Zero problems, incredible machine.

My input on your original question is to stay away from the 7970. I've got a 6990 in my Sager, but I've heard some iffy things about the 7970. If I was buying a laptop right now, I'd go big and get a Geforce 680. You're going to spend $1500+ to get a high-end machine, do it right and make it last.

Finally, go to a forum with the experts on this topic and DO NOT rush into a decision this expensive. Asking at CAG is going to yield mixed results at best. Notebookreview.com as an extremely active and knowledgeable userbase: http://forum.noteboo...om/sager-clevo/. That's a link to the Sager subforum (hint hint :)).
SUPPORT FLOUR GUNS.
Posted Image

#1244 Woodlands

Woodlands

spɹɐʍʞɔɐq sı ƃuıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 04:08 AM

*Sniff* Aaaah, that new thread smell.

#1245 Sophita

Sophita

CCO Coconut Company

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 04:11 AM

Get ready to do the time wrap,again, because the Summer Sale is today!!!!?! :hot:

Spoiler

Posted Image

#1246 spoderman

spoderman

I thought Harvey Dent said that

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 04:19 AM

AMD drivers do not suck; as far as I can tell that's just one of those things that people repeat because they heard other people say it. There's no basis behind it.

Not true. I've been keeping up with every driver update for the 7970, and AMD's driver updates have actually been getting worse with each new version. I've had more problems with 12.6 and 12.8 WHQL than I had with 11.2. Maybe their drivers are ok after having been worked on for a year or so, but for their newer GPUs? They suck. It's not something that people just "repeat" because they hear others say it.. there are actual experiences behind it.

In any case, most of the AMD driver updates fail to fix issues in games, where most Nvidia GPUs won't have that problem as the games were designed around them.

Maybe its just the fact that Nvidia is more of a standard but AMD cards tend to have more sporadic driver related issues. Many games dont work at launch until drivers are updated etc. Sometimes drivers are updated and games get broken etc. It might well be that game designers have a tendency to design around Nvidia but it is definitely one of the biggest negatives against ATI.

This is exactly what I'm talking about.

#1247 JakeNome

JakeNome

Shady Panda Peddler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 04:45 AM

Get ready to do the time wrap,again, because the Summer Sale is today!!!!?! :hot:

Spoiler

lol, muslimgamer.com...
WTS Steam Games Check my list!

Posted Image

#1248 Sophita

Sophita

CCO Coconut Company

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 04:51 AM

lol, muslimgamer.com...

Oh wow I just now noticed that..umm..Im just going to blame google image search for,"Steam Sale 2012" and leave it at that. :lol:
Posted Image

#1249 Blade

Blade

Trying to have a member title that's longer than MDerrick

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 05:04 AM

Southern Hemisphere time.

Exactly. Check back in December for the Summer sale if you live in the southern hemisphere.

#1250 hal

hal

Game Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 05:07 AM

I see that Steam Sale image and I know it's old.

But I want so badly to click it!

76561197971332172.png

#1251 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 05:30 AM

I see that Steam Sale image and I know it's old.

But I want so badly to click it!

I knew it was fake. And I still clicked it.

#1252 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 05:55 AM

Spoiler

It took like... five minutes for that image to completely load.

Blade Symphony - $5 (Steam), Borderlands 2 - $6 (Steam), Last Knight - $2 (Steam)

uwkiCEr.gif

#1253 travathian

travathian

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 06:12 AM

Sorry, was just trying to steer things back to Steam and sales and such.

So, how bout them TF2 hats?

#1254 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 06:55 AM

Comments (in no particular order).

Due to various issues I've had with ATI(now DAMMIT, since the AMD merger) going all the way back to Rage Pro, and more recently, I will not be buying a DAMMIT card until I hear AnandTech/Tomshardware/etc raving that the dark days of driver issues and software related performance woes are over. I'd rather pay a bit more for similar performance and avoid the occasional gotchas. I personally expect Intel to become a significant graphics player before DAMMIT gets their software act together to my satisfaction.

If you are interested in a new DAMMIT card, I read (AnandTech) that AMD will be offering Sleeping Dogs as the pack-in game (since that Borderlands thing seems to be irritatingly popular).

