Photo
- - - - -

Bandai Entertainment will stop shipping anime to retailers in November

• Please log in to reply
880 replies to this topic

#811 Dark_Sage

Dark_Sage

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:58 PM

I'm not quite sure what all the crying is about if people dont like the price just dont buy it.

It might have something to do with them wanting the show, but at a lower price. Don't quote me on that, though.

#812 shawnmelo

shawnmelo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:18 AM

It might have something to do with them wanting the show, but at a lower price. Don't quote me on that, though.

I understand that they want it but its an import and they will have to either wait and hope they release it in america or it might never be released here and buy the $550 set. Me personally I would never buy a $550 bluray but I wont complain about it because I know its their business model so complaining wont change anything.

#813 kayne2000

kayne2000

All Glory to Tachikoma Paradise

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:42 AM

I understand that they want it but its an import and they will have to either wait and hope they release it in america or it might never be released here and buy the $550 set. Me personally I would never buy a $550 bluray but I wont complain about it because I know its their business model so complaining wont change anything.

and when people pirate their TV shows they have 0 right to complain. at 550 dollars only the truly fanatical, the rich, and apparently the Japanese will buy this. everyone else will just pirate if they want to see it. it really is reasons like this that piracy gets justified in the anime world.

#814 shawnmelo

shawnmelo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:55 AM

and when people pirate their TV shows they have 0 right to complain. at 550 dollars only the truly fanatical, the rich, and apparently the Japanese will buy this. everyone else will just pirate if they want to see it. it really is reasons like this that piracy gets justified in the anime world.

that is true I used to just pirate everything I wanted to watch but since I got a steady job I have had a crunchyroll/funimation account. I also have been buying a ton of anime/manga to support the industry. I just hope Magi/Sword Art Online isnt $550 lol I really want those shows but not that bad. I hope they get the durarara/bakemonogatari treatment of at least $150, thats steep but I can afford that easily and will be glad to support those shows. I have purchased Garden of sinners,Bakemonogatari and durarara from them and I love those shows.

#815 DNukem170

DNukem170

Dance like you want to win, Gundam!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:05 AM

Or they could just pay $50 for the old Bandai set...

#816 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:26 AM

There are people that don't feel like paying $50 or even $20 for a show when they can get it for free.

My trade list: http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=42397

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#817 kayne2000

kayne2000

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2013 - 04:38 AM

that is true I used to just pirate everything I wanted to watch but since I got a steady job I have had a crunchyroll/funimation account. I also have been buying a ton of anime/manga to support the industry. I just hope Magi/Sword Art Online isnt $550 lol I really want those shows but not that bad. I hope they get the durarara/bakemonogatari treatment of at least $150, thats steep but I can afford that easily and will be glad to support those shows. I have purchased Garden of sinners,Bakemonogatari and durarara from them and I love those shows.

exactly some people do want to support these shows coming over but it has to be within some kind of reasonable price. but at absurd prices people are going to justify the piracy route with ease.

There are people that don't feel like paying $50 or even $20 for a show when they can get it for free.

yes but you cant do anything about that crowd what you can do something about is the people that will pirate because you realize an inferior product to the pirated version and/or your version isnt an arm and a leg. so just because people will pirate a 20 dollar version isnt really an excuse to release a 550 dollar version. its really not hard to curb piracy....make a superior version the pirated copy....its somewhat amazing over the years how there are better copies on the internet than the paid for disc copies although thanks to blu ray and HD TVs this isnt becoming much of an issue and almost all anime these days contains a japanese audio and english subtitle which if an anime doesnt have is a death sentence for most(not me though).....and make it a reasonable price. that will cut down on the people that are willing to pay for it but dont want to break the bank doing so. while i realize anime prices in america was cheaper compared to Japan you still have to price them to compete with the american market.

Or they could just pay $50 for the old Bandai set...

1. theres not a blu ray one unless i didnt see it? plus this version comes with other stuff yes?
2. thats not really the point im making....

#818 Richard Kain

Richard Kain

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:24 AM

I honestly don't think piracy has anything to do with these pricing strategies. It's more just a matter of cultural perception, or lack there of.

Some Japanese companies have gotten wise to the fact that anime can make some decent money overseas. But they've grown tired of working through middle-men, and want to bring anime to other countries and keep all of the money. However, they haven't twigged to the fact that you can't bring over the exact same product and expect it to sell nearly as well.

