Gran Turismo 5 XL Edition (PS3) - $19.99

With my never ending back log I've been waiting for this to go down. Is it worth it at $19.99? Maybe $15 or below, I'll bite or maybe I'm just dreaming :p. Thanks for the post op.

Sigh..... Didn't you read the post about this... That's like making another saying uncharted 3 is $20 and another saying god of war origin collection is also $20

[quote name='pun123']Does this have all DLC on disc or is it digital, might try to pick up preowned for even cheaper if it does.[/QUOTE]

No, all the DLC is digital. The only real advantage here is that the 2.0 update is already on the disc.

[quote name='bojay1997']No, all the DLC is digital. The only real advantage here is that the 2.0 update is already on the disc.[/QUOTE]

And the 2.0 update was pretty massive size-wise.

What's different about the DLC?

I have the original GT5 and bought the first DLC pack when it was first released. So is it worth it if you already have GT5? :bouncy:

Well I never purchased Gran Turismo 5 Prologue, which would have been better for me since I don't really want a deep/complicated racing game. Didn't buy Gran Turismo 5 because of the price. I really just wanted an arcade style of racing without the hurdles of having to do a campaign.

I got no excuse now to not own this, except wait for a Buy 2 Get 1 Free on games $20 or less.

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']Well I never purchased Gran Turismo 5 Prologue, which would have been better for me since I don't really want a deep/complicated racing game. Didn't buy Gran Turismo 5 because of the price. I really just wanted an arcade style of racing without the hurdles of having to do a campaign.

I got no excuse now to not own this, except wait for a Buy 2 Get 1 Free on games $20 or less.[/QUOTE]

I just read a review on amazon that indicates he was disappointed with the XL version because the fastest car is already available from the start instead of having to earn it by working for it. I assume he is saying it is part of the free DLC, but now I am officially interested in getting this. I played the crap out of GT1 & GT2 years ago, but never played 3 & 4 despite buying them, so I knew better than to get Prologue or 5 cause I would never get to them. No that it sounds like you can start off with a fun car right away I might actually pick this up. I just couldn't bear the thought of starting off with a Ford Fiesta and spending 100 hours working your way up.

I need to check into this further, but if this price comes down some or a B2G1 I might not bother to wait for the Academy Edition to eventually come out stateside.

[quote name='Rodster']I bought it because TIV for GT5 vanilla is close to $15 and you get 1 month of PSN+ :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

Damn, it has hardly dropped at all since I traded my GT5 vanilla in on January 5th after hearing about the XL Edition. I got $17.50 through Amazon.

[quote name='jonathansmith369']I just read a review on amazon that indicates he was disappointed with the XL version because the fastest car is already available from the start instead of having to earn it by working for it. I assume he is saying it is part of the free DLC, but now I am officially interested in getting this. I played the crap out of GT1 & GT2 years ago, but never played 3 & 4 despite buying them, so I knew better than to get Prologue or 5 cause I would never get to them. No that it sounds like you can start off with a fun car right away I might actually pick this up. I just couldn't bear the thought of starting off with a Ford Fiesta and spending 100 hours working your way up.

I need to check into this further, but if this price comes down some or a B2G1 I might not bother to wait for the Academy Edition to eventually come out stateside.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I think I have Gran Turismo 3 that I only played maybe once or twice. I played Gran Turismo 2 a little more before then.

What is this Academy Edition that all of you speak of? What I've seen from Joystiq's website is it is Gran Turismo 5 with a special Nissan car.

I'll get this Academy Edition if it is Gran Turismo 5 XL with some more extras. I want the definitive edition, get the most for my money.

[quote name='Rodster']I bought it because TIV for GT5 vanilla is close to $15 and you get 1 month of PSN+ :bouncy:[/QUOTE]
Great idea. I'll pay ~$5 net for the DLC. Thanks!

[quote name='bojay1997']No, all the DLC is digital. The only real advantage here is that the 2.0 update is already on the disc.[/QUOTE]

It says it comes with $20 worth of DLC. Is that BS stuff thats already free for vanilla GT5 players? I already have the vanilla version and if its only 2.0 update on disk then this is not worth it for me

Thanks for posting this--I just jumped on the deal b/c of your post.

[quote name='Japakneez']It says it comes with $20 worth of DLC. Is that BS stuff thats already free for vanilla GT5 players? I already have the vanilla version and if its only 2.0 update on disk then this is not worth it for me[/QUOTE]
There is some additional DLC you would have to pay for if you have the vanilla copy. I bought the first DLC pack and this has a little more DLC but it also comes with a free month of PSN+. That's like a $15 value :bouncy:

Just wanted to jump in and mention what the DLC is since people have asked. 2 car packs, I think 8 cars total, a track pack with 2 tracks, and the paint pack with 100 paint colors iirc.

Its been a long time since I claimed mine so I may be a little off but I think thats it. The Academy edition has the same exact stuff and 1 extra car, which I imagine will be free for NA and JP.

[quote name='jer7583']i wonder why best buy still has this at $40[/QUOTE]

I was just looking at this at Best Buy yesterday, I went over to check how much Forza 4 was and that is $40 new and $44 used lol. My point being it is still $40 because Best Buy is comparable to a box of rocks in the intelligence dept.

I am not a big fan of racing games, but GT5 has me intrigued, especially at this price. Is it a good enough game to change my opinion of racing games?

