Bandai Entertainment will stop shipping anime to retailers in November

• Please log in to reply
880 replies to this topic

#91 Rogueleader17

Rogueleader17

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:33 AM

Could you explain what makes it different and better than other anime? I hope you have enough familiarity with anime to show that its popularity is completely justified in the face of the hundreds of other series out there.

Its soundtrack was brilliant. I don't see to many scifi shows with jazz and blues. The atmosphere that the whole show makes is very different from most scifi before its time. Thats the best I can do trying to explain why its so good.

tachikoma_02.gif"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes."

#92 b3b0p

b3b0p

Where's r0ckst34dy?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:03 AM

No more Haruhi Suzumiya!?

NOOOooo...!!!

That movie, it was epic!

#93 AFRO insomniac

AFRO insomniac

Pikmin 3 - Challenge Mode is DOPE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:10 AM

Its soundtrack was brilliant. I don't see to many scifi shows with jazz and blues. The atmosphere that the whole show makes is very different from most scifi before its time. Thats the best I can do trying to explain why its so good.

This exactly. The characters are also extremely likable.

Playing

Spoiler
2014 2013

#94 Dark_Sage

Dark_Sage

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:11 AM

Well, then...

http://www.funimatio...accano/episodes
or
http://www.hulu.com/baccano

Leaps and bounds better than Bebop and it satisfies your jazz requirement. (Watch the dub.)

#95 kayne2000

kayne2000

All Glory to Tachikoma Paradise

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:45 AM

damnit all.

prices will skyrocket....no guarantee where some of these licenses will end up why must anime do this the second anything might go OOP and prices on anime are usually far higher than anything else with no guarantee the quality will be better than fan subs

oh well i have ghost in the shell, cowboy beepop(thank you i love you gamestop when you used to have used dvds for 2 dollars lol yes i bought in good condition that entire show for like 12 dollars lol) this was one reason i loved their used dvds anime was always around and cheap as hell, akira, and one of the escaflower movies. oh and kurokami blu rays were on sale recently for like 5-8 dollars so i got those to finish the collection

oh well more anime shows i never stand a chance of owning ever unless funimation picks them up...is funimation like the only anime distrbuter in america anymore?? it seems like everyone else has gone under? truly a shame what happened to anime in america

and to whoever asked i think the first ghost in the shell movie got a blu ray release in america ok checking amazon...the first movie got a blu ray release, the last movie did and those season compilations laughing man and indiviual eleven got a blu ray release(not the who seasons those 2 hour season summary movies)...the second movie appears to have a blu ray release but not in america(fortunently blu rays are less picky with regions) the second movie barely even came out in america in dvd format so not shocking

#96 McFryyyyyy

McFryyyyyy

Mogwai Fear Satan!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:06 AM

Has anyone watched FLAG ? If so is there a box set? If not can someone direct me to a cheap Vol 2 of it as Amazon doesn't have it but it has Vol 1, 3 and 4 for >20$

#97 Puppet Master

Puppet Master

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:13 AM

damnit all.

prices will skyrocket....no guarantee where some of these licenses will end up why must anime do this the second anything might go OOP and prices on anime are usually far higher than anything else with no guarantee the quality will be better than fan subs

oh well i have ghost in the shell, cowboy beepop(thank you i love you gamestop when you used to have used dvds for 2 dollars lol yes i bought in good condition that entire show for like 12 dollars lol) this was one reason i loved their used dvds anime was always around and cheap as hell, akira, and one of the escaflower movies. oh and kurokami blu rays were on sale recently for like 5-8 dollars so i got those to finish the collection

oh well more anime shows i never stand a chance of owning ever unless funimation picks them up...is funimation like the only anime distrbuter in america anymore?? it seems like everyone else has gone under? truly a shame what happened to anime in america

and to whoever asked i think the first ghost in the shell movie got a blu ray release in america ok checking amazon...the first movie got a blu ray release, the last movie did and those season compilations laughing man and indiviual eleven got a blu ray release(not the who seasons those 2 hour season summary movies)...the second movie appears to have a blu ray release but not in america(fortunently blu rays are less picky with regions) the second movie barely even came out in america in dvd format so not shocking

GITS 2: Innocence DID have a Blu Ray release it's just out of print and overpriced as hell. http://www.amazon.co...TF8&me=&seller=

I'm assuming that's what your referring to if not than my bad.

