The New Kindle Fires Pre-Order Thread

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
Last edited by a moderator:
Will wait for the iPad Mini announcement first, before deciding which one to buy for my kid. The original Fire was very disappointing because of the OS, which I ended up returning. Their APP selection just can't compete with iOS and the browser was just bad.

The biggest problem I have with my kindle fire is that the memory is pre-partitioned for apps and other space. The books I have don't take up much space, and the other thing I use Fire for is playing games, but they count as app space instead of a general 8GB.
Is this changed in the new versions?

Not too interested in these, but the e-ink Kindle Paperwhite is sweet. I ordered one. Too bad it won't ship until October 1st.

[quote name='crunchewy']Not too interested in these, but the e-ink Kindle Paperwhite is sweet. I ordered one. Too bad it won't ship until October 1st.[/QUOTE]
I agree, out of today's kindle line update, the kindle paperwhite is the most interesting device even though its only an e-reader.

The kindle fire HD is just a locked down android tablet while most of its services can be obtained on any device including the nexus 7. Just load the kindle app, amazon store app, and you pretty much have a semi kindle fire without the x-ray and whispersync features. Also all the kindle fire HD devices now contain special offers/ads, unlike the original kindle fire.

Meh. That's really all I can say about these new Kindles. I do agree with crunchewy though, the Paperwhite one looks pretty cool. But it's a little disheartening knowing that Amazon chose to left out the little tidbit when showing these off that EVERY new Kindle will have lock-screen ads.

Besides "not a deal", these don't interest me much. Gonna get an MS tablet eventually, but I need a new laptop first. Never had much of an interest in tablets.

[quote name='OGHowie']Will wait for the iPad Mini announcement first, before deciding which one to buy for my kid. The original Fire was very disappointing because of the OS, which I ended up returning. Their APP selection just can't compete with iOS and the browser was just bad.[/QUOTE]

Get the Nexus 7

I still like to know what this means

No Other Company Offers This Kind of Flexibility
At Amazon, we make it easy for you to access your content on other devices. The books, videos, apps, audiobooks, games, and music that you buy for your Kindle Fire can also be enjoyed on Amazon apps for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, game consoles, TVs and more.

I wonder if that means amazon will make all the apps on the new fire work on ps3,360 ,pc and more

i dont think the old fires allowed this I dont ever recall getting an FIRE APP to play on a game system unless im wrong (probally)

[quote name='Gosha']Not really sure why we need a thread for this, unless some preorder bonuses are given.[/QUOTE]

Because the website gets a referral bonus if you see it here and click through and buy it.

[quote name='Gosha']Not really sure why we need a thread for this, unless some preorder bonuses are given.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='DarkSageRK']How is this a gaming deal? We don't have threads for other tablets or phones or computers here. Policy change?[/QUOTE]

Maybe because the owner of this site wants one?

[quote name='DarkSageRK']How is this a gaming deal? We don't have threads for other tablets or phones or computers here. Policy change?[/QUOTE]
He owns this site, so he can post whatever he wants, even a refrigerator.

"What do you think, besides that these are "not a deal"?"

I think it's good to be the king, anybody else would have been crucified posting this ;-)

I also think there are too many 7" tablets out it's giving me a headache, and I'm sick of waiting. Waiting for Target to clearance the old Fires, waiting for a Google Nexus or Tab sale, waiting for the iPad mini. I bought an iPod Touch last July, and though no one ever calls it a tablet I've been really using it alot and would like a bigger 7" screen, I think 9" or 10" would to too big. So the Kindle Fire HD 7 is close to being purchased right now. Not the revamped Fire though, no way, no how. I'm a CAG, but the revamped Kindle Fire (shoudln't they have at least called it "The New Kindle Fire" or KF2?) just doesn't look compelling for saving $40 over the HD: better screen - 1024 x 600 vs. 1280 x 800, longer battery - 11 vs. 9.5 hrs, storage - 8GB vs. 16GB, plus a camera, better processor, sound and Wi-Fi. That's a lot of extra stuff for only $40 more. Heck most companies charge you an extra $50 for only the extra 8GB.
I would like the Nexus's GPS and the Tab's IR port, so nothing is perfect, or a $250 7" New iPod Touch since I've purchased so many apps I'ld lose switching from iOS, but looks like I'll be buying the 7" HD.

Thanks for posting CheapyD, I'm sure somebody will talk me out of buying one.

