Photo
- - - - -

Bandai Entertainment will stop shipping anime to retailers in November

• Please log in to reply
880 replies to this topic

#61 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 02 September 2012 - 08:46 AM

Maybe GITS SAC will finally see a BD release in the US. So tired of looking at those awesome sets for $300 that were only released in Japan.

#62 zulux21

zulux21

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2012 - 09:46 AM

With everything going out of production, I'd expect those prices to go *up*, if anything. Those old single-volume releases that got sold off so cheap happened because they were overproduced. The industry is much more careful now, and we're already seeing some pretty big price-increases on the stuff that's been disappearing..

I suppose so but of the bandai stuff I believe I only need R2 of code geass a few random disks of lucky star and Gurren Lagann which both code geass and gurren are still in stock on amazon so I can wait for now.

I usually keep some money saved up in case I need to buy an anime on sale, but alas that got burned on inuyasha last month off rightstuf lol

#63 uncle5555

uncle5555

Grumpy Veteran CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2012 - 10:57 AM

Why watch the dub anyway? Ugh.

I will say this for the Bandai blu-ray -- the sound on the Japanese language track is one of the most impressive and striking audio tracks that I've heard on blu-ray. If you have a reasonably decent surround sound system, it's well worth grabbing it (while you still can) for the audio upgrade alone. Hopefully they'll keep the same Japanese audio track on the Funimation version, but there's no guarantee.

I'm not disagreeing with your assessment of the Akira Bluray, from what I've heard its one of the best mixes ever done on home video ever (there's some big write ups online about it somewhere detailing this) however...

I've listened to the JPN version when I couldn't stand the Pioneer dub any longer, while decent, it's not what I was used to or could enjoy enough to slog through it, and Pioneers claim that the Streamline release was not accurate was bullshit, I watched both side by side with their "accurate subtitles" and the only differences were some unnecessary profanity and other explanation to confusing things that didn't make it any better in my opinion.

I liked the Streamline dub, plus there are many talented 80's VA's on the cast (Cam Clarke as Kenada) and I dunno how it is for some people the first time I hear something that's how I like watching it again, with the same VA's (unless its abysmal and amateurish sounding) then I'll switch over.

But I'm not so anal to believe that all JPN VA's are superior to their English counterparts, and will never think that, it's your opinion if you do, even though it is a misguided one.

Completely agree about the Pioneer dub...sweet christ whoever managed that production should be shot in both kneecaps. Give me Cam Clarke's Kaneda any day of the week over that pile of garbage. Watched it with the Japanese lang. track after a friend picked up the dvd, was better than the new dub...but just didn't feel right. The Streamline dub is how I originally watched it, that's how I'll always want to watch it.

I don't have a region free dvd player, otherwise I would've picked up the Madman R4 release, since I've avoided all the other disc releases to date.

Actually that's not entirely true...I found a mint LASERDISC copy of the film with the Streamline dub @ a local used music/movie store for something like 6-8 bucks a few years back 8-). The rip I have archived on my computer originally came from a laserdisc rip as well (not my own). Funny though...since I don't own a laserdisc player either.....eh, oh well.

Only thing from the lists I'm seeing people post that I need to get seems to be Cowboy Bebop, to replace my old bootleg discs. Glad I checked the DVD forum, thanks OP.

Glad to see, I'm not the only fan of that classic and definitive dub of that movie. Unless you're stuck on not playing movies on your PC, VLC plays any region DVD movie perfectly fine, and that's how I watch all of my other region movies just fine. I'd recommend picking it up, since as I mentioned at the moment there is NO OTHER way to get that dub with high quality video at all in the world, as the R2 Manga Ent. release was a rubbish VHS full screen washed out atrocity (my VHS copy looked better) the region 4 version is the definitive version of the movie for that dub. As I said, I'd buy it again if the bluray came with the Streamline dub (for the what 4th time, lol) I love the movie and that dub that much.
The CAG motto: "Maybe you'll luck out and get the game during a sale before it sells out, maybe not, that's the life of a CAG. Luck of the draw. And timing is everything."

#64 XxFuRy2Xx

XxFuRy2Xx

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2012 - 02:48 PM

Man, I've got a few shows I want to pick up, but I don't think I'll be able to due to lack of cash. I hope that some other companies pick up some of these shows if I'm not able to get them.

