Google Play End of Summer Sale -- $0.99 Max Payne Mobile, Spirits, NOVA 3, & more

asheskitty

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
I just noticed (and couldn't find any other posts on) the Google Play End of Summer Sale. Ends Labor Day. Still going on, ends ???

The not-quite-complete sale page.

Amazon Free App of the Day: Quell Reflect (Wed, 6 Sept, till midnight PDT)

Games:

Apps:

Other Notables:

There might be other deals lurking. Max Payne Mobile isn't listed on the sale page oddly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Might want to note in the OP that Zen Bound 2 and Spirits were both in Humble Bundles (to give people a moment to think twice, preventing double purchases).

Thank OP, Picked up NOVA 3 and Swiftkey. Too bad Gangstar Rio is not available for T-mobile Galaxy S II otherwise I would pick that up too

I don't even have max Payne in my play store. Searched for it and got nothing. I have a AT&T galaxy s3. Thanks for the info though, going to get swift key and spirits. I almost upped my HIBfor android 3 donation amount just cause spirits looked fun but decided against it hoping for a sale like this. I wish there was another 10 cent sale as I missed out on that one, but this sale will suffice.

For those of you who didn't know (like me) there are two versions of Swiftkey 3. One for phones and one for tablets. Yes, the phone one works on tablets but it isn't really optimized for it.

Also, Crystal Defenders is down to $0.99 from $1.26. I am tempted to get it, but I hear it has a lot of crashing issues. Can anyone who has a touchpad with CM9 on it comment?

[quote name='Saix_XIII']For those of you who didn't know (like me) there are two versions of Swiftkey 3. One for phones and one for tablets. Yes, the phone one works on tablets but it isn't really optimized for it.

Also, Crystal Defenders is down to $0.99 from $1.26. I am tempted to get it, but I hear it has a lot of crashing issues. Can anyone who has a touchpad with CM9 on it comment?[/QUOTE]

No CM9 here but game does have an online check every time you play.

Thanks OP, picked up Max Payne, works great on my Nexus 7!

[quote name='Tallest-Midget']Virtua Tennis Challenge is actually really fun and looks good. (playing on a tablet)[/QUOTE]

Thanks! It looks tempting; I'll probably bite.

[quote name='randomevent']Thanks for the heads up. Went ahead and bought crystal defenders.[/QUOTE]
I my haste of putting together the post together, I hadn't noticed it was SquareEnix (and supposedly related to FF:Tactics). Thanks!

[quote name='EarthBoundX5']Might want to note in the OP that Zen Bound 2 and Spirits were both in Humble Bundles (to give people a moment to think twice, preventing double purchases).[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Done. I also reshuffled the lists to bubble the big name stuff to the top.

[quote name='delta75229']Thank OP, Picked up NOVA 3 and Swiftkey. Too bad Gangstar Rio is not available for T-mobile Galaxy S II otherwise I would pick that up too[/QUOTE]

[quote name='golfer']I don't even have max Payne in my play store. Searched for it and got nothing. I have a AT&T galaxy s3. Thanks for the info though, going to get swift key and spirits. I almost upped my HIBfor android 3 donation amount just cause spirits looked fun but decided against it hoping for a sale like this. I wish there was another 10 cent sale as I missed out on that one, but this sale will suffice.[/QUOTE]

That Play store whitelist/blacklist stuff is annoying. I have sometimes circumvented by buying and sideloading the apk from another device. That $0.10 was in December, I'm feeling confident that they'll have it again. The big publisher titles are somewhat the star of this sale, as those are less likely to break a buck. Some other deals are out of cycle; I picked up GTA III for $0.99 in March (St. Patty's Day?) The Greenlight Bundle added Android versions of Ichi, Samurai II Vengeance, Gunman Clive and Paper Monsters. CAG Thread if those interest you enough for $5.
[quote name='Saix_XIII']For those of you who didn't know (like me) there are two versions of Swiftkey 3. One for phones and one for tablets. Yes, the phone one works on tablets but it isn't really optimized for it. Also, Crystal Defenders is down to $0.99 from $1.26.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I updated the price. I have swiftkey 3 and a handful of others. My personal favorite on 7" tablets is Thumb Keyboard (not on sale, got as Amazon FOTD) as I like the extended layouts an ability to add a row of number keys at the top.

