Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal thread V5. The big sale is over. New thread coming soon.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12912 replies to this topic

#1981 glennfrank

glennfrank

My squeedily spooch!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2012 - 03:34 PM

Thanks Hal

Edit:
For you Half-Life Fans - the Black Mesa Mod team is finally releasing a section of the game to the community on Sept 14th!
http://steamcommunit...829290237655153

Edited by glennfrank, 02 September 2012 - 03:46 PM.

#1982 DRM-Free

DRM-Free

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2012 - 03:50 PM

Thanks Hal

Edit:
For you Half-Life Fans - the Black Mesa Mod team is finally releasing a section of the game to the community on Sept 14th!

Whoa, that's huge news. I'm sure most fans were getting tired of seeing occasional articles sparking renewed interest but, otherwise, providing nothing more than screen shots and promises.

If it even lives up to some of the hype, Black Mesa will make for an excellent excuse to replay the original.

#1983 louiedog

louiedog

20 minutes into the future

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2012 - 04:03 PM

Thanks Hal

Edit:

I'll believe it when I see it. At least it seems much more likely this time as it's a concrete date that's not too far away. The only reason I still have any faith that Black Mesa Mod team will succeed in what they set out to do is their absolute embrace of Valve Time.

As someone who played a lot of first person shooters in the 90s I'm used to never playing announced mods that look good. The people with enough talent to do something cool always got hired by a developer long before the mod was finished.

#1984 Zipomatic2

Zipomatic2

Really, Really Cheap

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2012 - 04:11 PM

Match Rune A to Rune B on this cardboard spinny wheel and what word do you get?

Anyone remember the old "Plastic Folding Looking Glass" thingy. I think Elite and some Domark games used that kind of protection.

HORRIBLE. Could never make out what the bloody letters were.....
Posted Image

If it's not 75% off, or less that $10, I ain't buying it!

#1985 pantsattack

pantsattack

this computer is a time machine, but it only goes forward

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2012 - 04:36 PM

Thanks Hal

Edit:

What's BMDM? I don't remember a level with that name.

#1986 Financial Panther

Financial Panther

Qui audet adipiscitur

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2012 - 04:47 PM

Anyone remember the old "Plastic Folding Looking Glass" thingy. I think Elite and some Domark games used that kind of protection.

HORRIBLE. Could never make out what the bloody letters were.....

I kinda wish they brought back those kinds of "physical drm." Maybe as a collectible b/c those things bring be back. Better than activation limits or TAGE

Edited by voken, 02 September 2012 - 04:58 PM.

My GMG referral Link: GMG Link

If you're new to GMG, use the link above and we both get free $2 credit when you spend at least $2 on your first purchase.

#1987 Severose

Severose

I'm okie dokie and loopy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2012 - 04:48 PM

I kinda wish they brought back those kinds of "physical drm." Maybe as a collectible b/c those things bring be back. Better than activation limits or TAGE

I don't know man... Those activation software UIs make me feel all fuzzy inside. Lets me know that someone's got an eye on me, protecting me from myself. ;)

CAG: a place to buy/sell/trade games the right way.

GMG ref link: $2 when you spend $2, instantly!

SwagBucks
: Take surveys, click shit to get points to buy gift cards. Get a $5 Amazon GC on a slow month.

http://www.gamersgat.../ggtagi/3687091 Posted Image

#1988 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2012 - 04:55 PM

One of the more creative forms of copy protection was in Infocom's Leather Goddess of Phobos (1986)

The game featured no copy protection as such, but like many Infocom games, it included puzzles that were nearly impossible to solve without hints from the accompanying documentation (the so-called feelies). Leather Goddesses included the following feelies, one of which was quite uncommon among Infocom's games:

• A small scratch and sniff card which bore seven numbered areas (at certain points in the game, the player would be instructed to scratch a certain number and then whiff the resulting odor. Given the possibilities for a game featuring a "lewd mode", the scents were relatively innocuous, such as pizza and chocolate.)
  • The Adventures of Lane Mastodon, a 3-D comic book containing vital hints to the game
  • 3-D glasses for the Lane Mastodon comic book
  • A double-sided map of the catacombs
This creative take on copy protection earned Leather Goddesses a SPA Excellence in Software Award for Best Software Packaging in 1987.

