Humble Bundle for Android 3 - Bonus 8/22: World of Goo, Anomaly, Osmos, EDGE

• Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

#91 Woodlands

Woodlands

spɹɐʍʞɔɐq sı ƃuıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:57 AM

but you dont get the steam keys if you dont pay $1 right? are there any other consequences for paying only $1 everytime a bundle comes out except not getting the BTA games?

Mind that there are costs to hosting the bundle: bandwidth, PayPal/Amazon fees, etc. If you only pay a couple of cents, you're actually costing them money.

I can't imagine why someone would pay less than a dollar. If you can't afford a buck, you have far more important things to be spending on than video games.

#92 CAGkrazy

CAGkrazy

Posted 23 August 2012 - 01:12 AM

Your moral obligation is the only thing you have to consider when deciding between $1 and more (if you don't care about the BTA deals). You don't miss out on anything else. So, if your morality says $1 is ok, it is. If not, pay more. That's your call.

Right. There is no other consequences - just pay what you want. If you buy the bundle in the first week after its launch (before those games are revealed, it's too late in case of HBfA3), you will also get additional bonus games without paying BTA price.

Right. If you don't care about having them on Steam you can pay a penny. If you want 'em on Steam you have to pay a minimum of $1.

Only other consequence is people might yell at you on forums for paying a dollar, but Fuck 'em. If one dollar purchases were ruining humble bundles they could do crap like Indie Royale. The only reason they have the dollar minimum for Steam keys now is (Supposedly) because people were abusing it to make a bunch of Steam accounts for abusing Steam promotions.

Mind that there are costs to hosting the bundle: bandwidth, PayPal/Amazon fees, etc. If you only pay a couple of cents, you're actually costing them money.

I can't imagine why someone would pay less than a dollar. If you can't afford a buck, you have far more important things to be spending on than video games.

Thanks guys for all your responses! Anyway, i finally made the jump and bought the bundle. Since this was my FIRST EVER HIB PURCHASE, i just decided to pay the BTA! Like i said i don't own any of the games and felt that i owe HIB at least the BTA this time around...

ill check my moral compass again next time around. For now, im really happy getting all 9 games to my growing steam library. hehe!

#93 solarnoise

solarnoise

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 01:42 AM

I worked on Fieldrunners! So excited to be part of my first Humble Bundle.

For everyone who's bought this bundle: THANK YOU. I personally worked on all the Fieldrunners ports to Android, Windows, Mac, and (most recently) Linux. I know it's an old game, but I think it's super cool that people are still buying and playing it.

As a frequent CAG'er, I can't believe one of my games is in a thread on the main page :)

To the guys who were concerned about the 18 bundles sold, I unfortunately know very little about the "behind the scenes" stuff with the Humble people other than all our communication with them has been awesome and they are some standup guys.

My guess? The developers of course are on top of the action and probably got the links immediately... call it cheesy, but indie devs almost always buy their own game when it comes out, it's so cool to see your "baby" out there and you want to support it... so I'm thinking 18 devs got the link right before or when the bundle went live, and they bought it ASAP, probably for around 10 bucks. This is JUST A GUESS though, I wish I could give you something more concrete.

Again, THANK YOU to everyone who has bought this... you wouldn't believe how much it means to a team of ~20 guys who work on these things every day, hoping it does well, and get this kind of treatment. Hopefully we can get you Fieldrunners 2 on Android as soon as possible ;)

#94 Josh1billion

Josh1billion

日本語の学生

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 01:51 AM

I tried World of Goo on PC (Steam), and it sure was fun. All it did was turn my primary monitor black, and flash my secondary monitor on and off.

Josh1billion.png

Random Garfield - comic generator

Thumb socks? More like penis hoodies...  :D/

#95 golfer

golfer

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:25 AM

I worked on Fieldrunners! So excited to be part of my first Humble Bundle.

For everyone who's bought this bundle: THANK YOU. I personally worked on all the Fieldrunners ports to Android, Windows, Mac, and (most recently) Linux. I know it's an old game, but I think it's super cool that people are still buying and playing it.

