Photo
- - - - -

CAGcast #295: Live From Gamescom, Maybe

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#31 apathylad

apathylad

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:05 PM

The Dickwolves situation seemed to have brought out Mike and Jerry's uglier side, regardless of how you feel about that controversial comic. I recall Mike Krahulik's brother died when he was younger, so I think that may have also been a factor. But other than that, I can't comment on why they could appear cranky in their blogs.

Remind me to have you invite me out to lunch when you're in the LA area, Cheapy. :lol:

#32 greydt

greydt

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:36 PM

Hey Cheapy - Have you ever tried yoga for your stress? I was never a yoga person before (I'll be honest, a total skeptic actually), but a few months back, work stress caused me to be physically ill (couldn't keep food down, aches and pains, etc). Medicines didn't help, but the yoga eventually helped "fix" everything with it's breathing control, focusing & learning to relax techniques since all of the problems was basically stress/mental related. I only did "basic" yoga and zen yoga for the stress control.

#33 davucini

davucini

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:50 PM

for someone who has so many racially insensitive jokes throughout the years, cheapy sure has some thin skin when being compared to a stereotype himself. Im sure the poster you banned was married to a jew so its ok for him to stereotype you.
For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life

#34 Curufinwe

Curufinwe

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:21 PM

The Dickwolves situation seemed to have brought out Mike and Jerry's uglier side, regardless of how you feel about that controversial comic. I recall Mike Krahulik's brother died when he was younger, so I think that may have also been a factor. But other than that, I can't comment on why they could appear cranky in their blogs.

Tracing photos they found on google must be really hard work, so it's not surprising they get cranky.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#35 S0LIDARITY

S0LIDARITY

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:41 PM

Hey Cheapy - Have you ever tried yoga for your stress? I was never a yoga person before (I'll be honest, a total skeptic actually), but a few months back, work stress caused me to be physically ill (couldn't keep food down, aches and pains, etc). Medicines didn't help, but the yoga eventually helped "fix" everything with it's breathing control, focusing & learning to relax techniques since all of the problems was basically stress/mental related. I only did "basic" yoga and zen yoga for the stress control.

I thought about recommending meditation to CheapyD. I know that plenty of studies have shown that prayer or meditation really help alleviate stress levels and Cheapy doesn't seem to be into that sort of thing. Yoga can be a form of meditation and the exercises will probably help strengthen his core to help his back out.

I recommended Fat Sick and Nearly Dead to Cheapy via his twitchTV stream last week. I haven't seen it myself, but it's next on my instant queue and I'm glad it struck a chord with him.

Also who won the Hybrid give-away?

EDIT: I'm probably in the minority, but I would gladly pay an additional $3-4 a month for a better experience with PSN's online functionality. I just got a PS3 last week and I have to say that the janky-ness of setting up parties and group chats and messaging is a nightmare on PS3. I feel like xbox live enables me to play with my friends remotely, while PSN provides an inconvenient platform for me to play with my friends remotely.

Edited by S0LIDARITY, 16 August 2012 - 09:46 PM.
Didn't want to double post.

#36 Icedus

Icedus

Starpointer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:55 PM

I'm a Wombat man. I'll always be a Wombat man, now and forever. But I don't think it's fair to completely write off previous systems' games like that. Sure, Sony's talking up the feature a lot more than they should. It'll inevitably reach the same state as everybody else's promise to double-dip this generation, where the A-listers that sold infinity billion copies the first time around comprise the bulk, if not the entirety of the catalog, but the broad statement that games from prior to this generation should never be unearthed again rubs me the wrong way. I'm sure there are some fans of Tomba! who'd have some choice words to say about that.

#37 metalmat

metalmat

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:00 PM

Did I hear Cheapy mention that he weighs 193 lbs? That is pretty light at 6'4"
Who Dat said they gonna beat them Saints?
Posted Image

#38 Wario64

Wario64

Will tweet for @videogamedeals

• Forum Moderator

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:09 PM

Against my better judgement, I decided to watch Melancholia today. It didn't make me depressed, probably cause I was watching it in the background while doing other stuff, but the tone of the movie seemed pretty bleak. The ending shot was pretty incredible though, heh.

#39 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:10 PM

for someone who has so many racially insensitive jokes throughout the years, cheapy sure has some thin skin when being compared to a stereotype himself. Im sure the poster you banned was married to a jew so its ok for him to stereotype you.

He wasn't making a joke.

#40 Mixer23

Mixer23

I was the Turkey!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:16 PM

Just wanted to pop in and call out Wombat for referring to Shale(Stone prisoner in DAO) as a male... Her being female was partly why the character was so hilarious! For shame, Wombat. :lol:

The articles I read seem to conjure up these images of Capcom executives sitting in a dark room with a cauldron and cackling about how no one will be able to buy this game used.

Do you really think I could start a fast food restaurant called McDonaldz and use the golden arches as my logo and get away with it?

