Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal thread V5. The big sale is over. New thread coming soon.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12912 replies to this topic

#2461 Bizzquik

Bizzquik

Posted 09 September 2012 - 06:22 AM

They get them from Antarctica Wholesale!

Okay, two follow-up questions:

Generally speaking, what's the lowest price for a pre-order on a typical $50 retail game?
And, roughly, when is the best time to pull the trigger on a pre-order? Right when the game is first announced (i.e. 9 months before release)? Three months out? etc.

Thanks.

Steam ID: Bizzquik
Xbox Live Gamertag: Bizzquik
PSN Network ID: Bummblue
WiiU ID: Bizzquik

Proud user of PinnacleGameProfiler: turning beloved keyboard+mouse PC games into controller-enabled, couch-friendly gaming experiences.

#2462 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

couch slave

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2012 - 06:31 AM

Okay, two follow-up questions:

Generally speaking, what's the lowest price for a pre-order on a typical $50 retail game?
And, roughly, when is the best time to pull the trigger on a pre-order? Right when the game is first announced (i.e. 9 months before release)? Three months out? etc.

Thanks.

Best time to pick up a pre-order is when you find it somewhere for under $40. Generally speaking, that doesn't happen with every game (especially from companies like Activision), and you're not going to find it any lower. For example, Borderlands 2 was available for about $36 through a really good Amazon promotion. I don't think that has a lot to do with timing, you just have to keep your eyes open for the best promotion/price.

That said, pre-orders are only good if they come with bonuses that you're really interested in. Otherwise, if you can wait a year, you can easily get the game for 50% off or more (and obviously it doesn't always take that long; look at Spec Ops and Max Payne 3). Only pre-order games that you MUST play now; otherwise waiting will save you a lot of money.

Terraria - $1 (Steam),  X3: Terran Conflict - $2 (Steam)Fable: The Lost Chapters - $2 (Steam)

bZ2g3eF.png

#2463 Bizzquik

Bizzquik

Posted 09 September 2012 - 06:38 AM

Best time to pick up a pre-order is when you find it somewhere for under $40. Generally speaking, that doesn't happen with every game (especially from companies like Activision), and you're not going to find it any lower. For example, Borderlands 2 was available for about $36 through a really good Amazon promotion. I don't think that has a lot to do with timing, you just have to keep your eyes open for the best promotion/price.

That said, pre-orders are only good if they come with bonuses that you're really interested in. Otherwise, if you can wait a year, you can easily get the game for 50% off or more. Only pre-order games that you MUST play now; otherwise waiting will save you a lot of money.

Thanks for the reply.

I understand with games that waiting is preferable if the consumer can wait. I was thinking more about a game I really want to have for release - like Dishonored ($60 retail) or Bioshock Infinite ($50 retail).

I have Dishonored pre-ordered at NewEgg for $45 and Bioshock Infinite pre-ordered for $38. Sounds like that's as good as their gonna get prior to release (and immediately after release), eh?

Thanks again.

Proud user of PinnacleGameProfiler: turning beloved keyboard+mouse PC games into controller-enabled, couch-friendly gaming experiences.

#2464 pantsattack

pantsattack

Grant Thrift Auto

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2012 - 06:43 AM

Thanks for the reply.

I understand with games that waiting is preferable if the consumer can wait. I was thinking more about a game I really want to have for release - like Dishonored ($60 retail) or Bioshock Infinite ($50 retail).

I have Dishonored pre-ordered at NewEgg for $45 and Bioshock Infinite pre-ordered for $38. Sounds like that's as good as their gonna get prior to release (and immediately after release), eh?

Thanks again.

Pretty good deals. A couple other simple routes to deals are one building up credit at Green Man Gaming by trading in the free games they offer, and two, using an Amazon credit card to build up points and use the gift credit on games.

