Bandai Entertainment will stop shipping anime to retailers in November

• Please log in to reply
880 replies to this topic

#121 themaster20000

themaster20000

You sleeping yet?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 September 2012 - 03:17 AM

Gotta get myself a copy of Outlaw Star,before that jumps up in price.

#122 kayne2000

kayne2000

All Glory to Tachikoma Paradise

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 September 2012 - 03:32 AM

Code Geass is $29.99 each at Rightstuf.

thanks that helps but i still lack 60 dollars the moment lol

ill keep it in mind for later and yea damn crap is about go overpriced hopefully funimation picks up a lot of this and keeps printing it.

EDIT:

be nice if this gets clearanced out like kurokami is on amazon right no at 5-7 bucks a blu ray disc.

Edited by kayne2000, 06 September 2012 - 03:50 AM.

#123 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 September 2012 - 04:09 AM

thanks that helps but i still lack 60 dollars the moment lol

ill keep it in mind for later and yea damn crap is about go overpriced hopefully funimation picks up a lot of this and keeps printing it.

EDIT:

be nice if this gets clearanced out like kurokami is on amazon right no at 5-7 bucks a blu ray disc.

Unlikely Funimation will make it much cheaper, due to Code Geass being 2 seasons of 26 episodes each.

And it won't get clearanced like Kurokami. People hated it because it's dubbed only.

#124 TheAggroCraig

TheAggroCraig

Posted 06 September 2012 - 04:24 AM

There's not a whole lot from Bandai that I need (thank god), but there's a few things I'm sure I'll get pressured into buying... but damn this blows.

Posted Image

(Ex: Buy/Half/DeepDiscount/Gamestop.com/etc)

#125 kayne2000

kayne2000

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 September 2012 - 04:33 AM

Unlikely Funimation will make it much cheaper, due to Code Geass being 2 seasons of 26 episodes each.

And it won't get clearanced like Kurokami. People hated it because it's dubbed only.

well yes but at least if funimation gets it is less likely to go OOP.

and kurokami is good. i never even checked to see if it was in japanese lol. oh well i cant stand that if anime isnt subbed and in japanese its bad mentality so doesnt bug me. such a shame as it is surprisingly a good anime

#126 funkymonkeyjavajunky

funkymonkeyjavajunky

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 September 2012 - 04:38 AM

Amazon currently has six copies of "The Girl Who Leapt Through Time" [Blu-ray] at $35.98. If you want to pick this up for a reasonable price you'd better get it fast.

#127 NuclearPorkchop

NuclearPorkchop

Herc Mondo's Cousin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 September 2012 - 06:43 AM

Just so everyone knows again, Ghost in the Shell and all it's products (both series, blu-rays, movies) are handled by MANGA. So if it's on your list of this to rush and get, take it off cause it won't go out of print along with Bandai.

Actually this seems to be only half-true. According to Wikipedia, MANGA only has the liscencing rights for the SAC dvds/blues in the UK. Bandai has/had the license for USA/Canada distribution.

*edit*
Sure enough, there IS a MANGA logo on the reverse cover, so maybe MANGA will pick up re-release rights....but they RARELY do so from my experience. The very few I think were a few films as the "Essential" collection, with not very many actual essential titles IMO.

Edited by NuclearPorkchop, 06 September 2012 - 06:55 AM.

Currently Playing:
:ps3: MGS Peace Walker HD

:360: n/a
:pc: Arkham Asylum; Hawken; Whatever Playfire tells me to play.

Add me on Steam, we'll play games and stuff:

#128 kayne2000

kayne2000

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:09 AM

Amazon currently has six copies of "The Girl Who Leapt Through Time" [Blu-ray] at $35.98. If you want to pick this up for a reasonable price you'd better get it fast.

dvd is still at 22....blu ray is now up to 146 on amazon. truly just wow lol

EDIT:

GITS is probably popular enough to not go OOP but i could be wrong.

#129 Devulture

Devulture

Scavenging the Earth

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:31 PM

I'm content w/o gettin' the blu-ray version. It has nothing on the deluxe edition with the soundtrack. As long as I get The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya on time, that's all it matters.

Out of the Gundam-licensed DVDs, Gundam 0080, G Gundam, the classic Mobile Suit Gundam, the movie: Zeta's Counterattack, and G Gundam are must-watch properties.

There are a couple of recommendations that others didn't mention: Outlaw Star and the Crest of the Stars franchise. Outlaw Star is basically Firefly-like, and while the story and character designs are a relic of the '90s, it's still fun and action-packed to watch. Crest of the Stars (followed by Banner of the Stars) is a bit of an acquired taste, but if you love complex Space Operas, it's worth checking out. The anime's very low key and heavy on politics, and word of warning: watch it in Japanese audio. I'm not against English dubs in general, but the dubs in the Stars series are HORRID. It's also a bit of a recommendation for myself, since it's been a while since I've seen the first series.