As a frequent CAG'er, I can't believe one of my games is in a thread on the main page :)

To the guys who were concerned about the 18 bundles sold, I unfortunately know very little about the "behind the scenes" stuff with the Humble people other than all our communication with them has been awesome and they are some standup guys.

My guess? The developers of course are on top of the action and probably got the links immediately... call it cheesy, but indie devs almost always buy their own game when it comes out, it's so cool to see your "baby" out there and you want to support it... so I'm thinking 18 devs got the link right before or when the bundle went live, and they bought it ASAP, probably for around 10 bucks. This is JUST A GUESS though, I wish I could give you something more concrete.

Again, THANK YOU to everyone who has bought this... you wouldn't believe how much it means to a team of ~20 guys who work on these things every day, hoping it does well, and get this kind of treatment. Hopefully we can get you Fieldrunners 2 on Android as soon as possible ;)

Great to see a dev post here. I love Fieldrunners, got it for the iPhone when it first came out, now I have an android phone and an iPad 2. My only qualm with the game is how it is priced. I was very happy to see Fieldrunners 2 come out on iOS, but saw it was only for iPhone and priced at 2.99. I'd have bought it at a dollar to play on my iPad even though it would be horrible resolution. Id also love fieldrunners for iPad, but at 7.99? No way! I'd pay 2.99 at the most and that is because it is a great game. Most other games are both iPad and iPhone compatible at the same price, and that is generally .99 cents or free. I guess I'm going on a bit of a rant here, I'll stop now. Just know I love Fieldrunners but its a straight up TD game that should be priced as such. I jumped on the HBfA3 solely because I thought "wow I can get fieldrunners for my phone at PC for just a buck!" without even caring about the other games. Hopefully you don't price Fieldrunners 2 for android at more than 2.99, I may pay more for it, but probably wouldn't be happy doing so.

#96 solarnoise

solarnoise

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 04:31 AM

Great to see a dev post here. I love Fieldrunners, got it for the iPhone when it first came out, now I have an android phone and an iPad 2. My only qualm with the game is how it is priced. I was very happy to see Fieldrunners 2 come out on iOS, but saw it was only for iPhone and priced at 2.99. I'd have bought it at a dollar to play on my iPad even though it would be horrible resolution. Id also love fieldrunners for iPad, but at 7.99? No way! I'd pay 2.99 at the most and that is because it is a great game. Most other games are both iPad and iPhone compatible at the same price, and that is generally .99 cents or free. I guess I'm going on a bit of a rant here, I'll stop now. Just know I love Fieldrunners but its a straight up TD game that should be priced as such. I jumped on the HBfA3 solely because I thought "wow I can get fieldrunners for my phone at PC for just a buck!" without even caring about the other games. Hopefully you don't price Fieldrunners 2 for android at more than 2.99, I may pay more for it, but probably wouldn't be happy doing so.

golfer, thanks so much for the Fieldrunners love =)

I wish I had something to tell ya on the pricing thing... being more on the developer side and less on the business/strategy side, I really have no good info on how those decisions are made EXCEPT I can tell you those decisions are not made lightly... TONS of research goes into pricing, and not just analytics. Also as a consumer myself, I would venture a guess that if people keep buying X for price Y, then it makes little sense to change Y, right? But I definitely see where you're coming from.

Regarding the 2.99 for Fieldrunners 2, however... I have to say, I absolutely agree and stand by that price point. Why? Go to the app store. Pick almost *any* game that is 99 cents or free... does it look as polished? Does it have as many hours of content? I know from being on the other side that we put 1.5+ years of hard work, just as much work that goes into a huge "AAA" title but on a smaller scale... and so we kind of market this game as the mobile equivalent of a AAA game and feel that it's worth the price of a big mac. Plus, no tricks to force you to buy more stuff to get further in the game.

