#61 Soodmeg

Soodmeg

Posted 22 August 2012 - 06:25 PM

#62 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 06:37 PM

That's the catch for conservatives, they only care so long as the umbilical cord is still attached, as soon as that baby is born it better get a fucking job and stop living off the (government) tit.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#63 camoor

camoor

Jams on foot fires

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 07:47 PM

That's the catch for conservatives, they only care so long as the umbilical cord is still attached, as soon as that baby is born it better get a fucking job and stop living off the (government) tit.

Yeah. There are alot of Christian charities that help poor families but way too much of their time and money is spent on protesting abortion.

I guess it's more fun to shove gross-out dead fetus posters into the face of your political opponents then it is to actually help folks out.

#64 mykevermin

mykevermin

Queen of Scotland

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 07:51 PM

Well, it's more that finger pointing and criticism comes easier than empathy and assistance.

Nobody's ever going to embarrass you if you criticize them for thinking they're the worst person on earth. But when you're giving unapologetically, people can and will take advantage of you. It's riskier to your self-esteem than being a dick.
Posted Image

#65 camoor

camoor

Jams on foot fires

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:30 PM

Well, it's more that finger pointing and criticism comes easier than empathy and assistance.

Nobody's ever going to embarrass you if you criticize them for thinking they're the worst person on earth. But when you're giving unapologetically, people can and will take advantage of you. It's riskier to your self-esteem than being a dick.

Yeah but I thought the entire point of the New Testament was that it's cool to give of yourself. Alot of Christians don't get their own religion.

They also don't get the OT. As Lewis Black said "my people have a tendency to exaggerate"

#66 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:45 PM

Yeah but I thought the entire point of the New Testament was that it's cool to give of yourself. Alot of Christians don't get their own religion.

Yep. Frankly I think I live a more Christian lifestyle than many Christians I've met.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#67 IRHari

IRHari

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:47 PM

Guys why are we focusing on just bashing Republicans?

Why aren't we focusing on calling out "both sides as being shit instead of pretending the shit don't stink on on side"?

Both sides do it guys. Democrats are equally guilty.
"People the world over have always been more impressed by the power of our example than by the example of our power." -Bill Clinton

#68 Soodmeg

Soodmeg

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:56 PM

Edited by Soodmeg, 13 July 2013 - 08:00 PM.

#69 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:14 PM

He was being sarcastic...;)

#70 Soodmeg

Soodmeg

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:53 PM

oh........whooops and uh doh?

#71 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:38 PM

I skimmed through the thread but didn't read every post completely so I apologize if this has already been stated.

When I first heard about this a few days ago, my impression of his definition of an illegitimate rape is that: "She didn't want to have sex with that dude that forced himself onto her but she had fun anyway." IMO this Congressman doesn't have much respect for women. My understanding is that no medical studies have proven that women "shut down" reproductive activities in their bodies when they are raped. Not to mention sperm can live in a woman's body for 3-5 days. I guess this magical "shut down" process that no one knows anything about stays in place for almost a week (or longer)??????

This is complete lunacy. It's no wonder the Republican party is even distancing itself from this.

#72 Commander0Zero

Commander0Zero

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:31 AM

Well that is were you are wrong.

Dems are guilty of a lot of things but their evils do not match up to the evils of advocating the many things that repubs do. If you listen to a lot of what they are saying they basically want us to go back to 1920s time in which women stay their ass in the kitchen and blacks and other minorities should keep picking that cotton and shut up.

Look at their policies my friend.....enough with this bullshit "they both do the same thing!!!!!" No....no they dont and I would like for you to prove how they are the same instead of just saying it.