#65 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2012 - 05:12 PM

Yikes, out of everything you just mentioned, I'd definite suggest rethinking this one in particular. The first couple episodes are harmless enough, but after that? Ye gods.

I know. I couldn't get much further after they introduced the enemies. All the ones I listed, I haven't bought for one reason or another, and and I'm not sure if I would miss them if they were out of print.

Haruhi S2 is mostly on principle.

#66 roger watersmelon

roger watersmelon

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2012 - 09:03 PM

I picked up a handful of blu rays yesterday. I got the Eureka Seven movie, and I also picked up all 6 volumes of Kurokami. I know that Kurokami is a dubbed only release on blu ray, but Amazon is selling new versions out of their warehouse for around $40 for the whole series.

For the most part I've already got all of the Bandai stuff I'd want, and all the big ones have been mentioned already. There are a couple shows I'd like to mention in case anyone's interested.

Scrapped Princess - Although I think it's been oop for awhile, I don't think it will be something that another company will pick up. I encourage people to look into reviews (careful of spoilers for this show) and see if they're interested.

The same goes for Planetes.

#67 JoePianist

JoePianist

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 September 2012 - 12:46 AM

Scrapped Princess - Although I think it's been oop for awhile, I don't think it will be something that another company will pick up. I encourage people to look into reviews (careful of spoilers for this show) and see if they're interested

"Scrapped Princess" has been a bit difficult to find for a good price since it went OOP last October. Luckily, I was able to grab an Anime Legends copy in great condition for $25 on eBay a few months ago 8-) Nowadays, you'll have to cough up around $50 average on eBay for the Anime Legends copy

If you're a fan of other animated works produced by BONES (Full Metal Alchemist, Eureka Seven, No. 6, etc.), I would definitely recommend Scrapped Princess. It has an interesting science-fiction premise with great characters. My biggest gripe with the show, however, is the fairly rushed ending.

#68 Dragonsbane

Dragonsbane

Dr. StrangeCAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 September 2012 - 03:14 AM

The gurren lagann movies arent bandai right?
Dr. Strange CAG- Or how I learned to stop worrying and love cheap stuff.

Posted Image
Christianity: The belief that a Jewish cosmic zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat fruit from a magical tree.

#69 SpartenOmega117

SpartenOmega117

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 September 2012 - 03:34 AM

I highly recommend picking up Code Geass. One of the best anime ever.

#70 JoePianist

JoePianist

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 September 2012 - 03:54 AM

The gurren lagann movies arent bandai right?

The Gurren Lagann movies are released by Aniplex USA in the States, so they *shouldn't* be affected by Bandai's closure

#71 NuclearPorkchop

NuclearPorkchop

Herc Mondo's Cousin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 September 2012 - 07:36 AM

Glad to see, I'm not the only fan of that classic and definitive dub of that movie. Unless you're stuck on not playing movies on your PC, VLC plays any region DVD movie perfectly fine, and that's how I watch all of my other region movies just fine. I'd recommend picking it up, since as I mentioned at the moment there is NO OTHER way to get that dub with high quality video at all in the world, as the R2 Manga Ent. release was a rubbish VHS full screen washed out atrocity (my VHS copy looked better) the region 4 version is the definitive version of the movie for that dub. As I said, I'd buy it again if the bluray came with the Streamline dub (for the what 4th time, lol) I love the movie and that dub that much.

I did not know that about VLC, I only ever use it when MPC doesn't want to play something properly. Again, totally agree about Pioneer's line of BS about the original dub being 'not properly translated'. Most of what they added was, like you said, some completely unnecessary profanity (IE: the scene where the previous-thought dud grenade goes off in the background).

I know GITS SAC is on netflix right now in SD, but is there seriously no Reg.A/All Blu release of it? I thought I saw some of the 'movies' on blu, I guess they didn't do the rest of the series proper. I'm seeing people mention it, but I'm still unclear on whether or not its a Bandai release and thusly, going OOP. (If so, I'll have to head back and pick up those cheap copies of 1st/2nd Gig I found at a local pawn shop).

*edit* Well dontcha know, there's the Bandai logo right on the AMZ product pic.

Currently Playing:
:ps3: Netflix

:360: GTAV ; Metal Gear Rising
:pc: Red Faction

:wii: n/a

:ds: Found my DS!

