Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal thread V5. The big sale is over. New thread coming soon.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12912 replies to this topic

#2071 Corpekata

Corpekata

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:58 AM

I really don't see how many of the side missions in Sleeping Dogs are related to the characters. 9 times out of 10 they're for random people who MAYBE appeared in the far background of one scene. And when they do involve the characters, they're kind of awful. What the hell was with that stalking mission? Why am I creeping on this chick I've had a single date with and acting like a jealous boyfriend out of nowhere? When I took that mission I thought he was tailing her because she works at a criminal hotspot, and thought he could work her/the dude she was meeting from a police angle. Nope, just creepily obsessed over a chick I sang karaoke with.

It's actually one of my bigger gripes with the game. The main story escalates so quickly, and characters disappear for random amounts of time for no apparent reason, that I think they missed a good opportunity to involve some of the characters. Instead of the random Face Missions involving random weirdos, make it a mission for Jackie, or Winston. Have that meathead that's always harrassing you in the early game lead you to the fight clubs or something.

#2072 asheskitty

asheskitty

Friend of NakedBladeEyes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 September 2012 - 04:32 AM

I challenge any of you in the thread to name two things of consequence that happened in any GTA4 episode

I agree with you on the writing and would add that it is lacking in that it rarely builds up to something in story. GTA4 main story line: when my annoying cousin's Taxi Depot gets bombed (thus necessitating the move from the starter pad to Roman's GF's apartment on the northside. Later one when taking out some two-bit gangster (part of the mission set from the guy released from prision) and if you make a choice you keep his luxury pad. Both are pad-location related, no confidence, (I was trying to remember the story that lead to Niko being able to purchase the place mid-town and move out of Roman's GF's place. The other memorable bits are the neurotic FBI snitch you date for a while and the rasta dude, "Clucking Chicken, I love tha shit rasta".

Yeah your right. I love the side missions in SD because unlike GTA, they are not just pointless filler. Every side mission feels meaningful, even if it's just collecting some car for some guy, you really feel the impact from the world.

I really think the only reason I like the PS2 GTA games more was when I bet the game I can spend hours screwing around doing nothing but killing peds in hilarious ways. But for sheer story and world, SD takes it.

Oh yes, GTA side missions tend to have the (in character) "why am I doing this shit?" GTA 1, VC, & SA, I could just play for a bit causing mayhem, robbing/killing/cop chases and have a blast. (Never played GTA III)

#2073 hal

hal

Game Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 September 2012 - 04:39 AM

There wasn't a single part of the game that wasn't boring, even in couch co-op I found myself pining for better games. Loot collecting, questing, shooting, traversing, none of these were strong enough to keep me at the table no matter how many times I tried to like it

Everything? Well, ok. I figured you didn't like the story or something. To each his own.

76561197971332172.png

#2074 emwearz

emwearz

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 September 2012 - 04:39 AM

Imo, the GTA4 storyline was too grim and serious. GTA:VC had the storyline/setting that most appealed to me, 1980s Miami, a minor thug working his way to the top. GTA:SA didn't appeal to be as much but was still better than GTA4, early 1990s LA/SF/LV a wronged victim/gangster trying to set things right, gangsta style. I haven't played GTA4:EEFL yet.

I loved VC, I love Scarface (and I am a massive Al Pacino fan, hence the avatar), and the many elements the game borrows from it, the characters were enjoyable, etc. The problem I had with Vice City was that when you get close to the end, they force you to do so many shitty and boring (A to B) side quests before you can do the finale. They have NOTHING to do with the games story, Rockstar just throw in so much bullshit filler missions it makes you bored hardcore. That was a complete grind and broke the game to me.

"a minor thug working his way to the top" Pretty much all sandbox "GTA-Esque" games center there story around this.

I also really enjoyed in SD, that there was not that much emphasis on gunplay, even though I feel it one uped GTA's sloppy gun play in most ways.
Sign up to GreenManGaming using this link, spend $2 and you will be credited with $2 to your account!
http://www.greenmang.../?gmgr=gusasuku

#2075 Umair56

Umair56

CHINA DON'T CARE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:12 AM

As a minor thug myself, I can relate to the GTA:VC storyline. It gets me bro.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/umair56
Umair56 on Origin, PSN, Battle.net, etc etc

#2076 Severose

Severose

I'm okie dokie and loopy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:19 AM

As a minor thug myself, I can relate to the GTA:VC storyline. It gets me bro.

I lol'd

Posted Image

CAG: a place to buy/sell/trade games the right way.

GMG ref link: $2 when you spend $2, instantly!

3687091.png76561197965577424.png

#2077 DPsycho

DPsycho

Descendant of Erdrick

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:21 AM

I loved GTA3. It was one of the first games I got when we finally got a PS2. Beat the game, got most of the side missions done, spent days just goofing around.

