Photo
- - - - -

Selected VIZ Media & Warner Anime - $5 ▪ $10 ▪ $13 @ RightStuf.com (ends on 9/24/12)

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

#31 WTK

WTK

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 August 2012 - 04:43 PM

I don't even think Viz does blu-rays for their releases (or at least I have yet to see one), so if you want to see it another company will have to try and pick up the rights to it, but I doubt that will happen. Although other companies have picked up the rights to the movies for certain series like Bleach and Naruto on blu-ray, but I haven't seen any talks of blu-ray releases for any of these shows from Viz, so you might be better off just buying these if you were planning to wait for a blu-ray release which may never happen.

Viz Media anime releases on Blu-ray:

• Berserk movie trilogy (movie 1 in Nov 27th, movies 2 & 3 have BD planned)
  • Bleach movie 3
  • InuYasha: The Final Act (set 1 in Nov. 20th, set 2 in 2013)
  • Naruto Shippuden movie 2
  • Naruto Shippuden movie 3
  • Tiger & Bunny (BD planned for early 2013)
And just as a note, Warner Home Video does distribution for Viz Media.

#32 Kirin Lemon

Kirin Lemon

世界を革命する者

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 August 2012 - 04:44 PM

will there be a inuyasha blu ray coming out because this is tempting.

No.

I don't even think Viz does blu-rays for their releases (or at least I have yet to see one), so if you want to see it another company will have to try and pick up the rights to it, but I doubt that will happen.

Viz will be releasing Blu-rays for their upcoming Inuyasha: The Final Act and Tiger & Bunny releases.
Posted Image

#33 Richard Kain

Richard Kain

Posted 21 August 2012 - 05:37 PM

A lot of older anime series are in 4:3 aspect ratio and don't really warrant Blu-Ray remastering. It's actually fairly rare to see any of them get re-released on Blu-Ray. One of the recent exceptions is DragonBall Z. But frankly, the new Blu-Ray release for that series probably isn't worth the trouble.

I would hold off on buying more recent series on DVD in favor of a Blu-Ray release. For older series though, it's probably fine to just pick up the DVDs. I have the whole Inuyasha DVD collection and can confirm that they are solid releases.

I would not recommend getting Bleach past the first three box sets. The "Bount" arc is...just terrible. Way too much filler in that series. The same can be said for some of the Naruto box sets. They have filler arcs that go on for 30+ episodes. There are entire DVD volumes that can be skipped without missing anything.

#34 theclaw

theclaw

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 02:53 AM

Hmm I have Inuyasha english tv version season 1. Might be time to upgrade.

#35 ssjChris

ssjChris

Posted 22 August 2012 - 03:33 AM

The first three Bleach sets alone are fantastic and include some great boxes and contains artwork for all of the DVDs as they were released in Japan. The Bount arc I used to think was garbage, but it wasn't as bad seeing it a second time around. Just watch it all at once because at times the arc just feels slow at some points (they call it filler for a reason). The sets are cheaper and come in slim DVD cases, but the artwork for each DVD is on the cases which still look great. After the Bount sets, Viz put Bleach in DVD case collections. =(

For Naruto, just get the cheaper sets. Sure, these have storyboards but do you really need a storyboard book for a random episode? It's all in Japanese so it's just something you'll look at once and be like "I guess that's neat". I have all 16 of the Naruto sets and I felt sick because I bought all of the filler too. I would of killed to buy it all for $10 each (most it I got for around $20 though).

The Shippuden sets became generic DVD case collections after the 4th set. But they never made collections for them so I'd bite on the first set if you like Naruto.

As for Inuyasha despite being a diehard fan when I was in high school seem to have some pretty decent looking sets. I don't think I can ever watch Inuyasha again, but thinking back, I think I'd rather watch all of Inuyasha twice than to watch any of that 80 episode long Naruto filler.