And yes, it spawned a sequel: Leather Goddesses of Phobos 2: Gas Pump Girls Meet the Pulsating Inconvenience from Planet X! (1992)

#1989 Syntax Error

Syntax Error

Tortue d'Art

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2012 - 04:56 PM

As a youth, I copied my friend's "Starflight" by getting a large sheet of graph paper and meticulously hand-copying the paper star map the game used as DRM.

I obviously had way too much time on my hands back then and probably should have been off discovering girls.

And, if I just waited, I could have gotten it PLUS Starflight 2 for only six bucks!

#1990 Financial Panther

Financial Panther

Qui audet adipiscitur

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2012 - 04:59 PM

One of the more creative forms of copy protection was in Infocom's Leather Goddess of Phobos (1987)

That is awesome! I would totally trade "always online" DRM for that. :razz:

I don't know man... Those activation software UIs make me feel all fuzzy inside. Lets me know that someone's got an eye on me, protecting me from myself. ;)

@atreyuevr

Do you use the same username at Gamersgate? If so, I think I saw you on the flame war post at GG.
My GMG referral Link: GMG Link

If you're new to GMG, use the link above and we both get free $2 credit when you spend at least $2 on your first purchase.

#1991 hal

hal

Game Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2012 - 05:05 PM

Looks like Waveform is the new daily deal. -75% $6.99 $1.74

81/100 Metacritic, but mixed user-reviews.

Any thoughts on this one? Looks tempting.

76561197971332172.png

#1992 Devil May Cry

Devil May Cry

Witty remark

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2012 - 05:05 PM

What's BMDM? I don't remember a level with that name.

If I remember correctly, Black Mesa DeathMatch

ZuREZ44.jpg

I pay $20 a month for my phone bill. Sign up through me and we both get $25 off our bills! That's a free month! PM me for more info if you're curious.

#1993 evildeadjedi

evildeadjedi

RIP DIO \m/ \m/

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2012 - 05:12 PM

One of the more creative forms of copy protection was in Infocom's Leather Goddess of Phobos (1986)

"The game begins in Upper Sandusky, Ohio, in 1936".

Hmmm? :-s
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#1994 glennfrank

glennfrank

My squeedily spooch!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2012 - 05:13 PM

IndieGala happy hour is on.
I'm still not buying it, since the only one I'm interested in is Sacred Gold, but wanted to pass this along in case anyone was interested.

#1995 Severose

Severose

I'm okie dokie and loopy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2012 - 05:17 PM

IndieGala happy hour is on.
I'm still not buying it, since the only one I'm interested in is Sacred Gold, but wanted to pass this along in case anyone was interested.

Indie Gala Happy Hour has been on for a while. You can snag a full bundle for $1.50-$2.00 if you visit the Group Buy Thread here.

CAG: a place to buy/sell/trade games the right way.

GMG ref link: $2 when you spend $2, instantly!

SwagBucks
: Take surveys, click shit to get points to buy gift cards. Get a $5 Amazon GC on a slow month.

http://www.gamersgat.../ggtagi/3687091 Posted Image

#1996 evildeadjedi

evildeadjedi

RIP DIO \m/ \m/

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2012 - 05:22 PM

Anyone heard from Broly? I was supposed to get one of the happy hour packs from him.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#1997 Jugglenaut

Jugglenaut

Horseshoe Goldfish

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2012 - 05:22 PM

Looks like Waveform is the new daily deal. -75% $6.99 $1.74

81/100 Metacritic, but mixed user-reviews.

Any thoughts on this one? Looks tempting.

I almost snagged this on the indie gala store for 2.50 with the use of half my points. Glad I waited, now I can even get the DLC with it for 2.

I haven't given the demo a try, but if I get any played tonight I'll make sure to leave a quick impression here. No promise to play, though, as I'm on call for work.

#1998 Naked Snake Eyes

Naked Snake Eyes

What would Snake do?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2012 - 05:56 PM

Waveform looks cool and is cheap as hell, I'm downloading the demo. 902MB. Weird it's only downloading 631.1MB after giving me the previous number and then saying something like "copying existing content".

#1999 Drabelincoln

Drabelincoln

Elephant in the room

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2012 - 06:31 PM

Waveform looks like bundle fodder. Will wait till it shows up I the inevitable indie royale.

