Death Note DVD Sets 1 & 2: less than $10 per set @ DeepDiscount & DVDPlanet

WTK

CAGiversary!
Courtesy of some sort of unadvertised Viz Media sale (also @ DeepDiscount.com but a bit higher price) and the upcoming MSRP reduction (from $69.97 to $24.98).

Will ship in 5-10 business days (which means they are currently not in-stock)

And we have our answer. The discounted price for both DP and DD were because of the Labor Day sale. I guess the price went effective way early.

- http://www.dvdplanet.com/promos.cfm?roomID=172
- http://www.deepdiscount.com/labor-day-sale | coupon code: LABOR12

The Labor Day sale expires on September 4th.

EDIT: Death Note DVD Boxsets update | they are discounted once more

EDIT 2:

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this the entire series?

Edit: Looked it up, guess this is the entire series. Wonder why it is so cheap.

Is DVDPlanet.com a reputable site?

[quote name='antlp89']Is this the entire series?

Edit: Looked it up, guess this is the entire series. Wonder why it is so cheap.

Is DVDPlanet.com a reputable site?[/QUOTE]

Yesh, HIGHLY reputable. I used to use them all the time. Time to time they always have the most insane deals ever on anime, I remember scoring Pokemon volumes 1 through 17 for like 20 dollars total.

Oh wow THANK YOU for that deal!! Never used the site, so glad to see that it's not another Deep Discount. I've missed out on all the deals on these, and this is an AMAZING price!

[quote name='RaidenMGS3']Yesh, HIGHLY reputable. I used to use them all the time. Time to time they always have the most insane deals ever on anime, I remember scoring Pokemon volumes 1 through 17 for like 20 dollars total.[/QUOTE]

Ok thanks for the assurance.

Thanks OP for posting the deal. I looked online and found that if your order is $35+ the shipping is free. Although it was pretty cheap to begin with ($1.99).

I have a hunch dvdplanet priced the wrong Death Note DVDs for the $7.xx price. If you notice all of the titles of the Rightstuff Viz Warner Anime sale are on sale on dvdplanet for just $2-$3 more. Rightstuff has the DeathNote Relight sets on sale for $5......

If you ate questioning getting these, I would jump on it.

Btw, anyone know usually how long something takes to return to stock?

Ehhh..reading the prices below it may not be an error. Nvm then. Still awesome price.

I ordered. I've been holding out for a Blu release but this price is just too good. I'm worried about the back order though, what are the odds our orders are canceled?

Had to order this. I'd love it on Blu-ray, but it's pretty much already at its peak quality here anyway. The only change would be going from 2.0 to 5.0 surround sound, but that alone doesn't really warrant a Blu-ray release.

Great price for a great anime. Thanks.

[quote name='Frahps']Oh wow THANK YOU for that deal!! Never used the site, so glad to see that it's not another Deep Discount. I've missed out on all the deals on these, and this is an AMAZING price![/QUOTE]
FYI DeepDiscount and DVDPlanet are basically sister sites to each other. They are both owned by the same people: Super D.

[quote name='abhinav']I ordered. I've been holding out for a Blu release but this price is just too good. I'm worried about the back order though, what are the odds our orders are canceled?[/QUOTE]

If you ordered when it's backordered, it'll be a pretty high chance your order will get canceled. If you got in on the deal early, there's a better chance it won't be canceled, but still a slight chance. It's kind of hit and miss with a lot of the items they have on sale on their sites. Sometimes it goes through, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes they claim what they had listed was incorrect, and then cancel your order, deactivate the item, then re-list it under a different product number in their system at the right price. I've gotten plenty of deals in the past from both these sites, but I've had just as many orders canceled as well. The only problem with these companies is that they hold onto your order for a very long time as well if there is an issue, and refunds generally take awhile for them to actually issue one back to you, so if you don't have much patience it may not be worth your time.

[quote name='WTK']FYI DeepDiscount and DVDPlanet are basically sister sites to each other. They are both owned by the same people: Super D.[/QUOTE]

The strange thing is, when you look up reviews for DVDPlanet, they are actually... good. Unlike DeepDiscount's.

[quote name='Squarehard']If you ordered when it's backordered, it'll be a pretty high chance your order will get canceled. If you got in on the deal early, there's a better chance it won't be canceled, but still a slight chance. It's kind of hit and miss with a lot of the items they have on sale on their sites. Sometimes it goes through, sometimes it doesn't. [/QUOTE]

So I guess it's best to bug them in a few days time, to make sure they are working on it? When I had issues with my one and only DeepDiscount order, this was how I got it.

[quote name='Sway']Hmmm, can anyone chime in if the OVAs are necessary or recommended? They recap the two arcs of the series with additional scenes to fill in plot holes.

Death Note: Re-Light, Vol. 1 - Visions of a God [2 Discs] $5.45
Death Note: Relight 2 - L's Successors $5.40

*Edit Just noticed they're $5.00 each over at the RightStuf VIZ Media & Warner Anime sale but I'm not gonna make a separate purchase.[/QUOTE]

Based on what I know of them absolutely not their just recaps basically which are always a waste of time and money.

Thanks for the heads up I ordered both hopefully they get shipped. I had a credit card on file with them that expired in 2005, I guess I haven't bought from them in awhile.

[quote name='Retro Legends']They are now showing out of stock. Really wanted to grab these.[/QUOTE]

its shown out of stock since this was posted. People are still ordering.

Am I the only one not too worried about the item being out of stock? While the site itself can be questionable, Death Note recently received an MSRP drop, meaning that it's still in print. If the item is still in print, that should mean that everyone should get a copy eventually.