Zoombucks - http://www.zoombucks...f=Puppet-Master
InstaGC - http://www.instagc.com/59976 - Like this one since you can get 2% back from most Amazon purchases

#98 kayne2000

kayne2000

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:36 AM

yea i wasnt sure if that was even an american release and thats why it was OOP compared to all the other blu ray ghost in the shell stuff i saw.

but yea i saw that. i guess its just a limited release due to that movie having endless licensing issues. i figured it didnt get an american release due to it being OOP and high priced compared to the others but i guess im wrong. google seems to say it had an america release

me personally i wish they would make a season 3 its a crime when naruto is on its 1000th episode, the simpsons is closing in on 25 seasons and ghost in the shell has 3 movies and 2 seasons only.

#99 ssjChris

ssjChris

Posted 05 September 2012 - 11:55 AM

Went ahead and ordered Eureka Seven since it has a new series (or whatever) on the way. I've been meaning to watch it and $30 for each didn't seem too bad. I might bite on it's movie next or the Haruhi movie with my next check. Other than that, I think I have everything I want from them at this point. I got Haruhi S1/S2, Cowboy Bebop Remix, Outlaw Star, and Gurren Lagann from previous sales.

I'm also considering Code Geass for next month (never watched it), but we'll see.

#100 Rogueleader17

Rogueleader17

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:05 PM

Well, then...

http://www.funimatio...accano/episodes
or
http://www.hulu.com/baccano

Leaps and bounds better than Bebop and it satisfies your jazz requirement. (Watch the dub.)

Great Show, Love the overall theme to this one as well. I would say the story just doesn't hold up to cowboy bebop's more serious themes, and don't get me wrong some of the eps can be silly but the show kept a pretty interesting and somewhat realistic look on the future compared to most. Just because a show has jazz doesn't mean everyone will like it. The one thing that stood out in Baccano was the way they chose to tell the story piece by piece and not always in the same order, it kept if fairly interesting compared to if they just told it chronologically it might not have been as good.

tachikoma_02.gif"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes."

#101 Richard Kain

Richard Kain

Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:51 PM

? You just invalidated your whole position. Suggesting that we watch Baccano is fine and good. No harm in recommending a series you like. But telling me that I ought to watch the dubbed version of any anime? I don't think so.

#102 Dark_Sage

Dark_Sage

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:35 PM

? You just invalidated your whole position. Suggesting that we watch Baccano is fine and good. No harm in recommending a series you like. But telling me that I ought to watch the dubbed version of any anime? I don't think so.

Please elaborate.

#103 Richard Kain

Richard Kain

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:19 PM

Please elaborate.

I am a dubbing snob. I don't listen to anime in dubbing...ever. I use subtitles and original Japanese audio every time. I won't buy any anime DVD or BluRay that doesn't have the original Japanese audio. I will even stick to the Japanese audio when its in mono. (such as the Dragonball Z boxsets)

There are a small handful of series where I will admit that the english dubbing is decent. Full Metal Alchemist had some reasonable voice work in the english translation. The Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex seasons also had very respectable dubbing. I still preferred the Japanese audio for these series, but I can admit that the english dubbing didn't embarrass itself.

I haven't seen Baccano, so I will admit that I can't speak to the quality of its dubbing. Perhaps it has quite good english dubbing. At the same time, I am taken aback that any fan of anime would actively encourage that someone listen to the english dubbing. For me that is always an "if there is no other option" scenario.

Just as a further example, the english dubbing for Cowboy Bebop is an atrocity. Anyone who watches that series with the english dubbing isn't getting the optimal experience.

#104 Squall835

Squall835

Gamer without fear!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:41 PM

Just as a further example, the english dubbing for Cowboy Bebop is an atrocity. Anyone who watches that series with the english dubbing isn't getting the optimal experience.

According to you, though. Even the director thinks the English dub is better than the Japanese, so there really isn't an incorrect option. Anyway, can we please get back to recommending shows that might not be available much longer? Anyone who likes hard sci-fi should check out Planetes; that show is amazing.

#105 roger watersmelon

roger watersmelon

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:57 PM

GITS 2: Innocence DID have a Blu Ray release it's just out of print and overpriced as hell. http://www.amazon.co...TF8&me=&seller=

I'm assuming that's what your referring to if not than my bad.