Also, I'm of the opinion that you should get S1 of The Big-O and ignore S2 altogether; in fact, ignore the last episode of the first season. It makes the series that much enjoyable of an experience, and you don't have to get involved with its convoluted and unsatisfactory plot arc.

Forgot to add a title: Sword of the Stranger. GET IT! The movie's one of the finest pure-action samurai stories in anime.

Edited by Devulture, 06 September 2012 - 12:36 PM.
Forgot a recommendation

#130 Richard Kain

Richard Kain

Posted 06 September 2012 - 01:59 PM

Just as a heads-up, Right Stuf is doing some manner of back-to-school sale where you can get an extra 10% off all in-stock items. I took advantage of this deal to order a large number of Gundam box sets. (the seat of Bandai's power) With this deal, most of the box sets were $33 each. (the half-series box sets that contained about 26 episodes each) This is competitively priced with most of Amazon's prices for these sets, and a much better price in some instances.

If you want to focus on getting the Universal Century Gundam series (the original and primary Gundam) you are looking at dropping somewhere in the realm of $200 - $250. This is actually pretty reasonable. This would include...

Gundam 0079, parts 1 and 2 (the original Gundam series, that details the events of the one-year war)
Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket
Gundam: Stardust Memory
Gundam: 08th MS Team
Gundam Zeta, parts 1 and 2

While not the entire Universal Century series, this does account for the lion's share of original series Gundam content. I personally opted to wait a little while on the spin-off Gundam series, but those would include...

Gundam Wing, parts 1 and 2
G-Gundam, parts 1 and 2
Gundam Seed, parts 1 and 2
Gundam Seed Destiny, parts 1 and 2
Gundam 00, parts 1 and 2 (technically seasons 1 and 2, but who cares?)

There's also Gundam Unicorn, but I believe that is actually being published in the U.S. by Bandai Japan, so its release schedule won't be affected by Bandai U.S. shutting down.

Edited by Richard Kain, 06 September 2012 - 05:59 PM.

#131 Squall835

Squall835

Gamer without fear!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 September 2012 - 02:26 PM

Forgot to add a title: Sword of the Stranger. GET IT! The movie's one of the finest pure-action samurai stories in anime.

Damn you, I've been interested in that one for a while and I'm a huge fan of Samurai films. Now I'll have to pick it up! I placed an order for Toward the Terra yesterday from www.frys.com. I suggest anyone looking for a copy order it from them; it's the cheapest I've been able to find it for a new copy ($32.50 after shipping).

#132 Vash1306

Vash1306

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 September 2012 - 05:17 PM

For Towards the Terra, I got the 3 parts release on Amazon through sellers for $17.87 (w/ shipping).

Part 1 ($4.99): http://www.amazon.co...ils_o00_s00_i00

Part 2 ($2.97): http://www.amazon.co...ils_o01_s00_i01
Part 3 ($0.97): http://www.amazon.co...ils_o01_s00_i00

+$2.98 shipping for each.

Edited by Vash1306, 06 September 2012 - 05:43 PM.

#133 shrike4242

shrike4242

Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 September 2012 - 06:26 PM

Just ordered Outlaw Star ($38.99) (5 left as of the time of my order, so hopefully 4 left with mine), Escaflowne ($25.50) and Wolf's Rain ($34.99) from Amazon.

Wolf's Rain and Escaflowne didn't say anything about being low on quantities, though Outlaw Star did.

#134 Mako1215

Mako1215

Mr.OneOfWonder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:34 PM

I can't decide if I should drop a good amount on blu ray or if I should wait and see what other companies pick up the different series.

First, how can you claim prior non-existance to devalue a movement? I am sure the civil rights movement would love that. "Well, there was no movement to free the slaves before, so why is it relavent now?"

518793.png

#135 themaster20000

themaster20000

You sleeping yet?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:25 PM

I can't decide if I should drop a good amount on blu ray or if I should wait and see what other companies pick up the different series.

Funimation will pick up most of them,and Sentai will pick up the rest most likely .

#136 Kazaganthi

Kazaganthi

Blue Rogue

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:33 PM

GITS 2: Innocence DID have a Blu Ray release it's just out of print and overpriced as hell. http://www.amazon.co...TF8&me=&seller=

I'm assuming that's what your referring to if not than my bad.