[quote name='HunteR7411']Ordered but I doubt it will ship since its OOS. :([/QUOTE]

It said out of stock when I ordered but the invoice I received today said instock on the order details and I was charged.

Well just placed my order.... see how this plays out. I'll be ecstatic if they get them in stock, I haven't seen this show in years and can barely remember it.

This is an insanely good deal. I got the first set at Wal Mart years ago for $30 and the 2nd for $25 at Best Buy when they had the 50% off clearance a few years back. This site is pretty weird, (you click the anime genre and it's empty, but if you search "anime" in the search bar you get a ton of results) but it seems to work. A lot of good anime DVD deals, but not so much for Blu Ray deals.

[quote name='Rogueleader17']It said out of stock when I ordered but the invoice I received today said instock on the order details and I was charged.[/QUOTE]

Mine says that too, but I'm pretty sure it's just some sort of typo.

They did ship all of the stuff I ordered from the last crazy sale except for one so here's to hoping. This site looks very similar to Deep Discount.

[quote name='TidalDreams']They did ship all of the stuff I ordered from the last crazy sale except for one so here's to hoping. This site looks very similar to Deep Discount.[/QUOTE]

Both sites are run by the same company.

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']Anyone get any confirmation yet?[/QUOTE]

Nope but they seem to be keeping a persistent hold on the charge to my CC though.

I placed my order for both sets. Trust me, this series is incredible. When it was on Adult Swim back in 2008 I was hooked on this series.

This is a well worth purchase!!

I went ahead to email them about the status. Might as well, just to see if there is an update.

EDIT: Already got a pretty basic response:

"Thank you for writing DVDPlanet!
We're sorry to inform you that the items are temporarily out of stock and unavailable to ship. The items will ship as soon as they become available. We apologize for the inconvenience and remind you that your credit card will not be charged until your order has shipped.
Please contact us if you have any further questions."

Well, that tells me absolute NOTHING! I guess they have no real idea when items come back in stock. I asked them if there was any update with receiving the shipment for it in, so I guess they just like repeating things we already know? So now it's just a waiting game... I'll probably still bug them again next week, at the end of the 10 days that they said it would ship in.

[quote name='Frahps']I went ahead to email them about the status. Might as well, just to see if there is an update.

EDIT: Already got a pretty basic response:

"Thank you for writing DVDPlanet!
We're sorry to inform you that the items are temporarily out of stock and unavailable to ship. The items will ship as soon as they become available. We apologize for the inconvenience and remind you that your credit card will not be charged until your order has shipped.
Please contact us if you have any further questions."

Well, that tells me absolute NOTHING! I guess they have no real idea when items come back in stock. I asked them if there was any update with receiving the shipment for it in, so I guess they just like repeating things we already know? So now it's just a waiting game... I'll probably still bug them again next week, at the end of the 10 days that they said it would ship in.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the update.

For what it's worth, I had the same type of response a number of years back when they had GITS S1 & S2 on B1G1 and they eventually did ship out both sets. It did take a couple of months for it to happen, though it eventually did happen.

[quote name='shrike4242']For what it's worth, I had the same type of response a number of years back when they had GITS S1 & S2 on B1G1 and they eventually did ship out both sets. It did take a couple of months for it to happen, though it eventually did happen.[/QUOTE]

Did you email them several times, or just the once and waited? With my one and only experience with DeepDiscount, I find that emailing does help. I ordered an anime that turned out to be out of stock (surprise, surprise) and didn't hear anything for weeks. When I finally emailed them, it ended up shipping about a day later.

That's why I believe it's best to keep bugging them, to speed up the service a bit.

Well I just got an email from them saying it is a pre-order, and on their site for the item it says street date is 9/18/12. Not sure why it says that when the DVDs have been out for a long time, but maybe that's a hint as to when we will see them ship out.

[quote name='Frahps']Did you email them several times, or just the once and waited? With my one and only experience with DeepDiscount, I find that emailing does help. I ordered an anime that turned out to be out of stock (surprise, surprise) and didn't hear anything for weeks. When I finally emailed them, it ended up shipping about a day later.

That's why I believe it's best to keep bugging them, to speed up the service a bit.[/QUOTE]I just emailed them the one time, they gave me a timeframe, I waited it out and all was good.

If I don't see anything from them in about a week or so, I'll email them for an update.

[quote name='RaidenMGS3']18 September? I certainly wouldn't have ordered if I'd known it'd be THAT long....[/QUOTE]

Patience isn't worth the super cheap price? It sure is to me. I can definitely wait for it if I'm only paying around $17 for BOTH. I don't need to watch them this instant.

[quote name='Frahps']Patience isn't worth the super cheap price? It sure is to me. I can definitely wait for it if I'm only paying around $17 for BOTH. I don't need to watch them this instant.[/QUOTE]

I do! I'm grinding out Gears 3 and am getting sick and tired of watching the same DVDs over and over again, these would have easily made the next week fun instead of pure hell. I mean bloody hell, I've watched Dexter season one THREE times already the past month!

[quote name='RaidenMGS3']I do! I'm grinding out Gears 3 and am getting sick and tired of watching the same DVDs over and over again, these would have easily made the next week fun instead of pure hell. I mean bloody hell, I've watched Dexter season one THREE times already the past month![/QUOTE]

lmao. That's bad. Good show but I couldn't watch one season 3 times in a month.

But im willing to wait on this too as long as I get it before Xmas lol.

[quote name='RaidenMGS3']I do! I'm grinding out Gears 3 and am getting sick and tired of watching the same DVDs over and over again, these would have easily made the next week fun instead of pure hell. I mean bloody hell, I've watched Dexter season one THREE times already the past month![/QUOTE]

www.crunchyroll.com

Enjoy.

bread's done
Back