Bandai Entertainment will stop shipping anime to retailers in November

• Please log in to reply
880 replies to this topic

#31 Rogueleader17

Rogueleader17

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 September 2012 - 06:49 AM

Crap All I really want is gundam seed and seed destiny, Haruhi season 2 and the moive. Im on the fence about Lucky star and star driver as I haven't watched them yet.

tachikoma_02.gif"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes."

#32 JoePianist

JoePianist

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 September 2012 - 07:02 AM

Crap All I really want is gundam seed and seed destiny, Haruhi season 2 and the moive. Im on the fence about Lucky star and star driver as I haven't watched them yet.

Although the visuals are stunning, I just couldn't get into "Star Driver" after watching the first 13 episodes. Which is disappointing, because I really REALLY wanted to enjoy the series.

"Lucky Star" is one of my favorites---especially recommended if you enjoy "comic strip"-paced humor (Peanuts, Garfield, Calvin and Hobbes, etc), with otaku-related subjects.

#33 Zaku77

Zaku77

Posted 01 September 2012 - 07:24 AM

This is quite shit news. To be fair, though, Bandai has a lot of classics. Like, A LOT of classics. There is no way these are going to just slip into obscurity. We can probably expect to see Funi sets of a lot of these within the next 1-2 years. They will also be much cheaper because Bandai prices have always been shit. There could be a big ol' silver lining to this.

Check out my YouTube channel for collection updates, games industry discussion, and game analysis!
http://www.youtube.c...77?feature=mhee Twitter: https://twitter.com/Helldestroyer77

My Collection: https://docs.google....hvRG9LMlE#gid=0

My Blog for more in depth looks at video games (and even anime!): http://helldestroyer77.blogspot.com/

#34 uncle5555

uncle5555

Grumpy Veteran CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 September 2012 - 07:37 AM

And yes, the prices for all these will without a doubt skyrocket until someone else re-releases these titles. Until then, decide what's worth getting, and wait for whatever you aren't too interested in. 8-)

Yeah Anime and classic 80's animation stuff that goes OOP gets speculated pretty hard (Transformers the move and the GI Joe sets were insanely high until Shout Factory re-released them) and just look at the ADV catalog, Sailor Moon and Gatchaman (I believe) are still stupidly priced for complete runs. As is a majority of the stuff Viz licensed back in the day as well.

Yeah buying anime has always been a touchy thing to me, I own quite a few shows and have a dedicated cd binder for it (that's full) but the prices are way insane for collecting everything you want, then if something goes OOP, well your fucked, simple as that. No wonder profits are down and all these companies closing operations especially with piracy being so rampant with anime...anyway.

I'm glad to hear Funimation grabbing Akira, if they do a Blu-ray, they better include the Streamline dub, if so I'll pick it up, I can't literally stand the awful Pioneer dub, it makes my ears bleed. (I own the vhs, the pioneer release, then sought out the Manga region 2 LQ full screen streamline DVD, then finally got Madman ent.'s superb Region 4 release with widescreen and streamline dub, but would like a BR release like that as well. Awesome film, a classic.
The CAG motto: "Maybe you'll luck out and get the game during a sale before it sells out, maybe not, that's the life of a CAG. Luck of the draw. And timing is everything."

#35 JaytheGamefan

JaytheGamefan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 September 2012 - 12:29 PM

Welp, looks like it's time to finally buy S2 of Haruhi Suzumiya before it somehow goes higher than $40.

#36 Panda Wizardry

Panda Wizardry

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 September 2012 - 02:50 PM

I'm glad I picked up some of the bandai blus before this announcement. I was thinking about picking up hayate the combat butler, but I see that people want 500+ for the last part on amazon. Screw that.

Please check out my channel: Alan Bytes Back!

MyAnimeList

#37 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 September 2012 - 03:37 PM

I'm glad I picked up some of the bandai blus before this announcement. I was thinking about picking up hayate the combat butler, but I see that people want 500+ for the last part on amazon. Screw that.

Damn thing was only available for like pre-order. I checked a week after release and it was already sold out. So now I'm sitting on 1-7 like a douche.

elessar123.png

#38 Sk

Sk

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 September 2012 - 06:04 PM

This is no surprise to me anime has been a dead media for some time now.