Last edited by a moderator:
Max Payne is not listed on the deal page because it actually is not part of this deal, but is a seperate Rockstar deal for android and ios. It does end on Labor Day as well.

I'll probably get a Nexus 7 soon but I don't currently have an Android device. Is there any way to buy something without an Android device?

[quote name='PenguinMaster']I'll probably get a Nexus 7 soon but I don't currently have an Android device. Is there any way to buy something without an Android device?[/QUOTE]

unfortunately no, that's still one area that iOS has Android beat

[quote name='PenguinMaster']I'll probably get a Nexus 7 soon but I don't currently have an Android device. Is there any way to buy something without an Android device?[/QUOTE]

You can register your google account on a friend's device. Even after you remove your account so he can't put his sticky hands all over your email you can still access the store on the web. I used to have an Android tablet. After wiping the device I left it attached to my account so that I can grab things that aren't compatible with my phone if I think I'll want them in the future.

If you don't have access to someone else's device and are a bit more computer savvy you may be able to access the store by downloading the Android SDK and using the emulator. Google around for more info on that.

I love these sales! gonna get that roConnect remote app for sure, maybe a few games. Thanks for consolidating this OP. That Gangsters Rio won't work on any of my 3 devices!

Oh and don't forget Horn is finally out. I grabbed it today and mind=blown.

[quote name='ddp72984']Is there an official thread for when android games go on sale? Kinda like the one we have for ios? Thanks[/QUOTE]

I found this thread. Its called the "Android games ongoing sales." http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254076

Nobody has touched it for almost a year though.

Edit: I also found this one called "The Official Android thread". It seems to get more traffic than the other one but its not dedicated only to sales. http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=269198&highlight=android

Regarding threads: I had poked around but I didn't see any particularly relevant threads, so I started this one. I've been around the PCDD threads for a few months and it seems customary for each major sale to have it's own thread (e.g. GamersGate Summer sale (4 weeks), U-Play $1 sale (4 days), Origin (5? days), etc). I find this handy for first post links as well as focused discussion. Per your implicit suggestion I put an announcement in the The Android Thread to notify interested CAGs that lurk there (as I had done in very social Steam Thread).

I hope you find something good in the sale! :grouphug:

[quote name='delta75229']Too bad Gangstar Rio is not available for T-mobile Galaxy S II otherwise I would pick that up too[/QUOTE]
Anyone know how good it is? I mean, it looks like a fantastic GTA clone; but it seems to have mixed ratings...

[quote name='asheskitty']Regarding threads: I had poked around but I didn't see any particularly relevant threads, so I started this one. I've been around the PCDD threads for a few months and it seems customary for each major sale to have it's own thread (e.g. GamersGate Summer sale (4 weeks), U-Play $1 sale (4 days), Origin (5? days), etc). I find this handy for first post links as well as focused discussion. Per your implicit suggestion I put an announcement in the The Android Thread to notify interested CAGs that lurk there (as I had done in very social Steam Thread).

I hope you find something good in the sale! :grouphug:[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I prefer when each sale has its own individual thread. I dont like how the indie bundles have their own thread but they keep updating when a new bundle comes out. Then you have to read the OP and search through the rest of the pages to find where people are talking about the current bundle.

Not totally the right thread for this but some EA games actually downloaded and installed on my HP touch pad with CM9. I was surprised game of life actually worked. Hot Pursuit and ME3 also installed but not NBA Jams or Dead Space. Hopefully the compatibility will come soon for those as well.
Note: Only game of life is on sale.

I noticed there was a slightly different version of The Game of Life -- $0.87 (EA Nederland BV) Based on URL parsing the other version seems to be NA for North America, this version is ROW (Rest of World?) This appears legit. Last update date is the same as the other, but it is one bug rev lower (1.2.07 vs 1.2.08). Added to OP under "Other Notables"

[quote name='ilifecomputer']What do you CAGers think about NOVA? I picked up Tennis (it's awesome) and swiftkey (also amazing).[/QUOTE]

I picked up nova for my iPad a couple days ago for .99 cents. I have played games like call of mini: zombies and black ops: zombies extensively on my iPad, so I have a decent grasp on the touch controls. I personally thought nova was difficult to control on the 10 inch iPad. I couldn't imagine having to play it a phone. If you have a tablet 7 inches or over I would say it is well worth it. I have only played the first couple of missions and haven't touched the multiplayer yet. So maybe the controls will grow on me but when I played it I found myself hitting buttons I wasn't trying to hit causing me to either reload or change my weapon when I did not want to.

