Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal thread V5. The big sale is over. New thread coming soon.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12912 replies to this topic

#2581 zillionandnine

zillionandnine

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:34 AM

I dunno, I haven't had much of a problem aiming arrows and drawing boxes in Trine with my controller. Sure, it's a little slower, but it hasn't really affected my gameplay too negatively. I remember when I first bought Trine, I started out using my KB/M and after a while, I was like eh Fuck this, and switched to a controller. I was a lot more comfortable that way. But ah... to each their own, eh?

#2582 Neuropod

Neuropod

Fine work, skeleton!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:41 AM

Trine 1 & 2 are both on PS3 so it's not like it's inconceivable to play them with a controller.
76561197996844513.png

#2583 plft

plft

Ploceus castaneiceps

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:51 AM

Wow. Digital: A Love Story was quite good and will probably stick with me for awhile. I hope Analogue is half as good whenever I pick it up.

#2584 RollingSkull

RollingSkull

No Decisive Evidence

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:55 AM

There's less love in Analogue but you'll like it. Also try don't take it personally babe.

Actually, Digital felt a bit TOO formulaic for me. I liked it but I couldn't feel anything for the character you were supposed to like.
Posted Image

It was a smooth ride.

#2585 Pikagreg

Pikagreg

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:58 AM

Was looking forward to this all weekend and client started updating right before class ._. Just got home and m loving it so far ^^

~~~Now Playing~~~
:pc:FFXIV
:ps3:Lightning Returns
:3ds:Bravely Default
My Steam Profile
:D~~~~~~My Trade List~~~~~~~ :D(dead)

#2586 spoderman

spoderman

I thought Harvey Dent said that

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:00 AM

Platforming can work fine with a keyboard, depending on the game, especially when that game involves aiming with a cursor, which is horrible with a controller. The game seems like it was designed around a mouse, especially the thief and wizard.

I find the platforming to be easier with a controller in Trine 2. Yes, the aiming is better with a mouse.. but it's not "horrible". I aimed fine with my 360 and PS3 controller, and I played through the game twice (on PS3 and PC). The game doesn't require anywhere near the accuracy of a mouse, but I agree it can help.

The main problem with using a ps3 controller on your pc is that the controller sucks. 360 controller is near perfect, save for d-pad issues in fighters. I don't play fighters, so it's perfect.

That's more preference than anything. The 360 controller's d-pad is a bigger disadvantage IMO. It's not just fighting games you'd need a good d-pad in, but platformers as well. Try playing either of the Ys games and you'll see how much better the reaction time is with a better d-pad.

I don't know what advantages 360 gamepads have, other than a better layout (which is preference) and maybe tighter analogue sticks (again preference?)

#2587 Hoarder

Hoarder

Steam Addict

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:10 AM

I think it would be great if Valve integrated controller support to every game without native support already included. However unlikely, it would please me very much.

#2588 louiedog

louiedog

20 minutes into the future

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:10 AM

Out of town and catching up a little. Blood Money is definitely the best of the Hitman collection and I didn't see it mentioned, but it's part of Square Enix's streaming game service beta. It's free but there are occasional ads during your play session. Obviously a copy on your hard drive is superior, but anyone who just wants to better demo the game, revisit a level or two without buying again, or is waiting for the new game to be part of the collection may find it useful. I tried it out for 10 minutes last week and it seemed to work pretty well.

http://beta.coreonline.com/

#2589 plft

plft

Ploceus castaneiceps

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:17 AM

There's less love in Analogue but you'll like it. Also try don't take it personally babe.

Actually, Digital felt a bit TOO formulaic for me. I liked it but I couldn't feel anything for the character you were supposed to like.

Downloading that right now. I seem to remember RPS having a bunch of articles about that game which all said to ignore the art style.

About Digital, it's the first VN I've played (is that the right term) and the unique style of storytelling blew me away. I'm looking forward to don't take it personally babe now.

#2590 I OU a Beatn

I OU a Beatn

GO GATORS!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:17 AM

I think it would be great if Valve integrated controller support to every game without native support already included. However unlikely, it would please me very much.

I'd love that, too. I realize it likely wont happen but it would be really nice to always have the option.

630736.png

#2591 Preedatore

Preedatore

Hamburger Thread

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:25 AM

