Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal thread V5. The big sale is over. New thread coming soon.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12912 replies to this topic

#211 jatan11t

jatan11t

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 August 2012 - 11:29 AM

Looks like GMG is giving away another free game:
http://www.greenmang...s/action/greed/

#212 Larce80

Larce80

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 August 2012 - 11:49 AM

:hot: a useful post, thanks!
Sign up at Greenmangaming with my link and we'll both get $2 credit when you make a purchase :)

#213 Rsmobile

Rsmobile

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:04 PM

is this 4chan or a deals board?

I have no problems with the Sleeping Dogs port

#214 Genocidal

Genocidal

Summer of Punk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:25 PM

just played sleeping dogs and its a HORRIBLE port, what a shame

What were your issues? I've had no problems and actually thought it was a pretty good port, especially once you install the HD textures DLC.
x8uorcw.jpggenocidal.png
[img=http://steamsigs.com/steam.php?id=genocidal&pngimg=http://i.imgur.com/fLZMY.png&tborder=0.png

If I would go back in time, the one person in history I'd like to make tap out would have to be... Jesus

#215 Sophita

Sophita

CCO Coconut Company

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:29 PM

Their site is sinking and getting slower and slower by the second I guess offering a free game is horrible for your bandwidth.

If only they had one of these....

Posted Image

Also their Green Monkeys shirt is amazing :bouncy:

Also be careful! when checking out with the free game, Appearntly your games are auto-checked to trade in. Checking out ended up trading in my copy of high school dreams for 2.50 >.<
Posted Image

#216 Draekon

Draekon

Kung-Fu Panda

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:31 PM

What were your issues? I've had no problems and actually thought it was a pretty good port, especially once you install the HD textures DLC.

Same, no issues here either.

#217 hal

hal

Game Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:41 PM

Briefly read the description of Field Runners, it seems to be a Tower Defense game? If I already have my share of TD games via Defense Gride and Orcs Must Die!, would I enjoy it?

As others have said, it's mostly an open-field kind of TD game. Don't expect the polish of Defense Grid, but it's not bad. Despite the generic theme I'd say it's a step above games like iBomber. It won't replace your other TD games but if you're just in love with the genre and want one more slightly different take on it then you probably won't go wrong if you get it for cheap.

76561197971332172.png

#218 Neuropod

Neuropod

Fine work, skeleton!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:50 PM

Somehow my copy of Divinity that I got free from was "traded in" toward Greed on GMG. Baffling.
76561197996844513.png

#219 Sophita

Sophita

CCO Coconut Company

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:53 PM

Somehow my copy of Divinity that I got free from was "traded in" toward Greed on GMG. Baffling.

Yep happened with my copy of High School Dreams. Be careful when buying Greed as your games are set to auto-tradein :wall: This is really an annoying system only good thing is I doubled what I payed for the game but would still rather have the game >.<
Posted Image

#220 facls

facls

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:59 PM

I have yet to actually play the game, but I did the benchmark and got 30 FPS min and 66 max on 1440x900, all set to high, with the HD textures. It looked pretty good to me.

#221 Syntax Error

Syntax Error

Tortue d'Art

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:11 PM

Weird, I've never had a game auto-trade in on GMG (including the Greed :BD I just 'bought'). I'd contact support and ask for your game back if you want it -- obviously you weren't trading in games to buy something that's free. GMG usually seems responsive to site glitch issues; as well they should considering how often they have site glitches.

#222 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Slut Shamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:17 PM

To everyone talking about what kind of port Sleeping Dogs is, wouldn't you really have had to play the console version to speak on how well it was ported over? Not that it is any excuse for any bugs, but many times the console version is just as buggy.

#223 DRM-Free

DRM-Free

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:17 PM

Their site is sinking and getting slower and slower by the second I guess offering a free game is horrible for your bandwidth.

GMG has dealt with worse, humorously enough. I remember when they offered one free game to all new sign-ups. I was able to grab Ninja Blade, but it took an unbelievably long time to get from the main page to the completed "transaction." You'd think GMG's staff would have learned by now. (Though, in my experience, intuitive design isn't GMG's strong suit.)