EDIT: TL;DR
Buy Bleach Sets 1-3 (all canon)
Buy Naruto Sets 1-10 (all canon)
Buy Shippuden Set 1 (obviously canon)

I never finished Inuyasha, but I heard after a certain point it was heavily plagued with filler and had a terrible ending, which was concluded with The Final Act since the manga finally ended. I never bought the sets so I wouldn't know which ones to buy.

#36 mattrobertsjr

mattrobertsjr

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 05:12 AM

is bleach worth getting ?

#37 Kirin Lemon

Kirin Lemon

世界を革命する者

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 05:30 AM

Speaking for myself, I can't stand it. The characters are flat and undeveloped, the script is more often than not laughably terrible, and the attempts at comedy amount to one character yelling at another character for no particular reason. I guess if you're looking for something where you can just shut your brain off and watch people fight for episodes on end, there's some value in it, but otherwise it's a pass. And if you *do* end up buying it, don't get anything past the first three sets.
Posted Image

#38 mattrobertsjr

mattrobertsjr

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 05:46 AM

thanks for the info.

whos that on your avatar ?

#39 Kirin Lemon

Kirin Lemon

世界を革命する者

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 05:54 AM

thanks for the info.

whos that on your avatar ?

Utena Tenjou from "Revolutionary Girl Utena," my absolute favorite anime.
Posted Image

#40 guardian_owl

guardian_owl

Keeper of the CAG Shrine

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 07:09 PM

Any thoughts on Supernatural?

I found it amusing. Roughly its a retelling / reimagining of season 1 and 2. Half of the stories are based on Season 1 and season 2 episodes, but they don't always have the same outcome and might be from a different character's perspective. Half are original tales, a portion of which the duo interact with distinctively Japanese mythology creatures and one which you follow John Winchester on a hunting trip.

Guardian_owl.png

#41 Magiblaze

Magiblaze

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:38 PM

I like it, probably in my top 20ish anime of all time.Has its moments but the fillers are painful.I'm tempted to buy the first three boxsets,probably where Bleach peaked.Normally I see those being sold around 30, maybe around 15 used for the first boxset used and around 25ish for the 2nd and 3rd used.Tempted to buy it if I didn't feel it was too easy to find Bleach elsewhere and running out of shelf space and already a big backlog from Rightstuf's Christmas sale still from last year.

#42 Drahken

Drahken

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:39 PM

Thanks I picked up all of Inuyasha but will pass on Bleach since it seems to not be completed yet and I don't care for the season splitting crap that went on with season 4 and I presume will go on later perhaps.

#43 kcobain

kcobain

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:08 PM

thanks for the heads up!

#44 WTK

WTK

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:49 AM

Just a FYI, the bigger Naruto sets (26 episodes or so) are getting a MSRP reduction. $49.95 & $39.98 to $24.98 on all 8 sets. It's suppose to take in effect next month, but select online retailers have updated the MSRPs already.

Edited by WTK, 23 August 2012 - 02:11 PM.

#45 oni_saru_sensei

oni_saru_sensei

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 04:13 AM

welp. just bought all the inuyasha ones and the missing naruto sets. wallet am cry :'D

#46 Vash1306

Vash1306

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 04:41 AM

Just a FYI, the bigger Naruto sets (26 episodes or so) are getting a MSRP reduction. $49.98 to $24.98 on all 8 sets. It's suppose to take in effect next month, but select online retailers have updated the MSRPs already.

This is a permanent change correct? :O Where was this announced?

#47 romeogbs19

romeogbs19

Henshin A Go-Go Baby!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 04:59 AM

I don't even think Viz does blu-rays for their releases (or at least I have yet to see one), so if you want to see it another company will have to try and pick up the rights to it, but I doubt that will happen. Although other companies have picked up the rights to the movies for certain series like Bleach and Naruto on blu-ray, but I haven't seen any talks of blu-ray releases for any of these shows from Viz, so you might be better off just buying these if you were planning to wait for a blu-ray release which may never happen.

I've been told that Inuyahsa the anime ended on a rather unfinished note in Season 7, leaving a bitter taste in many peoples' mouths. The problem was that Takahashi fell behind the pace of the animated show and that the production studio wasn't willing to create any more filler episodes. This being the case, a Final Act of 25 episodes of Inuyasha is now coming in apparently two sets -- set to be released in November of THIS year.

