Inside Look into Gamestop

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#31 Spokker

Spokker

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:33 AM

At least she cared, usually these threads are full of stories like "are you sure you want to buy GTA for your 8-year-old? there's lots of violence and bad words and hookers and stuff and--"

It has been established that video games do not contribute to the level of violence in a society, so why care about this?

I was very glad to have been able to get my hands on games like Doom and Duke when I was 12. It is becoming harder and harder for a boy growing up today to have that kind of freedom.

#32 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:09 AM

Instead of making my own thread I'll just post this here:

Several weeks back I was behind a "concerned mother." She was asking about Assassins Creed III and what the rating would be. The clerk didn't know since it was still a few months away but she assumed it would be a "M" rating. The mom kept asking questions which seemed like an hour. Hounding the poor clerk for a website to confirm the rating. While flipping through the PS2 rack waiting for my turn I overheard this:

"He could play the last one that came out (referring to Revelations) They only said "damned". But the other two had too much cursing."

Killing, assassination, murder are okay, but you throw in the "F-bomb" and it's just too much. Not only that but all three games are virtually identical when it comes to content. My mind was blown. Bad words and sex are taboo, but desensitizing your child to violence is okay? I was struggling not to say something but I figured I'd mind my own business and keep my mouth shut.

Then there's the times the employees have to spend 30 minutes describing the sex scenes (in full detail) of Dragon Age 2 & AC: Brotherhood b/c slicing people/monsters into bloody chunks or stabbing people is ok, but SEX?!, WON'T SOMEONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN?!

Listen to the Checkmate Arcade video game podcast! Also available on ITunes, Stitcher Radio, or YouTube.
42869.png

#33 TealPavelski

TealPavelski

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 September 2012 - 07:42 PM

Here is an EVEN better inside look at GameStop.

Posted Image
607033.png

#34 Richard Kain

Richard Kain

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:23 PM

Here is an EVEN better inside look at GameStop.

That's not a GameStop, the PC-Game section is too big.

#35 ElwoodCuse

ElwoodCuse

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 September 2012 - 08:25 AM

It has been established that video games do not contribute to the level of violence in a society, so why care about this?

I was very glad to have been able to get my hands on games like Doom and Duke when I was 12. It is becoming harder and harder for a boy growing up today to have that kind of freedom.

Because it's good for parents to be involved in what kind of media their children consume. Parents. Not governments.
But when his drinking and lusting and his hunger for power became known to more and more people, the demands to do something about this outrageous man became louder and louder.

#36 mrx001

mrx001

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:32 AM

Gamestop would be 100X better if there was self check out or transform the store into huge vending machine that multiple people can use at the same time.

#37 pseudonem

pseudonem

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2012 - 03:20 PM

Just wanted to say that all three of the gamestops near me gut games, sell games that are scratched to shit, and sell systems that contain the previous owner's information (x-box live account, psn, credit card, etc...).

FYI, those stores are Stephenville, TX; Granbury, TX; and Cleburne, TX. Seems like the company's supposed policies don't extend very far south...

It'll be interesting to see if this (or any!) online roll playing game can dethrone Ultima Online. I also hear that Blizzard's working on something but I can't see that doing any better for them then Diablo has.

fs_overall.png

#38 Rodimus

Rodimus

I'm Different

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:54 PM

A little off topic but GS related: A friend- who used to work at GS told me they would reject selling customers brand new games who didn't prorder. Even though they had them in stock he said his manger told them to lie and say they didn't have any left and they should've preordered.

I wasn't surprised by this but I wanted to ask anyone associated with GS if this is a comman practice or isolated incident?

#39 Kazaganthi

Kazaganthi

Blue Rogue

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:58 PM

Just wanted to say that all three of the gamestops near me gut games, sell games that are scratched to shit, and sell systems that contain the previous owner's information (x-box live account, psn, credit card, etc...).

FYI, those stores are Stephenville, TX; Granbury, TX; and Cleburne, TX. Seems like the company's supposed policies don't extend very far south...

Or West. I've never heard of a good Gamestop, even got crusted snot on my game discs from them.

#40 FaintDeftone

FaintDeftone

Zelda Fanatic

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 September 2012 - 02:32 AM

I actually didn't know Gamestop had a refurbish center. I figured all games just simply came from customer and straight to the shelf. I thought this was really interesting.

As far as Gamestop, I usually only use them to trade in games to buy new ones on release date, or to preorder consoles (since their preorder system basically acts like a free lay-a-away). I have had some issues with them in the past, but nothing that totally prevents me from never visiting again. People have good reasons not to like the company, but they are far from horrible.

#41 Richard Kain

Richard Kain

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:09 PM

I've noticed something about some of the GameStops in my area. They are beginning to transfer previous-generation stock out of their stores. One of the stores now no longer caries pre-owned DS cartridges in their boxes. They still sell pre-owned bare cartridges on their own, but all the boxed pre-owned DS games have been transfered out.

Several of the stores have transferred their PS2 games, and no longer carry those, boxes or no. GameCube games have been missing from most of the stores for a while. It seems rumors of GameStop moving their legacy stock to a central location for on-line sales might be true.