Later borrowed Vice City from a friend. Couldn't stand it. For the four or five hours I played, Vercetti just kept complaining about everything. I much preferred the silent protagonist of 3, made it easier to immerse myself, I guess. I'd rather be playing it cool than whining about everything that happens and insulting everyone behind their backs.

Never played SA or 4. No real desire.

#2078 spoderman

spoderman

I thought Harvey Dent said that

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:25 AM

I lol'd

Posted Image

#2079 Frithsblessing

Frithsblessing

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:35 AM

GTA4's episodes don't fix it but they're nice enough if you like the Rockstar rambling writing even half as much as Rockstar itself likes their own writing.

The problem about GTA4 wasn't NECESSARILY the grim and seriousness of it. SD is serious as hell and mixes in the right amount of camp and just good writing to carry the game. My problem, and this carries over to Max Payne 3 and RDR too, is just the Houser writing has this affectation it can't rid itself of. Writing incessant gibbering monologues of parties, drunks, drugs, etc all with a sort of stoned college freshman's wannabe counter-culture rambling... I can't even put it properly into words but it is the sort of writing that thinks itself much, MUCH better than it actually is.

Like, for instance, I challenge any of you in the thread to name two things of consequence that happened in any GTA4 episode, RDR, RDR:UN, or Max Payne 3 that did not happen in the last two missions of either game, from memory (CAGs who JUST BOUGHT MP3 I almost think to exclude from this challenge but I dunno, it's almost even money.). Sleeping Dogs, you do not have that problem.

I also have some issues with the consequences and power levels and what not in each game. Why was that neurotic loser in GTA4 anything approaching a denouement for the game? WE FINALLY DID IT ITS OVER CUZEEN. Because you killed THIS inconsequential beta male? Good grief. And yet for all the people you murder, all the powerful, powerful friends you have made and have dirt on, that Russian you completely ignored still makes you piss your pants? Oh wait, no, he was saved for the episodes where he was another terrible final boss. SA had a similar issue with Tenpenny but at least he was voiced by Samuel L. Jackson. I won't even get started on how hard they nerfed Max. Bah, I could keep ranting for another couple of pages but I still wouldn't make sense.

What is your aim with this challenge?

I found plenty of "things that happened" throughout RDR contained consequence, but that doesn't mean I expect others to place the same importance on them. Also, I don't begrudge others if they feel moved by something that doesn't strike me. People have different taste and value in art.
Posted Image

#2080 jatan11t

jatan11t

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:50 AM

I loved GTA3. It was one of the first games I got when we finally got a PS2. Beat the game, got most of the side missions done, spent days just goofing around.

Later borrowed Vice City from a friend. Couldn't stand it. For the four or five hours I played, Vercetti just kept complaining about everything. I much preferred the silent protagonist of 3, made it easier to immerse myself, I guess. I'd rather be playing it cool than whining about everything that happens and insulting everyone behind their backs.

I lasted a couple more hours than you. Got to the horrendous rc helicopter mission and called it quits.

#2081 dfg

dfg

Impecunious Ass Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 September 2012 - 06:08 AM

Everything? Well, ok. I figured you didn't like the story or something. To each his own.

The main game's ending lacked oomph (the DLCs did a better job wrapping things up) but overall the writing was hilariously entertaining. The gameplay itself scratched several itches, but honestly I found playing with friends a bit frustrating, especially with the lack of drop-in/drop-out support. To call something you find boring "awful" is lazy. There are tons of games that try to do part of what Borderlands does that are far worse technically and aesthetically.
¡Viva los CAGs!
Posted Image

#2082 dfg

dfg

Impecunious Ass Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 September 2012 - 06:18 AM

I lasted a couple more hours than you. Got to the horrendous rc helicopter mission and called it quits.

That sequence reminded me of older games where there would just be these ridiculously difficult and seemingly pointless areas, but you grind through them to see it through. If Vice City was a tribute to 80s cops show themes, San Andreas did the same for the 90s gangsta rap films, but being in control of the action makes it freaking awesome. I had one of those moments playing San Andreas, where you're crossing the map in a jet and you can bail out thousands of feet above another part of the (game) world and parachute in to street level, with barely any loading. Awed me how far games had come to that point. Also, Jackson was good (although he's one of Hollywood's most overrated) but Woods stole the show.
¡Viva los CAGs!
Posted Image

#2083 Flowette

Flowette

Level 64 Tea Drinking Royalty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:25 AM

Good discussion today! +rep

I'm playing through Saints Row: The Third at the moment after I was gifted it for a wedding present (better than 99% of other gifts we got). It's massively over the top, silly, crude, and most of all it's great fun. I'll do a proper Steam recommendation when I finish it but i'd definitely put it on your wish list if you like sandbox action games.