#39 Dark_Sage

Dark_Sage

Posted 01 September 2012 - 06:33 PM

Cool story, bro.

#40 Fire2box

Fire2box

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 September 2012 - 06:43 PM

thankfully cowboy bebop is the only one I care about. Haven't watched Akira I hear it's good and it's surely better then Chronicle was from all I know about it.

I guess i'm just waiting for the American version of it and Old Boy as well.
Waddles From Gravity Falls is best pony!

#41 Zaku77

Zaku77

Posted 01 September 2012 - 07:05 PM

thankfully cowboy bebop is the only one I care about. Haven't watched Akira I hear it's good and it's surely better then Chronicle was from all I know about it.

I guess i'm just waiting for the American version of it and Old Boy as well.

I dunno if you're familiar with it, but Ghost In The Shell is easily one of the best anime I've ever seen, and a monolith of cyberpunk!

Check out my YouTube channel for collection updates, games industry discussion, and game analysis!
http://www.youtube.c...77?feature=mhee Twitter: https://twitter.com/Helldestroyer77

My Blog for more in depth looks at video games (and even anime!): http://helldestroyer77.blogspot.com/

#42 Sk

Sk

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 September 2012 - 07:12 PM

Cool story, bro.

Thanks!

#43 arcane93

arcane93

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 September 2012 - 10:09 PM

I'm glad to hear Funimation grabbing Akira, if they do a Blu-ray, they better include the Streamline dub, if so I'll pick it up, I can't literally stand the awful Pioneer dub, it makes my ears bleed.

Why watch the dub anyway? Ugh. I will say this for the Bandai blu-ray -- the sound on the Japanese language track is one of the most impressive and striking audio tracks that I've heard on blu-ray. If you have a reasonably decent surround sound system, it's well worth grabbing it (while you still can) for the audio upgrade alone. Hopefully they'll keep the same Japanese audio track on the Funimation version, but there's no guarantee.

#44 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 September 2012 - 10:42 PM

I'm going to go paint on my anime.

elessar123.png

#45 ssjChris

ssjChris

OH MY GOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2012 - 02:44 AM

My check was delayed for the first time ever at my job (due to the hurricane). I think I might just grab all of Eureka Seven on DVD once they decide to pay me. Is the movie worth it as well?

#46 argyle

argyle

Posted 02 September 2012 - 03:14 AM

Dunno if I should thank you or curse you OP. :-P Just bought Gurren Lagann - I had watched about a third of that on Netflix a while back & really enjoyed it, and have been wanting to watch the rest.
Posted Image

#47 Rogueleader17

Rogueleader17

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2012 - 04:08 AM

Well Just grabbed $250 worth of anime and now Im pretty set. I bet bandai's sales go off the chart the next couple months. It would be hilarious if they decided to change their mind about stopping.

tachikoma_02.gif"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes."

#48 ZeroFlame15

ZeroFlame15

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2012 - 04:16 AM

Well heres hoping I can get some anime titles like G Gundam, Code Geass, Gundam Wing, and Eureka Seven before they go to OOP status.

#49 jedimario

jedimario

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2012 - 05:09 AM

So is there a list of recommendations for anime from Bandai that I should try and get?

#50 Rogueleader17

Rogueleader17

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2012 - 05:32 AM

So is there a list of recommendations for anime from Bandai that I should try and get?

• Cowboy Bebop
  • Code Geass
  • Eureka Seven
  • Gurren Lagann
  • Haruhi Suzumiya
  • .hack (Sign or Roots are the best)
  • If you like Gundam (Gundam 00 and Wing are my Favs)
  • Outlaw Star
  • Big O

#51 Zaku77

Zaku77

Posted 02 September 2012 - 05:41 AM

• Cowboy Bebop
  • Code Geass
  • Eureka Seven
  • Gurren Lagann
  • Haruhi Suzumiya
  • .hack (Sign or Roots are the best)
  • If you like Gundam (Gundam 00 and Wing are my Favs)
  • Outlaw Star
  • Big O

That's a nice list and all, but Ghost In The Shell needs to be snuggled in the number one spot sitting on Cowboy Bebop's lap. ;) (Your avatar is the Laughing Man, for God's sake!!! lol)

I'm also a big fan of Outlaw Star. Gundam is, well, a lot. It's an amazing series, and I own all of it, but it's hard to recommend any of it if you haven't seen any of it. There's multiple continuities. Many of the series are wildly different from each other in both style and tone. I would say start with 08th MS team or 0083. If you're going to get into Gundam, it should really be in the main continuity (Universal Century), and both of those are. Those are both on the shorter side, and are absolutely fantastic.

