Bandai Entertainment will stop shipping anime to retailers in November

• Please log in to reply
880 replies to this topic

#571 kayne2000

kayne2000

All Glory to Tachikoma Paradise

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:28 AM

Amazon had it at $35 for quite a while until a few weeks ago. No idea why they went and bumped it up to $50.

because God forbid OOS anime doesnt skyrocket in price. not to get into the whole flipping argument here but this is one example of why i hate the flipping concept as i am sure people have bought like 10 copies of stuff solely to sell it at a overpriced profit margin. and i think anime fans are taken the most advantage of when it comes to this just because anime will randomly go OoS with no warning at all half of the time. sure not in this case we all know about bandai but thats hardly the rule.

yes i understand capitalism so dont try and explain that to me and yes i am in fully support of capitalism but peoples greed gets to me sometimes.

#572 DNukem170

DNukem170

Dance like you want to win, Gundam!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:17 PM

That's why I usually try to get stuff within a few months of release date, so I don't have to pay those inflated prices.

#573 kayne2000

kayne2000

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 October 2012 - 06:26 PM

That's why I usually try to get stuff within a few months of release date, so I don't have to pay those inflated prices.

yea sadly though that is not always an option cause ya know my plan to have millions of dollars hasnt come to pass just yet

#574 DNukem170

DNukem170

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:45 PM

I barely have enough money to cover all my bills after buying DVDs/Blus. I never pay more than $35 for a release and I am perfectly fine waiting a few months for somebody to sell it for cheap at Amazon. Also never buy the Part 1/2 sets.

#575 Tsukento

Tsukento

King of Pirates

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:16 PM

because God forbid OOS anime doesnt skyrocket in price. not to get into the whole flipping argument here but this is one example of why i hate the flipping concept as i am sure people have bought like 10 copies of stuff solely to sell it at a overpriced profit margin. and i think anime fans are taken the most advantage of when it comes to this just because anime will randomly go OoS with no warning at all half of the time. sure not in this case we all know about bandai but thats hardly the rule.

yes i understand capitalism so dont try and explain that to me and yes i am in fully support of capitalism but peoples greed gets to me sometimes.

Definitely agree with you there. Just a few weeks ago, I was ready to buy Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team...only for it to quickly go OoS. New copies jumped from $23 to $70, while used jumped to $60. RightStuf ended up pulling it (along with some others, like Big O Season 1), while others such as Rob's Anime Corner turned around and slapped a "limited quantity" label and upped the price to $70.

It's horrible for those of us who genuinely wish to own the series' before they become impossible to own.

#576 DNukem170

DNukem170

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:28 PM

The OG 08th MS Team Anime Classics box set (which is much thicker but still had the same discs) is only $27 on Amazon.

#577 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:02 AM

Amazon had it at $35 for quite a while until a few weeks ago. No idea why they went and bumped it up to $50.

I figured as much which is why I was happy with the purchase. Now I'm just nervous about my GITS order shipping because the estimated shipping is in December. :O

#578 kayne2000

kayne2000

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:26 AM

i thought GiTS wasnt an in danger anime??

though i could be wrong seems like it was mentioned previously in this thread

#579 DNukem170

DNukem170

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:10 AM

GitS is probably a danger anime since Bandai is dead and I am pretty sure Manga Entertainment hasn't really done anything in a few years. Not sure what it would mean for re-licensing (same with the first two Eva movies).

#580 kayne2000

kayne2000

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:26 AM

oh i thought funimation grabbed GiTS?

and the new eva movies i thought funimation was doing that?? that and they are still making the last two movies right??

#581 whippleman

whippleman

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:48 AM

and the new eva movies i thought funimation was doing that?? that and they are still making the last two movies right??

Funimation does have the Eva movies, the third one hasn't even aired in Japan yet. ~ EDIT ~ 3.0 comes out November 17 in Japan.

#582 DeathBringer

DeathBringer

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:07 AM

This news is sad. I have to get everything now.

#583 kayne2000

kayne2000

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:18 AM

Funimation does have the Eva movies, the third one hasn't even aired in Japan yet. ~ EDIT ~ 3.0 comes out November 17 in Japan.

sweet good to know. i love evangelion and the blu rays of the first two movies were amongst the best looking blu rays ive seen.

#584 DNukem170

DNukem170

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:53 PM

As far as I know, the only Bandai title FUNi has ever picked up has been Love China, which was so long ago they've released two different sets of it. They may not even be able to get it even if they wanted to due to Manga Entertainment.

I was talking about Death & Rebirth and End of Evangelion.

#585 kayne2000

kayne2000

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:07 PM

ah well death and rebirth are the same thing arent they just death and rebirth is only 30 or 40 minutes of it? i know i bought that accidentally the first time i went to buy end of evangelion not knowing better lol

not that the GiTS bothers me as i am an avid GiTS(well i am a more avid evangelion fan so the old stuff doesnt bother me as i own it) fan and bought it all ages ago but so then who owns it manga or bandai or both?? and i'd like to think GITS is popular enough that funimation my try and grab it. i only wish i didnt have to resort to buying the blu ray of movie number 2 in the UK region

i though funi had bought bandai titles before at least i assumed so as i know theyve bought geneon titles.

#586 doctordoom

doctordoom

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:12 PM

In a recent ANNcast podcast a few people from Production IG (while plugging the "Kick Heart" Kickstarter) hinted pretty heavily at new GitS animated material toward the end of the episode. Take that for what you will about re-releases.