There was a $60 used copy that got bought as I was debating about whether or not I wanted to pick it up. I had missed the release of the second movie on blu ray, but I just can't bring myself to spend that much money on just a single movie. Honestly, I'm glad that someone made that decision for me.

As for Hayate The Combat Butler, though you run the risk of being like a douche, I highly recommend that you take advantage of Amazon clearing out volumes 1-7. I may have all 8 because I bought them new, but I paid around $160 for them too. That was the cheapest price you could get them for at the time (Borders using 50% off coupons made them around $20 each). For only $47 total you can have new copies of volumes 1-7.

#106 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:46 PM

As for Hayate The Combat Butler, though you run the risk of being like a douche, I highly recommend that you take advantage of Amazon clearing out volumes 1-7. I may have all 8 because I bought them new, but I paid around $160 for them too. That was the cheapest price you could get them for at the time (Borders using 50% off coupons made them around $20 each). For only $47 total you can have new copies of volumes 1-7.

Yea, that was bs. I paid $150 for 1-7 and they released a tiny print of 8, and have no hope of completing this set without shelling out another $250. Just means I'm that much more unlikely to buy non-boxed sets more than ever before.

With my luck, they'll discontinue the manga too.

#107 kayne2000

kayne2000

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:50 PM

There was a $60 used copy that got bought as I was debating about whether or not I wanted to pick it up. I had missed the release of the second movie on blu ray, but I just can't bring myself to spend that much money on just a single movie. Honestly, I'm glad that someone made that decision for me.

yea it is. i really dont know wtf happened to that movie to skyrocket oh well. at least i have a dvd copy i bought at an anime shop we used to have before it went out of business....not that that is shocking...high prices and odd location...but mostly high prices in comparison to everywhere. such a shame too as thanks to that place i have blue plush tachikomas which dont exist anywhere on the internet anymore

as for combat butler what crazyness is this just looked it up lol. it looks completely whacky and random

I am a dubbing snob. I don't listen to anime in dubbing...ever. I use subtitles and original Japanese audio every time. I won't buy any anime DVD or BluRay that doesn't have the original Japanese audio. I will even stick to the Japanese audio when its in mono. (such as the Dragonball Z boxsets)

There are a small handful of series where I will admit that the english dubbing is decent. Full Metal Alchemist had some reasonable voice work in the english translation. The Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex seasons also had very respectable dubbing. I still preferred the Japanese audio for these series, but I can admit that the english dubbing didn't embarrass itself.

I haven't seen Baccano, so I will admit that I can't speak to the quality of its dubbing. Perhaps it has quite good english dubbing. At the same time, I am taken aback that any fan of anime would actively encourage that someone listen to the english dubbing. For me that is always an "if there is no other option" scenario.

lol no. english dubbing is not always bad. plus its in english(the language of which i know and understand) thus this makes it superior to my ears...not to say i wont listen to japanese with subtitles if that is the only choice. but there are cases where the japanese voices are terrible....dbz being one example. goku especially is just outright unbearable.

my only dubbing gripe is sometimes it is inaccurate but thats to be expected translating across languages can be tough and japanese isnt the easiest language to learn.

#108 Vash1306

Vash1306

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 September 2012 - 05:00 PM

Just so everyone knows again, Ghost in the Shell and all it's products (both series, blu-rays, movies) are handled by MANGA. So if it's on your list of this to rush and get, take it off cause it won't go out of print along with Bandai.

#109 shrike4242

shrike4242

Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 September 2012 - 05:00 PM

Ignore the other list, this one's better. ;)

-Cowboy Bebop
-Wolf's Rain
-Escaflowne
-Eureka Seven
-Big O
-Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
-Code Geass
-The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
-Planetes
-FLAG
-Toward the Terra

And if you can only pick a top three, Bebop, Wolf's Rain, and Escaflowne are so far out of everything else's league that it's crazy. Everyone needs to have those in their collection.

Guess there's a few I have to pick up in the next couple of months then for at least what I've seen and don't own.

I have Big O when Buy.com had them on the cheap last year, picked up the big-box of GITS when DVDPlanet had them on B1G1, as well as BeBop from Amazon.

