• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#31 uncle5555

uncle5555

Grumpy Veteran CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:41 AM

Awful news.

Someone posted this on Twitter, I mentioned it as well.. PDF of the very first issue.

http://t.co/fVY5MeGP

Thanks for that, I can also just go and pull my issue out and look it over. ;)

I just went and gave my nephew pretty much 90% of all of the issues I had of NP, I pretty much also cleaned out every issue of every other video game magazine I had collected for the past 25 years. (10 boxes worth)

I Still kept the older NP's from the first few years, and some old EGM's that are near and dear. I'm actually in the Super C issue in the NES Achievers Section, even though I don't own a copy of it (I have a digital copy) those older issues are much nicer than the stuff from the N64 and onward era.

I don't think I would have re-subscribed over the years if it wasn't for the free strategy guides over the years (I collect the Zelda ones) and I think the last one was for the Zelda anniversary collection game.

It is another sign that Nintendo has lost touch with the fans and its user base giving them what they want and making them a unified community, where's Howard Phillips when you need him most.

RIP Nintendo Power, an end of an era.
The CAG motto: "Maybe you'll luck out and get the game during a sale before it sells out, maybe not, that's the life of a CAG. Luck of the draw. And timing is everything."

#32 slidecage

slidecage

Nothing to say

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:52 AM

so what happens to the money they got i just renew and think had it till march 2013 .... they better not even think about adding onto another chic mag i get in the mail...

cant think of the freaking name but every time a mag goes under they push the money to that mag and have it till AUG 2041 WTF
WOOOO I STINK

#33 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:53 AM

Nintendo Power died a long time ago. It was great during the SNES and N64 days, but it went down the drain with pretty much every other gaming magazine starting in the 00s.

To this day, my fondest memory of Nintendo Power is getting the issue where Ocarina of Time was reviewed... and scoring a 9.5. My brother and I had never seen a game score that high in NP before and it blew our minds.

Even though I haven't picked it up in over a decade, it's sad to see it go. Good night, NP... you will be missed.

Currently playing:
:psp: Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together - :) :bomb:

fyreboltx.png
║My Tradelists: Games, Guides & Game Related Goodies║Wantlist║

#34 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:53 AM

so what happens to the money they got i just renew and think had it till march 2013 .... they better not even think about adding onto another chic mag i get in the mail...

cant think of the freaking name but every time a mag goes under they push the money to that mag and have it till AUG 2041 WTF

enjoy your subscription to "Better Homes and Gardens" :lol:

#35 slidecage

slidecage

Nothing to say

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 01:01 AM

crap just check and seen this

Nintendo Power Aug 1, 2014 No Payment Due

Ummmm what the hell did i do a 3 year contract or something I dont remember renewing till 2014

Pisses me off I cant think of the name of the book since i toss them in the trash every month... Its something like

STUFF

Also found out seems i get money back

Nintendo Power's last issue will be the December 2012 issue, which will be mailed to subscribers in late November and sold on newsstands starting December 4. If your subscription extends past the final December 2012 issue, you will receive a refund or credit card credit of the remaining value of your subscription. If you reside in the US or Canada, your refund will arrive within 4-6 weeks after the December 2012 issue; for customers outside the US and Canada, your refund will arrive 6-10 weeks after the December 2012 issue.
WOOOO I STINK

#36 crunchewy

crunchewy

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:08 PM

I'm glad to hear they'll refund us for an remaining subscription time. We were subscribed through March.
Posted Image

#37 Blade

Blade

Trying to have a member title that's longer than MDerrick

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:58 PM

I've been a subscriber since issue 89, and Nintendo Power is what made me want to be a video game journalist. I can remember excitedly running out to check the mail for the newest issue every month. My friends and I would happily flip through the pages, awestruck at the gorgeous N64 screen shots and fanatical with hype over awesome new games.

I don't blame Nintendo for not wanting the magazine to go digital. Future makes all of their publications digital to save on the cost of printing, yet you can't emulate that feel of having a magazine in your hands. I personally prefer printed text over digital jargon. It doesn't feel authentic. And who knows? Official Playstation Magazine ceased publication for a few years, then they came back. Perhaps Nintendo will too.

I still have all of my Power Supply catalogs and even some Power Bucks lying around. Remember when they used to have an awesome poster in every issue? And when they printed Pokemon? Good times...

#38 uncle5555

uncle5555

Grumpy Veteran CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:20 PM

...And who knows? Official Playstation Magazine ceased publication for a few years, then they came back. Perhaps Nintendo will too...

Actually it wasn't even that long, after they killed OPM, it was maybe 6-7 months and then PSM was turned into PtoM, since after Sony decided no more demo discs there was no need for an official magazine to shop there wares, then they doubled back and decided that it was in there best interest to have some official magazine to get news out to those not on the internet or as a supplement to internet announcements, hence the new magazine rose from the ashes of the old one.

Went looking last night after I made my post, I actually kept every issue I had from 1-44, but everything after that I gave away. Since Nintendo basically killed its PR dept anyway, I'd be surprised if they resurrect NP in any form whatsoever. This isn't the Nintendo of the old days sadly enough.
The CAG motto: "Maybe you'll luck out and get the game during a sale before it sells out, maybe not, that's the life of a CAG. Luck of the draw. And timing is everything."

#39 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:42 AM

Guess what people. PlayStation The Official Magazine is dead now too. I had a years worth of issues left on my sub too. The last issues are 12/12 and holiday 12.

#40 skiizim

skiizim

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:03 AM

NP was more nostalgia for me, after Nintendo stopped publishing it seemed kind of bland for me but I still did keep a sub off and on.

I still remember reading the Howard and Nestor comic strips, those were my favorite!!! Something I didn't care for but couldn't help but read was the Don't hassle the Hoff column.