#2465 Bizzquik

Bizzquik

Posted 09 September 2012 - 06:45 AM

Pretty good deals. A couple other simple routes to deals are one building up credit at Green Man Gaming by trading in the free games they offer, and two, using an Amazon credit card to build up points and use the gift credit on games.

Thanks for the tips.

#2466 dfg

dfg

Impecunious Ass Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:11 AM

Borderlands 2 Pre-Order 40% off, $36 with voucher from Green Man Gaming (activates on Steam)
Not sure how long this lasts...

http://www.greenmang...rderlands-2-na/

Enter voucher code GMG25-1BW0K-K1A3G at checkout.

Thanks for the heads-up! It's still valid as of 5 minutes ago. I pulled the trigger making it around the 3rd pre-order I've done in the 5 years. I wonder if this counts as paying full-price... sure feels like it.
¡Viva los CAGs!
Posted Image

#2467 Drabelincoln

Drabelincoln

Town Drunk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:21 AM

Thanks for the heads-up! It's still valid as of 5 minutes ago. I pulled the trigger making it around the 3rd pre-order I've done in the 5 years. I wonder if this counts as paying full-price... sure feels like it.

I love borderlands but even at 36 dollars it felt like full price to me and I can't help but think that with the huge discounts it's getting pre release, and given 2k's track record on recent releases and their huge price cuts early on.....this is gonna bottom out quick.

#2468 dfg

dfg

Impecunious Ass Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:25 AM

I completely agree. I already have several friends who've pre-ordered though. I can resist their attempts to drag me into GW2, but I love me the wub wub.
¡Viva los CAGs!
Posted Image

#2469 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

couch slave

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2012 - 09:05 AM

I love borderlands but even at 36 dollars it felt like full price to me and I can't help but think that with the huge discounts it's getting pre release, and given 2k's track record on recent releases and their huge price cuts early on.....this is gonna bottom out quick.

I tend to agree with that too, but the pre-order stuff seems worth it enough. I know I'm going to want the Mechromancer class the second it's released, so... :-#

Terraria - $1 (Steam),  X3: Terran Conflict - $2 (Steam)Fable: The Lost Chapters - $2 (Steam)

bZ2g3eF.png

#2470 Drabelincoln

Drabelincoln

Town Drunk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2012 - 09:11 AM

I tend to agree with that too, but the pre-order stuff seems worth it enough. I know I'm going to want the Mechromancer class the second it's released, so... :-#

I was under the impression that the mechromancer class was for the less skilled making it kind of like a "girlfriend" class.

#2471 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

couch slave

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2012 - 09:18 AM

I was under the impression that the mechromancer class was for the less skilled making it kind of like a "girlfriend" class.

lol, I have no idea, I just think it sounds like a badass idea. Necromancer of the future. ;)

EDIT: Ah, I just looked it up. I see what you're saying. This sounds interesting though:

Hemingway told Eurogamer in an interview that he's thinking about using one of the Mechromancer's other skill trees as a counter point to the Best Friends Forever "girlfriend mode".

"Right now, I'm thinking of it as a hardcore mode. So if you are a really expert player, and you want to do some tricky, difficult things, this is the tree for you, for just a totally different experience. We're not ready to talk about it, because we have no idea if it's even going to pan out. But we've got some interesting ideas there."

bZ2g3eF.png

#2472 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2012 - 12:52 PM

Dump the Agility 3, when amazon has the 128GB agility 4 for $55 AR right now(are you a CAG or an imposter? really man, use a deals site). And if you can, look for or wait for a deal on a Samsung 830 SSD drive. its faster and more reliable, and on sale NO more than $20 more than that 3.

I have been tempted by the deals on the Agility 3 recently, even with the reliability issues. It seems inconclusive if they have been solved by firmware updates, so I have been passing.

I know there was a site where you could find the best price for a component (not Pricewatch) but I can't seem to find that site now.
Posted Image

#2473 Woodlands

Woodlands

spɹɐʍʞɔɐq sı ƃuıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2012 - 12:55 PM

Ahh ok, I didn't realize they just started the other day. I knew it was recently but I thought it started earlier in the week. Hopefully more people start voting!