#41 TheLandoStander

TheLandoStander

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:45 PM

I heard a review of Melancholia on NPR that referred to the film as a "Hateful Masterpiece" which remains one of my favorite descriptors in general.

I think one thing that really bugs me a little with the Penny Arcade funding is their announcement of the Strip Search show. Given the track record of this type of 'show' in terms of what happens to the participants as well as the winners, I have a sense of dread for what's going to happen to a bunch of folks who're hoping to be the next Penny Arcade, which isn't really possible anymore. I think it could potentially damage whatever positive reputation Mike and Jerry have built up over the years with stuff like Child's Play when they're put in a sort of Donald Trump role dismissing folks after they fail whatever crazy challenges these shows seem to require.

#42 volt1up

volt1up

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 August 2012 - 12:30 AM

That Brazilian movie is a sequel, you should watch the first one.

#43 h3llbring3r

h3llbring3r

Mecha Cocksmas 2 all

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 August 2012 - 12:47 AM

Tracing photos they found on google must be really hard work, so it's not surprising they get cranky.

Careful man, comic tracers are especially sensitive about that:

My Trade list:

http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=173460
Going dark on the internet for two weeks during move.

#44 MattZack

MattZack

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 August 2012 - 12:53 AM

Cheapy if you move your shoulder and it hurts do you think that is in your head or due to stress? If you can say, "it hurts when I do this" about your back it is mechanical pain. Type IV mechanoreceptors (pain receptors) typically respond to 3 types of stimuli - thermal (you will be on fire or being burned), mechanical (it hurts to do certain activities or can be constant if the mechanical stress is constant), or chemical (your tissue is inflamed and this is the first part of the healing process - think the low grade lingering pain after you sprain your ankle).

In the podcast you describe mechanical stimuli that start it - bending forward and that aggravate it - rising from sitting (usually worse if the person has been sitting slouched for a long period). You are describing mechanical back pain. I recommend the book Treat your own back by Robin McKenzie so that you can better understand how this works as it sounds like you could benefit greatly from it. I will gift you the money via paypal if you will buy it and read it. Here is a quiz for you Cheapy - Do you have pain when bending forward and/or backward fully in standing? Does your pain ease when lying down? Are there consistent positions that help or aggravate your pain? Is your pain worse in the morning when you tend to be a bit stiffer? See what you think, but if it acts mechanically then your pain is probably mechanical, not in your head.
Posted Image

#45 bickle

bickle

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:45 AM

Wombat's quip about "if only there was some sort of incredible device..." was hilarious. Well played.

That isn't an example of tracing. It isn't even close to tracing. It's an obvious example of using a photo as reference, which is completely acceptable.

#46 h3llbring3r

h3llbring3r

Mecha Cocksmas 2 all

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 August 2012 - 02:03 AM

That isn't an example of tracing. It isn't even close to tracing. It's an obvious example of using a photo as reference, which is completely acceptable.

That sounds like something a tracer would say.

My Trade list:

http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=173460
Going dark on the internet for two weeks during move.

#47 bickle

bickle

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 August 2012 - 03:08 AM

That sounds like something a tracer would say.

Take a couple classes in art and get back to me.

#48 h3llbring3r

h3llbring3r

Mecha Cocksmas 2 all

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 August 2012 - 03:49 AM

Take a couple classes in art and get back to me.

Someone doesn't get the joke.

I've had quite a few actually, along with art history and appreciation.

#49 KillingMachine

KillingMachine

CAGnificent!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 August 2012 - 04:09 AM

You guys pretty much summed up exactly the way I feel about Penny Arcade. Of course, now you've probably brought down their wrath upon you. With all of the great, actual video game related Kickstarter projects people could have backed instead, I find it pretty disappointing that this wasn't laughed off as a joke.

#50 Sgt Barone

Sgt Barone

Posted 17 August 2012 - 04:24 AM

Great show as always everyone!

Here's to a great year of gaming in 2014   :beer:

#51 davucini

davucini

Posted 17 August 2012 - 04:46 AM

He wasn't making a joke.

i didnt know racial, religious, sexual insensitivity was ok if it is draped with the cloths of a joke. Its your site and you can do what you want but it looks a tad bit hypocritical. What the guy said was wrong, but some type of effort to warn him or let him plead his case to you would be more fair, if you wanted to ban him after, then that is fine. Chances are the poster was still an impressionable kid or teenager that was raised in a culture of ignorance and thus is just spouting out what he had been taught, he might have learned something if you reached out. Instead this will be another example, in his mind, how a jew punished him for speaking the truth.

My other point is you should operate on a single set of morals for the whole of the populous. If you deem the word "jap" offensive you cant use it no matter what, its even worse if you are married to a Japanese person and worse still if your child is Japanese, you aren't respecting your relationship and your own blood. If you feel you can say that word, then so should everyone else, you cant admonish others while giving yourself a pass. Thats how tyranny is born.