In other words, for you Inuyasha collectors, 7 seasons of box sets doesn't wrap it up. You need these last two (second one is not out yet); Oh, SET 1 IS COMING OUT ON BLU RAY:

http://www.amazon.co...=inuyasha final

http://www.amazon.co...=inuyasha final

I have to think that Viz would eventually release a complete collection, but $70 is tempting. I'm going to have to hold off a bit longer ... I do want these, but can't justify it at the moment.

#48 Kirin Lemon

Kirin Lemon

世界を革命する者

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 05:16 AM

I've been told that Inuyahsa the anime ended on a rather unfinished note in Season 7, leaving a bitter taste in many peoples' mouths. The problem was that Takahashi fell behind the pace of the animated show and that the production studio wasn't willing to create any more filler episodes.

Actually, and I only remember this because I was following the fansubs at the time, I believe the reason the anime stopped so suddenly was because the director fell ill. The manga had plenty of material left that the anime could have covered. And unfortunately, the Final Act season that they made years later then had to rush through a whole lot of stuff really quickly in order to cover the rest of the manga within 26 episodes.
Posted Image

#49 FlamedLiquid

FlamedLiquid

The Kersed Sowl

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 05:53 AM

For those of you that don't want to spend over $49 all of these sets ate only slightly more on dvdplanet.com. Only $1.99 for shipping instead of $8.

kinda wondering if dvdplanet accidently priced the 5 disc Death Note sets for $7.xx swing as the ones listed here ate $5......lol

My DVD Collection: http://fiamedliquid.dvdaf.com/
rm8ylt.gif

#50 WTK

WTK

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:26 PM

This is a permanent change correct? :O Where was this announced?

I got the original MSRPs goofed up last night. S1 v.1 & v.2 and S2 v.1 & v.2 goes from $39.98 to $24.98. S3 v.1 & v.2 and S4 v.1 & v.2 goes from $49.98 to $24.98.

You can see the MSRP change already in a couple retailers like Buy.com, DeepDiscount.com, and DVDPlanet.com. It's suppose to take in effect sometime toward mid-September.

#51 TidalDreams

TidalDreams

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 August 2012 - 08:51 PM

When's the last time they had any 25 bargain bin dvds for $100? Gawd, I miss that sale.

#52 Frahps

Frahps

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 August 2012 - 03:23 PM

When's the last time they had any 25 bargain bin dvds for $100? Gawd, I miss that sale.

I still think the best set they had, was the entire set of single Cardcaptor Sakuras for about $70. I remember blowing my budget around then, and I think I was also still hoping to get the boxsets (since singles take up sooooo much room!) Wish I did... Even now, NO ONE (except Australia) wants to license-rescue that show.

#53 Olengie

Olengie

Minato Arisato is the Messiah

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 August 2012 - 03:31 PM

Since I'm a big fan of Inuyasha, I'm probably going to drop the $70 for 7 Seasons. *sigh

gallery_349297_8234_6637.jpg

Designed By Lilchiji

Spoiler

Spoiler

#54 Richard Kain

Richard Kain

Posted 27 August 2012 - 05:09 PM

I'm probably going to drop the $70 for 7 Seasons. *sigh

It's not something to sigh over. This is the cheapest I've ever seen the InuYasha box sets. I used to be thrilled when I could pick them up for $40 each at WalMart. This series used to be extremely expensive to collect. Being able to get the whole thing for $70 is a steal. That's less than 46 cents per episode.

(Sigh) Kids these days, don't know how good they have it. I used to be paying $100 for a single 26-episode box set. And back then we thought that was a bargain, because it was sooooo much cheaper than picking up individual volumes on subtitled VHS.

#55 georox

georox

The Captain

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 August 2012 - 05:18 PM

It's not something to sigh over. This is the cheapest I've ever seen the InuYasha box sets. I used to be thrilled when I could pick them up for $40 each at WalMart. This series used to be extremely expensive to collect. Being able to get the whole thing for $70 is a steal. That's less than 46 cents per episode.

