METAL GEAR SOLID HD COLLECTION XBOX 360 $24.99 on XBOX LIVE

BamNanas

CAGiversary!
This is my first thread :D saw it on live today. So I wanted to share with everyone sorry if it been posted already.
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/MGS-HDC/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8024b4e0840

Share your thoughts deal or no deal. I'm debating whether to wait for it to hit $19.99 but $24.99 is the cheapest I've seen it yet especially through xbox live lol :bouncy:

EDIT: The deal is only for Metal Gear Solid 2 & 3. Doesn't include Peace Walker my bad for the mix up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why get it digitally when you can have a physical copy for $5 bucks more. Then you can be guaranteed to play it if xbox live goes out of service.

This download only includes Disc 1, which is MGS2 and MGS3.

Disc 2 (Peace Walker) will be made available for purchase separately, probably for the same price.

[quote name='needler420']Why get it digitally when you can have a physical copy for $5 bucks more. Then you can be guaranteed to play it if xbox live goes out of service.[/QUOTE]

Where do you see it being sold for $30 at a reputable source? MSRP is currently $40 and Amazon has it for $35.

[quote name='Ham Salad 360']This download only includes Disc 1, which is MGS2 and MGS3.

Disc 2 (Peace Walker) will be made available for purchase separately, probably for the same price.[/QUOTE]

Oh, that sucks. Didn't even notice. Buyer beware I guess.

[quote name='Spokker']Where do you see it being sold for $30 at a reputable source? MSRP is currently $40 and Amazon has it for $35.[/QUOTE]

It was $29.99 on PS3 and xbox on amazon 48 hours ago. Price just readjusted in the last 48 hours.

It will be back at $29.99 within days though. Its been $30 off and on for a very long time.

[quote name='needler420']It was $29.99 on PS3 and xbox on amazon 48 hours ago. Price just readjusted in the last 48 hours.

It will be back at $29.99 within days though. Its been $30 off and on for a very long time.[/QUOTE]

Irrelevant comparison now that I know Peace Walker is not in it. My bad.

Yeah, I would spend $5 more and get Peace Walker.

Saw this on the dashboard. Looked at the description and like everyone said, it is missing the PSP game.

Would have been a better deal if it was the entire hd collection. +1 for the physical disc version.

Well technically that IS the title of the game, as far as the discs and achievements go. So I don't know about super deceptive...but somewhat, at least.

[quote name='Skydude']Well technically that IS the title of the game, as far as the discs and achievements go. So I don't know about super deceptive...but somewhat, at least.[/QUOTE]

Really? What is the other disc called, MGS: Peace Walker?

[quote name='tylerh1701']Really? What is the other disc called, MGS: Peace Walker?[/QUOTE]

On xbox yeah. On PS3 its all on one disc.

[quote name='NoelVermillion']It shouldn't even be called MSG- hd collection, it should be called MSG-HD collection 1/2[/QUOTE]

PW comes out next week for PS3 and 360, but Konami's press release says the digital download bundle that includes MGS2, MGS3 and PW will be a PS3 exclusive.

[quote name='needler420']Why get it digitally when you can have a physical copy for $5 bucks more. Then you can be guaranteed to play it if xbox live goes out of service.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure you don't have to be connected to Xbox Live to play these.

[quote name='Kazuya']I'm pretty sure you don't have to be connected to Xbox Live to play these.[/QUOTE]

Once a digital service goes under you don't lose what's already downloaded till the HDD corrupts or the system.

Another words when ever the day comes that xbox live shuts down you can only play the game on the HDD it was downloaded to.

Anyone who owns a physical copy doesn't have to depend on the servers they can just repurchase a new/used console.

It works the same way with the PSN and most digital services. In general you don't have to be on xbox live to play it though. Just to initially download and probably install it.

[quote name='NoelVermillion']It shouldn't even be called MSG- hd collection, it should be called MSG-HD collection 1/2[/QUOTE]

MGS-HD collection 2/3 would be a better description, since it's the second and third games and two-thirds of the retail collection. ;)

[quote name='needler420']Once a digital service goes under you don't lose what's already downloaded till the HDD corrupts or the system.

Another words when ever the day comes that xbox live shuts down you can only play the game on the HDD it was downloaded to.

Anyone who owns a physical copy doesn't have to depend on the servers they can just repurchase a new/used console.