All the new shiny shiny this & that made me double check that this was still CheapAssGamer. Imo a real CheapAssGamer would see the new cards as price reductions/opportunity to pick up a used last gen card.

Regarding gaming laptops, I hear the same anti-Alienware rant. About 5-6 years back a close friend got a Sager that he was happy with (and upgraded), but the 10 pound hot and noisy laptop's welcome didn't last too long. He sold it off in under a year at very little loss.

Regarding upgrading older gaming PC:
I think the last three to four years have been amazingly flat (probably thanks Console focused games deportment on the not-getting-any-faster 360 & PS3). I build my current PC 3.5 years ago, decidedly mid-range then: AMD Phenom II X3 720BE (2.8 GHz stock, OCs to 3.7), and eVGA GTX 260 c216 SuperClocked. It still handles most everything I throw at it well (mid-high settings on 1680x1050 more recently 1920x1200). No Shogun 2 does not run as well as I'd like, but that's a special case, like Metro 2033. While I have been tempted by the GTX 670/660 Ti I'm settling on the decision to play the amazing games in my backlog that run well on my current PC, to at least hold out until Haswell and the GK110.

#1255 spoderman

spoderman

I thought Harvey Dent said that

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 07:00 AM

Be Mine 4 is live.

#1256 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 07:18 AM

Be Mine 4 is live.

Thanks!
Linky:
http://groupees.com/bm4

#1257 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 07:18 AM

EDIT: Wait, what am I doing? I told myself I was done talking about laptops here, lol.

uwkiCEr.gif

#1258 pinkgun

pinkgun

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 07:43 AM

Inversion 75%OFF at Impulse, steam redeemable
http://impulsedriven.com/inversion

#1259 jatan11t

jatan11t

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:30 AM

Clearly we need a Revelations 2012 night sometime.

#1260 yangwenli

yangwenli

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:34 AM

I may be in the minority, but I love my Alienware. When I ordered mine, there was about a $100 premium over a similar Sager which I didn't have a problem with since I've always wanted one and the build quality and customer service is much better. If customer service can't resolve a problem, they send out a technician to your house the next day(assuming you have the warranty).

But if you're don't want to blow a ton of money, the M14x with the GeForce 650M is a good choice. 95% of the games I play are on all high settings and it plays them at great frame rates. Games like BF3 have to be played on medium/high, which is fine for me. The big thing for me is that it is extremely portable. I thought it would weigh a ton, but it's not bad at all.

You can get dual 675M's in the M18x if you want which would future proof you for a couple years. I'm pretty sure you can also eventually upgrade the graphics card in the M18x, but the M14 does not allow it.

Word of advice, though...if your heart is set on an Alienware, do NOT order them online. Call and get a representative who is willing to negotiate. My PC came out to something like $1,500 and I ended up getting it for $1,129 with no tax and a $200 gift card that I used to upgrade my RAM and get a SSD. You get MUCH better prices by calling.

Also, don't upgrade the RAM or hard drive when ordering. Get those separately because they're way cheaper elsewhere and they're both very easy to install.

Also, like Fox said, Asus ROG laptops are very good as well. Whatever you decide, good luck!

Not sure why there is so much Alienware hate, but being CAGS here, I would recommend people spend time over at
http://forum.noteboo....com/alienware/
to learn how to buy Alienware for cheaper. If you are patient, you pretty much can buy a machine at 15-30% off depending on how much work/patience you have and this will put any Alienware laptop cheaper than any other company.

Read a lot of the messages there, but in general, Alienware doesn't cost anymore than any other laptop if you are patient and willing to haggle. I picked up an AW for around 30% off list new with accidental coverage and plenty others picked up their machines for 15%-20% with little work. One thing I will say is the deals do take some patience, but Dell reps are on that forum and it's not that hard to score some discount.

Also, Alienware is one of the few companies (if only) offering on-site support, if they mess something up, there are plenty of cases where they upgrade you current tech, etc...You do need to hammer at them to fix it, but there are enough cases of this happening.

All laptop manufacturers have issues, but if you take price out of the equation, then I think you might as well go AW for the better name recognition, easier resale value, on-site service, top tech parts.

I've went through this process myself a while back.