Photo
- - - - -

Sooo.... what are the chances we get a 2D Metroid on WiiU?

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#31 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 02:53 PM

You have to put it somewhere. I still wouldn't classify it as "Metroid" though. It's like saying Link's Crossbow Training is a Zelda game. It's fun, it's there, but it's not really what you define as a game in the series.
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#32 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 07:08 PM

Top Tier
- Super Metroid
- Metroid Zero Mission
- Metroid Prime

Middle Tier
- Metroid Fusion
- Metroid Prime 3
- Metroid Prime 2

Low Tier
- Metroid
- Prime Pinball
- Metroid 2
- Hunters

Doesn't Exist Tier
- Other M

That's very close to how I'd rank the series... except I would drop Prime 3 down one tier and move up Metroid, Metroid 2, and Fusion up one tier. The original Metroid games may be archaic by today's standards, but they were very engrossing back in the day.

Currently playing: 

:wiiu: Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD - :D

:vita: Valhalla Knights 3 - :-|

:ps3: Zone of the Enders 2nd Runner HD - :-|

fyreboltx.png
║My Tradelists: Games, Guides & Game Related Goodies║Wantlist║

#33 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:49 PM

I still think Metroid 1 is more replayable than Metroid 2 due to the small retail estate space. While Metroid 2 is known for some of the more important aspects of the series, I feel that Metroid 1 holds up better.

As for Fusion, I like it more each time I play it. I originally didn't like Fusion, having thought it being too difficult and upsetting me for some reason I can't recall. Since then I've come to recognize some of the more unique and admirable aspects of it, such as the SA-X, the level design and teaching of power-ups still being in the level design itself.

Also, having replaying it currently, even though it spawned the bastard child of the series, it makes me realize how inconsistent and incompatible and inconsistent the two really are.
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#34 Javery

Javery

Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:55 PM

Fusion too difficult? I hated that game because of all of the hand holding. They told you where to go next! Zero Mission does this to a certain extent too which is why I was initially sour on it but I am about 30 minutes in and I'm enjoying it so far.

Disclaimer: My memory is horrible so I might be way off.

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---

#35 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:44 PM

Fusion does tell you where to go, but ultimately as the game states, and as you find out later, you're supposed to hate it and that's really the point. But unlike Other M, the game actively tries to keep you engaged and have fun. Some things you have to find on your own though, like the Security Locks. Later on, the game's structure changes where it tries to actively hide things from you, where eventually you have to get 100% item collection before triggering the final gameplay gauntlet. And yes, Fusion is pretty tough. You get hit like a truck in Fusion, even outside of the SA-X. Regular enemies destroy you if you're not careful.

In Zero Mission, the game tells you where to go via optional way points. After the first one however, you can skip them. And if we're going to bitch about games telling you where to go, you might as well throw the Prime games in there as well with the 'disturbance at X' system. Those were really thrown into the game design because while people like to explore games, if they're lost for a long period of time, they're more likely to turn the game off.
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#36 johnnypark

johnnypark

Farewell My Viking!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:47 PM

I still think Metroid 1 is more replayable than Metroid 2 due to the small retail estate space. While Metroid 2 is known for some of the more important aspects of the series, I feel that Metroid 1 holds up better.

As for Fusion, I like it more each time I play it. I originally didn't like Fusion, having thought it being too difficult and upsetting me for some reason I can't recall. Since then I've come to recognize some of the more unique and admirable aspects of it, such as the SA-X, the level design and teaching of power-ups still being in the level design itself.

Also, having replaying it currently, even though it spawned the bastard child of the series, it makes me realize how inconsistent and incompatible and inconsistent the two really are.

Agree on Metroid 2, with the exception of the health system in the original. It's unbelievable how easily you can get killed by strong enemies and then restart with 30 health. With save states via the 3DS or an emulator, it's more manageable, but without it, I find it completely unplayable.

I loved the shit out of Metroid 2 when I was a kid. I had to special order it from EB Games in the mall and saved up my allowance for it when I was probably 8. Nintendo Power had a huge spread on it with maps of the 1st half of the game or so, which made it a lot easier to find my way. Super Gameboy support adding a fairly accurate color palette rounded it out for me.

M2 hasn't aged well, though, and the environments look way too similar for how close the camera is on Samus. Oddly enough, because of the graphical limitations of the original Gameboy they had to find a way to show that you had gotten the Varia/Gravity suits and that's where the idea for the larger shoulder pads came from. The game really did lay out the mainstays of the series and set the stage for the wonder that is Super Metroid. I really expected another remake following Zero Mission, and I'm pretty heart-broken it never happened.

Fusion too difficult? I hated that game because of all of the hand holding. They told you where to go next! Zero Mission does this to a certain extent too which is why I was initially sour on it but I am about 30 minutes in and I'm enjoying it so far.

Disclaimer: My memory is horrible so I might be way off.

Yeah, the hand-holding and direction got rid of that sense of wonder and exploration that defined the original first 3 games. Prime did it, too, but the 3D space to explore and side areas made it feel less linear compared to a game like Fusion.

It still plays well on the GBA SP, but if you have the means, I recommend playing it on a PSP. GBA games look downright gorgeous upscaled and expanded to the full size of that screen.

:3ds: 2363-5670-6657
My Trade List

Feedback on Ebay

#37 Javery

Javery

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:56 PM

It still plays well on the GBA SP, but if you have the means, I recommend playing it on a PSP. GBA games look downright gorgeous upscaled and expanded to the full size of that screen.

That's how I play 99% of classic games these days. PSP might be my favorite system ever because of what it isn't supposed to do.

