Is this paranoid?

Paco

CAGiversary!
Watching netflix on the PS3, and it crashes. Hard crashes. Can't access XMB, can't shut it off through controller and pressing the power button doesn't shut it down either. Holding it down also does nothing. I shut off the surge protector and wait a minute then turn it back on. test the PS3 and it seems to be working fine.

Is Netflix famous for crashing or is this a one time thing or is my PS3 going down the path of ruin? Warranty on the unit is gone and I'm just wondering if I'm paranoid on the unit breaking. I already had my fat PS3 break on me. It's just weird because I never seen Netflix freeze on me like that where I couldn't exit.

I've not had it crash like that during netflix (although I generally use a roku for that now) but I've had it happen during Skyrim at least a few times. I wouldn't worry about it just yet. When my fat ps3 died I had a good idea it was coming for at least a few weeks (crashing/freezing constantly).

My PS3 and I go through bouts like this every 2 weeks or so. The latest last night when I tried to watch Hulu Plus and my PS3 started Hulu, then decided to freeze, and I was then put into a game of Marvel Pinball.

Other than that, I need to hold my PS3 power button down to hard boot it from freezes every few weeks also. Just seems like mine has a little more "character" than others

I would be thinking the absolute worst if my PS3 was doing that. I just had a hard freeze this morning while playing BF1943. It was my first in about a month or so.

My refurbished slum from Sony has a mind of it's own today. Turn it on and nothing boots or shows up, just a black screen and it's frozen. Had it start up twice but the screen was all pixelated in a way i can't even describe.

So that's for that link IATCG. I know you post it quite often trying to help people out and it's exactly what i came in here looking for.

Now to cross my fingers and hope this works and i don't have to get on the phone with Sony

[quote name='Sito']My PS3 and I go through bouts like this every 2 weeks or so. The latest last night when I tried to watch Hulu Plus and my PS3 started Hulu, then decided to freeze, and I was then put into a game of Marvel Pinball.

Other than that, I need to hold my PS3 power button down to hard boot it from freezes every few weeks also. Just seems like mine has a little more "character" than others[/QUOTE]

Yea same here, except it usually happens when I start the game by selecting it on the XMB. The screen goes black & I would have to hold down the power button to reset and have the system "scan" my HD for corrupted data -_-.

Never had a problem with Netflix though, or any other app. Maybe I'm just lucky :)

[quote name='Paco']Hard drive is only a week old. I just put in a new 1tb hard drive in there so I don't think anything is corrupted. I'll still give that a try as I did that every six months on my old system when deleting a ton of stuff.[/QUOTE]

I don't know if Sony fixed it, but having a hard drive bigger than 500gb and doing the repair/recovery listed above would automatically corrupt your hard drive.

[quote name='shadowkast']My refurbished slum from Sony has a mind of it's own today. Turn it on and nothing boots or shows up, just a black screen and it's frozen. Had it start up twice but the screen was all pixelated in a way i can't even describe.

So that's for that link IATCG. I know you post it quite often trying to help people out and it's exactly what i came in here looking for.

Now to cross my fingers and hope this works and i don't have to get on the phone with Sony[/QUOTE]

System's fried. Screen gets pixelated during any of the options i try to do even in safe mode. It was still on the 90 day warranty which is good...but still, c'mon Sony, this will be my forth ps3

[quote name='Mad39er']If it's a phat PS3 then you're on your way to YLOD. At least that has been my experience.[/QUOTE]

It's a slim PS3. My fat died in December 2010 I believe. Sad because it was such a great heater.

[quote name='Paco']It's a slim PS3. My fat died in December 2010 I believe. Sad because it was such a great heater.[/QUOTE]
Yeah. My 40gb would always make my room at least 3-5* warmer in the winter. It was nice.;) Although the slims don't do that bad in their own right.:whistle2:#

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Yeah. My 40gb would always make my room at least 3-5* warmer in the winter. It was nice.;) Although the slims don't do that bad in their own right.:whistle2:#[/QUOTE]

your slim must have been a bitch then. My slim was like 6-10 degrees warmer in the winter. It was a near launch model 60 gig and that thing just blew heat. I believe Sony sent those to Canada when they gave us the 40 geebeez because Canada needs the heat eh?

[quote name='Paco']your slim must have been a bitch then. My slim was like 6-10 degrees warmer in the winter. It was a near launch model 60 gig and that thing just blew heat. I believe Sony sent those to Canada when they gave us the 40 geebeez because Canada needs the heat eh?[/QUOTE]
I really wish Sony would've come out with a newer model with an EXTERNAL power supply cuz that's the main reason behind all the damn heat besides the HDD imo.

I think if they did that, the thing would run a bit cooler at least.

Haven't had any problems with Netflix. But bf3 was the worst for freezing; easily freeze 5 times in a 2 hours MP span.. My ps3 doesn't freeze on anything but that game.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Mine froze like crazy on Dead Island and every so often on GTA IV or Episodes.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I had several hard locks playing Dead Island Co-op with a friend, as did he, but I experienced way more. He has a slim and I'm still on my first fat, no problems with it and it's almost 4yrs old now, guess I'm lucky.

Anyway, Dead Island is buggy as all hell anyway so that's a bad judge imo. Huge issues with that game but I still loved it. Connection issues for co-op were atrocious!! :wall:

As far as GTA or Episodes I wouldn't know, last GTA for me was San Andreas, just more of the same imo and I got bored with them.

bread's done
Back