You don't need to have played SR1 or SR2 to be honest, storyline and characters are introduced V quickly.

Oh and grab all the DLC too. The genkibowl pack is silly fun.

Personal favourite moment? Probably the mission where you have to drive around with a tiger for company in order to learn "courage". Yes. That silly.

#2084 streakermaximus

streakermaximus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:22 AM

Personal favourite moment? Probably the mission where you have to drive around with a tiger for company in order to learn "courage". Yes. That silly.

Ricky Bobby supports this mission.

#2085 imac2much

imac2much

The Angry Baker

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 September 2012 - 12:43 PM

Good discussion today! +rep

I'm playing through Saints Row: The Third at the moment after I was gifted it for a wedding present (better than 99% of other gifts we got). It's massively over the top, silly, crude, and most of all it's great fun. I'll do a proper Steam recommendation when I finish it but i'd definitely put it on your wish list if you like sandbox action games.

You don't need to have played SR1 or SR2 to be honest, storyline and characters are introduced V quickly.

Oh and grab all the DLC too. The genkibowl pack is silly fun.

My personal favorites:
Spoiler

:applause:

However, I thought the DLC was a major disappointment. The gameplay was decent, but each DLC really lacked the over-the-top wackiness that the main campaign had... Problem with Clones was probably the closest in terms of wacky gameplay and story, but even though I only paid like $3 or 4 for the DLC, I thought I got ripped off :(
Posted Image

#2086 Zen Rukasu

Zen Rukasu

Yo No Comprendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 September 2012 - 12:44 PM

My brother was the first to get a PS2. He didn't have any games so we just played THPS on it. The next day I saw him okaying GTA3 and my jaw dropped.

It's unfortunate that you didn't enjoy Vice City. I was was turned off at first, but Vercetti added a new whole new level to GTA's story-telling through hid dialogue and I think it was for the better.

#2087 Syntax Error

Syntax Error

Tortue d'Art

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 September 2012 - 01:03 PM

My one complaint about SRTT (and that's not to say I didn't enjoy it because I did) was that, for the supposed head of the Saints, I was treated as a lackey for many of the missions. So-and-so says get this person, rescue that person, bodyguard this person --- shouldn't you guys be bodyguarding ME instead of me following you with a rifle as you run errands? I found it more fulfilling to just go around and cause mayhem than to have orders barked at me by someone who just joined the crew a day ago.

I guess that's just a limitation most games haven't figured out how to overcome: how to lead you along a plot and make you feel like it was your idea. But, again, I only bring this up because plots are being discussed. As a game; SRTT was still hella fun :D

#2088 gamegirl79

gamegirl79

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 September 2012 - 01:07 PM

Ever since I installed my new video card on Friday I've been tempted to buy a bunch of new games just to celebrate the fact I can actually play moderately graphically-demanding games. I keep reminding myself I already have a bunch in my backlog... But that's just not the same. :P

I'm in the same boat. Picked up a Radeon HD 6870 last week and now I have the urge to buy a bunch of new games so I can set the graphics to ultra and look at the eye candy. I can't seem to stop playing SRTT long enough to buy anything though, so my wallet is thanking me!

#2089 imac2much

imac2much

The Angry Baker

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 September 2012 - 01:12 PM

My one complaint about SRTT (and that's not to say I didn't enjoy it because I did) was that, for the supposed head of the Saints, I was treated as a lackey for many of the missions. So-and-so says get this person, rescue that person, bodyguard this person --- shouldn't you guys be bodyguarding ME instead of me following you with a rifle as you run errands? I found it more fulfilling to just go around and cause mayhem than to have orders barked at me by someone who just joined the crew a day ago.

I guess that's just a limitation most games haven't figured out how to overcome: how to lead you along a plot and make you feel like it was your idea. But, again, I only bring this up because plots are being discussed. As a game; SRTT was still hella fun :D

Haha, I agree with you, but I think this is a problem in every open world game I've ever played...
Posted Image

#2090 Sophita

Sophita

CCO Coconut Company

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 September 2012 - 01:15 PM

Me too! But I just finished it, I have to say, the main missions (Green BLIP on radar) are some of the most entertaining and engaging story missions I have seen in a sandbox game. I tend to stay away from the genre because I get bored, but Sleeping Dogs was like crack.

After finally finishing Sleeping Dogs it was a overall fun entertaining little game, However the main character was by far the creepiest and most borderline rapist I have ever seen or played in any game, just due to how the "romance" was treated in the game it seemed so out of character with the rest of his "character"

Early spoiler with the "romance" options.