In Japan, physical copies of anime have always been considered a high-end product, and usually command very high prices. There are numerous reasons for this, not the least of which would be space. The average Japanese domicile has far less room than what you see in most other countries. Physical space for storage is very much at a premium over there. So accruing massive collections of anything is considered strange.

In other countries, (and the U.S. in particular) lower prices for media are the norm. DVDs in particular have plummeted in price since their introduction. Anime box-sets started off around $120 each, a price that was already much lower than the Japanese equivalent. These days you can get the same quantity of anime for $40 or cheaper. In the U.S. the home-video market exploded along with DVDs. Now having some manner of home theater is considered quite common.

The companies releasing these box-sets are going to discover that they can't hope to sell even a fraction of the volume of normal anime releases. Then they'll either adjust their approach or start licensing to foreign companies again.

NIS has been taking the proper approach to this issue. They release "premium" sets that have the kind of deluxe packaging that Japanese releases are known for, but priced within reasonable limits. (expensive enough to justify the high-grade packaging, but not enough to scare of die-hard fans) Then a few months after the premium editions, they release "budget" versions that are more bare-bones, but considerably more affordable.

#819 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:55 AM

I honestly don't think piracy has anything to do with these pricing strategies. It's more just a matter of cultural perception, or lack there of.

Some Japanese companies have gotten wise to the fact that anime can make some decent money overseas. But they've grown tired of working through middle-men, and want to bring anime to other countries and keep all of the money. However, they haven't twigged to the fact that you can't bring over the exact same product and expect it to sell nearly as well.

In Japan, physical copies of anime have always been considered a high-end product, and usually command very high prices. There are numerous reasons for this, not the least of which would be space. The average Japanese domicile has far less room than what you see in most other countries. Physical space for storage is very much at a premium over there. So accruing massive collections of anything is considered strange.

In other countries, (and the U.S. in particular) lower prices for media are the norm. DVDs in particular have plummeted in price since their introduction. Anime box-sets started off around $120 each, a price that was already much lower than the Japanese equivalent. These days you can get the same quantity of anime for $40 or cheaper. In the U.S. the home-video market exploded along with DVDs. Now having some manner of home theater is considered quite common.

The companies releasing these box-sets are going to discover that they can't hope to sell even a fraction of the volume of normal anime releases. Then they'll either adjust their approach or start licensing to foreign companies again.

NIS has been taking the proper approach to this issue. They release "premium" sets that have the kind of deluxe packaging that Japanese releases are known for, but priced within reasonable limits. (expensive enough to justify the high-grade packaging, but not enough to scare of die-hard fans) Then a few months after the premium editions, they release "budget" versions that are more bare-bones, but considerably more affordable.

Actually Japan doesn't care about the foreign market. They rather force dub only or hard sub then risk reverse import (even if that not really happening).

My trade list: http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=42397

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#820 DNukem170

DNukem170

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:41 AM

1. theres not a blu ray one unless i didnt see it? plus this version comes with other stuff yes?
2. thats not really the point im making....

No, Bandai didn't make a Blu-ray of the series. Oh well. Suck it up and buy the DVD version.

And the big box set includes the two movies, booklets, CD Dramas, and soundtracks. The movies can be bought on DVD for about $25-$30 each, many of the CD dramas were included in the original US release, and the soundtracks can be had for dirt cheap on eBay.

#821 DNukem170

DNukem170

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:52 AM

Actually Japan doesn't care about the foreign market. They rather force dub only or hard sub then risk reverse import (even if that not really happening).

They did back when they were charging $10,000-$20,000 an episode back in the good old days.

#822 Richard Kain

Richard Kain

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:50 PM

Oh yes they do. They just might not have realized it yet. Foreign markets aren't willing to pay the kind of prices that Japanese anime fans endure. But foreign markets are exponentially larger than Japan's internal market for anime. Price your content right overseas, and you can sell an incredible quantity. Balance that out with cheaper packaging and minimal extras for the foreign release, and you've got a formula for huge profits.

Japan just isn't a big enough market to justify this archaic approach to media pricing. Attempting to force this model on other countries isn't going to work, and they will find their foreign sales drop to almost nothing. And as I pointed out, some companies have already realized this, and are already taking competitive measures.

#823 DNukem170

DNukem170

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:28 PM

If they didn't realize it when Bandai Visual USA collapsed on its ass (taking Bandai Entertainment with it), what makes you think they'll listen now?