#52 Kirin Lemon

Kirin Lemon

世界を革命する者

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2012 - 06:05 AM

Ignore the other list, this one's better. ;)

-Cowboy Bebop
-Wolf's Rain
-Escaflowne
-Eureka Seven
-Big O
-Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
-Code Geass
-The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
-Planetes
-FLAG
-Toward the Terra

And if you can only pick a top three, Bebop, Wolf's Rain, and Escaflowne are so far out of everything else's league that it's crazy. Everyone needs to have those in their collection.
Posted Image

#53 chicagocubsfan

chicagocubsfan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2012 - 06:10 AM

-Cowboy Bebop
-Wolf's Rain
-Escaflowne
-Eureka Seven
-Big O
-Code Geass
-Planetes
-FLAG
-Toward the Terra

And if you can only pick a top three, Bebop, Wolf's Rain, and Escaflowne are so far out of everything else's league that it's crazy. Everyone needs to have those in their collection.

Add G Gundam to that list, and it's awesome.

Playing:
:3ds: Pokemon X  :whee: 
:psp:- Killzone Mercenary
:wii:-Wind Waker HD  8-)
:ps3:- Kingdom Hearts 1.5 Remix, rain   ;)
PSN is chicagocubsfan

#54 Zaku77

Zaku77

Posted 02 September 2012 - 06:11 AM

I find it interesting that you would like Escaflowne that much. I know you to be an absolute fuss pot. I've seen Escaflowne twice on TV, and once on my DVDs, and I found it utterly underwhelming every time. To me, it never really evolved out of a high school fantasy love story. There wasn't enough action (No, not everything has to be full of action, but this could really have used some more.) and Hitome is a terrible lead character. Let alone that you would hold it above GitS or some of the better Gundam series. You elitists, never can get you figured out! lol

#55 NuclearPorkchop

NuclearPorkchop

Herc Mondo's Cousin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2012 - 06:33 AM

I'm glad to hear Funimation grabbing Akira, if they do a Blu-ray, they better include the Streamline dub, if so I'll pick it up, I can't literally stand the awful Pioneer dub, it makes my ears bleed. (I own the vhs, the pioneer release, then sought out the Manga region 2 LQ full screen streamline DVD, then finally got Madman ent.'s superb Region 4 release with widescreen and streamline dub, but would like a BR release like that as well. Awesome film, a classic.

Completely agree about the Pioneer dub...sweet christ whoever managed that production should be shot in both kneecaps. Give me Cam Clarke's Kaneda any day of the week over that pile of garbage. Watched it with the Japanese lang. track after a friend picked up the dvd, was better than the new dub...but just didn't feel right. The Streamline dub is how I originally watched it, that's how I'll always want to watch it.

I don't have a region free dvd player, otherwise I would've picked up the Madman R4 release, since I've avoided all the other disc releases to date.

Actually that's not entirely true...I found a mint LASERDISC copy of the film with the Streamline dub @ a local used music/movie store for something like 6-8 bucks a few years back 8-). The rip I have archived on my computer originally came from a laserdisc rip as well (not my own). Funny though...since I don't own a laserdisc player either.....eh, oh well.

Only thing from the lists I'm seeing people post that I need to get seems to be Cowboy Bebop, to replace my old bootleg discs. Glad I checked the DVD forum, thanks OP.