I know I'd want to get Wolf's Rain since I know I liked it when it was on Cartoon Network back in the day. I've heard enough good things about Escaflowne to see that it appears to be good enough to own. About the rest, don't know off hand, though I'm assuming that the "Perfect Collection" would be the one to pick up since they seem to be the only ones out there in any abundance?

#110 Vash1306

Vash1306

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 September 2012 - 05:04 PM

Correct, the perfect collection is previous two half sets combined into one package.

#111 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 September 2012 - 05:14 PM

There's no way stuff like Wolf's Rain, Cowboy Bebop, Haruhi, Gundam, and other popular ones won't get relicensed, imo.

#112 roger watersmelon

roger watersmelon

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 September 2012 - 05:22 PM

Yea, that was bs. I paid $150 for 1-7 and they released a tiny print of 8, and have no hope of completing this set without shelling out another $250. Just means I'm that much more unlikely to buy non-boxed sets more than ever before.

With my luck, they'll discontinue the manga too.

I'm sorry to hear that, I actually had no idea that volume 8 had such a low print run until I read your post earlier. I also really hope that they don't eventually cancel the US releases of the manga, I don't like reading comics digitally.

#113 shrike4242

shrike4242

Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 September 2012 - 05:47 PM

Correct, the perfect collection is previous two half sets combined into one package.

Thanks for the confirmation.

#114 Richard Kain

Richard Kain

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:51 PM

I've got to hit up some Gundam, Lucky Star, Haruhi, and Code Geass. Yeah, my wallet's going to be hurting by the time this is done. I'm especially light in the Gundam category, and there is just a crap-ton of material in that series. I could probably give Wing a pass. While I do have a certain degree of nostalgia for the series from the old Toonami days, I recognize that it doesn't quite hold up compared to other Gundam series. I already have 08th MS Team. (one of my favorites) I will definitely want to get Gundam 00, I really liked that one. Seed and Destiny are up in the air, I would get them if I could find a good deal. And of course, I would be interested in picking up a copy of the original series.

#115 animemaniac14

animemaniac14

Do the Monkey w/Me!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:07 PM

escaflowne is awesome, as is wolf's rain (both to this day). Wolf's rain has one of my favorite villains of all time (in an anime at least)...Lord Darcia.

[DVDs=727] [VGs=434

Free Gift Cards > Sex with a Blueshirt

#116 kayne2000

kayne2000

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:05 PM

I've got to hit up some Gundam, Lucky Star, Haruhi, and Code Geass. Yeah, my wallet's going to be hurting by the time this is done. I'm especially light in the Gundam category, and there is just a crap-ton of material in that series. I could probably give Wing a pass. While I do have a certain degree of nostalgia for the series from the old Toonami days, I recognize that it doesn't quite hold up compared to other Gundam series. I already have 08th MS Team. (one of my favorites) I will definitely want to get Gundam 00, I really liked that one. Seed and Destiny are up in the air, I would get them if I could find a good deal. And of course, I would be interested in picking up a copy of the original series.

yea hopefully code geass will go on sale sometime. i dont have a 100 bucks to blow on it lol

#117 thelonepig

thelonepig

Greasy Pork Pirates!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:37 PM

Code Geass is $29.99 each at Rightstuf.

#118 Olengie

Olengie

Rise is Best Girl.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 September 2012 - 11:11 PM

So. I have to get Bandai titles before they become majorly overpriced? I'm game for that. :lol: It's going to take a long time for me to do so, especially for the Gundam titles. But I think I'll manage. I'll go ahead and pick up Mobile Fighter G Gundam Collection at my local Pawn Shop later. Hopefully I can get it for 10. xD

gallery_349297_8234_6637.jpg

Designed By Lilchiji

Spoiler

Spoiler

#119 ZeroFlame15

ZeroFlame15

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 September 2012 - 02:57 AM

I'm hoping to get G Gundam, Gundam Wing, Code Geass, and some others hopefully before they go overpriced.

#120 Mako1215

Mako1215

Mr.OneOfWonder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 September 2012 - 03:16 AM

Well looks like I will be buying a crap ton of anime from Bandai.

Now just to figure out what they do so I can buy it all.

First, how can you claim prior non-existance to devalue a movement? I am sure the civil rights movement would love that. "Well, there was no movement to free the slaves before, so why is it relavent now?"

518793.png