Greenlight launched the last week of August, but not all games were up the first day. Grey Matter and Shantae only went up on Friday.

#2474 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2012 - 01:09 PM

So I noticed that my gamercard hasn't updated recently. When I tried to create a new one, it keeps saying my Steam profile isn't public. I wonder if all the changes has screwed up reporting.
Posted Image

#2475 paulcalypse

paulcalypse

Posted 09 September 2012 - 01:14 PM

I have been tempted by the deals on the Agility 3 recently, even with the reliability issues. It seems inconclusive if they have been solved by firmware updates, so I have been passing.

I know there was a site where you could find the best price for a component (not Pricewatch) but I can't seem to find that site now.

pcpartpicker.com?

TyranitarJr.png

#2476 Ag_SurfR

Ag_SurfR

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2012 - 02:20 PM

Thanks for the reply.

Thanks again.

i think newegg is discounting a bunch of pre-order game (49.99 and up) by 12 dollars. check them out. i'm pretty sure i saw bioshock infinite and dishonored on there.

Auen1.png?7125

#2477 plft

plft

Ploceus castaneiceps

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2012 - 02:43 PM

pcpartpicker.com?

This site is amazing, thanks for the link.

#2478 yangwenli

yangwenli

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2012 - 02:51 PM

I think Project Zomboid is at around 28%. I've decided Greenlight just annoys me. I see all kinds of stupid games with stickman, or skinnyman, or stupid tall gangly man, or whatever the heck that stupid flavor of the week character is with a bunch of upvotes, and then a classic like Silent Storm with no love. A game like Silent Storm shouldn't even have to on Greenlight, it should just be a no brainer.

Silent Storm Gold is on gog for 9.99. I'm waiting for a 50% off sale myself to pick it up there. :)

I figure it'll be put on sale eventually so if you don't want to wait, that's another option. I mention it because it's the only site I've seen it for sale at all unless you wanted to pay insane prices for the CD version on eBay or Amazon.

#2479 pantsattack

pantsattack

Grant Thrift Auto

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2012 - 04:24 PM

This site is amazing, thanks for the link.

Totally, digging that site. It may make it too easy to order a computer though!

#2480 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2012 - 04:53 PM

pcpartpicker.com?

It isn't the one I'm thinking of, but it is useful.
Posted Image

#2481 hal

hal

Game Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2012 - 05:03 PM

Daily Deal

Terraria 66% off $9.99 $3.39

best price ever: 2.49 USD (at Steam on May 17, 2011)

76561197971332172.png

#2482 MysterD

MysterD

CAG's "Favorite" DRM-Cashew & Cylon-Toaster

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2012 - 05:39 PM

MK: Arcade Kollection -> req. Steam activation + G4WL = $5 on Amazon DVG.
(Includes MK1 + 2; and UMK3)

So, for those who might have it - how is the PC port of MK:AK which also uses that god-awful G4WL?

Big fan of the old-school MK series (MK1 + 2; and UMK3).

#2483 DRM-Free

DRM-Free

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2012 - 05:47 PM

Daily Deal

Terraria 66% off $9.99 $3.39

best price ever: 2.49 USD (at Steam on May 17, 2011)

Nice touch adding the lowest offered price. As for Terraria itself, I still have fun playing the game with pals. The game is fine enough solo, but it's much more enriching to have at least one other person digging along with you.

$3.39 isn't the absolute greatest price, but I'm confident that anyone can get $5 of entertainment out of this game.

#2484 dfg

dfg

Impecunious Ass Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2012 - 06:09 PM

MK: Arcade Kollection -> req. Steam activation + G4WL = $5 on Amazon DVG.
(Includes MK1 + 2; and UMK3)

So, for those who might have it - how is the PC port of MK:AK which also uses that god-awful G4WL?