#824 HakaHina

HakaHina

Glasses God

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:25 PM

I don't remember where I read this before, but I recall that the present anime industry gains profit more on selling merchandise rather than DVD/BD sales. It would explain the rise in figures, drama CDs, artbooks, etc. that weren't as prominent a decade ago. It also explains the rise of popularity of moe series as compared to the more "serious" animations of the 1990s.

Or at least if DVD sales are still the reigning portion of profits, it's certainly shifting its rule to merchandise sales of late.
Posted Image

#825 kayne2000

kayne2000

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:24 PM

i agree. i dont think piracy has to do with the prices but rather the high prices cause more piracy than there would be otherwise. also the fact its a crapshoot as to what anime gets brought over or not. and i agree there always needs to be a budget release version. the american market especially kills for that. people will buy anime but its a hard sale if its TOO much more than your average DVD set

that being said they should be careful not every anime will sell in america as japan has some weird tastes....and of course advertising. it seems anime advertising isnt really around anymore. maybe theres a cable channel or something that does this but i really dont see it and if you want more people to see your product air it on TV and advertise the hell out of it.

Oh yes they do. They just might not have realized it yet. Foreign markets aren't willing to pay the kind of prices that Japanese anime fans endure. But foreign markets are exponentially larger than Japan's internal market for anime. Price your content right overseas, and you can sell an incredible quantity. Balance that out with cheaper packaging and minimal extras for the foreign release, and you've got a formula for huge profits.

Japan just isn't a big enough market to justify this archaic approach to media pricing. Attempting to force this model on other countries isn't going to work, and they will find their foreign sales drop to almost nothing. And as I pointed out, some companies have already realized this, and are already taking competitive measures.

exactly. Japan is not a poster boy for foreign markets and i hate the old if japan doesnt buy it it wont sell elsewhere attitude companies have. you see this with some games as well.

They did back when they were charging $10,000-$20,000 an episode back in the good old days.

thats just beyond insane when was this???

No, Bandai didn't make a Blu-ray of the series. Oh well. Suck it up and buy the DVD version.

And the big box set includes the two movies, booklets, CD Dramas, and soundtracks. The movies can be bought on DVD for about $25-$30 each, many of the CD dramas were included in the original US release, and the soundtracks can be had for dirt cheap on eBay.

again not the point...

If they didn't realize it when Bandai Visual USA collapsed on its ass (taking Bandai Entertainment with it), what makes you think they'll listen now?

bandai has just collapsed so this isnt really an old thing. also funimation at least seems to have caught on to the fact we want box sets of seasons at reasonable prices.

#826 tangytangerine

tangytangerine

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:30 PM

thats just beyond insane when was this???

That was back during the anime boom in the mid-00's. They were mostly charging that much per an episode because they had all these companies(ADV, Funimation, Media Blasters, Geneon, Bandai, etc.) fighting over the licenses.

If you haven't listened to it, listen to animenewsnetwork.com's podcast about Geneon(link below)
http://www.animenews...cast/2009-12-03
It mentions some of the strange business that went on in the U.S. anime industry during the boom.

#827 DNukem170

DNukem170

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:48 AM

bandai has just collapsed so this isnt really an old thing. also funimation at least seems to have caught on to the fact we want box sets of seasons at reasonable prices.

But Bandai Entertainment was doing pretty well until Bandai Visual was created, partially confusing people who couldn't tell the difference and releasing a bunch of anime without dubs with no extras at twice the going price of other anime DVDs. Everything Bandai Visual did backfired miserably and they blamed Bandai Entertainment, which is one reason why they went a year and a half with nothing new besides Gundam SEED Destiny. Bandai Entertainment might have folded anyway, but Bandai Visual did nothing but screw them over horribly.

Oh, and budget versions never come out until well after the original release.

#828 jedimario

jedimario

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:25 PM

That was back during the anime boom in the mid-00's. They were mostly charging that much per an episode because they had all these companies(ADV, Funimation, Media Blasters, Geneon, Bandai, etc.) fighting over the licenses.

If you haven't listened to it, listen to animenewsnetwork.com's podcast about Geneon(link below)
http://www.animenews...cast/2009-12-03
It mentions some of the strange business that went on in the U.S. anime industry during the boom.

Thanks for sharing that link, it was really interesting to learn about that.

#829 SeanAmI

SeanAmI

No you cannot

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:28 PM

Thanks for sharing that link, it was really interesting to learn about that.

They have one with someone from Bandai about its collapse as well.
I would recommend that one as well.

#830 midlifecrisisMkII

midlifecrisisMkII

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:54 PM

They have one with someone from Bandai about its collapse as well.
I would recommend that one as well.

