Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal thread V5. The big sale is over. New thread coming soon.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12912 replies to this topic

#1321 Kaltic

Kaltic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:33 PM

I am. Just meaning REALLY FROM SOFTWARE? REALLY?

More people need to say this about Bethesda. The company in capable of spending a couple minutes merely resizing the interface/text which is always one of the first available mods made by the community in every single one of their games.

How is this even possible without access to source code? Regardless I'm happy that people capable of PC voodoo magic is enthusiastic about Dark Souls. Now really considering on jumping in especially since Torchlight 2 hasn't been released yet I'm itching to play some online rpg game before life gets busy again.

Editors or tools are not required to mod games although with those tools more complex or efficient ones may become available. So what they did was most likely quite simple, at least in how it modified the game.

EDIT: I am quite happy to hear about that resolution fix and am also happy about the ability to pre-load it on steam.

#1322 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

talkinrock's future son in law

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:16 PM

Dark Star One shot itself in the foot when the developers praised it pre-release as being a better Freelancer. Then it came out, and completely paled in comparison to Freelancer. Yes, it's a pretty game, but I've heard complaints from every side of the spectrum. Recycled starscapes, only one ship with weak customization, shallow black and white story/factions, etc. Freelancer was an incredible game, even if it didn't have awe-inspiring graphics.

That said, I've still always wanted to give it a shot. In an indie bundle, it's perfect.

Blade Symphony - $5 (Steam), Borderlands 2 - $6 (Steam), Last Knight - $2 (Steam)

uwkiCEr.gif

#1323 Syntax Error

Syntax Error

Tortue d'Art

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:40 PM

For Just Cause 2, are any of the DLC like must haves or really good? I know they are cheap, but I am cheaper if they really aren't all that.

The hovercraft is a lot of fun. Very tough with a big gun and the obvious ability to drive it over land and sea. It's my favorite of the DLC.

The downside to the DLC is having to buy the item itself from the black market which means you can't enjoy them with impunity.

#1324 emwearz

emwearz

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:44 PM

Mirrors Edge is $2.49 in the Aussie Steam store.
Sign up to GreenManGaming using this link, spend $2 and you will be credited with $2 to your account!
http://www.greenmang.../?gmgr=gusasuku

#1325 plft

plft

Ploceus castaneiceps

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:13 PM

Dark Star One is an okay game. I stuck it through to the end but thought about quitting numerous times. 'Shallow' is the best descriptive I could give it and it's really a shame. The engine is nice and they have a solid framework in place to make an interesting experience but it's basically just slaughtering system after system of generic pirates while you upgrade your ship and slog through fairly repetitive missions. There's basically no point in trading or accepting mercenary missions at the various trade stations.

This almost perfectly describes it. Turrets completely destroy everything though. I tried playing the game again after running through X3 and it felt so empty. Obviously not a great comparison due to the depth of X3; DS1 is an alright diversion but there are other space combat sims out there to play. Then again it's a good way to see if you like the genre/a game to play after you've played all the others.

#1326 dfg

dfg

Impecunious Ass Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:21 PM

The first relevant result I found on Google for Indie Gala 8 is a Steamgifts thread that agrees with the Strategy First guess. Works for me and my +50% guideline.

One of my favorite video game blooper reels is Ben Buja's Just Cause 2 one.

¡Viva los CAGs!
Posted Image

#1327 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:25 PM

Dark Star One is an okay game. I stuck it through to the end but thought about quitting numerous times. 'Shallow' is the best descriptive I could give it and it's really a shame.

It had potential. There's like no variations to the missions. It's really a shame, cause it could have been as good as Freelancer.

#1328 monkeyz

monkeyz

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:42 PM

Btw I know impulse has it for $9.98 but so does amazon now, grab inversion for only $9.98
http://www.amazon.co.../dp/B008K52VP4/

just in case you guys have credit there. It looks not half bad. $10 and only a month old o_O. The game is steamworks btw, the key requires steam to activate to get the game and such.

#1329 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:44 PM

Not sure if anyone is a Front Mission fan, but Front Mission Evolved is on sale for $5.20 on GamersGate before IGN discount.

http://www.gamersgat...mission-evolved

The cheapest it's been on Steam is $7.50 from what I can see, and the game is Steamworks, so it seems like a solid deal.

The game gets some mixed reviews, especially since it's an action game (more like the Armored Core series), rather than a turn based strategy RPG like the rest of the Front Mission series. That said, the combat is supposed to be pretty solid, the graphics look pretty impressive, and the explosions are supposed to be gorgeous. The biggest complaints I've heard about it have been that the on-foot missions are boring, and that the voice acting is sub-par.

