Preorder - The Sky: The Art of Final Fantasy Boxed Set [Slipcase] - $59.20

• Please log in to reply
352 replies to this topic

#1 barrit

barrit

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 August 2012 - 05:36 PM

New Slipcase Version (thanks for the heads up themaster20000, and suko_32 for the link!)

Previously available only as a part of the now sold-out The Sky: The Art of Final Fantasy Boxed Set, Dark Horse is pleased to offer fans another chance to own the three-book hardcover set The Sky I, II, and III, included in the new The Sky: The Art of Final Fantasy Slipcased Edition! Yoshitaka Amano is one of the world's foremost fantasy artists, and The Sky I, II, and III showcase Amano's ethereal illustrations for the first ten Final Fantasy games! Each hardcover book in The Sky Slipcased Edition is 11 5/8" high by 10 5/8" wide, and printed on glossy stock. Volume 1 (144 pages) contains Amano's work for Final Fantasy I-III. Volume 2 (276 pages) contains his contributions for Final Fantasy IV-VI, and volume 3 (156 pages) features his art for Final Fantasy VII-X. The elegant slipcase containing The Sky I, II, and III features the same wraparound exterior artwork as The Sky Boxed Set, with a double-hinged flap that folds around the open edge and is held flat to the back side with a hidden magnetic closure, making it easy both to remove the books and to display the set closed. Don't miss your chance to return to the strange and beautiful realms of Yoshitaka Amano with The Sky: The Art of Final Fantasy Slipcased Edition!

To summarize, this is the re-release of ONLY Volume 1-3 art books in a slipcase. It does not contain any of the additional books/items of the Original release listed below.

Amazon
http://www.amazon.co...heapassgam08-20 - $59.20

Rightstuf
http://www.rightstuf...cheap-ass-gamer - $67.49

51Ylb4Rez1L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Original OOS Version with additional books, and signed 5 3/4" by 8 1/4" card by Yoshitaka Amano

Amazon US - $88.19 - OOS

Rightstuf - $104.99 + free shipping - OOS

The Book Depository - $104.99 + free shipping - OOS

Amazon UK - NOW £89.25 + Shipping (previously was £68.25 + Shipping.)

Thanks themaster20000, Ionotropic, and Youngnoble for the additional links!

Yoshitaka Amano is one of the world's foremost fantasy artists, and the limited-edition The Sky: The Art of Final Fantasy boxed set is a giant-sized (462 cubic inches!), signed collection of five books, plus bonus items that showcase Amano's ethereal illustrations for the first ten Final Fantasy games! The 12" high, 11" wide, and 3 1/2" deep box that encloses The Sky has a hinged lid decorated with artwork from Amano inside and out. Its contents include: Three 11 3/4" by 10 1/2" hardcover books, printed on high-quality stock. Volume 1 (144 pages) contains Amano's work for Final Fantasy I - III. Volume 2 (276 pages) contains his contributions for Final Fantasy IV - VI, and Volume 3 (156 pages) features his art for Final Fantasy VII - X. All About Yoshitaka Amano is 128 pages of photographs and images, serving as the most extensive look ever in English at the artist, including an interview with Amano, a timeline of his career, a glimpse into his studio in SoHo and his favorite places in New York, a visual index of each illustration that appears in the three The Sky hardcover art books, and more! A 2 1/4" by 4 3/4" 100 page Final Fantasy animation flip book designed by Amano, containing two different "movies." A 10 1/4" by 11" acetate print with silver ink. Two 5 3/4" by 8 1/4" postcards featuring the interior and exterior art used on the box. And finally, a signed 5 3/4" by 8 1/4" card by Yoshitaka Amano!

DH14856lg.jpg

Edited by barrit, 18 July 2013 - 06:18 AM.

#2 themaster20000

themaster20000

You sleeping yet?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 August 2012 - 05:38 PM

http://www.rightstuf...tem/95044/4/0/0

Picture of the whole box set here.

#3 barrit

barrit

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 August 2012 - 05:41 PM

http://www.rightstuf...tem/95044/4/0/0

Picture of the whole box set here.

Thanks! I did a search and found a bigger pic.

#4 Jack_Frost

Jack_Frost

Posted 21 August 2012 - 05:44 PM

oh just take all my monies

#5 Saix_XIII

Saix_XIII

Video Game Addict

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 August 2012 - 05:51 PM

First Valkyria Chronicles, then Zelda, and now FF....Ugh thankfully this is a bit too much for me to justify, but I am very tempted.

532919.pngsig.gif

Repetition in a game is NOT a bad thing, almost all games are repetitive. What matters is if YOU enjoy the game, then the repetition becomes enjoyable and doesn't feel monotonous or boring.
My Trade List

#6 TrumpetDan

TrumpetDan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 August 2012 - 05:56 PM

So incredibly tempted. I added it to my wish list, we'll see if the price drops any further.

#7 Strell

Strell

LOBSTERS!....IN MY PANTS!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 August 2012 - 05:59 PM

OH SHIT PREORDERED

I loooooooooooooooooooooooves me some Amano.

Posted Image
Aminal Crossing: Strell@Tazmily, 2836-3590- 0819

"One of the more...amusing screwballs around here..." - shrike4242
Join the El Hoardo Fan Club!
Threadless.com puts the fun back in laundry!...lafundry! HOORAY! (Referral link)
Wii Obscure FAQ and Facts Thread [Version 2.0] ::: Wii Shop Thread ::: DSi Shop Thread

#8 Coltin

Coltin

Posted 21 August 2012 - 06:10 PM

Pretty tempted to pick this up.