So you mean like Southern Democrats in the 1920's? Southern Democrats in the early and mid part of the 20th century weren't necessarily all that progressive. They do both have examples of terrible behavior. Who's ahead depends on what period of time. I personally believe that Christians aren't bad people at all they are passionate about human life. Which whatever you are pro-choice or pro-life we can agree abortion stops that process. To me to be concerned about how we view unborn life is up for debate.
Posted Image

#73 Purple Flames

Purple Flames

MC Sucka DJ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:49 AM

So you mean like Southern Democrats in the 1920's? Southern Democrats in the early and mid part of the 20th century weren't necessarily all that progressive. They do both have examples of terrible behavior. Who's ahead depends on what period of time. I personally believe that Christians aren't bad people at all they are passionate about human life. Which whatever you are pro-choice or pro-life we can agree abortion stops that process. To me to be concerned about how we view unborn life is up for debate.

#74 Commander0Zero

Commander0Zero

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 01:03 AM

Well that didn't move me. Many Dems and Republicans are Christians and believe abortion is abhorrent. Some believe it is a personal choice between the women and her creator and not the government and some believe the government should be involved. Having a debate over the things he rattled off is not wrong it makes for good comedy to exaggerate but poor public discourse.
Posted Image

#75 RealDeals

RealDeals

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 01:05 AM

Historically, both parties were almost the exact opposite of what they are now. They started resembling their current selves around the 60s.
http://t3.gstatic.co...4wtuy3FpqqoZSRA

Originally Posted by the4thnobleman Posted Image
I need power to come back on! I still need to spend $10 or so to get my $20. Stupid hurricane Sandy Vagina!

Posted Image

#76 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:41 AM

Oh yeah, Christians love human life, as long as it's white, Christian life, otherwise historically they haven't given a shit. Hell, they've killed their own for BS reasons. No, that's the difference between Christians and "Christians".

edit- Man do I miss Carlin....:(

#77 UncleBob

UncleBob

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:16 AM

Not really an all-out defense of Akin's original comments, but... wow.

http://www.dailymail...ary-people.html
"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy, instead of diminishing evil, it multiplies it."

#78 Spokker

Spokker

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:28 AM

Oh yeah, Christians love human life, as long as it's white, Christian life

Black babies are aborted at a much higher rate than other groups.

http://www.npr.org/2...icans-abortions

The data does show that abortion is more prevalent in the African-American community than among other groups. While black women make up about 13 percent of the U.S. female population, they account for 30 percent of abortions performed in the U.S.

If abortion were outlawed, and I don't think it should be at the federal level or in my own state, it would increase black population figures disproportionately. This type of thinking leads to extremist web sites such as this one.

I don't see how a racist could be pro-life. If anything, racists would look at these figures and support abortion.

#79 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

Look at that deal. It's so great!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:51 AM

One Congressman compares the illegality of dogfighting to the legality of being a pedophile and forcing the victim to having an abortion and now this? It is disturbing how the "real America" keeps hiring these guys to represent them.

But I'm more saddened at how quickly people forget that earlier this year, the GOP tried to cut funding for women's health and held conferences of nothing but men about a female's right to birth control. GOP "War on Women" it sure is fucking false.

Batsugunner.png

#80 mykevermin

mykevermin

Queen of Scotland

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:26 PM

Steve King is a repugnant human being as well.
Posted Image

#81 speedracer

speedracer

Get off my lawn

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:46 PM

Well that didn't move me. Many Dems and Republicans are Christians and believe abortion is abhorrent. Some believe it is a personal choice between the women and her creator and not the government and some believe the government should be involved. Having a debate over the things he rattled off is not wrong it makes for good comedy to exaggerate but poor public discourse.

There's no debate to have. Nobody really feels strongly about it except no-exceptions right to lifers and there's no point to "debating" with them what the policy should be. Their shit is so weak that for them to feel as strongly as they do and with all the energy they put into it, they (their bought and paid for politicians) absolutely DETEST having to talk about it because they know how horrible it sounds.

In April Mitt Romney said he supported personhood (ie no exception legislation). Now he's calling for this guy to quit the race. Why? Seriously, anyone? I can't even think of an answer that's not an utter fabrication. It's only because everyone else is saying it. That's how gutless they are. Even the presidential candidate that's doing everything he can think of to kiss the far right's ass won't give this guy cover and they agree on policy.