Its works the same way with the PSN and most digital services.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, and if your dad steps on your physical copy you're SOL, meanwhile I have an indestructible digital copy I can access anywhere. Both formats have pros and cons. The hoarders are always so worried about digital copies expiring, even though there is no evidence this will happen. Xbox Live has been around for 10 years now and seems poised for at least another ten with a new console looming. If I can't play Metal Gear Solid 2 in the year 2150 I'm sure I'll survive on all the other things I liked to do when I grew up and out of Mom's basement.

[quote name='needler420']Once a digital service goes under you don't lose what's already downloaded till the HDD corrupts or the system.

It works the same way with the PSN and most digital services. In general you don't have to be on xbox live to play it though. Just to initially download and probably install it.[/QUOTE]

This needs to read by those who wish or don't care if 100% digital distribution becomes true with consoles. You rights are limited with digital downloads and should reflect in price. Vote with your wallet, buy the retail disk unless you are getting at least > 50% savings.

[quote name='Kazuya']Yeah, and if your dad steps on your physical copy you're SOL, meanwhile I have an indestructible digital copy I can access anywhere. Both formats have pros and cons. The hoarders are always so worried about digital copies expiring, even though there is no evidence this will happen. Xbox Live has been around for 10 years now and seems poised for at least another ten with a new console looming. If I can't play Metal Gear Solid 2 in the year 2150 I'm sure I'll survive on all the other things I liked to do when I grew up and out of Mom's basement.[/QUOTE]

You must have missed the memo to what happened to the first xbox live service.

[quote name='needler420']You must have missed the memo to what happened to the first xbox live service.[/QUOTE]

Oh please, it wasn't anything like the current version. And again, there is no evidence that the current services are going to stop... except for the paranoid delusions of people who think they will be gaming in the retirement home.

Haha, if there is a great deal on Xbox Live there is always a catch! Those guys dont give away anything.

[quote name='Kazuya']Oh please, it wasn't anything like the current version. And again, there is no evidence that the current services are going to stop... except for the paranoid delusions of people who think they will be gaming in the retirement home.[/QUOTE]

There have been countless cases of people not being able to re-download digital games/music/movies/etc. they've purchased on XBL/PSN/Amazon/etc. due to expired licenses/etc. and not getting their money back. The fools here are the ones who buy the digital copies of media that they DO NOT own and can't resell.

[quote name='speedracer']So, is this a good place to step into the MGS world? I've never played any of em cept the NES version.[/QUOTE]

MGS3, does not require any previous knowledge as it is a prequel and it is probably my favorite out of the series. It's been a while since I've played 2 and it was my first MGS game, but if I recall correctly they do pretty well to fill in the gaps. I haven't touched Peace Walker so not sure about that one.

I just saw they released MGS2 and 3 separately for $14.99 each. I also have not played any of these except trying 2 on the Vita. Would 3 be good to play first? I hear it's probably the best of the series.

If you are just starting out are not sure if you will like the series, I'd recommend playing snake eater (MGS3). The game is a prequel to the other games so you won't really need to know the backstory from the other games and it has the best story/characters in my opinion.

The only bad thing about starting with 3 is that if you do enjoy the game, going back and playing the older games will feel dated in the controls department.

In all honesty the best thing to do is start with MGS1 if you can handle the PS1 graphics. If play the series in order you will appreciate 3 even more since many of the characters are younger versions of themselves.

[quote name='speedracer']So, is this a good place to step into the MGS world? I've never played any of em cept the NES version.[/QUOTE]
MGS 3 is so fucking awesome and MGS 2 is just as good.

[quote name='Kazuya']Oh please, it wasn't anything like the current version. And again, there is no evidence that the current services are going to stop... except for the paranoid delusions of people who think they will be gaming in the retirement home.[/QUOTE]

Servers for games shut down all the time. Titles are always being removed from marketplaces when their rights expire. These things do happen, its not like people are just making it up. Knowing the latest stance on backwards compatibility, I would not be surprised if next gen systems don't play current gen games. And at that point, the downloads will be removed for new games.

If I have a disc version, I can play it for as long as I want. If I lose the disc, break it, scratch it up, or if I'm stupid enough to leave it on the floor to be stepped on...those are all things I have control over and can help avoid by not being an idiot and taking care of my shit. If a digital distribution service shuts down, I have zero control over it. And unless I've saved my digital games to an uncorruptable hard drive, I'm always at risk of losing them and never getting them back. With hard discs, I can always get a copy. Even if I have to pay an arm and a leg for the rare games, the option is still there.