PS, can you buy me a lobster meal next time you guys are in LA for e3? i live like 15 minutes from the convention center. }:>)
For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life

#52 Toss

Toss

i love clearance ...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 August 2012 - 05:38 AM

As a "jap", I think davucini's got a point. I found it ironic you threw that out there in the same show as the jew coment banning.

Cheapy, you have back spasms. My last episode started from me reaching for a soda on the bottom shelf of the fridge. Get your doc to perscribe you Soma (good stuff and they work). My back problem is from inactivity. I never had back issues working in construction. It only happened after a year of staying home with the kids.

I have this juicer http://www.amazon.co...keywords=juicer and it is the shit. It will not help your shit though, because it removes most of the fiber from the fruits and veggies. I drink the juice with vitamins, fish oil, and a protein supplement and it keeps me satiated most of the day when I start the day this way. The only thing that sucks with juicing is cleaning up.
...and my dogs

LOOSE LIPS SINK (FL)IPS

#53 M_Wrizzle

M_Wrizzle

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:26 PM

Got a 6 hour train journey later! This is gonna help out a bit :D

#54 jkam

jkam

Smash It Up

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 August 2012 - 03:17 PM

You guys pretty much summed up exactly the way I feel about Penny Arcade. Of course, now you've probably brought down their wrath upon you. With all of the great, actual video game related Kickstarter projects people could have backed instead, I find it pretty disappointing that this wasn't laughed off as a joke.

I'll second this. Thanks for bringing it up. I really don't understand why people blindly follow Penny Arcade, their comic strips aren't even that great most of the time and they seem like a bunch of douchebags that need to get over themselves. It's really annoying when people whine which they seem to do a lot of. It was similar to all that rambling Dennis Dyack did with Too Human, you made a shitty game, get over it and move on.

#55 DBrooks23

DBrooks23

Posted 17 August 2012 - 05:57 PM

for only $7,500 you can be an intern at Penny arcade for a day and clean their toilets! How awesome!

#56 itachiitachi

itachiitachi

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:50 PM

I'm a Wombat man. I'll always be a Wombat man, now and forever. But I don't think it's fair to completely write off previous systems' games like that.

I have to agree with that. There are plenty of games from past consoles I would like to play, but I have no interest in going through all the trouble of getting an old system, a copy of the game and hooking up the whole thing up to the TV. If on the on the other hand I could play these games on a handheld (at a reasonable price) I'd be all over them. I'm sure there are many other gamers who have games from the past they would like to play if they where cheap and convenient.

Forgive me if I have a little nuance to my worldview, and am not a black/white ideologue who can't grasp complexity.

This is perhaps the most ironic thing I have ever seen on CAG.

#57 Mixer23

Mixer23

I was the Turkey!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 August 2012 - 11:26 PM

i didnt know racial, religious, sexual insensitivity was ok if it is draped with the cloths of a joke. Its your site and you can do what you want but it looks a tad bit hypocritical. What the guy said was wrong, but some type of effort to warn him or let him plead his case to you would be more fair, if you wanted to ban him after, then that is fine. Chances are the poster was still an impressionable kid or teenager that was raised in a culture of ignorance and thus is just spouting out what he had been taught, he might have learned something if you reached out. Instead this will be another example, in his mind, how a jew punished him for speaking the truth.

My other point is you should operate on a single set of morals for the whole of the populous. If you deem the word "jap" offensive you cant use it no matter what, its even worse if you are married to a Japanese person and worse still if your child is Japanese, you aren't respecting your relationship and your own blood. If you feel you can say that word, then so should everyone else, you cant admonish others while giving yourself a pass. Thats how tyranny is born.

PS, can you buy me a lobster meal next time you guys are in LA for e3? i live like 15 minutes from the convention center. }:>)

Pretty sure he was just kidding when he said that. Also, the guy came out and verbally attacked Cheapy on his own site, why shouldn't he ban him? I know I would.

The articles I read seem to conjure up these images of Capcom executives sitting in a dark room with a cauldron and cackling about how no one will be able to buy this game used.

Do you really think I could start a fast food restaurant called McDonaldz and use the golden arches as my logo and get away with it?

#58 davucini

davucini

Posted 18 August 2012 - 01:27 AM

Pretty sure he was just kidding when he said that. Also, the guy came out and verbally attacked Cheapy on his own site, why shouldn't he ban him? I know I would.

thank you for reading my post, not using any perspective and asking me questions i had already answered in my previous post.

Im not asking cheapy to use my set of morals, i am asking him to use just one set of his own.

#59 goodybear

goodybear

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 August 2012 - 01:35 AM

I actually see nothing wrong with Cheapy's choice in films.
I tend to like independent 'sleeper' movies myself, because the director don't have a Hollywood studio with their foot on his neck.
Just because the movies Cheapy watch don't have huge marketing budgets doesn't mean they're bad movies.
Posted Image

#60 usickenme

usickenme

I'm the a-hole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 August 2012 - 02:56 AM

I saw the alternative new planet discovered movie called "Another Earth"- kind of depressing in parts as well but not all bad. I would recommend it.