That's more preference than anything. The 360 controller's d-pad is a bigger disadvantage IMO. It's not just fighting games you'd need a good d-pad in, but platformers as well. Try playing either of the Ys games and you'll see how much better the reaction time is with a better d-pad.

I don't know what advantages 360 gamepads have, other than a better layout (which is preference) and maybe tighter analogue sticks (again preference?)

It's all just preference really. To me the 360 one just feels right across the board, whereas the ps controller, essentially unchanged for over a decade, has things I just don't care for. I'll list them here, and again, just my opinion.

1. Too small. I have maybe average size hands, maybe even smaller, and the controller still doesn't fit comfortably for me.

2. Orientation of shoulder buttons. I find it tough to get the right button in quick reaction situations, almost always catching the wrong one. This is one where over time I'm sure I would adjust, but having to adjust over time generally means unintuitive design.

3. Analog sticks are too close to each other. If my thumbs are positioned too far inside on the analogs, I actually run the risk of my thumbs getting in the way of each other. I also find it more difficult to go up to the arrows quickly than coming down to the d pad.

The controller is definitely usable, I just find the 360 works for me better in comfort and usability.

#2592 RollingSkull

RollingSkull

No Decisive Evidence

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:29 AM

Downloading that right now. I seem to remember RPS having a bunch of articles about that game which all said to ignore the art style.

About Digital, it's the first VN I've played (is that the right term) and the unique style of storytelling blew me away. I'm looking forward to don't take it personally babe now.

Most VNs have a more traditional style story-telling. Think Phoenix Wright only written by Kojima (So unedited streams of pointless words) only without Kojima's clumsy yet energetic attempts at themes and without any of the puzzles or player interaction of a normal game.

999 is a great example of one that actually has gameplay (But sparse enough to be a VN. PW is way too busy to be a VN.) AND has pretty brisk writing. The ending sucked but it did the job up to then.

For Digital, the author's unique nerdiness gave her a damn neat idea for Digital which she expanded upon in Analogue for pacing the gameplay JUST different enough to keep the player engaged even when there is really only one puzzle to be had.

don't take it personally is a SLIGHTLY more traditional style VN, with the added social networking stuff providing a similar pace-change as the email hopping of Digital, but less constant. There are more actual choices in don't take it personally but they are pretty pointless. There's no failure or game over so I recommend you pick any "cool" choice.

Now, bigger VNs have choices which lead to different routes and the like but it's not an intuitive thing that challenges the player, more of just route mapping.
Posted Image

It was a smooth ride.

#2593 MIND LINK

MIND LINK

MURDER ALL RAPPERS

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:45 AM

I love gamepads so I use them as much as possible. Needless to say, I really like Big Picture!

MARS

#2594 KaOTiK

KaOTiK

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 September 2012 - 04:47 AM

This Big Picture mode could not have come at a better time. Tomorrow I am going to meet up with the surgeon to find out when I get my gallbladder removed and I'll be stuck on bed duty for a little bit after that, this is perfect. Though my PS3 is crying because it thought it was going to get some quality time lol.

#2595 DPsycho

DPsycho

Descendant of Erdrick

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 September 2012 - 05:13 AM

Ah, I remember the days when the MS Sidewinder was the gold standard for PC controls. I still have one somewhere.

Likewise. Every now and then I wonder why I ever stopped using it. Then I remember that it used the "game port" that used to be part of sound cards...

PROTIP? People still use that? Like it wasn't douchy 10 years ago, thanks for bringing it back and further proving my point.

And it's called a typo, I know your limited brain probably can't comprehend the fact that someone can know the difference, but in a hurry, still type the wrong thing, what with you still using M$ like a 12 year old.

Really? You bothered to respond with this? Man, you would have been better off saying nothing and accepting it.

We expect better from our CAG disputes!

#2596 dfg

dfg

Impecunious Ass Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 September 2012 - 05:45 AM

If this hasn't been posted yet, I highly recommend this: http://www.reddit.co..._up_steams_web/

Makes my Steam Store browser work a LOT faster. Very easy fix.

Marry me.

Also, "you're" vs. "your" is not a typo; at best, brainfart. But yeah, weak comeback—aside from the post in question actually being well-expressed.

Finally, why is my Steam all bubbly now? I expected hisses and clanks.
¡Viva los CAGs!
Posted Image

#2597 Rsmobile

Rsmobile

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:17 AM

Best Buy will make you download the "Best Buy PC App" before you can fetch your Steam key.

