Nintendo Power Ceasing Publication

:(

I'm still holding out hope that this is a case of "report first, ask questions later", which is so common these days. But, yeah, maybe not that much hope. :(

As a current subscriber, longtime Nintendo fan, and recently could care less about everything they do I'm not sure I give a crap. It was probably overdue at this point.

I don't understand why they'd cease publication if they have 475 thousands subscribers, especially these days. Maybe that number is wrong, though.

You need to read the article.

- Future wanted it to start shifting towards a digital publication, Nintendo said no
- Nintendo was hard to work with
- Nintendo didn't want to take over the publication (again)

I'm going to get this last issue. I just need to find out where I can get it.

This is such incredibly sad news. I first became a subscriber with issue 21, back when they were giving away a copy of Dragon Warrior (which then became my first RPG) to new subscribers. Since then, I've maintained my subscription and haven't missed a single issue, despite the overall decline in quality of the publication. I'll never forget the wonderful memories I have of the NES and SNES era of the magazine, and how excited I'd be every month when my new issue arrived. I recently viewed a collage of early covers to the magazine, and surprised myself when I realized that I could tell you exactly *where* I was when I first read a majority of those issues. And I still have every single issue, too - I'd never let them go. *Sigh.*

Goodbye, Nintendo Power. It's been an amazing run, and I'll miss you so very much.

I hate to see any video game magazine disappear. Even if it was GamePro. Nintendo Power should have grown up and stopped being such a baby magazine. When all the letters are from 12 year old girls it kind of makes a guy feel dirty just owning that magazine.

And how many times do we have to see one of those yarn mario or links anyways?

I remember getting NP with issue 127, subscribed many times in my childhood, and having many issues of it still in my room today. It is sad to see it go. RIP Nintendo Power

I dropped off shortly after Future took over. Picked up cheap subs from time to time.

Was always a fan. Remember the Nintendo Power Rewards Catalogs? Those were amazing.

Only read Nintendo Power rarely, but when I saw the news on Ars, I was like... wow, it's the end of an era. It had been around so long I thought it would continue on forever.

Sad news indeed... NP was my first Gaming magazine subscription, and may have been my first ever magazine subscription. I had subs off and on over the years, but always enjoyed their issues. I almost bought another sub about 2-3 weeks ago... Glad I didn't.

[quote name='Rig']Was always a fan. Remember the Nintendo Power Rewards Catalogs? Those were amazing.[/QUOTE]

I actually found a couple I had saved while going through a few random boxes last month. After looking through them again, I found all sorts of stuff that made me go, "Why didn't I order that?!" At least I got all the soundtrack CDs they ever offered - some of those are worth upwards of $200 now. Crazy.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']I actually found a couple I had saved while going through a few random boxes last month. After looking through them again, I found all sorts of stuff that made me go, "Why didn't I order that?!" At least I got all the soundtrack CDs they ever offered - some of those are worth upwards of $200 now. Crazy.[/QUOTE]

I didn't get much...never had much money as a kid.

I *did* get Zelda action figures...I believe it was a Zelda/Link/Ganondorf set.

Sadly, I (stupidly) gave them to my nephews a couple years later. >.

Been there since day 1.

Gotta go pour one out for my homies.

>got Dragon Warrior back in the day

There was also a day where I got the Super Metroid Guide from the rewards catalog. That night, I went to a sleep over with a bunch of friends. We stayed up all night playing games, watching Mind's Eye computer animation videos, and eating junk food. One of my friends was working through Super Metroid at the time and brought it over. He got to Draygon and kept dying. I looked up the grappling beam trick and told him I could kill Draygon in seconds. He talked shit the entire time but had to stop mid-sentence when I did the trick and shut down Draygon. It was hilarious.

Gonna miss it. I haven't really been reading it these days, but it's a bastion of childhood long since left over, and has been with me for decades. I'll have to round up all my copies and make sure I'm not missing any, and then put them to rest for eternity.

I remember reading Nintendo Power when I was a kid... It was awesome!

I tried going to the site to see if I could subscribe to show support, but they've taken it off.
Poor Nintendo Power. :cry:

[quote name='Scorch']Awful news.

Someone posted this on Twitter, I mentioned it as well.. PDF of the very first issue.

http://t.co/fVY5MeGP[/QUOTE]

A sad, sad day for sure.

