Gamestop: "Vintage Game Business"

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#61 HumanSnatcher

HumanSnatcher

Disappear here...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:06 AM

I'm with you guys here that this is a bad idea and will screw people over.

Luckily there is a local place that sells vintage gaming stuff along with current gen and makes a killing. Place is called Video Game Heaven. It started out as a booth at a flea market here that earned the woman shit loads of money. I know because i graduated with her spoiled asshole son. She paid for a 400-500k house pretty much in cash with the money that she made from that one location and a then new standalone. The flea market burned down a few years ago and she expanded the standalone store. You name it, they literally have it. I believe they do their own repairs on systems. Of course they sell the knock off NES/SNES/Genesis combos along with the original systems. Funny thing is is that her son is a total asshole and shes a really nice lady

Heres their FB page as their normal page looks like a thro back to 1999. Seriously take a look and drool at what they get in lol

http://www.facebook....VideoGameHeaven

When I was in High School a friend got a 100% on a D.A.R.E. test and they gave him a D.A.R.E. duffel bag. Two years later, a drug dealer that was a friend of ours at the time asked to borrow something to transport 2kg of cocaine in and he handed over his D.A.R.E. bag. He brought it back to him with an oz of weed in it as a thank you.

#62 anotherpoorgamer

anotherpoorgamer

Bird's Nest Hair

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:48 PM

^Well if Gamestop does venture into the vintage game business and opens up shop nearby that store. Then you'll get your bitter sweet reward/revenge as competition will probably eat up most of their sales.

Oh and if Gamestop is watching this thread...
I refuse to pay $38 for a used cartridge only copy of Super Metroid!*

At this point, I'd like to see reproduction cartridges with newer technology. Instead of an actual battery for saves, maybe flash memory for game saves.

I know I'll never own an original copy of Earthbound. Yeah, $190 is out of my price range.*

I won't mind being able to walk into a Gamestop to find a reproduction of Earthbound with reproductions of the color manual/box.

Just want to experience the game on a Super Nintendo and at a more reasonable price.

Maybe even region exclusives that had English as an option. Terranigma comes to mind.

*I used Amazon's prices for these games.

Edited by anotherpoorgamer, 12 September 2012 - 03:00 PM.

#63 highoffcoffee496

highoffcoffee496

I gotta believe!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2012 - 03:33 PM

I'm with you guys here that this is a bad idea and will screw people over.

Luckily there is a local place that sells vintage gaming stuff along with current gen and makes a killing. Place is called Video Game Heaven. It started out as a booth at a flea market here that earned the woman shit loads of money. I know because i graduated with her spoiled asshole son. She paid for a 400-500k house pretty much in cash with the money that she made from that one location and a then new standalone. The flea market burned down a few years ago and she expanded the standalone store. You name it, they literally have it. I believe they do their own repairs on systems. Of course they sell the knock off NES/SNES/Genesis combos along with the original systems. Funny thing is is that her son is a total asshole and shes a really nice lady

Heres their FB page as their normal page looks like a thro back to 1999. Seriously take a look and drool at what they get in lol

http://www.facebook....VideoGameHeaven

i'm so jealous :cry:

#64 Richard Kain

Richard Kain

Posted 12 September 2012 - 03:37 PM

At this point, I'd like to see reproduction cartridges with newer technology. Instead of an actual battery for saves, maybe flash memory for game saves.

Awww man, that really would be a retro-gamer's dream come true. They could release a redesigned, minimalist system, and then re-release a new, smaller cartridge format to go with it that could store whatever games they could license for it. Sell those retro titles for $10-$20 each.

But I seriously doubt this would happen, despite the fact that it would give the traditional retail space a way to make money in an increasingly digital marketplace.

#65 HumanSnatcher

HumanSnatcher

Disappear here...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:10 PM

^Well if Gamestop does venture into the vintage game business and opens up shop nearby that store. Then you'll get your bitter sweet reward/revenge as competition will probably eat up most of their sales.

Oh and if Gamestop is watching this thread...
I refuse to pay $38 for a used cartridge only copy of Super Metroid!*

I know I'll never own an original copy of Earthbound. Yeah, $190 is out of my price range.*

I won't mind being able to walk into a Gamestop to find a reproduction of Earthbound with reproductions of the color manual/box.

Just want to experience the game on a Super Nintendo and at a more reasonable price.

Maybe even region exclusives that had English as an option. Terranigma comes to mind.

*I used Amazon's prices for these games.

Oh I have nothing against here. Last I remember she cut her son off because he was a douchebag (not taking care of your own kid and expecting mommy to pay or everything kinda helps that lol) But the stores been around for at least 13-14 years, so the store was around when Funcoland was around

When I was in High School a friend got a 100% on a D.A.R.E. test and they gave him a D.A.R.E. duffel bag. Two years later, a drug dealer that was a friend of ours at the time asked to borrow something to transport 2kg of cocaine in and he handed over his D.A.R.E. bag. He brought it back to him with an oz of weed in it as a thank you.

#66 Halo05

Halo05

Posted 13 September 2012 - 12:08 AM

i'm so jealous :cry:

I really wish I lived close to there. I'd give them tons of business. The prices they're quoting are reasonable especially if the stuff is in good condition.

As many of you know, black ops 2 is plaid with bugs, lag etc which many people have been suffering including me.

plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid

#67 anotherpoorgamer

anotherpoorgamer

Bird's Nest Hair

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 September 2012 - 12:21 AM

Awww man, that really would be a retro-gamer's dream come true. They could release a redesigned, minimalist system, and then re-release a new, smaller cartridge format to go with it that could store whatever games they could license for it. Sell those retro titles for $10-$20 each.

But I seriously doubt this would happen, despite the fact that it would give the traditional retail space a way to make money in an increasingly digital marketplace.

Not a bad idea at all, I was leaning more towards cartridges that would fit in my current SNES. An actual hardware and cartridge revision that was available at a low price would also be nice.

Basically, I'll take a video game console clone that was compatible with old school cartridges/controllers and accepted a proprietor cartridge/controllers for some cheap/functional reproductions.

Reminds me of this thread: http://www.cheapassg...t=321076&page=5

I so would buy an SNES at Gamestop if it was like the ones in this added link. I'd need it to look/work nicely on current LCD monitors/HDTVs. Never got to play the Super Scope games.

#68 HumanSnatcher

HumanSnatcher

Disappear here...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 September 2012 - 02:43 AM

I really wish I lived close to there. I'd give them tons of business. The prices they're quoting are reasonable especially if the stuff is in good condition.

They sell stuff on ebay as well...no idea what they're seller id is tho. I'm sure if you posted on there and inquired they'd be willing to help you out.

Honestly, thats where I got my first 360. It was the only place I'd seen with any in stock when they came out. Of course being mom and pop you had to buy 3 games, but it was worth it