Biggest Collectors edition weakness?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#31 OrangeArmy

OrangeArmy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 August 2012 - 05:50 PM

Apparently I have a weakness for flying, remote controled drones and light up Ryu statues. I love unique controllers/Arcade Sticks. Would have loved the loot chest too but it sold out everywhere before I could preorder.

Steel books and DLC are not important to me.

#32 Stoic Person Eater

Stoic Person Eater

Murder City Pandas

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 August 2012 - 06:30 PM

The only one I ever bought was GTA4. The soundtrack was great, the steel box is a great place to keep important stuff (no, I don't lock it), still got the keychain, still use the dufflebag. I hope they knock it out of the park with GTA5.

My favorite CE as well. The lockbox holds all my special items, I have two of the duffel bags which get regular use for overnight trips and changes of clothes. Still have my keychain as well, but it has never been attached to a key.

#33 Twilight Sparkle

Twilight Sparkle

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 August 2012 - 04:56 AM

Hardcover artbooks are the only thing that can do it for me.
Keep calm and pony on.

#34 jer7583

jer7583

only 5 can ladder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 August 2012 - 04:58 AM

1. Being cheaper than the regular edition because they're overstocked and on clearance.

2. Idiots are paying double retail for them on ebay and they're readily available in my area

the end

Everyone who joins the CAG XBox One Conga Line from now until my 11 referrals are met are entered into a drawing to win a FREE $60 game from me! So get going - the Gamefly referral costs nothing, and others are as low as $1!

http://www.cheapassg...real-with-proof/

Join the CAG XB1 Conga Line and get an XB1 or $400+gift cardhttp://www.cheapassg...real-with-proof/

#35 Richard Kain

Richard Kain

Posted 31 August 2012 - 03:27 PM

(Sigh) I suppose my biggest weakness is simply for franchises that I find appealing. This week I did something that I haven't done in a LOOOONNNG time. I pre-ordered a game. Specifically, I pre-ordered the collectors edition of Aliens: Colonial Marines.

I am stupid for the Alien franchise. Aliens is my favorite movie, period. I own both Laserdisc editions of the movie. (not to mention numerous copies on VHS, DVD, and even Blu-Ray) So when I saw that the collectors edition of Aliens: Colonial Marines is going to be coming with a statuette of a Power Loader fighting a Queen Alien, that pretty much ended it for me.

I can usually resist the siren call of the collectors edition, and instead wait for them to be on clearance at Target. But a specific IP can overcome my normal reluctance.

#36 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 31 August 2012 - 04:05 PM

(Sigh) I suppose my biggest weakness is simply for franchises that I find appealing. This week I did something that I haven't done in a LOOOONNNG time. I pre-ordered a game. Specifically, I pre-ordered the collectors edition of Aliens: Colonial Marines.

I am stupid for the Alien franchise. Aliens is my favorite movie, period. I own both Laserdisc editions of the movie. (not to mention numerous copies on VHS, DVD, and even Blu-Ray) So when I saw that the collectors edition of Aliens: Colonial Marines is going to be coming with a statuette of a Power Loader fighting a Queen Alien, that pretty much ended it for me.

I can usually resist the siren call of the collectors edition, and instead wait for them to be on clearance at Target. But a specific IP can overcome my normal reluctance.

That sounds like me when I grabbed the GTA IV Special Edition in 2008. I sold all my prior gen stuff to be able to grab a PS3 specifically for that one game and I didn't even have the actual PS3 until the morning AFTER I grabbed the SE at Wally World.

I got the usual runaround from GS saying I should've pre-ordered sooner and yadda yadda, so I figured WM was right across the way from them. We got in line as of 10-11pm already in electronics at the store to grab the game. They had a total of FOUR SE's for the game and my friend and I grabbed two of those(1 PS3, 1 360).

You know how some people say you can feel daggers coming from people staring at ya? Well, I felt those daggers from the other people in line as we both walked by them en route to her car.:lol: People were PISSED that they only had those four and that we got TWO of them. But maybe they shoulda got there sooner.;)

i added a link to more wang pics. yu wang i mean not wang wang as in penis.

Sarcasm-Just one of the many services I offer.
Posted Image

#37 chubbyninja1319

chubbyninja1319

Next Gen Calibrations

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:25 PM

Soundtracks are one for me. But particularly if it's on CD and not a download because I highly prefer lossless.