In short I think its worth it if you have a tablet to play it on. A phone, probably not.

Does anyone here know if they're going to update the list or add anymore games...or if this is all there is?

picked up draw race 2, used to have the first draw race on my previous phone, but the sequel looks much better, so i bit. contemplating max payne, although i really wish it were GTA3 instead...thanks for the heads up OP...

[quote name='Rodster']What is Swiftkey?[/QUOTE]

It's an awesome virtual keyboard on your phone. It's supposed to learn how you type, therefor predicting your words much more accurately than the standard android keyboard. I've had it since yesterday and I am quite impressed with it. I have a galaxy s3 and was using the android keyboard with word predictions turned off cause they never worked for me. So far swift key is working out great. Click on the link in the OP and it'll take you to the google play store where you can read much more about it and watch a YouTube video explaining all of its features.

For anyone that does buy it, there are two different typing styles that it recognizes. One is "precise" the other is "rapid". I had mine set to rapid at first and was not impressed with it at all because it was completing my words before I even finished them. After switching it to precise, it became much more useful. Keep that in mind if you do buy it, I was sort of frustrated at first but I believe it actually does learn your typing style and you just have to give it a chance before you go on and delete it. Great buy for .99 cents if you aren't happy with your current keyboard.

Thanks headpiece747 added your Big Fish to the OP. Added Deerhunter as well.

My personal haul so far:
Max Payne
Virtua Tennis
Spirits
Crystal Defenders
NOVA 3 (mostly to see the state of a current glitzy FPS)

Debating:
The Game of Life
Modern Combat 3
Draw Race 2

I really wish Gangstar Rio was listed as compatable on the Nexus 7, possible workarounds to get it seem like more trouble than they may be worth (and I already have GTA III)

Already owned: Swiftkey & Beautiful Widgets (from the Dec $0.10 sale)

Anyone have any recommendations on the Big Fish Games? I hadn't realized they had so many now. A little while ago there were just a couple and most were iOS only now there's 3 pages worth. I'm interested but don't know where to start.

Unfortunately, they are on Big Fish Published games and not games that happen to be on Big Fish so no Coconut Queen mobile. :p

Oh and I like Life so far. You can play with multiple people (up to 4) in person by passing the device around when the turns change. It's nice to have a game with localized multiplayer like that though it seems like it's better suited for a tablet (or at least a Phablet) than a smaller phone.

[quote name='Motoki']Anyone have any recommendations on the Big Fish Games? I hadn't realized they had so many now. A little while ago there were just a couple and most were iOS only now there's 3 pages worth. I'm interested but don't know where to start.

Unfortunately, they are on Big Fish Published games and not games that happen to be on Big Fish so no Coconut Queen mobile. :p

Oh and I like Life so far. You can play with multiple people (up to 4) in person by passing the device around when the turns change. It's nice to have a game with localized multiplayer like that though it seems like it's better suited for a tablet (or at least a Phablet) than a smaller phone.[/QUOTE]

Broke down and bought Atlantis Sky Patrol HD it is a Zuma clone if you have played that before. Here is a video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrG_0dLJ5Dg&feature=player_embedded

Wanted to pick up Game of Life and Draw Race 2 but they are both incompatible with my Sony Tablet S:wall:.

[quote name='Motoki']Anyone have any recommendations on the Big Fish Games? I hadn't realized they had so many now. A little while ago there were just a couple and most were iOS only now there's 3 pages worth. I'm interested but don't know where to start.[/QUOTE]

I haven't played the Android versions, but the PC versions of the Empress of The Deep and Azada games are really good. Empress of The Deep is a hidden object/adventure game in an interesting setting while the Azada games feature a bunch of traditional puzzles, kind of like the old 7th Guest/11th Hour games. If you're looking for something different, Life Quest is similar to the Sims games.

Just wanted to say that Virtua Tennis runs like butter on the ATT S3 but Nova runs kinda like ass on it. I mean as soon as there are enemies on the screen doing things it is like 10-20fps. Not bad for a buck, i suppose. But wow Tennis is really great pickup.

Bought Crystal Defenders and Swiftkey. Coincidentally, my Swiftkey trial was going to expire on the 6th, so I was very happy to only have to pay $0.99 to continue using it. As much as I miss Swype, I find myself going back to fix words a lot less.

bread's done
Back