Is this the one? The Last Days of Bandai Entertainment.

#831 SeanAmI

SeanAmI

No you cannot

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2013 - 12:18 AM

Is this the one? The Last Days of Bandai Entertainment.

I believe so. It was an interesting listen.

#832 jedimario

jedimario

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2013 - 01:25 AM

Thanks Sean and midlife! It is neat to just hear the company perspectives on these things I think.

#833 Magiblaze

Magiblaze

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2013 - 01:29 AM

I have no idea why this thread is still at the top of this forum when its been... I dunno wanna say started nearly 8-9 months ago and past Nov already.Just saying lol.

#834 KageAlchemist

KageAlchemist

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2013 - 06:12 AM

I have no idea why this thread is still at the top of this forum when its been... I dunno wanna say started nearly 8-9 months ago and past Nov already.Just saying lol.

There's never anything too interesting at the top of the DVD forums anyways, and besides there are still lots of Bandai titles available that are not quite all sold out. I just finished my Bandai collection of over 40 titles actually.

#835 greenwolfe7

greenwolfe7

I play with dinosaurs!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2013 - 06:49 AM

True I have 39 complete series in counting the only things I have left that I truely want are the ghost in the shell blu-ray(not 2.0) and The Girl Who leapt through time (bluray also).:/ debating if a region free bluray player is worth it as I have a bluray drive but the software will cost just about as much as a player...

Edited by greenwolfe7, 06 April 2013 - 07:08 AM.

#836 kayne2000

kayne2000

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2013 - 06:57 AM

True I have 39 in counting the only things I have left that I truely want are the ghost in the shell blu-ray(not 2.0) and The Girl Who leapt through time (bluray also).:/ debating if a region free bluray player is worth it as I have a bluray drive but the software will cost just about as much as a player...

blu ray playing on a PC is a nightmare id go with the actual player

also whoever posted this podcasts thanks ill check them out eventually

#837 3GSid

3GSid

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:36 PM

Was somewhat surprised to see this, but as I was looking up how much some of Bandais sets wore worth, I noticed that Code Geass R2 The complete Second Season appears to be being restocked by Amazon.

It says from Amazon and says that it ships in 1 - 3 weeks. Was going for ALOT more before this, and Amazon has it at $35.28.

Here is the link if anybody is interested -

http://www.amazon.co...&seller=&sr=1-2

My Completed Anime List

http://myanimelist.n...tatus=2&order=4                      

Want 20% off brand new games? I can help you! Check my thread for details!

http://www.cheapassg...ion-animemanga/

#838 greenwolfe7

greenwolfe7

I play with dinosaurs!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 April 2013 - 02:54 PM

Was somewhat surprised to see this, but as I was looking up how much some of Bandais sets wore worth, I noticed that Code Geass R2 The complete Second Season appears to be being restocked by Amazon.

It says from Amazon and says that it ships in 1 - 3 weeks. Was going for ALOT more before this, and Amazon has it at $35.28.

Here is the link if anybody is interested -

http://www.amazon.co...&seller=&sr=1-2

I ordered this the same day you posted it hasn't shipped yet im starting to doubt it will I already got the notification they are still working on getting it. But the odd thing is at least in my experience with amazon they typically just cancel my order when they can't ship it by the estimated date. I've never had them ask for approval before to extend an order like that before?

Edited by greenwolfe7, 25 April 2013 - 03:05 PM.

#839 Tsukento

Tsukento

King of Pirates

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:44 AM

Yeah, considering Bandai's been closed for months now, don't expect much of anything. I jumped on The Big O Season 1 while it was still available to order (but Temporarily Out of Stock) in February. We're nearing May now, and it's not shipped and listing shows it's no longer available to order from Amazon or any third parties outside of used sellers/scalpers. I very much doubt it'll ever be honored, but it doesn't hurt to keep it up until they cancel it themselves.

#840 greenwolfe7

greenwolfe7

I play with dinosaurs!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:50 PM

Yeah, considering Bandai's been closed for months now, don't expect much of anything. I jumped on The Big O Season 1 while it was still available to order (but Temporarily Out of Stock) in February. We're nearing May now, and it's not shipped and listing shows it's no longer available to order from Amazon or any third parties outside of used sellers/scalpers. I very much doubt it'll ever be honored, but it doesn't hurt to keep it up until they cancel it themselves.

It wasn't even temporarily out of stock at the time although it did have 1-3weeks delivery. I just found it odd since usually they just cancel me even if its item thats going to be restocked soon... :/.