[quote name='captaintek3304']Servers for games shut down all the time. Titles are always being removed from marketplaces when their rights expire. These things do happen, its not like people are just making it up. Knowing the latest stance on backwards compatibility, I would not be surprised if next gen systems don't play current gen games. And at that point, the downloads will be removed for new games.

If I have a disc version, I can play it for as long as I want. If I lose the disc, break it, scratch it up, or if I'm stupid enough to leave it on the floor to be stepped on...those are all things I have control over and can help avoid by not being an idiot and taking care of my shit. If a digital distribution service shuts down, I have zero control over it. And unless I've saved my digital games to an uncorruptable hard drive, I'm always at risk of losing them and never getting them back. With hard discs, I can always get a copy. Even if I have to pay an arm and a leg for the rare games, the option is still there.[/QUOTE]

Again, there are pros and cons to both formats. I can play my PSOne digital classics on my PSP or my Vita. I'd like to watch you stick your old PlayStation disc on the PSP and play it. Digital copies don't take up any physical space, can have superior load times and can be downloaded on to other consoles without having to carry anything around or go to a store. And even a two year old can come up with a simple redundancy plan to keep their games safely backed up. I have several delisted XBLA games safely copied away, and unless two drives fail at the same time nothing is going to happen to them, and I won't need Xbox Live at all. There are good things about discs too, but I'm tired of people coming into threads with digital content and saying the same crap. 99% of gamers do not care about having a copy of a mass market game to last until the end of time and aren't worried about Xbox Live Armageddon. Lasting as long as their Mountain Dew powered attention span is plenty. So unless you've got a disc deal that's cheaper than this deal, stop raining on the digital parade.

[quote name='bfg9k']When did this happen??[/QUOTE]

There is/was an update released/coming out shortly that will allow ps1 games on the vita.

I haven't turned my vita on in a while to find out, lol

[quote name='captaintek3304']If I have a disc version, I can play it for as long as I want. If I lose the disc, break it, scratch it up, or if I'm stupid enough to leave it on the floor to be stepped on...those are all things I have control over and can help avoid by not being an idiot and taking care of my shit. If a digital distribution service shuts down, I have zero control over it. And unless I've saved my digital games to an uncorruptable hard drive, I'm always at risk of losing them and never getting them back. With hard discs, I can always get a copy. Even if I have to pay an arm and a leg for the rare games, the option is still there.[/QUOTE]

As you've pointed out, whether you have your games on a hard drive or on a retail disc, you're still at risk of losing access to the game one way or another.

Please correct if I'm wrong, but didn't Microsoft introduce the ability to backup digital content to a USB device? Or maybe that was just for save files. Perhaps it's moot when you factor in the DRM.

Normally I'd be right there with you on insisting on having a physical copy of a game. This collection, however, is a different story. It's more or less a reproduction of existing games. I can still dig out my PS2 copies of MGS2 and MGS3, but improvements in this collection make it more appealing than the older versions. When Live support does eventually end for the 360 there will probably be another reissue of MGS2&3 with even more features available for the Xbox 720. At that point will you really want to play the 360 versions anymore?

[quote name='Thrinn']As you've pointed out, whether you have your games on a hard drive or on a retail disc, you're still at risk of losing access to the game one way or another.

Please correct if I'm wrong, but didn't Microsoft introduce the ability to backup digital content to a USB device? Or maybe that was just for save files.

Normally I'd be right there with you on insisting on having a physical copy of a game. This collection, however, is a different story. It's more or less a reproduction of existing games. I can still dig out my PS2 copies of MGS2 and MGS3, but improvements in this collection make it more appealing than the older versions. When Live support does eventually end for the 360 there will probably be another reissue of MGS2&3 with even more features available for the Xbox 720. At that point will you really want to play the 360 versions anymore?[/QUOTE]
You're still missing the whole point. When you purchase digital content most providers state in their TOS that you don't own the game you license them. PSN and XBOX360 could shut down tomorrow and you have no legal action other then hoping class action lawsuits start to help compensate some lost content. As stated above with physical copies you're pretty much 100% in charge of what happens to a physical material with the exception of natural or even man made disasters to hit your area.