If one truly wants Greed, have a half-hour handy and some reading material. (I recommend the brand new Steam Thread on CAG.)

#224 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:18 PM

Nothing that adds it your Google account though?

No. They want to do a DRM free implementation. Also keep in mind that some Android based devices do not have access to the Google market so this way makes sure that everyone can use those games.

If you are concerned about updates the app should do push notifications when the games or the app itself have an update available.

Also you are incorrect on Spirits, it is not currently out for Android and this bundle will be it's debut. The one you are thinking of is Spirit HD, which is not in this bundle.

steam_sig.png

#225 Guest_ne_zavarj_*

Guest_ne_zavarj_*

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:21 PM

Get Games :

Darksiders II 22% off

edit : Hmm . " CAG in Training " .

#226 DPsycho

DPsycho

Descendant of Erdrick

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:26 PM

Well this explains everything, pacman is really a langolier! :)

Great. I can never manage to fall asleep on flights. I'm doomed.

#227 Crizume

Crizume

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:27 PM

Mann vs Machine launch day.

Can't wait to try it out. To bad I work tonight.

#228 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:27 PM

Hmm, I notice High School Dreams is worth $2.50 trade in now which is twice what it was selling for yesterday. If I didn't actually want it, I'd trade it in. :lol:

steam_sig.png

#229 Angelwatch

Angelwatch

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:32 PM

I'm still playing through my summer sale backlog but new thread! Weee!

#230 INCyr

INCyr

Devotee of CAGthulhu

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:35 PM

Hmm, I notice High School Dreams is worth $2.50 trade in now which is twice what it was selling for yesterday. If I didn't actually want it, I'd trade it in. :lol:

Damn, I knew I should have picked it up. (That, and it was intriguing, I just knew I'd never remember to play it.)

#231 IkedaTeramusa

IkedaTeramusa

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:38 PM

I wish there were a way I could call Steam and ask them to put something back on sale. I finally decided to take the Half-Life complete plunge but can't find it anywhere on sale. And KNOWING that it was $10 bucks in the Winter Sale just rubs my nose in it further.

#232 warreni

warreni

Eminently punchable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:43 PM

Farming Simulator 2013: "thrilling agricultural realism"
698770.png

If you're not having fun, you're doing it wrong.

#233 BrolyB593

BrolyB593

I'm Cheap!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:49 PM

I already picked up my one copy from GMG for $7.20 so I can't buy a second copy.

Does an awesome CAG want to pick up Tower Wars with the 20% code for $7.20 and I can pay them back?

#234 Preedatore

Preedatore

Hamburger Thread

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 August 2012 - 02:12 PM

I wish there were a way I could call Steam and ask them to put something back on sale. I finally decided to take the Half-Life complete plunge but can't find it anywhere on sale. And KNOWING that it was $10 bucks in the Winter Sale just rubs my nose in it further.

I still have my stack of Half Life 2 retail discs. I think it was 7 discs.

#235 Draekon

Draekon

Kung-Fu Panda

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 August 2012 - 02:13 PM

To everyone talking about what kind of port Sleeping Dogs is, wouldn't you really have had to play the console version to speak on how well it was ported over? Not that it is any excuse for any bugs, but many times the console version is just as buggy.

Nearly all games that have console released simultaneously or after the console release are almost always a port. It's a good idea for a company to do in general. What people bitch about when calling things a "console port" usually have to do with zero PC customizability with settings and they didn't take any time what so ever to make it more PC friendly or optimize it. This is usually most apparent when you have a high-end machine and it drags ass because they didn't test a damn thing before releasing it on PC. This is not the case with Sleeping Dogs as there are obvious signs that they did do a bit extra to help with the PC release. The only two things that bother me about it are that when it's full screen, when I receive an email to my gmail account and it pops up and causes my game to go windowed mode. Other than that, there seems to be an issue with the game hitting video cards harder than most other games in the heat department. Though when I'm in windowed mode it's fine.

