Renew your Gamer's Club Unlocked Membership and get 250 RZ Points ($5)

BudzMcGee

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
I haven't seen anyone else post this so I thought I'd just mention it since many of us signed up the first day we could last year and our subscription is almost up.

Got an email about a week ago stating that if we renew our Gamer's Club Unlocked membership "before it expires" that we will receive 250 Reward Zone points ($5) for doing so. Effectively making the yearly membership only $10 (an even sweeter deal for those of us paying for the membership with trade in credit). There didn't appear to be a special link or anything like that, and the easiest way to renew would probably be when you are already buying something else (if your membership is almost expired it will prompt the cashier to ask if you would like to renew when you use your RZ card while checking out). Remember to grab a copy of this month's issue when you do!

A nice bonus for singing up for an already great program.

I tried renewing yesterday and the cashier was clueless and told me to go to customer service. I didn't have time but I've got another week or so before it runs out and will be back in there before then.

I renewed the other day, hope I get the 250 points. Does it state how long it will take to get the points because I never got said email.

[quote name='Saix_XIII']I renewed the other day, hope I get the 250 points. Does it state how long it will take to get the points because I never got said email.[/QUOTE]

Did not. Only time frame mentioned was that it had to be before your membership expired. 30 days for points is usually pretty standard, promo points can sometimes take longer.

I renewed mine last weekend (8/25).. it was the usual gaming guy I see all the time. He was looking in the system and didn't see any special way to renew it, so he just signed me up for another year (I wasn't purchasing anything at the time, but knew my membership would expire soon). I went in yesterday to buy something and the gaming guy asked me if I wanted to renew my membership..so apparently, it hasn't updated yet? I'm not sure. I didn't have a problem with my magazines or anything the first time around.. hopefully it updates and continues on without any issues.

[quote name='chriscolbert']I tried renewing yesterday and the cashier was clueless and told me to go to customer service. I didn't have time but I've got another week or so before it runs out and will be back in there before then.[/QUOTE]

If your store has one of the big touchscreen information displays for gaming (my store has it on an endcap), you can search for and print out the slip for GCU renewal to take to the register.

For the record, I am also a silver member but in no way did it make it sound like that's why I got the email. What was sent to me;

Just to remind you, your membership to Reward Zone® Gamers Club Unlocked is scheduled to expire on 09/11/2012. Renew your membership to continue receiving your great benefits. Renew your annual membership for $14.99 before it expires and you'll receive 250 bonus points
(a $5 reward certificate¹)
. So power up, hit start and renew your membership right away. Reward Zone Gamers Club Unlocked benefits include: • Bonus points on new game software, including digital content, and accessory purchases • 10% bonus credit on your trade-in video games • 10% off all pre-owned games • Free year-long subscription to @Gamer magazine, the exclusive gaming magazine • Exclusive Reward Zone Gamers Club Unlocked offers

Renewed mine yesterday afternoon, just got an email about 10 minutes ago 'thanking me for reloading.' No mention of 250 points in the email and nothing showing on my account...yet. I'm Premier Silver too so I guess we'll see.

[quote name='lawdood']Renewed mine yesterday afternoon, just got an email about 10 minutes ago 'thanking me for reloading.' No mention of 250 points in the email and nothing showing on my account...yet. I'm Premier Silver too so I guess we'll see.[/QUOTE]
Just got the same email.

I renewed early, in July, because I didn't want magazines to lapse. I didn't receive any bonus points or even the renewal/sign up coupons I think we are suppose to get.

So maybe the bonus points is a new thing and the coupons were just for the first sign up last year?

Tagged to remind me to look into this. I don't expire until December, but if I can get $5 back for renewing, it's a no-brainer.

[quote name='Brother Daz']Just got the same email.[/QUOTE]
Me too, but i checked my current subscription on @gamer site and it doesn't say renew, so I'm worried that it'll start a new subscription, and it'll be a 2 months lapsed. It's not bad since u can go to the store and ask for a copy but it's just a hassle. I hope that's not the case.

Wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't the most efficient process. I signed up in September last year and it took 6-8 weeks to even reflect on my account, let alone to get any coupons or magazines. Of course, that won't stop my sub from expiring in September, so here's hoping they got their shit together.

I called up RZ and told them about the email and that I just renewed 2 days ago. Just wanted my account noted just in case the system does not automatically give me the 250 points. He looked at my account, told me to log out and log back in. I figured he was just going to give me the 250 points, but for some reason he was nice and actually gave me 750 ($15) worth of points.

When I renewed in July, I think it took about 2 weeks before my GCU status at RZ website changed expiration to October 1, 2013 from Sept 2012.

If I was to renew my subscription now, before it expires in October, would a new subscription period begin on the date of renewal or would the new year simply kick in when the October date comes around?

[quote name='loomis1975']When I renewed in July, I think it took about 2 weeks before my GCU status at RZ website changed expiration to October 1, 2013 from Sept 2012.[/QUOTE]Uh...I guess that answers my question. #-o

[quote name='confoosious']I wonder if the 250 points is only if you hold off on renewing till the last minute.[/QUOTE]This is kind of why I'm hesitant to renew right away; I don't want to forget to renew (I hope I get the email so I won't have to worry about that :roll:), and I also want those 250 points.

Just got back from BBY and updated my membership. They just scanned the barcode from the flyer and it is already updated on the RZ website that my membership goes through 9/23/13. Painless once I knew what to do.

I renewed today, as in like 20 minutes ago, and it already says my membership goes till 2013. Hopefully it will be seemless as I'm not a new member, just simply continued my subscription. Got an extra copy of this month's magazine along with it, cause why not?

I will post if/when my 250 points gets added. I copied everything the email said to me (it was sent from rewardzone by the way), so that's all I know. As I said, I am a silver member and I got this about 2 weeks ago so the email came about a month out from my subscription running out. All the info I have to give.

[quote name='cancerman1120']Just got back from BBY and updated my membership. They just scanned the barcode from the flyer and it is already updated on the RZ website that my membership goes through 9/23/13. Painless once I knew what to do.[/QUOTE]

What flyer did you use? I got the email saying my membership ends soon (no mention of the 250 RWZ points though) but there's no link or barcode.

I got the original email about renewing and getting 250 RZ points on 8/12. One month before my expiration on 9/12. Even asked about it here http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9908819&postcount=2613 but no one responded. I also received the "Restart your quest" email today, but it didn't mention anything about the 250 RZ points. Hopefully they make goo on this and I don't have to call them.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ratedpg131987']Does anybody know if you will also get the buy 2 get 1 free coupons with the renewal[/QUOTE]

I remember reading someone saying you get the packet of coupons when you renew. My membership hasn't renewed yet though, so I can't speak first-hand.

[quote name='confoosious']I wonder if the 250 points is only if you hold off on renewing till the last minute.[/QUOTE]
I waited pretty long but never received the email for 250 pts. Since my gamer unlocked ended on Sept 11, I renewed it this weekend to avoid a break in service that may have jeopardized the $20 reward cert from Madden 13.

No warning email, no 250 pts email, and still no coupons for September (I'm a digital subscriber).

[quote name='Gamer4life88']What flyer did you use? I got the email saying my membership ends soon (no mention of the 250 RWZ points though) but there's no link or barcode.[/QUOTE]

Sorry. Just the flyers they have at gaming for new GCU. It is the tri folded ones that also show the games you can get the $20 cert this fall.

i renewed the day Darksiders II came out (8/14), when the gaming employee rang me up the computer said would i like to renew, i said yes, he scanned something and i was charged $14.99, reward zone site still says good thru 9/13/12 and no 250 points added yet.

I received an email a couple weeks back about joining gcu by 9/8 amd receiving a $5 cert...but ive been gcu since december o__o

[quote name='Captain Andreas']i renewed the day Darksiders II came out (8/14), when the gaming employee rang me up the computer said would i like to renew, i said yes, he scanned something and i was charged $14.99, reward zone site still says good thru 9/13/12 and no 250 points added yet.[/QUOTE]

Did you have your RZ card scanned also? My status updated by the time I got home.

They better just auto-renew mine for free like they do my silver account, despite the fact that I never spend the required amount. I buy a lot of games at BB, so they better hook me up for free and automatically.

[quote name='MIX_MASTER_ICE']They better just auto-renew mine for free like they do my silver account, despite the fact that I never spend the required amount. I buy a lot of games at BB, so they better hook me up for free and automatically.[/QUOTE]

?

[quote name='cancerman1120']Sorry. Just the flyers they have at gaming for new GCU. It is the tri folded ones that also show the games you can get the $20 cert this fall.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info, I'm going to try and renew sometime this week. Hopefully everything will go smoothly.