#2000 glennfrank

glennfrank

My squeedily spooch!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2012 - 07:28 PM

Thank atreyuevr, I sent Fox a PM. If he has any slots open I will snag one from him.

#2001 MIND LINK

MIND LINK

MURDER ALL RAPPERS

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2012 - 08:09 PM

Waveform looks like bundle fodder. Will wait till it shows up I the inevitable indie royale.

Yeah, it has "Indie Royale" written all over it.

MARS

#2002 jatan11t

jatan11t

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2012 - 08:45 PM

Gotham City Impostors : Premium Card Pack 2 is free on facebook
http://apps.facebook...contests/288199

#2003 golfer

golfer

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2012 - 09:55 PM

I know this is the wrong thread but since you all are talking about old games, anyone remember the game with the blue and pink ants that would run around in a maze, had sex with each other, then have babies. Your job was to kill them all by placing bombs and mines all over the place. I forgot the name and have probably spent an hour or so searching google for it. I am only 21 so that is the first computer game I remember besides microsofts pinball which is easily found online.

More relevant, I remember in high school computer class someone brought a copy of counter strike and we proceeded to load it to all the computers and would have 45 minute CS LAN parties after we did 5 minutes of work.

#2004 vince_carter

vince_carter

what's a panini

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2012 - 10:08 PM

I know this is the wrong thread but since you all are talking about old games, anyone remember the game with the blue and pink ants that would run around in a maze, had sex with each other, then have babies. Your job was to kill them all by placing bombs and mines all over the place. I forgot the name and have probably spent an hour or so searching google for it. I am only 21 so that is the first computer game I remember besides microsofts pinball which is easily found online.

More relevant, I remember in high school computer class someone brought a copy of counter strike and we proceeded to load it to all the computers and would have 45 minute CS LAN parties after we did 5 minutes of work.

sounds like you're describing daikatana

Hand__Of__God.png

#2005 golfer

golfer

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2012 - 10:17 PM

Nope, just looked it up and that's not at all it. Haha I guess i didn't describe it very well. It's literally an over the top view of like a grey maze with little virtual ants (blue are male and pink are female) who have sex with each other when they run into each other, then about 10 seconds later the female pops out some baby ants, who in time, get bigger and become adults who can then mate with their brothers and sisters haha. All the while you are trying to control the ant population by strategically placing bombs and mines. But you only have a limited amount of bombs and mines so it made the game difficult. I've asked all my friends and nobody remembers it let alone the name. I figured out of all you diehard PC gamers someone will know it.

Also, if it helps anyone to remember, they made a funny sound when they were having sex. Sounded like a male breathing heavily, and when the lady gave birth it made a popping sound.

#2006 Naked Snake Eyes

Naked Snake Eyes

What would Snake do?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2012 - 10:20 PM

Waveform is pretty cool, most indie games don't appeal to me at all but this one's gotta be worth $1.74.

#2007 vince_carter

vince_carter

what's a panini

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2012 - 10:22 PM

Nope, just looked it up and that's not at all it. Haha I guess i didn't describe it very well. It's literally an over the top view of like a grey maze with little virtual ants (blue are male and pink are female) who have sex with each other when they run into each other, then about 10 seconds later the female pops out some baby ants, who in time, get bigger and become adults who can then mate with their brothers and sisters haha. All the while you are trying to control the ant population by strategically placing bombs and mines. But you only have a limited amount of bombs and mines so it made the game difficult. I've asked all my friends and nobody remembers it let alone the name. I figured out of all you diehard PC gamers someone will know it.

Also, if it helps anyone to remember, they made a funny sound when they were having sex. Sounded like a male breathing heavily, and when the lady gave birth it made a popping sound.

still sounds like daikatana, are you sure that's not it?

Hand__Of__God.png

#2008 golfer

golfer

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2012 - 10:35 PM

When I google daikatana all I get is a FPS shooting game. If that's what you are referring to then that is not it. Google "maze-o-rama", it looks very similar to that but with the gameplay I described.

#2009 evildeadjedi

evildeadjedi

RIP DIO \m/ \m/

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2012 - 10:46 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2010 Steampunk Willie

Steampunk Willie

Friendly Neighborhood Lurker

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2012 - 11:11 PM

I 'lol'ed.