Just thought I'd bring it up since it's a game that rarely goes on a good sale. Amazon just had it for $9.99 a month or two ago. $5.20 is the best I've ever seen on it by far.

Blade Symphony - $5 (Steam), Borderlands 2 - $6 (Steam), Last Knight - $2 (Steam)

uwkiCEr.gif

#1330 plft

plft

Ploceus castaneiceps

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:45 PM

It had potential. There's like no variations to the missions. It's really a shame, cause it could have been as good as Freelancer.

There was that one mission in the turret where the more you leveled up your ship the harder it was. That provided a bit of variety, but not the good kind.

Spoilers but it details the issue with that mission.
http://forums.steamp...ad.php?t=793850

#1331 spoderman

spoderman

I thought Harvey Dent said that

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:47 PM

Not sure if anyone is a Front Mission fan, but Front Mission Evolved is on sale for $5.20 on GamersGate before IGN discount.

http://www.gamersgat...mission-evolved

The cheapest it's been on Steam is $7.50 from what I can see, and the game is Steamworks, so it seems like a solid deal.

The game gets some mixed reviews, especially since it's an action game (more like the Armored Core series), rather than a turn based strategy RPG like the rest of the Front Mission series. That said, the combat is supposed to be pretty solid, the graphics look pretty impressive, and the explosions are supposed to be gorgeous. The biggest complaints I've heard about it have been that the on-foot missions are boring, and that the voice acting is sub-par.

Just thought I'd bring it up since it's a game that rarely goes on a good sale. Amazon just had it for $9.99 a month or two ago. $5.20 is the best I've ever seen on it by far.

Yeah I noticed, I'll probably pick it up before this weeks sales end on gamersgate. I wanna make sure it doesn't end up as a daily before I grab it. It's supposedly not a very good game, but I like bad games so I might as well try it!

#1332 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:51 PM

Yeah I noticed, I'll probably pick it up before this weeks sales end on gamersgate. I wanna make sure it doesn't end up as a daily before I grab it. It's supposedly not a very good game, but I like bad games so I might as well try it!

I'm a huge Front Mission and Armored Core fan myself, so any mashup of the two will likely be fun for me, lol. I have heard quite a bit of reviews saying that the gameplay itself is pretty solid though, so for $5.20 I figure, why not?

Is it a part of this week's sales? I don't want to wait too long and miss it, but like you said, I'm hoping it hits a daily. I have no idea how GamersGate sales work, lol.

uwkiCEr.gif

#1333 spoderman

spoderman

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:08 AM

I'm a huge Front Mission and Armored Core fan myself, so any mashup of the two will likely be fun for me, lol. I have heard quite a bit of reviews saying that the gameplay itself is pretty solid though, so for $5.20 I figure, why not?

Is it a part of this week's sales? I don't want to wait too long and miss it, but like you said, I'm hoping it hits a daily. I have no idea how GamersGate sales work, lol.

Yeah it's part of the last week for their summer sales. I'm assuming it'll go back to full price on monday. It's probably doubtful that it'll be a daily, but I'm gonna wait to be safe.

#1334 evildeadjedi

evildeadjedi

RIP DIO \m/ \m/

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:27 AM

DARK SOULS PC NEWS!!!!
A person on Neogaf named "Durante" has unlocked the Dark Souls PC resolution in 20 mins!!!!

http://www.neogaf.co...6&postcount=686

Notice the drastic difference between the muddy unmodded and modded high res shot!
http://www.neogaf.co...ad.php?t=488240

Spoiler

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#1335 DPsycho

DPsycho

Descendant of Erdrick

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:31 AM

DARK SOULS PC NEWS!!!!
A person on Neogaf named "Durante" has unlocked the Dark Souls PC resolution in 20 mins!!!!

http://www.neogaf.co...6&postcount=686

http://www.neogaf.co...ad.php?t=488240

I don't mind that you posted something that was already discussed on the previous page, but could you please put a spoiler tag around that giant image? It's wider than mobile devices are happy to format.

#1336 jkimrey

jkimrey

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:32 AM

Speaking of Motoki, where IS he?

Speaking of sims, I found this pretty lil ditty for Motoki a minute ago. Sorry, not a Steam activatable game though....

But it is TANKS!!!!

#1337 spoderman

spoderman

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:33 AM

MOTHER OF GOD! That pic is still loading.

#1338 DPsycho

DPsycho

Descendant of Erdrick

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:35 AM

Thank you.

#1339 evildeadjedi

evildeadjedi

RIP DIO \m/ \m/

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:40 AM

This is the only reply I can support.

I've hated Alienware for as long as I can remember. Long before they were bought by Dell. Don't get one. Your friend is not a "tech wiz." He's also not a genius. What's next, he stayed at a Holiday Inn Express?