Sorry for the rant, it's always hard to speak objectively about something you are passionate about or involved in, but that is my perspective as but one person on the great team behind the game =)

By the way, and I totally hear you on the Universal App thing... but there is a huge catch to that that gets overlooked in t he reviews: The file size limit for downloading apps via cell data on the AT&T network. It's capped at 50MB... and if you were to look at the industry numbers and analytics you'd see that a LOT of people buy the app impulsively even if they're not on Wifi at that moment... which means the game has to be 50 megs or less. We BARELY were able to fit FR2 for iPhone in that limit..... but to include iPad resolution and features as well? Especially support for iPad3 Retina screen? Absolutely no way the app could stay under 50 megs... so we decided to do the iPad version separately... it's coming, and it WILL be worth it.

Hope that clears up some stuff for you and anyone else who was wondering about this stuff!

#97 Spokker

Spokker

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 04:35 AM

Humble Bundle always delivers.

Though I have those games, this is the best Android bundle out of the 3 they've done. And to repeat what I said a few days ago, Humble is better than 90% of the bundles out there. It just took a little time to materialize.

#98 golfer

golfer

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 06:27 AM

golfer, thanks so much for the Fieldrunners love =)

I wish I had something to tell ya on the pricing thing...

That's all good and well, I understand having two separate apps for that reason, you will definitely get more impulse buys for the iPhone version. 8 dollars is still a bit much in my opinion for the iPad version. And if you bought the iPhone version as well, that's 11 bucks for the same game. I understand you are passionate about the game, I am passionate about playing it. You are also a CAG so I am sure you understand where I am coming from. Toy defense, which was free until recently is now 2.99, kingdom rush is also 2.99 and was recently on sale for .99 cents. To charge 5 dollars more than similar TD games seems a little ridiculous to me. But as you said, you are just a dev, I will take my rant elsewhere.

Still, great job on the game. I love how the pc version has at least one new tower, haven't played it much yet to see if there are any other new ones or figured out exactly what it does, but it is great to see new content. The game really shines on mobile platforms though. Sucks when I get distracted with the tv and a couple little dudes get through.

To steer back OT, Osmos is quite a fun little game. Seems boring at first but as soon as I was absorbed by a larger glob, I was determined to get my revenge.

#99 V4Oldboy

V4Oldboy

Vengeance 4 Oldboy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 06:34 AM

Weak Bonus. Undermines those who supported the earlier android bundles. Why buy this one? They all might be included in the next one as a bonus.

"You WROTE it, you can't UN-WRITE it!" - Maurice LaMarche

[if you need help funding a PSN gameshare (US) I'm happy to help out fellow CAGs (PM me) as long as you are patient.]

#100 kodave

kodave

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 06:50 AM

Weak Bonus. Undermines those who supported the earlier android bundles. Why buy this one? They all might be included in the next one as a bonus.

Humble Bundle 2 included Humble Bundle 1 as a bonus. #2 included #3 as a bonus. #4 included #3 as a bonus. So you should know its a distinct possibility. It doesn't sound like its hurt their bottom line yet. But its not guaranteed to happen every time, especially on Android or Developer bundles. But who cares? Worst case scenario you're paying like $6 to beat the average. Otherwise no other bundles included another bundle as a bonus, though some games from prior bundles have been bonuses in various other bundles. Its no skin off your teeth. Plus you can just donate it all to charity, or to the devs, and give the bundle guys the finger.

#101 golfer

golfer

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 07:39 AM

This was my first HB. I bought this day one for a dollar solely to play Fieldrunners on my android and PC and bit trip looked fun (could care less about the other two.) The bonus was a complete surprise to me. Plus, it's not called a bonus for nothing. If you knew more games were going to be added, wait and see if you want them (still less than a dollar a game to BTA.) If not, 1 dollar for 4 games is a bargin. Undermines nobody IMO. Wait for the next one if you want and hope these are in the bonus. Meanwhile I will be enjoying my games.

Of course, if you are right, buying every other HB would seem to make sense. Still, it's inexpensive enough per bundle and it's good to support the devs. I will most likely be a buyer of all future humble bundles (assuming they keep giving us quality).

#102 poxi

poxi

something went wrong

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 07:55 AM

Humble Bundle 2 included Humble Bundle 1 as a bonus. #2 included #3 as a bonus. #4 included #3 as a bonus. So you should know its a distinct possibility.

