"The new iPhone"

crunchewy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
34 (100%)
Leaked shot of the box shows the front and sides. Note the additional row of icons, so it is indeed taller. The front otherwise looks very similar to the current iPhone, but from other leaks (which are probably real), the back is two-tone aluminum. Also the name is indeed "The new iPhone", or really just "iPhone".

iPhone-5-a_thumb.png

Being taller is good for landscape web browsing (and for seeing more icons, of course) and widescreen videos, but it does mean there's a new aspect ratio and resolution, so I guess existing iPhone apps are going to be letterboxed until they are updated.

I haven't seen or heard any pricing information, unless I just haven't been looking at the right places. Any info on that front?

[quote name='shosh']im gonna go out on a limb and say its gonna be price like the last, oh i dunno, 5 iphones?[/QUOTE]

I have never purchased an iPhone and am unaware of their pricing structure, so please oh wise ass one, please enrich me with your knowledge.

[quote name='crunchewy']Being taller is good for landscape web browsing (and for seeing more icons, of course) and widescreen videos, but it does mean there's a new aspect ratio and resolution, so I guess existing iPhone apps are going to be letterboxed until they are updated.[/QUOTE]

You mean pillarboxed.

And I really hope it's not called the iPhone 5, since it's the 6th iPhone. That's really, really been bugging me.

If pricing and capacity is like the 4S, it'll be $199 for 16GB, $299 for 32GB and $399 for 64GB. With a 2 year contract, of course.

[quote name='HydroX']I have never purchased an iPhone and am unaware of their pricing structure, so please oh wise ass one, please enrich me with your knowledge.[/QUOTE]

:lol:

Thx for the pic, crunch.

[quote name='crunchewy']

Being taller is good for landscape web browsing (and for seeing more icons, of course) and widescreen videos, but it does mean there's a new aspect ratio and resolution, so I guess existing iPhone apps are going to be letterboxed until they are updated.[/QUOTE]
Apple better put out the new iOS with the phones. Developers wont be happy if they have to code for a new screensize and then go back to add in new iOS features :lol:

Honestly, the design seems like an afterthought to me. I'm up for a new phone and I'm waiting until this all works itself out. Apple build quality is great, but iOS is just boring to me. Android is nice with customization, but you need a higher end phone to really not have "lag" issues...although, for $200 on contract, that is a high-end Android.

The WP8 is intriguing me also.....curious how that will work out. Just not sure how much support they get.

So is the form factor the same with a bigger screen or is the whole thing bigger than the iPhone 4? I'm not sure what I was expecting but this seems kind of boring. I guess we are at the point of diminishing returns now. Increased processing power is always a good thing and since I skipped the iPhone 4S this should feel like a nice upgrade...

I just hope they implement more jailbreak features into iOS. All I really need is enhanced folders, 5 columns, the ability to rename icons, the ability to easily move icons, the ability to add icons to the bottom row and the ability to close all apps at once. SBSettings would be sweet too. *sigh* Never going to happen...

[quote name='Javery']So is the form factor the same with a bigger screen or is the whole thing bigger than the iPhone 4? I'm not sure what I was expecting but this seems kind of boring. I guess we are at the point of diminishing returns now. Increased processing power is always a good thing and since I skipped the iPhone 4S this should feel like a nice upgrade...

I just hope they implement more jailbreak features into iOS. All I really need is enhanced folders, 5 columns, the ability to rename icons, the ability to easily move icons, the ability to add icons to the bottom row and the ability to close all apps at once. SBSettings would be sweet too. *sigh* Never going to happen...[/QUOTE]

Sounds like you want an Android ;)

[quote name='Javery']So is the form factor the same with a bigger screen or is the whole thing bigger than the iPhone 4? I'm not sure what I was expecting but this seems kind of boring. I guess we are at the point of diminishing returns now. Increased processing power is always a good thing and since I skipped the iPhone 4S this should feel like a nice upgrade...

I just hope they implement more jailbreak features into iOS. All I really need is enhanced folders, 5 columns, the ability to rename icons, the ability to easily move icons, the ability to add icons to the bottom row and the ability to close all apps at once. SBSettings would be sweet too. *sigh* Never going to happen...[/QUOTE]

It's the same width as the old iPhones but the length is increased. The picture with the cats would only be representative of the actual screen size comparison and not the full phone size.

I'm upgrading to the iPhone 5 from the ORIGINAL Droid (circa 2009). Speaking as an Android user, you have to watch out with the phones for Android. As an Android phone user, you're completely dependent on the carrier to allow firmware upgrades. I'm with Verizon and it happened once, they upgraded it from eclair to froyo. It was a really long time after it was released. After that there were a few security patches and that's it. My phone started to seem super slow and crappy. I waited until I was able to upgrade on contract and rooted the phone and installed gingerbread. Works fine on it, why Verizon didn't allow it to be pushed out I'll never know. I waited until I could upgrade in case I bricked the phone.

With the iPhone you cut the carriers out of the firmware upgrade cycle. That's one of the biggest pluses for iOS IMO. Yes I was able to install gingerbread but why the fuck did I have to do it in the first place when it should have been pushed out like the froyo upgrade was?

Well AT&T is just retarded. I go into the store to try and buy my wife an iPhone 5 for her birthday and after going through the whole process they tell me they can't accept cash. CASH. For once in my stupid life I have the forethought to buy her a gift before the last minute and they tell me I had to charge it (she will see the credit card statement and the surprise will be ruined). So I reversed everything and left. Not 10 minutes later my wife calls asking me if I bought her an iPhone 5 and telling me to return it. AT&T texted her. Thankfully, I could truthfully tell her I didn't actually buy one but it basically means that there's no way to surprise her on her birthday. It makes no sense.

[quote name='dothog']But I thought you couldn't do that. Legal tender and whatnot?[/QUOTE]

Believe me, I brought that up more than once. He claimed that the Apple Store would have the same policy but I have to call and ask or something. Seems insane to me.

[quote name='Javery']Believe me, I brought that up more than once. He claimed that the Apple Store would have the same policy but I have to call and ask or something. Seems insane to me.[/QUOTE]
I can assure you that Apple Stores will take cash for your purchase, and will also allow you to purchase a gift card if need be. The "no cash" thing is something Apple hasn't done since the first one (you'd be surprised how much money is laundered that way, plus limiting it to CC's helps curb buyers from getting 10 phones to resell).

So I was in the Apple Store yesterday and they suggested the gift card route since they need to place the order over the internet for the phone to be delivered to the store. If they were actually in stock cash would be no problem. So this is the way I'm going to go.

There is still the problem of all of the texts and stuff that AT&T will send to my wife's phone after I place the order on her account. They weren't sure if it was possible to stop that. I'm going back this week at some point and I'm going to see if I can either have them (i) not send the texts and emails or (ii) order the new iPhone for myself (I'm eligible for an upgrade as well) and then on her birthday just have them activate the phone for my wife's account instead (I have 30 days to do a return so in theory I should be able to do the return and then re-buy it for my wife, right?).

What a pain in the ass. I guess you just can't buy one of these things as a gift and have it actually be a surprise...

[quote name='Javery']What a pain in the ass. I guess you just can't buy one of these things as a gift and have it actually be a surprise...[/QUOTE]

You can, but you'd have to pay the 'no contract' price.

Or Craigslist. :whistle2:#

bread's done
Back