They really need to bring Wart back for at least one game, hell even a Mario Kart or Smash Bros would suffice.

Alas, Subscriber since issue 2 (with a small gap during college).

Weird through, 400K * $20 is still 8 million. Curious what the margins were.

I remember reading that 1st issue over & over. They use to be stratagy guides before that was a thing. I use to hold on to every issue in case i ever got the featured game then they started with "here's the first level, that's it" then by the time the N64 rolled around it was just ads for upcoming games & crappy reviews.

This reminds me of a show like the simpsons. you were great in your day but shoulda quit before it became a poor shadow of what it once was.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']This is such incredibly sad news. I first became a subscriber with issue 21, back when they were giving away a copy of Dragon Warrior (which then became my first RPG) to new subscribers. [/QUOTE]

Me too! (I never played it, but free game was free game) Regrettably, I let my subscription lapse, but I do miss those days.

Someone posted this on Twitter, I mentioned it as well.. PDF of the very first issue.

I still have my copy... plus most of the Fun Club magazines they published prior (I think issue #3 had Zelda on the cover and that was my fist issue). I must have read the one with Zelda II on the cover every night for 6 months.

This one:

79.jpg

Ahhh... the memories... I haven't subscribed since the early 90s though...

I like the magazine as it is now, but can't help but feel that it could use some beefening up.

Nintendo is totally being a dick about this, but this is to be expected since they dumped it. They could've kept the thing running, especially since every bob and sue owns a Wii or a DS, but they just didn't want to run a magazine to reduce their risk. Future Publishing picked it up at least, but now Nintendo doesn't want it anymore? What the hell?
Sure everything is going digital, but it still doesn't beat the feeling of holding something in your hands and reading it on paper.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']This is such incredibly sad news. I first became a subscriber with issue 21, back when they were giving away a copy of Dragon Warrior (which then became my first RPG) to new subscribers.[/QUOTE]

That's the exact issue I signed up for. I only kept the sub for a couple years though.

After yesterday's report that the 24-year history of Nintendo Power was coming to an end, Nintendo has confirmed that the December 2012 issue will be the magazine's last. "Nintendo can confirm that Future US will end the production of Nintendo Power magazine with the last issue slated for December 2012," the company told CVG (which is also owned by Future Publishing, incidentally).

According to yesterday's report, Nintendo was "difficult to work with" and did little to help Future transition the magazine into the online era. Nintendo Power staff members will reportedly migrate to other Future publications.
http://www.joystiq.com/2012/08/22/nintendo-powers-last-issue-will-run-in-december/

Am I the only one who enjoyed the Future rendition of Nintendo Power? I loved the retro game of the month, the section for dedicated fans and their creations, some truly fantastic interviews, even from devs/artists/musicians/whatever barely involved with Nintendo systems, and their reviews, which seemed a tad more objective (case in point, some Pokemon game for Wii got 6.5 along with some very valid criticism as to why it's not ERMAGHERD POKEMON 9.5/10) I don't honestly feel the old regime would have gave that game a 6.5.

I'm going to miss the hell out of Nintendo Power.

Haven't read it in years but have many fond memories. I still have a few old issues lying around... I can still remember my excitement when I came home to find Link's Awakening on the cover of the issue that had just arrived.

Thanks for that, I can also just go and pull my issue out and look it over. ;)

I just went and gave my nephew pretty much 90% of all of the issues I had of NP, I pretty much also cleaned out every issue of every other video game magazine I had collected for the past 25 years. (10 boxes worth)

I Still kept the older NP's from the first few years, and some old EGM's that are near and dear. I'm actually in the Super C issue in the NES Achievers Section, even though I don't own a copy of it (I have a digital copy) those older issues are much nicer than the stuff from the N64 and onward era.

I don't think I would have re-subscribed over the years if it wasn't for the free strategy guides over the years (I collect the Zelda ones) and I think the last one was for the Zelda anniversary collection game.

It is another sign that Nintendo has lost touch with the fans and its user base giving them what they want and making them a unified community, where's Howard Phillips when you need him most.

RIP Nintendo Power, an end of an era.

[quote name='uncle5555']Thanks for that, I can also just go and pull my issue out and look it over. ;)

I just went and gave my nephew pretty much 90% of all of the issues I had of NP, I pretty much also cleaned out every issue of every other video game magazine I had collected for the past 25 years. (10 boxes worth)

I Still kept the older NP's from the first few years, and some old EGM's that are near and dear. I'm actually in the Super C issue in the NES Achievers Section, even though I don't own a copy of it (I have a digital copy) those older issues are much nicer than the stuff from the N64 and onward era.