I'd recommend the EU version. I bought this on sale for $20 shipped to US last year. It's more expensive now, but still beats US version in price by a lot. GITS 2.0 + Innocence 2-pack:
http://www.amazon.co.../dp/B002JWK4XU/

Or just GITS 2: Innocence :br:
http://www.amazon.co...u/dp/B001U3EONA

Edited by Kazaganthi, 06 September 2012 - 09:42 PM.
added link

#137 Richard Kain

Richard Kain

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:40 PM

Just a note, the My-Hime and My-Otome series are also Bandai.

#138 tangytangerine

tangytangerine

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:20 PM

There's also Gundam Unicorn, but I believe that is actually being published in the U.S. by Bandai Japan, so its release schedule won't be affected by Bandai U.S. shutting down.

The blu-rays are being published by Bandai Japan, but the DVD version was being published by Bandai's U.S. division. So there will be no more episodes on DVD unless Bandai Japan starts releasing region 1 DVDs or another publisher arranges a deal for it.

There are a couple of recommendations that others didn't mention: Outlaw Star and the Crest of the Stars franchise. Outlaw Star is basically Firefly-like, and while the story and character designs are a relic of the '90s, it's still fun and action-packed to watch. Crest of the Stars (followed by Banner of the Stars) is a bit of an acquired taste, but if you love complex Space Operas, it's worth checking out. The anime's very low key and heavy on politics, and word of warning: watch it in Japanese audio. I'm not against English dubs in general, but the dubs in the Stars series are HORRID. It's also a bit of a recommendation for myself, since it's been a while since I've seen the first series.

Yeah, Crest/Banner of the Stars is a great show for anyone who can put up with it. Crest of the Stars seemed like the easiest one to get into and you're right about the english dubs. Also, IIRC, all 3 seasons(Crest, Banners 1 & 2) went OOP sometime ago(before Bandai announced they were closing the U.S. branch). So what is out there as new is probably just old stock.

Edited by tangytangerine, 06 September 2012 - 10:38 PM.

#139 Richard Kain

Richard Kain

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:43 PM

The blu-rays are being published by Bandai Japan, but the DVD version was being published by Bandai's U.S. division. So there will be no more episodes on DVD unless Bandai Japan starts releasing region 1 DVDs or another publisher arranges a deal for it.

Ah, I was not aware of the distinction between the DVDs and Blu-Rays. I had only acquired the Blu-Rays up to this point. They are far less economical, but kind of worth it given the quality of animation in Gundam Unicorn. That series looks REALLY good on Blu-Ray.

#140 Rogueleader17

Rogueleader17

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 September 2012 - 03:54 AM

Just as a heads-up, Right Stuf is doing some manner of back-to-school sale where you can get an extra 10% off all in-stock items. I took advantage of this deal to order a large number of Gundam box sets. (the seat of Bandai's power) With this deal, most of the box sets were $33 each. (the half-series box sets that contained about 26 episodes each) This is competitively priced with most of Amazon's prices for these sets, and a much better price in some instances.

If you want to focus on getting the Universal Century Gundam series (the original and primary Gundam) you are looking at dropping somewhere in the realm of $200 - $250. This is actually pretty reasonable. This would include...

Gundam 0079, parts 1 and 2 (the original Gundam series, that details the events of the one-year war)
Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket
Gundam: Stardust Memory
Gundam: 08th MS Team
Gundam Zeta, parts 1 and 2

While not the entire Universal Century series, this does account for the lion's share of original series Gundam content. I personally opted to wait a little while on the spin-off Gundam series, but those would include...

Gundam Wing, parts 1 and 2
G-Gundam, parts 1 and 2
Gundam Seed, parts 1 and 2
Gundam Seed Destiny, parts 1 and 2
Gundam 00, parts 1 and 2 (technically seasons 1 and 2, but who cares?)

You forgot Chars Counter Attack which takes place after Gundam ZZ which never go a dub or us release and the Gundam F91 movie, both movies are part of the uc gundam universe. Also The Gundam wing movie Endless Waltz and Gundam 00 movie Trailblazer(available on bluray and quite stunning). Otherwise thats about it if you don't care for that SD Gundam crap.

tachikoma_02.gif"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes."

#141 kayne2000

kayne2000

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 September 2012 - 03:56 AM

You forgot Chars Counter Attack which takes place after Gundam ZZ which never go a dub or us release and the Gundam F91 movie, both movies are part of the uc gundam universe. Also The Gundam wing movie Endless Waltz and Gundam 00 movie Trailblazer(available on bluray and quite stunning). Otherwise thats about it if you don't care for that SD Gundam crap.

you sig is winner....best robot ever in any tv show ever

#142 b3b0p

b3b0p

Where's r0ckst34dy?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 September 2012 - 04:23 AM

As if Akira didn't get marked up enough already.

FFFUUUuuu... I wanted it on Blu-ray badly.

Luckily about 90% of the stuff I watch is Funimation.

http://en.wikipedia....nt_anime_titles

I'll wager that they will license the DVD releases to another resource.