Get something like a $1000 Asus Republic of Gamers laptop. They've been on Warehouse Deals recently for under $1k.

Agreed Asus ROG are awesome! I have an Asus G73JH-RBBX05 and I love it!

I've had an ASUS laptop for about three years now and it's been a champ. It's on day and night and I've hauled it all over the country. I can play whatever I want, wherever I want, whenever I want. So count me as one who's had a great experience with that line.

I've had my Asus for a few years and it's been running like a top!

Keeping your battery plugged in all the time kills it. So if you spend a lot of time plugged into the wall either take out your battery or unplug on occasion to let it drain and recharge. I spent about a yea with a laptop always plugged in and battery in and after that the battery held like 25 to 50% of the original charge.

Exactly, anytime I'm using ac power my battery is not in my laptop.

:whee: About fucking time!

Exactly!!!! :bouncy:

KOTOR 2?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Now if only there were a sale price with it... Even for like $7.50 I would snatch this up again. Something about $10 just seems high.

Ten is too high definitely! I'll wait for 75% off like KOTOR 1.

I don't mind that you posted something that was already discussed on the previous page, but could you please put a spoiler tag around that giant image? It's wider than mobile devices are happy to format.

Oops! I completely missed that on the previous page. Done.

MOTHER OF GOD! That pic is still loading.

My bad! Fixed :)
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#1340 dejeckt

dejeckt

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:46 AM

Couldn't resist and bought Dark Souls. The fix works great after minor bit of tweaking (had to turn off motion blur and antialiasing). The game does look much better due to the fix, but still a bit lacking.
Here are some of my screenshots taken at 1680x1050...
First 3, hosted on imgur
Last and the best screenshot, hosted on imgur

So far I ran into...
360 wired controller issues, fixed by copying & pasting dinput8.dll.
Player left hints/comments not showing after fix implemented, don't know how to fix this.
Colors looking a bit off, don't know how to fix this.

Other than that I guess its worth mentioning that the game is locked at 30 fps, and it seems the fps is the same as the ps3 version (from what I can tell) with similar slow downs. Kinda regret buying it, but oh well still going to play it :)

#1341 IkedaTeramusa

IkedaTeramusa

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:03 AM

Agreed Asus ROG are awesome! I have an Asus G73JH-RBBX05 and I love it!

I

I have NOW had 2 ROG laptops. The first lasted me about 2 years and the hard drive died. That sucked. So then I bought the upgrade and that bugger died as SOON as the manuf. warranty expired. (screen/video card couldn't determine which blew what)

I will specifically point out that ROG needs to put MORE/BETTER thermal paste on their GPU/CPU's. (this is a KNOWN issue) Also, I attempted to get them to honor their warranty for a screen flicker issue but since there wasn't anything they could see they wouldn't have me send it in. When it died completely they tried to force me to pay for the repair even after I pointed out that the original call-in was before the warranty ended.

Some of the problems with the earlier gen were repaired in the later gen but the cooling paste thing is a BIG boo-boo that exists. And those bad boys run HOT so this is HUGE in terms of gaming.

This laptop was moved over to HP (not because it was good but because I managed to get both Sandy and Ivy into a laptop for sub $1K with everything I wanted). I've heard nothing but praise for the ROG line but I just thought I should give you the forewarning. That being said, I plan on going back to them once this laptop needs an upgrade.

#1342 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:18 AM

I have NOW had 2 ROG laptops. The first lasted me about 2 years and the hard drive died. That sucked. So then I bought the upgrade and that bugger died as SOON as the manuf. warranty expired. (screen/video card couldn't determine which blew what)

I will specifically point out that ROG needs to put MORE/BETTER thermal paste on their GPU/CPU's. (this is a KNOWN issue) Also, I attempted to get them to honor their warranty for a screen flicker issue but since there wasn't anything they could see they wouldn't have me send it in. When it died completely they tried to force me to pay for the repair even after I pointed out that the original call-in was before the warranty ended.

Some of the problems with the earlier gen were repaired in the later gen but the cooling paste thing is a BIG boo-boo that exists. And those bad boys run HOT so this is HUGE in terms of gaming.

This laptop was moved over to HP (not because it was good but because I managed to get both Sandy and Ivy into a laptop for sub $1K with everything I wanted). I've heard nothing but praise for the ROG line but I just thought I should give you the forewarning. That being said, I plan on going back to them once this laptop needs an upgrade.

I do hear good about the ROG line, but the more I look into them the more complaints I see. The biggest one hinged on the fact that they've moved the customer support to the Caribbean recently, and that what was already fairly bad customer service has gotten even worse. I never heard about the heating issues though.