Someone please talk me out of buying this!

[quote name='henryVIII']
Someone please talk me out of buying this![/QUOTE]

OK, it's retail prince.

That means it's going to be available in 2 for 20 sales later on and proably drop to 10 around Black Friday.

This is not a deal, I don't understand why so many people are jumping at a retail price.

[quote name='Jaysonguy']OK, it's retail prince.

That means it's going to be available in 2 for 20 sales later on and proably drop to 10 around Black Friday.

This is not a deal, I don't understand why so many people are jumping at a retail price.[/QUOTE]

I know for me personally it is because I never felt the game was worth it before. Now that it is $20 even being MSRP it does not feel like such a chance.

This is not a deal, I don't understand why so many people are jumping at a retail price.[/QUOTE]

The "deal" is, it comes with a 30 day of PlayStation Plus at no additional charge.

[quote name='dts5000']The "deal" is, it comes with a 30 day trial of PlayStation Plus at no additional charge.[/QUOTE]
It'll still be there when it's 9.99 on Black Friday right?

Because this is the price point many people were waiting on. A price drop is a deal for many because now they can enjoy the game they wanted at the price they wanted.

[quote name='Jaysonguy']It'll still be there when it's 9.99 on Black Friday right?[/QUOTE]

It's possible, but I'm guessing it won't be. Normally free stuff are only offered when you're paying retail price.

[quote name='henryVIII'] Is it a good enough game to change my opinion of racing games?
[/QUOTE]

Its easily the best console racing sim ever made, but that in itself may turn you off. It's built around playing with a wheel, so without one you'll likely have a hard time unless you keep assists on.

So yea, fantastic game but fairly hardcore. I've seen tons of people give up after a few races. I'd strongly suggest getting a DGT or another decent wheel, DGT is cheapest though. Without it you may as well play a game built for controllers.

[quote name='Jaysonguy']It'll still be there when it's 9.99 on Black Friday right?[/QUOTE]
I don't think so. I believe it's an Amazon promotion for a limited time.

I jumped because the trade-in value on the vanilla made it a cheap way to get the DLC I was interested in. Folks who never had GT5 may just be getting in on it because it's a good price regardless of whether or not its the new MSRP.

It's a HUGE deal if you own the vanilla copy. It trades in @ $15 with Amazon. So for a $5 upgrade you get extra DLC that would cost you extra and 1 free month of PSN+. :bouncy:

[quote name='Slowdance']Its easily the best console racing sim ever made, but that in itself may turn you off. It's built around playing with a wheel, so without one you'll likely have a hard time unless you keep assists on.

So yea, fantastic game but fairly hardcore. I've seen tons of people give up after a few races. I'd strongly suggest getting a DGT or another decent wheel, DGT is cheapest though. Without it you may as well play a game built for controllers.[/QUOTE]

Thank you. You have successfully talked me out of it. Sounds like a killer game, but I don't want to have to purchase accessories in order to fully experience it. And like I mentioned, I'm not a huge fan of racing games anyway. I think I'd get bored with it pretty quick.

I might look at Uncharted 3 instead. Wish it had the 30-day PS+ trial, though.

Edit: Ooh, Uncharted does have the 30-day PS+ trial. Sweet! http://www.amazon.com/Uncharted-3-D...F8&qid=1345229678&sr=8-1&keywords=uncharted+3

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='TooPoor']Anybody tried G27 with this game?[/QUOTE]

Accessories ranking for GT5 seem to go like this...

Dual Shock ~ Driving Force GT ~ G27 ~ Fanatec CSR ~ Thrustmaster T500RS

I've personally owned G27 and now have a T500RS wheel along with TH8RS shifter. I tried the CSR at events. The G27 is great but the T500RS destroys it. Not sure where Fanatec CSW ranks since i haven't played it...seems like an awesome wheel but has issues. I do highly reccommend a wheel. It completely changes the experience :D

You dont need a wheel to play this, i got plenty of friends who play teh heck out of this with the controller.. Its just that if you really enjoy racing games/simulations, than get a wheel, Start out with a used wheel, I used logitech driving force as my first wheel back in 2005, than bought a used driving force pro from a friend for $50 bucks in 2007, and than bought a used G25 for $140 in 2008. Start out with a used steering wheel to see if you like going that route. I like playing race sims on the computer, and for the price logitechs work great.

That is a good deal compared to when i first bought the game than some of the DLC for it. The online play is always a blast, never gets borring. Always fun to look for an oddball car and tune it to beat people online with who drive the typical popular cars.

[quote name='hypertek']You dont need a wheel to play this, i got plenty of friends who play teh heck out of this with the controller.. Its just that if you really enjoy racing games/simulations, than get a wheel, Start out with a used wheel, I used logitech driving force as my first wheel back in 2005, than bought a used driving force pro from a friend for $50 bucks in 2007, and than bought a used G25 for $140 in 2008. Start out with a used steering wheel to see if you like going that route. I like playing race sims on the computer, and for the price logitechs work great.

That is a good deal compared to when i first bought the game than some of the DLC for it. The online play is always a blast, never gets borring. Always fun to look for an oddball car and tune it to beat people online with who drive the typical popular cars.[/QUOTE]

Good advice. i started out with G25 and worked my way up once i found out how much i enjoyed the experience. If you go beyond G27 you will likely be playing PC sims.

bread's done
Back