#2598 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:33 AM

If this hasn't been posted yet, I highly recommend this: http://www.reddit.co..._up_steams_web/

Makes my Steam Store browser work a LOT faster. Very easy fix.

Thanks for posting that! Might have to work it into the OP.

BTW, I've requested a cleanup as I don't like that little argument from last page one bit. This is a happy place, not a be-nasty-to-each-other one.

-Paul Acevedo
Editor, Windows Central, iMore, and Android Central
Twitter: @PaulRAcevedo

Twitch: EastXTwitch - Watch my streams Saturday nights at 8pm Central and win prizes!

#2599 asheskitty

asheskitty

Level 3 SJW Social_Justice_Warrior

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 September 2012 - 07:07 AM

Spoiler

Wow. Thanks for that! That makes a difference (and a primary reason I typically favored using a real browser for the steam store).

#2600 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:53 AM

I need some more Steam friends who play Iron Brigade. Did anyone else pick it up? If so (and you want to actually play it), send me a PM with your Steam ID and let's be pals.

-Paul Acevedo
Editor, Windows Central, iMore, and Android Central
Twitter: @PaulRAcevedo

Twitch: EastXTwitch - Watch my streams Saturday nights at 8pm Central and win prizes!

#2601 erequena

erequena

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 September 2012 - 11:32 AM

Greenmangaming has Quantum Connundrum + season pass (Steam) at 75% ($4.99)

http://www.greenmang...um-season-pass/
Posted Image

#2602 spoderman

spoderman

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 September 2012 - 11:34 AM

$3.75 with this voucher: GMG25-1BW0K-K1A3G

I don't think it'll be cheaper anytime soon. If you don't have it yet, now is the best time to buy it.

#2603 yangwenli

yangwenli

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 September 2012 - 01:13 PM

Thanks for the clarification on the article...Maybe someone else should buy EA for their IP and just clean up that mess of a place.

#2604 CaptainSlow

CaptainSlow

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 September 2012 - 01:17 PM

I don't think it'll be cheaper anytime soon. If you don't have it yet, now is the best time to buy it.

Can those that already have QC purchase it and redeem the DLC portion only? My concern is that you get one key and it includes both the game and DLC season pass and I already have the game in my library...

#2605 spoderman

spoderman

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 September 2012 - 01:22 PM

Can those that already have QC purchase it and redeem the DLC portion only? My concern is that you get one key and it includes both the game and DLC season pass and I already have the game in my library...

I bought the Season Pass a few weeks ago, and I can tell you they only give you one key that has the DLC and base game combined. You can't seperately redeem the DLC.

You might be able to activate the key and get the DLC added to your account, but of course the base game would go to waste when you do that.

#2606 poxi

poxi

something went wrong

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 September 2012 - 01:34 PM

Hitman Absolution Sniper Challenge Steam Key
http://www.famitsu.c.../09/_pccom.html
1. Enter your email.
2. Сonfirm.
3. Сheck out your inbox.
4. Click confirmation link.
5. Сheck out your inbox once again.
6. Enter the key on Steam.
7. Enjoy.

Btw. Any thoughts about Quantum Connundrum? Reviews are quite spreaded, so I would love to read what CAGs think about this game.

#2607 Rehykja

Rehykja

Diggles Gonna Dig

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 September 2012 - 01:34 PM

Dammit. I bought the base game when it was on sale at Gamefly for $3.75. Should have waited a little longer. =/
Wubwubwubwub.

#2608 Drabelincoln

Drabelincoln

Town Drunk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 September 2012 - 01:39 PM

Hitman Absolution Sniper Challenge Steam Key
http://www.famitsu.c.../09/_pccom.html
1. Enter your email.
2. Сonfirm.
3. Сheck out your inbox.
4. Click confirmation link.
5. Сheck out your inbox once again.
6. Enter the key on Steam.
7. Enjoy.

Btw. Any thoughts about Quantum Connundrum? Reviews are quite spreaded, so I would love to read what CAGs think about this game.

I got a key, not sure what it's for. Wish you could activate games with the mobile client. Very easy process though thanks!

#2609 QuantumTunnelRat

QuantumTunnelRat

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 September 2012 - 01:44 PM

I've tried getting in on this deal four times now. Tried PayPal and Credit Card and nothing works. I keep getting errors. This was the first time I tried to use GMG. It was also the last. I'll just wait for gamersgate or steam to match the sale eventually.

#2610 Rsmobile

Rsmobile

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 September 2012 - 01:58 PM

GMG is always a pain in the ass the first couple of times. Let the frustration of dealing with yuropeens pass. It's a great site.

THANK YOU for the Hitman key site. Made off like a bandit. These are going on Steamgifts! Actually just got one and am glad I snuck one in. Was worried I would never get that after my GMG preorder.

QC's reviews are accurate. As is the demo. It's fun but not great.