The more I look into Clevo though, the better I hear. On some ends, Alienware still has better points (as well as worse ones), but the price difference between Clevo and Alienware is DRAMATIC. You should really check out Clevo when you upgrade.

Thanks for the info though!

uwkiCEr.gif

#1343 6er

6er

XBOX, GO HOME

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:26 AM

Talk me out of this. I got bored and put together a wish list for a system.

Corsair: c70 case, H100 cooler, AX850 modular PSU, and 16GB vengeance ram(black)
Samsung 830 256GB SDD
HGST 7K3000 2TB HDD
EVGA superclocked 4GB GTX 670
ASUS Z77 sabertooth
I7 3770K

Bout $1850. Obvious military look

Been getting along fine without a desktop for years,but I'm starting to get funny ideas

#1344 IkedaTeramusa

IkedaTeramusa

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:29 AM

Desktops are too non-portable.

#1345 DRM-Free

DRM-Free

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:31 AM

Corsair: c70 case, H100 cooler, AX850 modular PSU, and 16GB vengeance ram(black)
Samsung 830 256GB SDD
HGST 7K3000 2TB HDD
ASUS Z77 sabertooth
I7 3770K

Been getting along fine without a desktop for years,but I'm starting to get funny ideas

Shoite, that's no less than triple what people generally pay for a new desktop PC.

Thus, I must ask the big question - How big is your Steam library?

#1346 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:36 AM

Samsung 830 256GB SDD
HGST 7K3000 2TB HDD
ASUS Z77 sabertooth
I7 3770K

It's up to you what you decide to do, but you can easily make a few cutbacks (GFX Card, SSD, Ram) to save some money. Unless your doing heavy video editing, you can get away with 8. I have 8 and I have never once used over 5k with any game, skype, firefox, iTunes, Steam running all at once. Unless you want to max out your games, you could probably settle for a cheaper card too.
Posted Image
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#1347 6er

6er

XBOX, GO HOME

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:40 AM

I don't NEED any of it. I've been .holding off on a new system for so long all the pent up tech-grief is releasing at once. All I .would really push it for isgaming. It's like buying a corvette. No one NEEDS one.

Wanting something that can max skyrim with the texture pack at 1900x1200

Pc backlog isn't bad at all. 10-12 games.

But I don't need it. Almost talked myself out....

#1348 Kaltic

Kaltic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:42 AM

Couldn't resist and bought Dark Souls. The fix works great after minor bit of tweaking (had to turn off motion blur and antialiasing). The game does look much better due to the fix, but still a bit lacking.
Here are some of my screenshots taken at 1680x1050...
First 3, hosted on imgur
Last and the best screenshot, hosted on imgur

So far I ran into...
360 wired controller issues, fixed by copying & pasting dinput8.dll.
Player left hints/comments not showing after fix implemented, don't know how to fix this.
Colors looking a bit off, don't know how to fix this.

Other than that I guess its worth mentioning that the game is locked at 30 fps, and it seems the fps is the same as the ps3 version (from what I can tell) with similar slow downs. Kinda regret buying it, but oh well still going to play it :)

If you can run it you can up the res to double so it could look even better. The hints being gone are a problem of the fix and he was going to try and fix them tomorrow. But just as a question what type of graphics card do you have? Some are reporting it being pretty bad with AMD.

All I know is that I am digging it, but then again I didn't buy and never owned it prior, unless you count owning Demons'ssssssssssssssssss Souls since they are quite similar. And by quite I mean extremely.

#1349 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:42 AM

I don't NEED any of it. I've been .holding off on a new system for so long all the pent up tech-grief is releasing at once.

Pc backlog isn't bad at all. 10-12 games.

Quite seriously, I wouldn't go out and spend $1800 on a machine. You can easily price a half decent machine that will last you a good 3-4 years easily for like $700-$750. Plus you can always buy extra stuff later like more Ram or a SSD.

Just because it's expensive and top of the line, doesn't mean that there isn't is a cheaper alternative that is almost as good. Do research before buying because one big mistake is you spend money on more power than you will ever need which would be wasted cash.
Posted Image
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#1350 BrolyB593

BrolyB593

I'm Cheap!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:46 AM

Quite seriously, I wouldn't go out and spend $1800 on a machine. You can easily price a half decent machine that will last you a good 3-4 years easily for like $700-$750. Plus you can always buy extra stuff later like more Ram or a SSD.

Just because it's expensive and top of the line, doesn't mean that there isn't is a cheaper alternative that is almost as good. Do research before buying because one big mistake is you spend money on more power than you will ever need which would be wasted cash.

If you are going to splurge I would say splurge on the motherboard if anything so that it is highly upgrade-able for the future.