#38 johnnypark

johnnypark

Farewell My Viking!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:06 PM

That's how I play 99% of classic games these days. PSP might be my favorite system ever because of what it isn't supposed to do.

Agreed! Plus, compared to the DS/PSP and beyond, the lack of any suspension or sleep mode makes the GBA as a system feel obsolete by comparison.

My Trade List

Feedback on Ebay

#39 uncle5555

uncle5555

Grumpy Veteran CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:53 AM

Yeah, the hand-holding and direction got rid of that sense of wonder and exploration that defined the original first 3 games. Prime did it, too, but the 3D space to explore and side areas made it feel less linear compared to a game like Fusion.

Unless I'm not remembering correctly the lava pits emptying pretty much told you were to go in 2 and in Super Metroid, they did show where you needed to go next on the map, so while you were allowed to explore they made sure you knew where your ultimate goal was.

Metroid has been hand holding for a lot longer than the current iterations, only difference was they didn't do it as blatantly in the earlier games.
The CAG motto: "Maybe you'll luck out and get the game during a sale before it sells out, maybe not, that's the life of a CAG. Luck of the draw. And timing is everything."

#40 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:27 PM

They did. If you can manage to get by them all, the last one has a barrier until you take care of all the Metroids. Super Metroid did something similar, but earlier on. If you didn't get Missiles and tried backtracking through Tourian there'd be a Gray Door behind where Mother Brain once stood until you get them.

Super Metroid does have a bit of hand holding early on, but it's pretty well integrated into the game design so a lot of people don't really pick up on it. Your Ceres Tutorial is basically movement and shooting, and when you get to Zebes, you learn about item collection, path finding, and using the items you got to open up more paths and get rewards.
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#41 jello44

jello44

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:32 PM

I would love to see a new 2D style game, it would instantly make me run out and buy a 3DS XL.

#42 Javery

Javery

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 August 2012 - 06:50 PM

Alright... Zero Mission is awesome. I just got the Speed Booster and I'm having a ton of fun so I'd definitely put it way above the original Metroid...

#43 johnnypark

johnnypark

Farewell My Viking!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:06 AM

Alright... Zero Mission is awesome. I just got the Speed Booster and I'm having a ton of fun so I'd definitely put it way above the original Metroid...

Glad to hear it. Like I said, it's essentially a Super Metroid-style remake of the original. By the end, the story is really fleshed out, but I won't spoil anything. It's awesome, though.

My Trade List

Feedback on Ebay

#44 Javery

Javery

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 August 2012 - 02:39 AM

Glad to hear it. Like I said, it's essentially a Super Metroid-style remake of the original. By the end, the story is really fleshed out, but I won't spoil anything. It's awesome, though.

The funny thing is that I've played through this game probably 3 or 4 times. My memory is just horrible.

#45 jbuck138

jbuck138

Wario for President!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:23 PM

I beat Zero Mission about 10 years ago. I loved it, but I'm like Javery; It will be like playing the game for the first time again.

#46 Javery

Javery

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 September 2012 - 02:25 AM

Just finished Zero Mission (again). I remember why I don't rank it higher - the part without the suit is annoying as hell and goes on way too long. Still, it is an excellent game and probably deserves to rank in the second tier of Metroid games.

#47 Josh5890

Josh5890

For AC New Leaf 3DS- 3110-4025-7228

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 September 2012 - 06:21 AM

I think Nintendo might not give Metroid the spotlight it has had the pass ten years. Hopefully they focus on more Mario games
Spoiler
and trying to get a Zelda game out sooner than 5 years into the console's life. Personally I'd rather see them explore a 3D Donkey Kong game or a Star Fox game.

I need a new signature.

#48 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:50 PM

I think Nintendo might not give Metroid the spotlight it has had the pass ten years. Hopefully they focus on more Mario games

Spoiler
and trying to get a Zelda game out sooner than 5 years into the console's life. Personally I'd rather see them explore a 3D Donkey Kong game or a Star Fox game.

Donkey fucking Kong 64 2. Make it happen Nintendo. This needs to happen in the worst way. I fucking loved that game.

Also they need a new Star Fox game, but I mean the limitations are endless for a game they could make. Yeah still keep it a flight game, but there are so many things you can do now too.
Posted Image
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#49 Javery

Javery

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2012 - 01:15 PM

Donkey fucking Kong 64 2. Make it happen Nintendo. This needs to happen in the worst way. I fucking loved that game.

Also they need a new Star Fox game, but I mean the limitations are endless for a game they could make. Yeah still keep it a flight game, but there are so many things you can do now too.

Dear god I never want to collect another colored banana again. I wouldn't mind another 3D DK game but it would have to be radically different than the last one. That game was like 30 hours of nothing but collecting stuff in the same level over and over again.

I'd be up for a new take on Starfox. I hated Star Fox Adventures (probably on the short list of worst games I've ever played) so please, none of that but something cool that combined flying and ground combat missions would be sweet (think Mass Effect 2 or Lego Star Wars III).

#50 M_Wrizzle

M_Wrizzle

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 14 September 2012 - 07:52 AM

I loved DK 64! Was bloody awesome!

Looking forward to the Wii U release as well, Its a console that you can reason having with your GF as you can say that theres fitness shit on it ;-)

#51 schuerm26

schuerm26

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 September 2012 - 05:21 AM

I was thinking about this with Zelda. I cant make it through the wii ones. I did like Windwaker. I iust onewant a new one like link to the past.

#52 Drclaw411

Drclaw411

I miss Cartoon Orbit

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 September 2012 - 10:20 PM

46.3%