I just like these kinds of things because deep down in places they don't like to talk about at parties, it reminds libertarians that they're in bed with statist shitbags that will wheel around and shove big government down their throats as soon as they win. True libertarian mental torture is thinking about the governmental process that will take place (committees? how fucking rad would that be?) that decides whether it was a rape or not when abortion is outlawed cept incest/rape.

srsly tho. economy important n stuff.

Edited by speedracer, 23 August 2012 - 12:56 PM.

Posted Image

#82 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 01:10 PM

One Congressman compares the illegality of dogfighting to the legality of being a pedophile and forcing the victim to having an abortion and now this? It is disturbing how the "real America" keeps hiring these guys to represent them.

But I'm more saddened at how quickly people forget that earlier this year, the GOP tried to cut funding for women's health and held conferences of nothing but men about a female's right to birth control. GOP "War on Women" it sure is fucking false.

In explaining himself, King argues that animals have more rights than fetuses, and suggests that liberals have so devalued life, that a man can rape a young girl, kidnap her, force her to undergo an abortion across state lines, and then “drop her off at the swingset….and that’s not against the law in the United States of America.

Uh, yes it is.

#83 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 23 August 2012 - 01:17 PM

http://thecaucus.blo...party-platform/

Pretty hypocritical that the GOP as Akin to drop out, when they just approved language in the party platform stating support for a constitutional amendment outlawing abortion with no mention of exceptions for rape. Yeah, what Akin said was more inflammatory as it was so nonsensical, but opposing abortion even in rapes is the bigger issue behind his comments.

The platform also supports an amendment banning gay marriage. Here's another column on it.

http://www.nytimes.c...represents.html

#84 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 01:27 PM

Those folks are determined to be on the wrong side of history.

#85 UncleBob

UncleBob

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:05 PM

Pretty hypocritical that the GOP as Akin to drop out, when they just approved language in the party platform stating support for a constitutional amendment outlawing abortion with no mention of exceptions for rape. Yeah, what Akin said was more inflammatory as it was so nonsensical, but opposing abortion even in rapes is the bigger issue behind his comments.

I know this discussion has popped up on the forums before, but I have to disagree, even though I tend to side on the pro-choice side of things.

If someone honestly, truly believes without a doubt the whole "a life is a life is a baby is a fetus is a life" mantra, then they *should* fully believe in outlawing abortions even in the case of rape (the *only* exceptions would be in extreme cases involving the health of the mother).

If a fetus truly is a life, then it should not matter who the parents are or what the circumstances of the creation of that life is - the rape-fetus should be given the same "rights" as every other fetus.

Again, let me stress, I don't agree with the whole fetus=baby thing, but if you honestly do and you make exceptions because the fetus (a.k.a. baby) is a product of rape, then you're a horrible person.
"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy, instead of diminishing evil, it multiplies it."

#86 Sarang01

Sarang01

My Use Name Is Saber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 04:10 PM

UB to me that argument seems to say that if a woman gets pregnant under any circumstances she gives up her rights at conception and becomes an incubator only.
I'll be the first to admit I find abortion abhorrent but I find no issue with a woman having an abortion under the situation of rape or if real protection was used(birth control pills or condoms). In the former case I don't even feel the need to mention adoption given it was unwarranted but the latter it was consensual sex so even if protection was used I MIGHT suggest it as a consideration. Even then I would see no problem that they decide to have an abortion since they showed intent to not have children.
Past this, if it's unprotected, they can have an abortion but I find them utterly disgusting as I don't think it should be used as birth control.
Posted Image

"Friends let friends eat each other out.".

#87 Commander0Zero

Commander0Zero

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 04:21 PM

UB to me that argument seems to say that if a woman gets pregnant under any circumstances she gives up her rights at conception and becomes an incubator only.
I'll be the first to admit I find abortion abhorrent but I find no issue with a woman having an abortion under the situation of rape or if real protection was used(birth control pills or condoms). In the former case I don't even feel the need to mention adoption given it was unwarranted but the latter it was consensual sex so even if protection was used I MIGHT suggest it as a consideration. Even then I would see no problem that they decide to have an abortion since they showed intent to not have children.
Past this, if it's unprotected, they can have an abortion but I find them utterly disgusting as I don't think it should be used as birth control.