Basically if you want a chance to play the game 10-20 years from now as you would a NES/SNES game cartridge (if you don't do emulators) then your going to want physical copies. With digital your dependent on their service. Comparing being able to lose a physical copy to something digital which you have no control over the service is ignorant talk to me.

[quote name='needler420']You're still missing the whole point. When you purchase digital content most providers state in their TOS that you don't own the game you license them. PSN and XBOX360 could shut down tomorrow and you have no legal action other then hoping class action lawsuits start to help compensate some lost content. As stated above with physical copies you're pretty much 100% in charge of what happens to a physical material with the exception of natural or even man made disasters to hit your area.

Basically if you want a chance to play the game 10-20 years from now as you would a NES/SNES game cartridge (if you don't do emulators) then your going to want physical copies. With digital your dependent on their service. Comparing being able to lose a physical copy to something digital which you have no control over the service is ignorant talk to me.[/QUOTE]

You are clearly the one missing the point, since it's already been pointed out that you don't need Live to play the games, just to download the games. If you backup the games and use a simple redundancy plan, you are not dependent on Live (even though you have no reason to suspect Live is shutting down, outside of weird hoarder paranoia).

Your statement about playing in 10-20 years also shows you are in a bit of a fantasy world. There is a good chance you won't even be gaming in 5 years, much less 20. If in 20 years your games are still locked up in your fallout shelter, your kid will have probably sold them when you weren't looking for weed. If by some miracle you are still an active gamer, I would imagine you will be playing Metal Gear Solid 20, not an extremely old Metal gear 2. If by further miracle, you actually have time as a middle aged adult with likely a career and a family, who has burned through all of the current gen games with no backlog... AND you can't find a copy of this game which has been printed millions of times over on the cheap or even buried next to E.T. in a landfill... then congrats, paying the extra $5 for that disc might have paid off.

[quote name='Kazuya']You are clearly the one missing the point, since it's already been pointed out that you don't need Live to play the games, just to download the games. If you backup the games and use a simple redundancy plan, you are not dependent on Live (even though you have no reason to suspect Live is shutting down, outside of weird hoarder paranoia).

Your statement about playing in 10-20 years also shows you are in a bit of a fantasy world. There is a good chance you won't even be gaming in 5 years, much less 20. If in 20 years your games are still locked up in your fallout shelter, your kid will have probably sold them when you weren't looking for weed. If by some miracle you are still an active gamer, I would imagine you will be playing Metal Gear Solid 20, not an extremely old Metal gear 2. If by further miracle, you actually have time as a middle aged adult with likely a career and a family, who has burned through all of the current gen games with no backlog... AND you can't find a copy of this game which has been printed millions of times over on the cheap or even buried next to E.T. in a landfill... then congrats, paying the extra $5 for that disc might have paid off.[/QUOTE]

Did it ever occur to you there are adult members in the community that are still playing video games since a kid. I bet some of them even have their video games growing up. I bet that didn't occur to you though. Your still missing the point you don't own digital content. You can lose it tomorrow and can't do anything.

You're dad stepping on your physical copy is about the stupidest most ignorant comparison i've yet to hear.

Also you can't back up digital content on PS3. It reformats the HDD every time so backing up is impossible with the PS3. All you can do is back up save files to my knowledge unless you start messing with firmware and modding. I'm pretty sure it works the same way with xbox so if that's the case then you can't back up at all. Backing up means having access to the servers to redownload.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='jcp42877']Would 3 be good to play first? I hear it's probably the best of the series.[/QUOTE]
Yes 3 has nothing to do with 2

[quote name='needler420']Did it ever occur to you there are adult members in the community that are still playing video games since a kid. I bet some of them even have their video games growing up. I bet that didn't occur to you though. Your still missing the point you don't own digital content. You can lose it tomorrow and can't do anything.

You're dad stepping on your physical copy is about the stupidest most ignorant comparison i've yet to hear.[/QUOTE]

I own my digital content, and I'm not losing it tomorrow. Step into the real world with me and out of the fantasy world... before your dad steps on another one of your discs. You are not going to play through Metal Gear Solid 20 years from now. You think you will, and it sounds like a good idea, but it's not going to happen.

Where are the mods to quiet those two down? This thread was supposed to be a digital deal not bickering about who owns what...

Anyway, I'll wait for a PS3 deal. There are certain franchises I like playing on the PS3 like MGS & RE.

bread's done
Back