(Sigh) Kids these days, don't know how good they have it. I used to be paying $100 for a single 26-episode box set. And back then we thought that was a bargain, because it was sooooo much cheaper than picking up individual volumes on subtitled VHS.

Oh you mean the $40-60 per VHS with very few episodes on each? :P I remember those days, buying anime at Media Play... every so often Blockbuster would have super-cheap used stuff too.

3DS Friend code - 1418-6866-3699

#56 Chief Keef

Chief Keef

GBE 3hunna

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 August 2012 - 05:31 PM

hmmm I need a new anime maybe I'll pick up Inu, only if it's completed though

all I care about is money, all I care about is hundreds, all I care about is fiftys, all I care about is twentys

all I care about my whereabouts, r.i.p. my niggas they in heaven now

that's all I care about now I keep them weapons round, he say he pullin up we gon wet him down

300*

#57 Olengie

Olengie

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 August 2012 - 05:39 PM

I'm really sighing over anything nor am I trying offend to anyone. Yes, I immediately realized this is a steal, since I already planned to buy the complete series when I have the money. But my wallet is already crying from abuse. Hence the hesitation, especially since figuring in college and various other expenses. However, this is too good to pass up and may be once in a really long time opportunity. Now it's a matter of yes or no. Leaning more on Yes than no.

Sorry I wasn't part of those days, to fully understand how you feel. I was only interested in Gundam back then but I could hardly get them anyway. I wasn't able to fully enjoy getting anime until 2 years ago.

Designed By Lilchiji

Spoiler

Spoiler

#58 Richard Kain

Richard Kain

Posted 27 August 2012 - 06:02 PM

I'm really sighing over anything nor am I trying offend to anyone.

Ah hah, you're not offending anyone. I was just taking this opportunity to shift into full-on crotchety old-man mode, and wave my walking stick at all you whipper-snappers. I know how you feel on bargain fatigue. It happens to me as well when faced with Steam sales followed by Right-Stuf sales. Eventually, I always end up feeling a little guilty when I spend so much on myself.

A week ago, I actually picked up the entirety of Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood on Blu-Ray at Fry's Electronics. I went up to the register willing to accept the $84 worth of damage for the two-box sets, but it turned out that they were having some manner of special I wasn't aware of. As it turns out, it was a buy one, get one half-off sale, and the total for the entire series was around $61.

It really is a very nice time to be a geek. It's getting easier and cheaper to get your hands on all sorts of media.

#59 Olengie

Olengie

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 August 2012 - 07:31 PM

Ah hah, you're not offending anyone. I was just taking this opportunity to shift into full-on crotchety old-man mode, and wave my walking stick at all you whipper-snappers. I know how you feel on bargain fatigue. It happens to me as well when faced with Steam sales followed by Right-Stuf sales. Eventually, I always end up feeling a little guilty when I spend so much on myself.

A week ago, I actually picked up the entirety of Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood on Blu-Ray at Fry's Electronics. I went up to the register willing to accept the $84 worth of damage for the two-box sets, but it turned out that they were having some manner of special I wasn't aware of. As it turns out, it was a buy one, get one half-off sale, and the total for the entire series was around $61.

It really is a very nice time to be a geek. It's getting easier and cheaper to get your hands on all sorts of media.

It's just me mostly complaining about bargain fatigue. It no good at all. I used to be good saving money and stuff but that is slowly slipping away. :/

It really is a nice time to be a geek, when you have the funds to do so. Especially if they aren't OOP stuff (even though you can be lucky and get it cheap)

I always feel guilty on the stuff I buy, thinking, I could've used on something more productive but oh well. I

And that's good for you, getting the Brotherhood goodness for that cheap. Especially at Fry's. I would've loved to get it at that price. :lol:

Designed By Lilchiji

Spoiler

Spoiler

#60 Barney

Barney

Barnito Knows Best!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:35 AM

put out some ranma for sale