#587 DNukem170

DNukem170

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:05 PM

so then who owns it manga or bandai or both?? and i'd like to think GITS is popular enough that funimation my try and grab it.

Both Manga and Bandai hold licensing rights. Manga has the movies wholesale, but the TV series (and Solid State Society) are co-licensed by Bandai and Manga, which will make things tricky when FUNi tries to pick up the license. This is also why a Platinum version of D&R and End of Eva were never released.

#588 tangytangerine

tangytangerine

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:16 PM

i though funi had bought bandai titles before at least i assumed so as i know theyve bought geneon titles.

The only one I know that they acquired that was originally released by Bandai was Love Hina. Besides that, they don't have the licenses to any of the stuff Bandai has released.

#589 kayne2000

kayne2000

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:23 PM

The only one I know that they acquired that was originally released by Bandai was Love Hina. Besides that, they don't have the licenses to any of the stuff Bandai has released.

hmm odd then well im sure funi is probably looking into the idea now i'd imagine

Both Manga and Bandai hold licensing rights. Manga has the movies wholesale, but the TV series (and Solid State Society) are co-licensed by Bandai and Manga, which will make things tricky when FUNi tries to pick up the license. This is also why a Platinum version of D&R and End of Eva were never released.

ah i see

In a recent ANNcast podcast a few people from Production IG (while plugging the "Kick Heart" Kickstarter) hinted pretty heavily at new GitS animated material toward the end of the episode. Take that for what you will about re-releases.

i would kill a few kittens for a new season of GITS that starts where solid state society left off. i dont meant continue that story arc but rather the character development up to that point especially the tachikomas

#590 ZeroFlame15

ZeroFlame15

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:47 PM

Funi is going to release Akira next year which they announced a couple of months ago.

#591 DNukem170

DNukem170

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:54 AM

Though technically that's a Geneon title. Did they say if the old Streamline dub was going to be on there?

#592 Tsukento

Tsukento

King of Pirates

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 November 2012 - 01:18 AM

The OG 08th MS Team Anime Classics box set (which is much thicker but still had the same discs) is only $27 on Amazon.

Just checked. Both the newer and the original are out of stock and being sold from third party sellers for higher than that price.

#593 DNukem170

DNukem170

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:50 AM

Just checked. Both the newer and the original are out of stock and being sold from third party sellers for higher than that price.

Somebody probably snapped it up.

#594 ssjChris

ssjChris

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:01 AM

For those that are wondering, I posted here a few weeks ago since two of my discs from a new copy of Eureka Seven Complete Collection II were scratched up. Someone from Bandai e-mailed me yesterday for my address. I replied and he e-mailed me an hour later saying my replacement DVDs have been shipped. =D

And now I can put this Bandai thing to rest. In the end I own: Eureka Seven Complete Collection I & II, Cowboy Bebop Remix (AL), Outlaw Star (AL), K-ON! Vol 1-4 Blu (Complete), Haruhi S1 (Box set, with indivdual DVD cases, complete) & S2 (AL) and Gurren Lagann (AL).

The only thing I sort of want at this point is the Haruhi movie on blu since I heard it was good. It jumped up by $10 on Amazon which made wish I grabbed it at $25 (Right Stuf currently has it for $30).

Oh and for the guy that asked about Haruhi S2, I forced myself to watch endless eight. By like the fifth episode I was already losing it and thinking to myself something different might happen and it never did. It's just the exact same scenes sometimes switched around and everyone has different outfits on and sightly different lines in every episode. Just watch the 1st episode and the last one and you will save yourself a few hours. Don't be a moron like me. xD

#595 killa5k7

killa5k7

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 November 2012 - 01:52 PM

Thanks SanjiX, after your 1st post I contacted Bandai support over a couple anime legends cases being all banged up and broken. I did this LOOOOONG ago with no response..come to find out my old ticket number was on file and I received a response today telling them to give address...

On another note, was going to purchase Haruhi season 2 but at those prices with those waste of episodes...not gonna happen. I did jump on the blu/dvd movie combo when Bandai announces this and got it for around 20 bucks.

#596 DNukem170

DNukem170

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:08 PM

Got some more volumes of Wing, G, 08th MS Team, 0083 and 2 of the Zeta Movies as well as s-CRY-ed, Lucky Star, and Jubei-chan. While not as good as J2 (which is freaking amazing) the first season is still good. Also picked up the CPM Slayers releases, Getter Robo Armageddon, and Ghost Stories in the non-Bandai front.

#597 SeanAmI

SeanAmI

No you cannot

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 November 2012 - 01:24 AM

I got contacted by Bandai yesterday about getting some of my discs replaced.

#598 XxFuRy2Xx

XxFuRy2Xx

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 November 2012 - 03:56 PM

Thanks SanjiX, I'll try and pick up Haruhi S2 and just watch one of the endless eight.

#599 ZeroFlame15

ZeroFlame15

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:28 AM

Best Buy had some Bandai stuff today. If Only I had Gundam 00 Season 1 I would have picked up 1 of the three Gundam 00 Season 2 they had.

#600 DNukem170

DNukem170

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:37 AM

Best Buy had some Bandai stuff today. If Only I had Gundam 00 Season 1 I would have picked up 1 of the three Gundam 00 Season 2 they had.

You know, you can get the 3 Season 1 singles combined for cheaper than the Season 1 set.