Big fan of the old-school MK series (MK1 + 2; and UMK3).

Awful. I regret using half of a $10 Amazon gift card on it. The GFWL isn't that intrusive except for the first time you play (I remember flipping my shit the first time I encountered it in Bioshock 1 or 2). I remember when this Kollection first came out I heard many of these complaints and stayed away. Stupid impulse purchases.

Basically a fixed resolution (I found a workaround I haven't tried yet), unmappable keys, sound that cuts out (and I think the sound effects are from the old Win/DOS ports, and not the original arcade versions). It's pretty bare-bones, but that's understandable to a degree.

I dropped a small-country's-GDP's-worth of quarters into MK 1 and 2 as a teen; this has teased my nostalgia and left it unsatisfied.
¡Viva los CAGs!
Posted Image

#2485 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

couch slave

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:03 PM

I regretted not picking Terraria up during the Summer Sale. Shame it's got a weaker deal this time around. :-(

bZ2g3eF.png

#2486 headpiece747

headpiece747

I'm always angry

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:30 PM

Mercenary Kings looks like a great by the guys that made Wizorb and art by Paul Robertson who did Scott Pilgrim game. They have a kickstarter that ends in three days and have made their goal. I put down $15 and the game will be on steam and they give you Wizorb too for that price.

fss.png

Ecliptic Sight | Art by Ecliptic Sight |              sig.png

#2487 DRM-Free

DRM-Free

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:31 PM

I regretted not picking Terraria up during the Summer Sale. Shame it's got a weaker deal this time around. :-(

It is true that Terraria's current sale price is 90 cents more than it was during the Summer Sale, but, still, I maintain that most people can derive the entertainment necessary to appreciate the game at any sub-$5 price.

I guess it depends on how CAGly one cares to be.

#2488 DPsycho

DPsycho

Descendant of Erdrick

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2012 - 09:35 PM

Terraria is worth it at this sale price. Anyone who's friends with me on Steam has seen me playing it a lot lately. We bought a copy for my wife's account and started a world together.

It's the kind of game where you can prepare a snack and drink for your play session and find, six hours of mining/building/collecting/battling later, that you've forgotten to partake.

The game doesn't have a definite end, but if you use a wiki or walkthrough to see what creatures and items and areas exist in the game and the order in which you should tackle them, you can eat least know when you've bested the game's most difficult challenges. Or you can goof around forever and build castles out of strange materials and decorate them with statues and tapestries and wired electrical lighting. Because you can.

EDIT: It's worth noting that the 4-pack is available for $10.19.

#2489 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

couch slave

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2012 - 09:44 PM

Terraria is worth it at this sale price. Anyone who's friends with me on Steam has seen me playing it a lot lately. We bought a copy for my wife's account and started a world together.

It's the kind of game where you can prepare a snack and drink for your play session and find, six hours of mining/building/collecting/battling later, that you've forgotten to partake.

The game doesn't have a definite end, but if you use a wiki or walkthrough to see what creatures and items and areas exist in the game and the order in which you should tackle them, you can eat least know when you've bested the game's most difficult challenges. Or you can goof around forever and build castles out of strange materials and decorate them with statues and tapestries and wired electrical lighting. Because you can.

EDIT: It's worth noting that the 4-pack is available for $10.19.

I'm weak; don't push me over the edge. >_>

It was $1.88 a copy for the 4-pack last time, so I think I'll hold out for that... No argument that it's still worth it at $2.50ish, or even $5, but I am a CAG, after all.

bZ2g3eF.png

#2490 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:07 PM

Terrarria felt like a grind fest just to defeat a monster. I seen people put over 70 hours grinding in this game, and I can't figure out why. There is no end, there is no achievements, I just could not figure out why. At least with Minecraft you can make some cool buildings and stuff.

If it's your thing, more power to you, but it felt to me too much like a time sync with no return.
Posted Image
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly