Photo
- - - - -

What classic games are at the top of your to-do list??

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#31 no_chocobo

no_chocobo

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:31 AM

I've finally started playing grandia II after like 12 years of wanting to
Posted Image
Posted Image

#32 ryosnk

ryosnk

I'm a super patriot.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:31 AM

Panzer dragoon saga is atop of my to-do list. I played half way through and stopped so I can play my new system at that time, dreamcast.

#33 Halo05

Halo05

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:05 PM

I've been getting back into the Sega Saturn in a big way. I was introduced to the world of import gaming by way of the Saturn back in 1997 and overall I think the system still has my favorite library of games of all time. Most of my Saturn stuff is buried in my parents basement but after buying another Japanese Saturn off eBay, I'm back into collecting and playing the games. I even got an old CRT TV off Craigslist to play the system on. An S-video cable is in the mail. The stuff that I'm bidding on on eBay ranges from rare variants of games that I already have (looking for that standalone Street Fighter Zero 2 Dash), games I stupidly sold back in the day (hello D&D collection), and stuff that will be new to me (Saturn port of Metal Slug, Saturn port of Strikers 1945 II).

All I have here in my apartment with the Saturn right now is the still-great Samurai Shodown/Spirits III. Love that RAM cart.

As many of you know, black ops 2 is plaid with bugs, lag etc which many people have been suffering including me.

plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid

#34 Josh5890

Josh5890

For AC New Leaf 3DS- 3110-4025-7228

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:37 AM

I've been working on FF VIII since 2008 or so. I'm at the end of disc 3 but I'm still not done yet.

#35 whataboutbob?

whataboutbob?

Thats what she said

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:39 AM

Adventure of Link. I almost beat it as a kid, but never finished. I started playing it again recently and it is much more difficult than I remember. Time to buckle down.

Finally finished off Zelda 2: Adventure of Link. Man, that was rough! Cant imagine beating dark link without using the cheapskate method. It was fun, but it definitely is a black sheep among zelda games deservedly so. More stressful than fun imo. Now i think im going to work on the master quest from Zelda 1. Never really gave it much of a chance

#36 Acrypt

Acrypt

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:42 AM

Mainly just all of the classic point-and-click adventure games.

Monkey Island series, Gabriel Knight, Leisure Suit Larry, King's Quest, etc.

Wasn't really into those types of games until recently. Aside from that, I've also recently gotten into games like Saints Row, Sleeping Dogs, Grand Theft Auto, etc. so need to play some of the older stuff like GTA1-2, Yakuza series, so on and so forth.

And the Half-Life games. Need to play those at some point.

#37 Halo05

Halo05

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:54 AM

Finally finished off Zelda 2: Adventure of Link. Man, that was rough! Cant imagine beating dark link without using the cheapskate method. It was fun, but it definitely is a black sheep among zelda games deservedly so. More stressful than fun imo. Now i think im going to work on the master quest from Zelda 1. Never really gave it much of a chance

I think Adventure of Link is very underrated. It stands as the one Zelda game that is actually difficult. All the rest can stump you here and there but you can always FAQ your way through them. The combat in Adventure of Link is just something that you have to practice at. It isn't my favorite in the franchise (LTTP wins that I think) but it's probably in second or third.

As many of you know, black ops 2 is plaid with bugs, lag etc which many people have been suffering including me.

plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid

#38 crowbb

crowbb

Watch out for snakes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:20 PM

I just finished playing through the original Bard's Tale again. I also want to get a Wasteland play through done before Wasteland 2 comes out.

I also recently bought a Tankstick that unfortunately arrived damaged. Can't wait for the replacement to show up so I can play some classic arcade side-scrolling beat 'em ups. First on my list would be Cadillacs and Dinosaurs and Spider-Man the arcade game. Neither is the best in the category but I haven't played them in a looooong time.

#39 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:14 PM

I own every Zelda game, some multiple times over when you factor in Virtual Console, the Gamecube Collector's Edition, re-releases... I think I actually own OoT in 5 forms (N64, CE, Master Quest disc, VC, 3DS)...

But I never really played any of them. I've started them and messed around a bit, but not really "played" them. I was looking through all the VC games I've bought and not finished when I just decided to dive into the original LoZ.

I didn't want to use a walkthrough, even though in the past I've been confused about where to go and whatnot (which is why I've given up on the game so many times, after finishing the first dungeon). Thankfully on the GameFAQs board, I found some links to scans of the original map that came with the NES version. Those were a good starting point. I started the game up last night, and played all the way until I finished the second dungeon. I'm looking forward to keeping at it until I finish it.

#40 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:11 PM

LoZ update: I got to the seventh dungeon last night, all the way up to the point where I realized I needed to buy some food to get past the "Grumble, grumble" part. I'll have to try to get that today, and hopefully finish the game in the next couple days.

#41 Rodimus

Rodimus

I'm Different

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:12 PM

I watched the Gametrailers retrospective of Metroid and now I really want to play the Prime series again. Luckly I have a friend who has the trilogy for Wii.

#42 binici

binici

www.TheTradeBox.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:32 PM

So many games, so little time!

#43 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:49 AM

I finished the first Zelda. Good stuff. I started Kirby's Adventure on the Virtual Console. I had never played it before. It's actually the first Kirby I've ever played. It's okay. I'm not sure if I'll stick with it to finish it, though.

#44 b3b0p

b3b0p

Where's r0ckst34dy?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:01 AM

I wouldn't waste my time on Xenogears. It's long, boring, repetitive and beyond grind fest.

After you play Donkey Kong Country and Donkey Kong Country 2, Donkey Kong Country 3 is repetitive, boring, and more of the same old thing.

I agree with most of the other choices in this thread. Super Metroid and Super Castlevania especially.

Anyone else find SMB3 without the flutes and continue/save from the GBA version extremely difficult?

My list:

1. TMNT NES
2. Star Tropics
3. Capcom Disney Games NES
4. Dracula's Curse NES
5. More NES Games
6. Quackshot

#45 Richard Kain

Richard Kain

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:39 PM

My list:

1. TMNT NES
2. Star Tropics
3. Capcom Disney Games NES
4. Dracula's Curse NES
5. More NES Games
6. Quackshot

Quick warning, you are NEVER going to get through TMNT on the NES. The first TMNT game for the NES is balls-out hard. Your best bet for finishing that game is to play it on an emulator with save states. It's in the same league as the Ninja Gaiden games.

#46 whataboutbob?

whataboutbob?

Thats what she said

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:06 PM

I just made it through on Breath of Fire for SNES. Man, that felt good. As for the classics I'd like to get through...

Super Metroid, Final Fantasy 3 (6), Secret of Mana, and Mega Man 3.

If you haven't played FF6 or Secret of Mana yet I highly recommend dropping whatever you're playing now and jumping straight into either of those. Those 2 are literally my favorite games of all time...and not sure which i like more out of the 2. They are both soooooo good.

#47 Metal Militia

Metal Militia

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:11 PM

I still need to play Castlevania: Symphony of the Night  8-[

Posted Image

#48 whataboutbob?

whataboutbob?

Thats what she said

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:42 AM

I still need to play Castlevania: Symphony of the Night 8-[

Trying to finish up 999 right now and thinking about starting SotN on psp tomorrow. Played about an hr of it in the past and enjoyed it, but just never made it back around to it. But who knows, I'll probably get sidetracked by some other game on my ever increasing pile of shame. I'm ready for next gen to get here bc I'm going to consider it a clean slate on all my unplayed games from this gen :)

#49 b3b0p

b3b0p

Where's r0ckst34dy?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 June 2013 - 03:55 AM

Quick warning, you are NEVER going to get through TMNT on the NES. The first TMNT game for the NES is balls-out hard. Your best bet for finishing that game is to play it on an emulator with save states. It's in the same league as the Ninja Gaiden games.

My best friend did it the day we convinced my mom to buy it for me. It's possible. He did the same for Ghosts and Goblins. 

#50 Macheezmo

Macheezmo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:52 PM

I finally got my game room set up so now I need to play through some games I've always wanted to play.  I think my first few games are going to be:

Jet Force Gemini.  I picked this up a while ago and have never played it, but I constantly hear about how great it is

Majora's Mask.  This is one of the only Zelda games I never played

Startropics 2.  Loved the first one, got this for Christmas last year

Super C.  Played a lot when I was a kid, never finished it

I'll figure out where to go from there

#51 R. Kasahara

R. Kasahara

The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:40 PM

Do PC games count? I have Half-Life (among other old games) in my Steam backlog and have been meaning to play it sometime before the end of the year.

My best friend did it the day we convinced my mom to buy it for me. It's possible. He did the same for Ghosts and Goblins.

Your best friend sounds like a gaming beast. Did he get through Battletoads, too?

sig.gif
2014 Completed Games

:-({|=  The Video Game Soundtrack Deals Thread ~ Where and how to buy game music online. Oh, and deals, too!
:whee: The Official PAX Prime (and possibly East) 2014 Thread ~ It's that time again!

#52 Richard Kain

Richard Kain

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:57 PM

Do PC games count? I have Half-Life (among other old games) in my Steam backlog and have been meaning to play it sometime before the end of the year.

Of course PC games count. If you are looking into playing the original Half Life, I would strongly recommend the Black Mesa mod. It is essentially a reconstruction/retelling of the original Half Life using the Source Engine. It's updated graphics make getting into the original Half Life story a bit easier than going with the standard original version. Ideally, I would say try both, but who has the time these days?

I'm playing through Muramasa: Rebirth on the Vita. I had started the Wii version of the game years ago, but didn't get very far into it. The Vita is a great platform fit for this title, and I'm now through the first character's story arc. (around 50% through the game) I'm glad I revisited this one, it is well worth playing.

#53 R. Kasahara

R. Kasahara

The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:15 PM

Of course PC games count. If you are looking into playing the original Half Life, I would strongly recommend the Black Mesa mod. It is essentially a reconstruction/retelling of the original Half Life using the Source Engine. It's updated graphics make getting into the original Half Life story a bit easier than going with the standard original version. Ideally, I would say try both, but who has the time these days?

Thanks for the rec, but my plan is to play through the original version. I played through Dark Forces earlier this year, so I'm sure I'll be just fine with an unmodded Half-Life :)

(That's not to say I might not look into mods later, though; we'll see.)
sig.gif
2014 Completed Games

:-({|=  The Video Game Soundtrack Deals Thread ~ Where and how to buy game music online. Oh, and deals, too!
:whee: The Official PAX Prime (and possibly East) 2014 Thread ~ It's that time again!