I don't think I would have re-subscribed over the years if it wasn't for the free strategy guides over the years (I collect the Zelda ones) and I think the last one was for the Zelda anniversary collection game.

It is another sign that Nintendo has lost touch with the fans and its user base giving them what they want and making them a unified community, where's Howard Phillips when you need him most.

RIP Nintendo Power, an end of an era.[/QUOTE]

Running the Mariners.

so what happens to the money they got i just renew and think had it till march 2013 .... they better not even think about adding onto another chic mag i get in the mail...

cant think of the freaking name but every time a mag goes under they push the money to that mag and have it till AUG 2041 WTF

Nintendo Power died a long time ago. It was great during the SNES and N64 days, but it went down the drain with pretty much every other gaming magazine starting in the 00s.

To this day, my fondest memory of Nintendo Power is getting the issue where Ocarina of Time was reviewed... and scoring a 9.5. My brother and I had never seen a game score that high in NP before and it blew our minds.

Even though I haven't picked it up in over a decade, it's sad to see it go. Good night, NP... you will be missed.

[quote name='slidecage']so what happens to the money they got i just renew and think had it till march 2013 .... they better not even think about adding onto another chic mag i get in the mail...

cant think of the freaking name but every time a mag goes under they push the money to that mag and have it till AUG 2041 WTF[/QUOTE]

enjoy your subscription to "Better Homes and Gardens" :lol:

crap just check and seen this

Nintendo Power Aug 1, 2014 No Payment Due

Ummmm what the hell did i do a 3 year contract or something I dont remember renewing till 2014

Pisses me off I cant think of the name of the book since i toss them in the trash every month... Its something like

STUFF

Also found out seems i get money back

Nintendo Power's last issue will be the December 2012 issue, which will be mailed to subscribers in late November and sold on newsstands starting December 4. If your subscription extends past the final December 2012 issue, you will receive a refund or credit card credit of the remaining value of your subscription. If you reside in the US or Canada, your refund will arrive within 4-6 weeks after the December 2012 issue; for customers outside the US and Canada, your refund will arrive 6-10 weeks after the December 2012 issue.

I've been a subscriber since issue 89, and Nintendo Power is what made me want to be a video game journalist. I can remember excitedly running out to check the mail for the newest issue every month. My friends and I would happily flip through the pages, awestruck at the gorgeous N64 screen shots and fanatical with hype over awesome new games.

I don't blame Nintendo for not wanting the magazine to go digital. Future makes all of their publications digital to save on the cost of printing, yet you can't emulate that feel of having a magazine in your hands. I personally prefer printed text over digital jargon. It doesn't feel authentic. And who knows? Official Playstation Magazine ceased publication for a few years, then they came back. Perhaps Nintendo will too.

I still have all of my Power Supply catalogs and even some Power Bucks lying around. Remember when they used to have an awesome poster in every issue? And when they printed Pokemon? Good times...

[quote name='Blade']...And who knows? Official Playstation Magazine ceased publication for a few years, then they came back. Perhaps Nintendo will too...[/QUOTE]

Actually it wasn't even that long, after they killed OPM, it was maybe 6-7 months and then PSM was turned into PtoM, since after Sony decided no more demo discs there was no need for an official magazine to shop there wares, then they doubled back and decided that it was in there best interest to have some official magazine to get news out to those not on the internet or as a supplement to internet announcements, hence the new magazine rose from the ashes of the old one.

Went looking last night after I made my post, I actually kept every issue I had from 1-44, but everything after that I gave away. Since Nintendo basically killed its PR dept anyway, I'd be surprised if they resurrect NP in any form whatsoever. This isn't the Nintendo of the old days sadly enough.

Guess what people. PlayStation The Official Magazine is dead now too. I had a years worth of issues left on my sub too. The last issues are 12/12 and holiday 12.

NP was more nostalgia for me, after Nintendo stopped publishing it seemed kind of bland for me but I still did keep a sub off and on.

I still remember reading the Howard and Nestor comic strips, those were my favorite!!! Something I didn't care for but couldn't help but read was the Don't hassle the Hoff column.

bread's done
Back