I received the email on 9/1 to renew, but I'm not sure how to do it. I was at two different Best Buys on Sunday, as well as today - when I bought something with my RZ card, the prompt came up asking if I wanted to renew, and the person put in "yes" (there wasn't another option), but the price showed $0.00. I'm assuming that wouldn't actually work, since it wasn't $14.99. Is the best way to do it with the kiosk as someone mentioned?

I renewed 8/22 but it wasn't updating on my RZ so I called them today and they guy "applied" the purchase to my account. Now it is good til 9/3/2013 but it should have been 9/21/2013 since my current sub expires on 9/21/2012. Other people are having problems if you look at the BB forums. It has been reported that it will update as soon as the current sub expires.

I just have to sort out this whole mess with my losing days that I paid for and make sure I get the 250 RZ points.

So my renewal is due by 10/1 as well but I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I was going to reserve Halo 4 to get the $20 back. But I have had so many problems receiving my issues that my subscription to the magazine got extended through September of 13. I don't really trade in any games so I don't know if it's worth it to spend the $15... $10 would make it a lot easier.

[quote name='raarar']So my renewal is due by 10/1 as well but I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I was going to reserve Halo 4 to get the $20 back. But I have had so many problems receiving my issues that my subscription to the magazine got extended through September of 13. I don't really trade in any games so I don't know if it's worth it to spend the $15... $10 would make it a lot easier.[/QUOTE]

If Halo 4 is the ONLY game you are going to buy then it make not be worth it since you will still get the mag. The thing is they are doing a lot of stuff like the Max Payne coupon where the GCU member gets $30 instead of $20. It will really depend on how much you plan to buy. For me the $15 has been paid back numerous times over just on trade in and buying used.

Mine's one of the renewals that were screwed up. I did mine on 8/19 and it still says it expires 9/26. I called the Silver hotline and was dropped twice after waiting a half hour each time. I also posted on the boards. I guess I need to call a third time.

[quote name='cancerman1120']Did you have your RZ card scanned also? My status updated by the time I got home.[/QUOTE]

yeah, I'm silver so i make sure i get my card scanned for the extras.

A BB mod will sort out everything here, post ?'s
http://forums.bestbuy.com/t5/Reward...-Bonus-RZ-points-for-renewing-GCU/td-p/570878

[quote name='ratedpg131987']Does anybody know if you will also get the buy 2 get 1 free coupons with the renewal[/QUOTE]Yes, you will get a new welcome kit with coupons. Once they have the welcome kits avail in-store you'll be able to get them on the spot. Even if you're already subscribed there will be times that a person would pay the $15 to get another b2g1 when there's a good enuf sale:D
http://forums.bestbuy.com/t5/Best-B...n-packs-should-be-avail-in-store/idi-p/510811

[quote name='raarar']So my renewal is due by 10/1 as well but I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I was going to reserve Halo 4 to get the $20 back. But I have had so many problems receiving my issues that my subscription to the magazine got extended through September of 13. I don't really trade in any games so I don't know if it's worth it to spend the $15... $10 would make it a lot easier.[/QUOTE]How many games do you buy is the real thing to look at not trades. If you're gonna be 2+ $5 mags in a yr to get the $5-$15 games then you need to subscribe also you get 2X RZ points on your game purchases too.

Hmmm - I never got this email and mine expires in less than a week.

I'm not sure if I want to renew. The only thing I use it for is the magazine coupons. It definitely was worth it last year, but I just have a feeling the coupons won't be as great going forward. I dunno...

It just seems that paying cash to renew is just, well, wrong, you know? Renewing GS PUR Pro is a no-brainer because it is all credit and I get that back many times over just from trades. But Best Buy made some random decision in Dec/Jan that I couldn't trade any more (I think I hit their undisclosed limit of 50 or 100 games traded in - of course they can't give me a definitive reason) so I haven't had credit there for a while. As a result shop there much less - only when there's something like the current BF3 coupon/Witcher 2 RZ deal.

I would renew it if this $5 RZ deal was a guarantee - but it seems like maybe it was only offered to some people? The odd thing is that up till a few weeks ago they bugged me every time I checked out to renew my Gamers Club since a message popped up on the register letting them know I was about to expire. When I bought Kid Icarus today I noticed that not only did they not ask me to renew, it never even popped up a message saying I was part of GCU let alone that it was about to expire. I should still be good through Sept. 11 and I did get the last magazine in the mail (yep - just checked RZ online and it says Sept. 11).

bread's done
Back