Another is in-universe items or things that enhance the immersion or tangibility while playing. For example the journal from halo reach, or the novel from Alan wake. Things that have substantial creative content in them and not just baubles thrown together. Not a CE example specifically but I bought the paper map pack for Arma II because I find it more fun to look down at a folded map than use an in game map on screen.

Well done or creative packaging also gets me sometimes. Like the halo reach ONI box or the fallout 3 lunchbox (again an in-universe item too). The Borderlands loot chest thing falls into this category too but the price was a little steep on that one.

I'm actually turned off somewhat by statues. I wouldn't display them anyways so if there's a statue involved I actually find it much easier to pass on the CE with no regrets.

Thus pretty much sums it up for me. Soundtracks always get my attention, followed by in game items brought to life. The darksiders 2 CE was a home run with me.

mass_effect_n7_training_program_custom_lChubbyNinja1319.png

~<{   Whatever we were before, we are now the Inquisition  }>~

#38 R. Kasahara

R. Kasahara

The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:37 PM

(Sigh) I suppose my biggest weakness is simply for franchises that I find appealing.

I can't understand anyone buying a CE for a game/franchise they aren't heavily interested in to begin with, unless it's for some kind of monetary purpose. For instance, all of Blizzard's CEs are amazing, but I only have the StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty one because I'm not a big WarCraft or Diablo fan.

On the flip-side, I love Halo but have only sought out two of the CEs (for 3 and Reach, specifically) because of what came with them. A CE has to be for a game I was really looking forward to anyway and include goodies that appeal to me.
sig.gif
2014 Completed Games

:-({|=  The Video Game Soundtrack Deals Thread ~ Where and how to buy game music online. Oh, and deals, too!
:whee: The Official PAX Prime (and possibly East) 2014 Thread ~ It's that time again!

#39 AugustAPC

AugustAPC

Inebrious Infinitus

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:04 AM

Soundtracks, artbooks, figures.

#40 FaintDeftone

FaintDeftone

Zelda Fanatic

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:15 AM

Figures or replicas are what do it for me. Like getting the plasma cutter in Dead Space 2 or that bad ass vault chest in the Borderlands 2 CE. I was also a fan of those book ends in the Mortal Kombat CE. I like collectible stuff. Art books usually do nothing for me.

#41 FloodyFloats

FloodyFloats

Posted 26 September 2012 - 05:59 AM

I like items based on in game items.
the Vault boy bobble head and luch box are still one of my favorites.
And Pandoras box from GOW3.

#42 Katsumi

Katsumi

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:15 PM

Steelbooks / fancy packaging for sure! I'm at the point where I have those plastic sealable covers that slip over the steelbook and store it.. and put the actual game disc(s) in a generic green DVD case lol :P

Kat_Siggy80.png Katsumica.png

#43 anarch

anarch

And all that could have been...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 September 2012 - 06:18 PM

1) Blizzard CEs are always ace, though the expansions are overproduced.

2) Quality physical components from game franchises I really enjoy (Borderlands 2, Guild Wars 2, Fallout 3).

3) Truly limited CEs, if they're interesting (Bioshock 1, World of Warcraft).

4) Digital collectible stuff in MMOs, if I intend on playing them for a length of time. Otherwise, don't care about digital.

Edited by Guerrilla, 30 September 2012 - 11:46 PM.

#44 WViking

WViking

Corn is Good Food

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 September 2012 - 09:53 PM

Anything physical really. IE; soundtracks, artbooks, figures, bobbleheads, and stuff along those lines. Digital stuff is nice, but it loses its allure by being digital and most likely sold at a later date.

I feel the same way.

#45 Halo05

Halo05

Posted 30 September 2012 - 10:17 PM

This isn't necessarily exclusive to CEs but I like it when there are other games included in releases.

Dead Space Extraction being included with PS3 Dead Space 2
Medal of Honor Frontline (I think) included with the then-new Medal of Honor
The original PC version of Alice being included with the newish sequel.

Stuff like dat.

As many of you know, black ops 2 is plaid with bugs, lag etc which many people have been suffering including me.

plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid

#46 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 30 September 2012 - 10:34 PM

That reminds me that I stupidly redeemed the Alice: Madness Returns voucher for the original before I realized you needed the A:MR disc to actually be able to play the PC version on your PS3.:bomb: Since I traded in A:MR, that means I got a download listed on my account I'll likely never be able to use.:-#

i added a link to more wang pics. yu wang i mean not wang wang as in penis.

Sarcasm-Just one of the many services I offer.
Posted Image