They included as bonus previous non-BTA bundles, however HBfA3 includes full BTA HBfA1 bundle (without Toki Tori, but for me the thing is about paying BTA for World of Goo and after 2 months it's given "free"). I agree with V4oLDbOY. That precedent and, in my opinion, a bit too high average price and can surely hold me from buying BTA bundles in future.

#103 kodave

kodave

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:08 AM

CheapAssGamer: Where Humble Bundles aren't cheap enough anymore.

#104 Spokker

Spokker

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:04 PM

At the end of the day, it's about charity. It's a great bonus for those who are new to Humble Bundle.

#105 tcleary

tcleary

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:15 PM

you guys never cease to amaze me. i paid around 7 bucks and think this is a great deal. some of you rejects would probably complain even if steam went to a dollar a game for anything.

#106 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:54 PM

Regarding pricing: If you like it you can go back and increase your payment later (even after the bundle is over -- I hear that you can BTA post-bundle like this).

HIB is my favorite. They were the first, which makes them feel the most honest. They have the most flexible payment scheme. Everyone wants you to pay more; some force it (high min price), HIB incentives it. Sure they are not always the strongest offerings, but they have a good track record on their offerings.

#107 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 September 2012 - 07:02 AM

For those of you that missed this bundle or, like myself, were just too darn CAG to BTA for Spirits. This weekend, Spirits is $0.99 on Google Play. More android deals in this thread: Google Play End of Summer Sale -- $0.99 Max Payne Mobile, Spirits, NOVA 3, & more.

#108 PancakesAreLove

PancakesAreLove

Posted 01 September 2012 - 04:55 PM

For those of you that missed this bundle or, like myself, were just too darn CAG to BTA for Spirits. This weekend, Spirits is $0.99 on Google Play. More android deals in this thread: Google Play End of Summer Sale -- $0.99 Max Payne Mobile, Spirits, NOVA 3, & more.

I wish I knew about this bundle, it had all the games I wanted and had when I had an iPhone. Well I bought each game separately and bought spirits and Bit Trip.

New Years backlog completed: 14/100

EIPsyCongroo.png

#109 Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:02 PM

So does anyone know when this goes live? Someone said today by the time the new steam sales go up, but nothing yet?

Can't get enough of the Fox?  Check out my CAG Blog:  http://www.cheapassg...ul-gamers-blog/

Learn how to get FREE and CHEAP games with Tremorgames: http://www.cheapassg...tremorgamescom/

#110 Tallkido

Tallkido

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:03 PM

New humble bundle for pc today? :O
Posted Image

#111 Drabelincoln

Drabelincoln

Elephant in the room

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:04 PM

So does anyone know when this goes live? Someone said today by the time the new steam sales go up, but nothing yet?

Lol evil

#112 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:05 PM

This bundle is the biggest tease ever.

#113 Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:05 PM

Lol evil

A troll took possession of my body today...

Can't get enough of the Fox?  Check out my CAG Blog:  http://www.cheapassg...ul-gamers-blog/

Learn how to get FREE and CHEAP games with Tremorgames: http://www.cheapassg...tremorgamescom/

#114 The End

The End

It's a Prairie Dog.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 September 2012 - 05:02 PM

I heard a rumor that it was coming soon.

#115 spoderman

spoderman

I thought Harvey Dent said that

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 September 2012 - 05:07 PM

I heard a rumor that it was coming soon.

I heard that it got cancelled.

#116 Drabelincoln

Drabelincoln

Elephant in the room

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 September 2012 - 05:14 PM

I heard that it got cancelled.

I heard it went live and sold out

#117 utopianmachine

utopianmachine

Deal Ninja

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 September 2012 - 05:16 PM

I heard the minimum cost was $20.00.

#118 kosmos13x

kosmos13x

Nocturne #BNC

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 September 2012 - 05:20 PM

I heard they got bought out by activision and will now will be in 30 dollar game installments.

#119 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 September 2012 - 05:21 PM

I heard it will have the exact same titles as Groupees BeMine 4.

#120 utopianmachine

utopianmachine

Deal Ninja

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 September 2012 - 05:23 PM

I heard it will have Hydrophobia.