One particular thing I noticed is that if I'm using a controller (prefer it for driving/sprinting) and then set my controller down to start using keyboard and mouse in the middle of say a tutorial, it picks up the transition right away and instantly changes all of the tip icons to the K&M icons. I wish more games would transition this smoothly.

The game isn't the most optimized for High/Extreme Anti-Aliasing from what I'm seeing/hearing. I believe that's what is causing my video card heat issue (which isn't really bad since it is only around 70C, it's just the fan goes above 50% and is pretty noticeable on my 7950). That's been the only real problem I've been reading about and I've put a good 3.5-4 hours into the game already with zero issues outside of what I mentioned here.

#236 IkedaTeramusa

IkedaTeramusa

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 August 2012 - 02:17 PM

I own the first half-life but that was on an OLD steam account (right around when steam first opened up). Back in my non-married days it was unimportant in the scheme of things to keep up with keys and passwords. So many keys lost.

This is why I fit in perfectly at CAG... I bought the box and it just sat in my backlog :-) Way back then.

#237 Severose

Severose

I'm okie dokie and loopy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 August 2012 - 02:19 PM

I own the first half-life but that was on an OLD steam account (right around when steam first opened up). Back in my non-married days it was unimportant in the scheme of things to keep up with keys and passwords. So many keys lost.

You could probably recover the account by emailing Steam support. They'd probably just have you verify a couple of things on the account and you'd have it back in no time (3-5 days Steam Support time). ;)

CAG: a place to buy/sell/trade games the right way.

GMG ref link: $2 when you spend $2, instantly!

3687091.png76561197965577424.png

#238 JanusDS

JanusDS

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 August 2012 - 02:45 PM

Ok, this is a sorta random question that I've been wondering for awhile now but just never thought to ask - what is the cause of having to create new "Steam Deal" threads every so often, i.e. V3, V4, etc.? Is it because there is a maximum post limit per thread or something (sorry I haven't read all the forum terms, rules, etc. yet :razz:)? Anyway, just wondering. :)

On the topic of Steam, I'm kinda glad that there hasn't been much in the way of great deals on games that I care about that I don't already have since the summer sale. I have bought a total of only 6 items from Steam since then, some of them being collections with multiple games, and 1 Steam game from GMG, all of which I would consider to have been at great prices...this is pretty good for me considering the bargain junky that I am. :lol: Anybody else been buying much lately or just trying to catch up on backlog?

Also, I ordered a new desktop PC that should be a beast for gaming that I will hopefully receive in 3-4 weeks. I was going to build my own; but I had been pricing out buying the components for what I wanted to build vs. what I could get from CyberPower PC, which offers an incredible amount of customization and lets you know exactly what components you're getting down to the manufacturer and model # in most cases, except for some "off brand" components that are cheaper, none of which I selected. So last week when I finally decided to pull the trigger, I checked everything again and because of all these "back to school deals" that Cyber Power was having, I was able to get a PC with slightly better components, in terms of features/power, and relatively equal quality for just under $20 more after shipping than I could build one for. So I figured $20 to save the hassle of building and any of the components potentially damaged during shipping was worth it. And the hardware has a 3 year warranty and there's a 1 year warranty on labor, which I don't much care about since I can diagnose and repair pretty much any problem with Windows based PC's and desktop hardware in general.

So anyway, the tl;dr version is that while I could run most of my PC games at max settings on my laptop, there are a few newer ones that I know I couldn't do that for and plus I'll have the new desktop in an area that's better suited for gaming in terms of keyboard and mouse space, so hopefully I'm going to start knocking out some of my huge Steam backlog. :D

#239 Rsmobile

Rsmobile

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 August 2012 - 02:47 PM

High AA causing that heat? Good to know. Was wondering why my computer sounded like an Xbox with SD. I don't see the jaggies usually so I can turn that off.

#240 Guest_ne_zavarj_*

Guest_ne_zavarj_*

Posted 15 August 2012 - 02:47 PM

Farming Simulator 2013: "thrilling agricultural realism"

Well Farming Simulator 2011 Platinum Edition is still on the first place of the list of budget PC games category in Hungary . It's cost $8.78 in here .