Under publisher info it has October 30, 2012. Is this the release date?

#9 keine

keine

Posted 21 August 2012 - 06:19 PM

Posted Image

thanks OP
Posted Image "I want me some glory hole." -The Great Jerry Jones

#10 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 21 August 2012 - 06:51 PM

Soon Cheapy will have to rebrand the site as CAGA, Cheap Ass Gamer Art.

#11 Kay_Faraday

Kay_Faraday

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 August 2012 - 07:23 PM

Pre ordered. :) Thank OP.

#12 SMBScooby

SMBScooby

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:03 PM

First Valkyria Chronicles, then Zelda, and now FF....Ugh thankfully this is a bit too much for me to justify, but I am very tempted.

What is the link for Valkyria Chronicles? Is it paperback? I think I am getting the Zelda and the FF.

#13 ARsignal11

ARsignal11

Pirate King

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:09 PM

A bit too expensive for me. While I would love to have it, I can't justify spending that much money on something that I would look at only a few times every so often.

#14 barrit

barrit

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:26 PM

What is the link for Valkyria Chronicles? Is it paperback? I think I am getting the Zelda and the FF.

There's actually 2 of them out already, with a 3rd coming out for VC3. All of them are paperback.

#15 HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ

HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:33 PM

There's actually 2 of them out already, with a 3rd coming out for VC3. All of them are paperback.

In English?(for the 3rd one)

Posted Image

#16 barrit

barrit

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:39 PM

In English?(for the 3rd one)

Yes. http://www.amazon.co.../dp/1926778618/

#17 Kay_Faraday

Kay_Faraday

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 August 2012 - 04:45 PM

Sold out. :o

#18 Ionotropic

Ionotropic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 September 2012 - 10:39 AM

this thing appears to be OOS everywhere, but bookdepository still has it for $104.99 shipped

http://www.bookdepos...o/9781616550394

#19 Youngnoble

Youngnoble

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 September 2012 - 11:54 AM

It's still available on amazon.uk as well.

http://www.amazon.co...aw_bottom_links

#20 Poor2More

Poor2More

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:40 PM

Damn I would of loved to buy this set, got all excited when Amazon.uk (ship to US) still has it for preorder except its $108+shipping, but only $88 on Amazon : (, dident preorder
Posted Image

#21 barrit

barrit

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:36 PM

Thanks for the additional links, I updated the OP.

I didn't order it myself yet since I didn't think it would sell out from Amazon. Amazon charges tax for me now, so the other links are only about $10 more. I don't feel too bad about missing out on the $88 deal.

By the way, if it does come back in stock at Amazon, how hard is it to cancel an order from Rightstuf or Book depository? I've never ordered from either.

#22 Ionotropic

Ionotropic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:45 PM

Thanks for the additional links, I updated the OP.

I didn't order it myself yet since I didn't think it would sell out from Amazon. Amazon charges tax for me now, so the other links are only about $10 more. I don't feel too bad about missing out on the $88 deal.

By the way, if it does come back in stock at Amazon, how hard is it to cancel an order from Rightstuf or Book depository? I've never ordered from either.

For BD you have to email them to cancel the order.

#23 anotherpoorgamer

anotherpoorgamer

Bird's Nest Hair

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:11 PM

Hmm... I wonder if they could make a smaller paperback version without the signatures for less than $40?

This is really nice and all, but out of my price range. Even if I were to raise the funds, this limited edition will be long gone by then.

#24 ponn01

ponn01

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:44 PM

preordered from Amazon as soon as this thread popped up. Thanks for the heads up, glad I did now. Will be an early birthday present for myself.

#25 Bumslie

Bumslie

Positive Mental Attitude

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:54 PM

When looking this up I found a site that had pics of all the stuff. It was a Japan edition from 2006 I think. Everything here looks the same. People were importing this from $400-600 from this forum I saw. Set looks solid for the price.

#26 joeyatog

joeyatog

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:51 PM

This is being released by Dark Horse and was in Previews back in June I believe. It is scheduled to come out 10/31 along with Amano's first graphic novel: Deva Zan! I am anxiously awaiting both titles!
Posted Image

#27 NolbertoS

NolbertoS

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:58 PM

Well, no loss from me..I'm sure most of the people that bought it will flip it on ebay. If it was priced like the Zelda Art book, maybe I would've bitten, myself. I can see this collecting dust on my collector's shelf, after glancing once only, had I bought it. Hard to resist the urge to buy :p
Circuit City shall burn in Hell

#28 morrodox

morrodox

Hedonistic Iconoclast

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 September 2012 - 05:05 PM

The main reason this is so expensive is because they know people will buy it regardless of price because it's Final Fantasy.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it's a gorgeous artbook, but still.

#29 Strell

Strell

LOBSTERS!....IN MY PANTS!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 September 2012 - 05:14 PM

The main reason this is so expensive is because they know people will buy it regardless of price because it's Final Fantasy.

I own several art books by Amano that are full of gorgeous, inspiring artwork, and the prices were not near as reasonable as this three book set, so I don't think this is quite the case.

Posted Image
Aminal Crossing: Strell@Tazmily, 2836-3590- 0819

"One of the more...amusing screwballs around here..." - shrike4242
Join the El Hoardo Fan Club!
Threadless.com puts the fun back in laundry!...lafundry! HOORAY! (Referral link)
Wii Obscure FAQ and Facts Thread [Version 2.0] ::: Wii Shop Thread ::: DSi Shop Thread

#30 Gosha

Gosha

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 September 2012 - 05:25 PM

I actually think its cheap, since its 3 huge artbooks essentially. Books are not cheap.