Spoiler

Posted Image

#2091 imac2much

imac2much

The Angry Baker

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 September 2012 - 01:55 PM

After finally finishing Sleeping Dogs it was a overall fun entertaining little game, However the main character was by far the creepiest and most borderline rapist I have ever seen or played in any game, just due to how the "romance" was treated in the game it seemed so out of character with the rest of his "character"

Haha, I think a lot of the plot points in Sleeping Dogs is funny if you come at it through a lens of HK cinema rather than game narrative.

Spoiler

Posted Image

#2092 Drabelincoln

Drabelincoln

Elephant in the room

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 September 2012 - 01:57 PM

My favorite thing to do in saints row the third was calling up Cheapy D and beating him with the huge purple dildo bat.

#2093 6er

6er

XBOX, GO HOME

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:14 PM

My twin boys are doing very well. Been spending a little time here and there on the new system whenrun home from the hospital to take care of the dogs.
Got my new system fixed. Had a really jacked Corsair Pro series PSU. Anyway, had Metro 2033 maxed on everything DX11 at 1080 res and it ran great.

Doubt Ill have much time for anything gaming for months, but I'll keep on the deals for when I do have a few moments. the kids are amazingly calm and great sleepers. The Intensive Care nurses are amazed, so that's saying something!

#2094 facls

facls

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:23 PM

I finished SRTT a couple of weeks ago and it's great fun indeed. I also agree that the highlight is meeting the mayor... let's leave it at that. Too bad the mayor doesn't appear that often during the game.

#2095 - Glenn -

- Glenn -

The CAG formerly known as glennfrank

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:54 PM

SRTT is one of my favorite games at this point. I pretty much loved it.

#2096 ObsidianSpire

ObsidianSpire

Obsidian FTW!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 September 2012 - 04:21 PM

@Flowette: Glad to hear you like the game. I shall aim to always provide the rare (Top 1% FTW; blow up the other 99% with your tax rebates :lol:), entertaining wedding gift.

The main game's ending lacked oomph (the DLCs did a better job wrapping things up) but overall the writing was hilariously entertaining. The gameplay itself scratched several itches, but honestly I found playing with friends a bit frustrating, especially with the lack of drop-in/drop-out support. To call something you find boring "awful" is lazy. There are tons of games that try to do part of what Borderlands does that are far worse technically and aesthetically.

Borderlands 1 had partial drop in/out. Public games allowed this as long as the host did not leave. Private games didn't have an auto-allow friends to join option, but your friends could drop in/out if you send invites to them, which takes 20 seconds max. Honestly, never had an issue with that aspect of the game as my friends would play for long stretches of time and set up time was negligible in comparison. BL1 had issues, but very little were with core gameplay mechanics; mostly pretty bad UI design, inconsistent pacing problems, or physics engine issues with specific locations/vehicle control.

Regarding GTA/Rockstar storylines, they do feel somewhat hollow with their simplified choice system, but in general I enjoyed most of the individual components if not the complete composition. Not going to read any of the SD posts because I already bought that and need to place it on the top of the backlog. :D

jybOVvmATuEqX.png

Support Team CAG for Extra Life 2013 in November! Join us in our quest or donate. :D LINK

Current Contest/Giveaway: 

Donate to Extra Life & win one of 12 signed Red Orchestra 2 copies!

#2097 Flowette

Flowette

Level 64 Tea Drinking Royalty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:06 PM

As a sidenote to all this GTA-alike discussion I should probably drop a positive word in for Red Dead: Redemption. I thought it was excellent, although whether we'll see a PC port of it I'm not sure (guess it would have happened by now).

If you have a console and a spare week or two it's well worth playing. Being made to ride everywhere on horseback does a good job of making the world feel "big" again :)

#2098 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:06 PM

Guess what the Daily Deal is...

Spoiler

#2099 poxi

poxi

something went wrong

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:07 PM

Sworcery 50% off. Indie game which was available in $1 humble bundle. Yes, this is madness.

#2100 walkonshadows

walkonshadows

Terminal CAGtosis

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:08 PM

Guess what the Daily Deal is...

Spoiler

Damn you Mooby!!! I kept hitting refresh for that deal knowing it was going to be really good, or really bad, either way post worthy, and you ninja me by mere seconds!!! and that's taking time to put it in a spoiler tag too.You Sir, are no Gentleman!

I'll jump ahead of everyone else right now then....tomorrow's deal is....wait for it.....Magicka!

Anyone who wants a 72-Hour guest pass to The Secret World, just PM me your email.

LeCuPXZ.jpgUUVGik1.jpgDEjnR1E.jpg

CEh38V2.jpgKxJkMdH.jpgJtnnbZt.jpg