#72 coolsteel

coolsteel

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 September 2012 - 10:34 AM

Thankfully I don't need much to finish out what I want from Bandai , I would encourage those about to make orders to not forget Rightstuf they are cheaper then Amazon here and there and have free economy shipping over $49.

#73 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 September 2012 - 02:55 PM

Thankfully I don't need much to finish out what I want from Bandai , I would encourage those about to make orders to not forget Rightstuf they are cheaper then Amazon here and there and have free economy shipping over $49.

I checked a bunch of things, and Rightstuf was cheaper only on Gundam for me.

And BBY has Code Geass R2 for $29.99.

http://www.bestbuy.c...geass&lp=2&cp=1

R1 is the same price, but it's backordered online.

#74 theclaw

theclaw

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:18 PM

Dang. I was hoping Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya would go down. Super Robot Wars has steep volumes too.

Not sure what to think about all the Gundams. So many and I'm not even into that genre much, relatively speaking. Please Teacher I'd like to see though.

#75 Squall835

Squall835

Gamer without fear!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:30 PM

Dang. I was hoping Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya would go down. Super Robot Wars has steep volumes too.

Not sure what to think about all the Gundams. So many and I'm not even into that genre much, relatively speaking. Please Teacher I'd like to see though.

Try Gundam 00. I'm a pretty big Gundam fan and I think that one is the best for people new to the franchise. Otherwise, anything in the Universal Century timeline is good.

#76 thelonepig

thelonepig

Greasy Pork Pirates!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:00 PM

A local Best Buy has two of the Code Geass Season 1 sets at $29.99 each. If anyone is after one, send me a PM (cost plus shipping).

#77 adamthered

adamthered

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:13 AM

Is this why Go Hastings is trying to sell a copy of the Gunbuster DVD set, used, for almost $1000? Because if they can get that much for a copy of Gunbuster on DVD I'll gladly part with mine.
[URL="http://theshelfofshame.blogspot.com/"][/URL]

#78 klew

klew

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:37 PM

Thanks for the heads-up, op. Already have GitS: SAC. Picked up Cowboy Bebop & Akira.

#79 Rogueleader17

Rogueleader17

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 September 2012 - 06:24 PM

Try Gundam 00. I'm a pretty big Gundam fan and I think that one is the best for people new to the franchise. Otherwise, anything in the Universal Century timeline is good.

I second that. 00 was probably my favorite of the other gundam stories.

tachikoma_02.gif"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes."

#80 anotherpoorgamer

anotherpoorgamer

Bird's Nest Hair

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 September 2012 - 06:35 PM

• Cowboy Bebop
  • Code Geass
  • Eureka Seven
  • Gurren Lagann
  • Haruhi Suzumiya
  • .hack (Sign or Roots are the best)
  • If you like Gundam (Gundam 00 and Wing are my Favs)
  • Outlaw Star
  • Big O

Ignore the other list, this one's better. ;)

-Cowboy Bebop
-Wolf's Rain
-Escaflowne
-Eureka Seven
-Big O
-Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
-Code Geass
-The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
-Planetes
-FLAG
-Toward the Terra

And if you can only pick a top three, Bebop, Wolf's Rain, and Escaflowne are so far out of everything else's league that it's crazy. Everyone needs to have those in their collection.

I've only watched the ones that were on Toonami. Definitely going to try to get some of the blu-rays, probably not all of them. This is a good list of must haves then.

It would be a shame to see all these anime shows mostly forgotten.
If it weren't for the claw's avatar, I'd probably would have forgotten about Urusei Yatsura and Ranma 1/2. Wish those were on Blu-ray.

#81 Dark_Sage

Dark_Sage

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:12 PM

If you grew up with pong being the cool thing at school, I guess Kirin's/Rogue's lists are valid. But if you can still get up without assistance from your children, mine's better.

1. Code Geass (both seasons)
2. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (both seasons + movie; watch first season in AIRING ORDER - check wikipedia for the proper order; only watch first and last episode of Endless Eight)
3. Gurren Lagann
4. K-On (first season; Sentai has the second and it's overpriced)
5. Mobile Suit Gundam 00 (Season 1 and 2)
6. Lucky Star
7. Banner/Crest of the Stars (Crest of the Stars, Banner of the Stars, Banner of the Stars II)

Haters may commence hating.

#82 Richard Kain

Richard Kain

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:58 PM

It would be a shame to see all these anime shows mostly forgotten.