Currently Playing:
:ps3: MGS Peace Walker HD

:360: n/a
:pc: Hearthstone, Sam & Max S1E04; Spec Ops The Line

Add me on Steam, we'll play games and stuff:

#56 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2012 - 06:50 AM

I find it interesting that you would like Escaflowne that much. I know you to be an absolute fuss pot. I've seen Escaflowne twice on TV, and once on my DVDs, and I found it utterly underwhelming every time. To me, it never really evolved out of a high school fantasy love story. There wasn't enough action (No, not everything has to be full of action, but this could really have used some more.) and Hitome is a terrible lead character. Let alone that you would hold it above GitS or some of the better Gundam series. You elitists, never can get you figured out! lol

Same. Never liked Escaflowne. Maybe because I watched that horrible movie first, which left a bad taste in my mouth. Was the same with X.

I picked up Gundam 00 S2, which is the only thing I'm sure I will kick myself over for not having, out of the stuff I'm missing.

Is Lucky Star licensed by someone else other than Bandai? No one mentioned it, so maybe I'm out of the loop about it.

Of what I don't have, I'm still considering Kannagi, Saber Marionette J, Eureka Seven movie, Haruhi S2+movie, and Gundam Wing.

elessar123.png

#57 zulux21

zulux21

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2012 - 07:14 AM

Heh while I have both Wolf's Rain and Escaflowne in my collection personally if you had me at gun point and I could only have 3 it would be Bebop, Code Geass and Ghost in the shell. Gurren would be up there fighting as well. As would The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. but to each their own.

that being said I need to finish picking up Code Geass... I am missing 2 of the season two sets... I have LE of every other set :/ I might just have to buy the complete season 2 set anyways though as it's cheaper than even the regular versions of the two sets I am missing.

My funds are tight now though so I guess I gotta hope that when amazon or right stuf clearances out their bandai stuff I can be around to pick it up for cheap.

#58 Kirin Lemon

Kirin Lemon

世界を革命する者

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2012 - 08:08 AM

My funds are tight now though so I guess I gotta hope that when amazon or right stuf clearances out their bandai stuff I can be around to pick it up for cheap.

With everything going out of production, I'd expect those prices to go *up*, if anything. Those old single-volume releases that got sold off so cheap happened because they were overproduced. The industry is much more careful now, and we're already seeing some pretty big price-increases on the stuff that's been disappearing.

Of what I don't have, I'm still considering... Saber Marionette J...

Yikes, out of everything you just mentioned, I'd definite suggest rethinking this one in particular. The first couple episodes are harmless enough, but after that? Ye gods.

I'm honestly shocked to see a couple people so down on Escaflowne. The show holds up so much better than almost everything else from the 90's, and the pacing is just flawless - few shows have done it better. It's not my favorite anime, by any means, (nothing's ever going to come close to Utena, heh), but it's still really, really good. Probably the best fantasy anime I can think of, honestly. I'll grant you that the movie sucks, in comparison, though.
Posted Image

#59 Rogueleader17

Rogueleader17

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2012 - 08:25 AM

That's a nice list and all, but Ghost In The Shell needs to be snuggled in the number one spot sitting on Cowboy Bebop's lap. ;) (Your avatar is the Laughing Man, for God's sake!!! lol)

I'm also a big fan of Outlaw Star. Gundam is, well, a lot. It's an amazing series, and I own all of it, but it's hard to recommend any of it if you haven't seen any of it. There's multiple continuities. Many of the series are wildly different from each other in both style and tone. I would say start with 08th MS team or 0083. If you're going to get into Gundam, it should really be in the main continuity (Universal Century), and both of those are. Those are both on the shorter side, and are absolutely fantastic.

Ghost in the shell isn't being affected by what I've heard. Thats the only reason Its not on there.

#60 Rogueleader17

Rogueleader17

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2012 - 08:34 AM

-Cowboy Bebop
-Wolf's Rain
-Escaflowne
-Eureka Seven
-Big O
-Code Geass
-Planetes
-FLAG
-Toward the Terra

Some good choices but Big O had the biggest POS Ending I've ever seen, I would at least swap it with Code Geass. Never watched the escaflowne series because I hated the movie but I wouldn't doubt it was good, and I completely forgot Wolf's Rain (Shame on me). Finally I haven't seen the last 3 and I don't see Gurren lagann anywhere on that list and for that I say shame on you.