#143 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 September 2012 - 04:47 AM

I am pretty sure Chars Counter Attack got a US release.

My trade list: http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=42397

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#144 Zaku77

Zaku77

Posted 07 September 2012 - 04:47 AM

Yeah it did. It had an original release that came with a slipcase, and an anime legends re-release.

Check out my youtube channel! I do video game collection updates, unboxings, final impressions, and intelligent game industry commentary.  Expect lots of collector's editions, as well as steelbooks from all over the world! :D

http://www.youtube.c...77?feature=mhee Twitter: https://twitter.com/Helldestroyer77

My Collection: https://docs.google....hvRG9LMlE#gid=0

#145 Kirin Lemon

Kirin Lemon

世界を革命する者

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 September 2012 - 05:17 AM

I am pretty sure Chars Counter Attack got a US release.

He was referring to Gundam ZZ, though I had to do a double-take on that one, too.
Posted Image

#146 Rogueleader17

Rogueleader17

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 September 2012 - 07:26 AM

He was referring to Gundam ZZ, though I had to do a double-take on that one, too.

Correct, to lazy to revise. Though I hope some day in the future that who ever rereleases it whether it be bandai japan or whoever that they finally give zz a release but I won't hold my breath because of how old it is.

tachikoma_02.gif"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes."

#147 Richard Kain

Richard Kain

Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:55 PM

Yeah, I left out some of the films that go along with the series. Char's Counterattack and F91 are probably the most essential items that I omitted. Very sad about Gundam ZZ (double zeta). A buddy of mine who is a huge Gundam nut is always complaining that they've never released it. He actually bought one of those knock-off sets from the Philippines just to get his hands on it.

And no, no sane person is interested in the SD Gundam crap. I might have to put Char's Counterattack and F91 in the shopping cart the next time I hit up right stuf.

#148 Squall835

Squall835

Gamer without fear!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 September 2012 - 03:06 PM

Yeah, I left out some of the films that go along with the series. Char's Counterattack and F91 are probably the most essential items that I omitted. Very sad about Gundam ZZ (double zeta). A buddy of mine who is a huge Gundam nut is always complaining that they've never released it. He actually bought one of those knock-off sets from the Philippines just to get his hands on it.

And no, no sane person is interested in the SD Gundam crap. I might have to put Char's Counterattack and F91 in the shopping cart the next time I hit up right stuf.

I really wish Char's Counterattack would be released on Blu-Ray, I love that movie. It's probably the only anime title that I would be willing to pay Japanese prices for; it's too bad the their release isn't subtitled.

#149 Vash1306

Vash1306

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 September 2012 - 06:32 PM

Credit to WTK

via RACS

Several people have written in a little confused about Bandai's announcement last week that they will stop shipping to retailers in November. Most people want to know "what's going to happen to all their titles"? We'll here's the deal - effective Nov of this year everything in Bandai's DVD and BD catalog will officially go out of print (as will their entire selection of manga in October). Bandai has said they intend to shop some of these licenses out, but that process is likely to be slow and their back-catalog is just way to big to be absorbed into the market by the rest of the industry as it stands, so while it's likely that a few of the premium licenses will eventually end up getting re-released by someone else (hey Sentai, please pick up K-On season 1, OK?), I imagine most of their catalog will simply go dark. Now that doesn't mean that all their releases will just vaporize in November - retailers like us are currently scrapping together as much money as we can find to do big final buy-ins on Bandai's remaining stock, and at least for us, we're hoping to stock some of their titles pretty deep assuming we can get them. Over the next 6-12 months I would expect prices to rise for OOP Bandai titles that end up getting bought up quickly and become a little harder to find. This will, of course, result in the same bitching and moaning characterizing any price increases as greed and averice from the usual suspects who couldn't be bothered to pull the trigger on these titles for the many years they were available at the regular prices. Oh joy, I can't wait to read those people comments! :-) But I also expect prices to decrease for a time on the titles that retailers choose poorly on and end up bringing in too much stock.

And before you ask, I have no idea what will become of Gundam - that series is an awfully big bite for another studio to try to take on. I fear the chances now that we'll ever see ZZ, Victory, or Turn a Gundam released in R1 are now pretty slim. ~sigh~

Anyway, we're going to go through the site during for the next couple of weeks and mark all Bandai releases as 'discontinued - limited to stock on hand' and also we'll be publishing a list shortly of all in stock Bandai titles so that you can see if there is anything you need before the lights go out in November.

#150 kayne2000

kayne2000

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 September 2012 - 07:45 PM

Credit to WTK

come on funimation and whoevers left(who else is there???) dont let us down acquire some of bandais stuff!!!