Oh, I don't think you will have to worry about that. Just because Bandai U.S. is shutting its doors, that doesn't mean the anime they produce isn't going to be released in the west. They will simply license out their properties to other publishers. And a lot of Bandia's back catalog is stuffed with series that have high critical acclaim and stable fanbases. I'm sure we'll be seeing most, if not all of them again at some point.

I am going to start looking for deals on Gundam series. I've always been a little lax in picking up the Gundam DVDs. Mainly because there are just so many of them, and I assumed that down that road lay madness. Most of them have box sets now, so the time is probably right.

#83 TidalDreams

TidalDreams

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:05 PM

Ignore the other list, this one's better. ;)

-Cowboy Bebop
-Wolf's Rain
-Escaflowne
-Eureka Seven
-Big O
-Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
-Code Geass
-The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
-Planetes
-FLAG
-Toward the Terra

And if you can only pick a top three, Bebop, Wolf's Rain, and Escaflowne are so far out of everything else's league that it's crazy. Everyone needs to have those in their collection.

While I agree Escaflowne was great for its time, saying it's better than the likes of Ghost in the Shell is just crazy. And Cowboy Bebop is the most overated anime I've seen. > 90% of it is filler and the real story doesn't take place for more than a couple of episodes. </opinion>

#84 Dark_Sage

Dark_Sage

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:57 PM

While I agree Escaflowne was great for its time, saying it's better than the likes of Ghost in the Shell is just crazy. And Cowboy Bebop is the most overated anime I've seen. > 90% of it is filler and the real story doesn't take place for more than a couple of episodes. </opinion>

You're right. The only reason people like it is because it's likely one of the first ones they saw. It's a slightly above-average anime that received acclaim due to a lack of quality competition around the time when it was released and its prominent status on Cartoon Network. There are hundreds of better series out there.

#85 TidalDreams

TidalDreams

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:27 PM

You're right. The only reason people like it is because it's likely one of the first ones they saw. It's a slightly above-average anime that received acclaim due to a lack of quality competition around the time when it was released and its prominent status on Cartoon Network. There are hundreds of better series out there.

If you don't count Pokemon/Digimon, I believe Escaflowne was the first anime I watched. I hold it in pretty high regard probably for that reason.

#86 Dark_Sage

Dark_Sage

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:09 PM

If you don't count Pokemon/Digimon, I believe Escaflowne was the first anime I watched. I hold it in pretty high regard probably for that reason.

Just for clarification, I was talking about Cowboy Bebop. I have yet to watch the Escaflowne series and probably never will since there are tons of less dated shoujo out there.

#87 Squall835

Squall835

Gamer without fear!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:39 PM

Has anyone seen Toward the Terra? The premise interests me.

#88 Kirin Lemon

Kirin Lemon

世界を革命する者

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:51 PM

Has anyone seen Toward the Terra? The premise interests me.

Yeah, and it's worth a purchase. Good stuff.
Posted Image

#89 Richard Kain

Richard Kain

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:52 PM

I really like Cowboy Bebop. And I started watching it before it ever came out on Cartoon Network. (I was actually really irked when it did, because it drove the price for the DVDs through the roof) I like the fact that it doesn't spend most of its time harping on a single narrative. It was a more easy-going, laid-back show that just took its time exploring the various characters. Very creative use of music as well.

Sometimes shows are overrated. And sometimes they are popular because they are genuinely good. In a sea of much more formulaic anime, Cowboy Bebop broke out of the conventions set by its predecessors. It is a refreshing experience because it is so different from most anime.

#90 Dark_Sage

Dark_Sage

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:35 PM

I really like Cowboy Bebop. And I started watching it before it ever came out on Cartoon Network. (I was actually really irked when it did, because it drove the price for the DVDs through the roof) I like the fact that it doesn't spend most of its time harping on a single narrative. It was a more easy-going, laid-back show that just took its time exploring the various characters. Very creative use of music as well.

Sometimes shows are overrated. And sometimes they are popular because they are genuinely good. In a sea of much more formulaic anime, Cowboy Bebop broke out of the conventions set by its predecessors. It is a refreshing experience because it is so different from most anime.

Could you explain what makes it different and better than other anime? I hope you have enough familiarity with anime to show that its popularity is completely justified in the face of the hundreds of other series out there.