I I tend to agree with UB on this as far as why people are taking a strong stand on this. In cases of rape and incest the process of life has stared no matter the circumstances. I personally have no issue with abortion in these cases. But the opinion that Birth Control or a condom somehow removes intent to conceive and then it's okay to have an abortion to me is baffling. Don't have sex. None of those methods ever claim to be 100% effective in preventing unwanted pregnancy but you know what is abstinence (well unless you were a virgin named Mary, so one failure). People have 100's of choices before they lay down and have sex the only thing that has no choice is the fetus/life starting process. Look I'm pro-choice but if women would make better choices they wouldn't be in a situation to have to decide to terminate a pregnancy.
Posted Image

#88 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 23 August 2012 - 04:30 PM

The vast majority of sex people have is for pleasure, not reproduction. It's one of the few pleasures in life. I 100% never want to have kids, but still have lots of sex and always will as long as physically able. Birth control unfortunately isn't 100% effective, so abortions are always going to be needed for the rare cases where if fails even when used properly.

One thing they should change is making it easier to get vasectomies at younger ages. Lots of doctors refuse to do them on younger males. Something like that should never be up to a doctor.

So anyway, I fully get the distinction Sarang was making. No one likes abortions, but they're necessary in some cases IMO as no one who didn't want to have a child should be forced to carry it to term. At the same time, there's no excuse for people who don't want children to not use birth control and take every precaution they can to prevent unwanted pregnancy. Abstinence is an unrealistic option. Unless someone is fucked up physically and just has no sex drive, it's just not reasonable to expect someone who never wants kids to refrain from sex entirely just because of the possibilities of birth control etc. not working. Though again such people should get vasectomies, tubes tied etc. and doctors should do them on any adult who requests them.

Edited by dmaul1114, 23 August 2012 - 05:08 PM.

#89 Commander0Zero

Commander0Zero

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 05:14 PM

The vast majority of sex people have is for pleasure, not reproduction. It's one of the few pleasures in life. I 100% never want to have kids, but still have lots of sex and always will as long as physically able. Birth control unfortunately isn't 100% effective, so abortions are always going to be needed for the rare cases where if fails even when used properly.

One thing they should change is making it easier to get vasectomies at younger ages. Lots of doctors refuse to do them on younger males. Something like that should never be up to a doctor.

And what you stated is fine. But all your rights and freedoms come with personal responsibility. We do alot of things for pleasure and enjoyment that can lead to serious consequences. Having a child is among the most serious. Like I said you choose sex as an activity for recreation doesn't mean now all of a sudden you don't share in the risks and responsibility of your actions (unwanted pregnancy, STD's). And while pro-choice I believe abortion used as birth control is reprehensible. And I repeat this you have 100 choices to make before you have sex. As long as you have sex you will risk unwanted pregnancy and you will also risk getting a women pregnant that might change her view on weather to have the child or not. Something you have no control over. Like i tell my son what you want might be different than what you get.
Posted Image

#90 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 23 August 2012 - 05:27 PM

For sure. And I don't care what others think as it's a personal issue with what one's moral feelings on the matter are--I just take exception at people who try to force their views on others and ban the options available to pregnant women.

I take precautions to prevent unwanted pregnancy, and personally have no moral qualms with abortion as a back up if those precautions fail. And yes, a woman changing her mind when pregnant is possible--especially if it's someone that's not sure if they want kids or not. My current g/f loathes children even more than I do probably (if that's possible) so it's highly unlikely to happen in this case. And it's unlikely I'd ever date anyone who wasn't sure they didn't want kids even if things don't work out long term with this relationship.

But if that it did with her or someone else, well I guess you'd just have to add child support to my other bills. It's the woman's choice and I wouldn't pressure abortion in any way, shape or form. But I also would feel no obligation to be an involved father since anyone I'm dating and sleeping with (I don't have casual sex, one night stands etc.) is well aware that I'm adamantly opposed to ever having kids up front.