[quote name='htz/cancerman1120']He owns this site, so he can post whatever he wants, even a refrigerator.[/QUOTE]

I know he runs the site.

It was a fair question and for what it's worth, I don't think sucking up will get you anywhere.

Meh, I'll stick with my 2nd gen Kindle, and my 3rd gen iPad. They have their purposes, and don't do each other's purposes very well: the Kindle is great for reading, but sucks for gaming, and the iPad isn't great for reading, but great for everything else. Just my opinion though...

[quote name='OGHowie']Will wait for the iPad Mini announcement first, before deciding which one to buy for my kid.[/QUOTE]

:roll:

Thanks for this post cheapy, had planned on getting one soon. Team Amazon, though I still like my google

[quote name='DarkSageRK']I know he runs the site.

It was a fair question and for what it's worth, I don't think sucking up will get you anywhere.[/QUOTE]
It's not sucking up when it is fact that he can post whatever he wants, so whats the point of questioning it.

Maybe we have been lucky, but we have never had any issues with the Kindle Fire I got my wife last year for Christmas. It does everything she wants it to. I use it from time to time and I think it's great for what it is. Would I love an ipad, sure. But not for the price.

[quote name='CheapyD']

What do you think, besides that these are "not a deal"?[/QUOTE]

Perfect

the 8.9" one looks great I might get one and $300 is not a bad price, wi-fi is enough for me I don't need 4G, looks like I got until November to think about it

I really do like the specs but knowing my ass, I'm gonna pick up the iPad mini when it comes out. Apple has a lot off apps that I want than the Amazon/Google market.

[quote name='slidecage']I still like to know what this means

No Other Company Offers This Kind of Flexibility
At Amazon, we make it easy for you to access your content on other devices. The books, videos, apps, audiobooks, games, and music that you buy for your Kindle Fire can also be enjoyed on Amazon apps for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, game consoles, TVs and more.

I wonder if that means amazon will make all the apps on the new fire work on ps3,360 ,pc and more

i dont think the old fires allowed this I dont ever recall getting an FIRE APP to play on a game system unless im wrong (probally)[/QUOTE]

Where is that from?

[quote name='OGHowie']Will wait for the iPad Mini announcement first, before deciding which one to buy for my kid. The original Fire was very disappointing because of the OS, which I ended up returning. Their APP selection just can't compete with iOS and the browser was just bad.[/QUOTE]

I would rather make do with a small selection than navigate a shitload of shovelware.

[quote name='UNDERSTAR']I really do like the specs but knowing my ass, I'm gonna pick up the iPad mini when it comes out. Apple has a lot off apps that I want than the Amazon/Google market.[/QUOTE]

Nexus 7 specs are a lot better, esp for gaming. What apps on apple are you talking about?

Think I'll get a Paperwhite after I finish my student teaching. Like a graduation present to myself :p I've had two generations of Kindles so far, and I really love them.

I was tempted by the Fire when it first came out but I think I would rather get a pure Android tablet like the Nexus than get locked into Amazon's ecosystem (even tho I love Amazon in general)... Or of course, if Apple ever comes out with a mini iPad, that might be another option for me since I already have an iPhone. I'd probably have to consider the Apple Premium price though...

And you know... You can play games on the kindles... Even the e-ink ones! :p simple ones like word games but still...

[quote name='claypool']Nexus 7 specs are a lot better, esp for gaming. What apps on apple are you talking about?[/QUOTE]
The CAVE shooter games, the upcoming Phoenix Wright games, and just other apps that are only available on iOS.

I'm nobody's fanboy fyi.

:p

I would never waste a penny on these kindle fire.
They were design for one purpose, and that purpose is to buy stuff from amazon.

People with little money and are noob to tablets loves them, but there are way better option available.

I knew waiting it out would be worth it..so the basic Kindle Fire has the price reduced & OG price is replaced by HD version? Plus the bigger screen version is nice..

Still not sure about this or Nexus 7..I already know I wouldn't even use a tablet too often but Nexus does have an edge in 7" version..

[quote name='slidecage']
I wonder if that means amazon will make all the apps on the new fire work on ps3,360 ,pc and more[/QUOTE]

they're prob referring to the Amazon Instant Video app, which is on all of the platforms they mentioned. Now the just need to publish that app on their app store so android users can get it.

[quote name='RoMee']I would never waste a penny on these kindle fire.
They were design for one purpose, and that purpose is to buy stuff from amazon.

People with little money and are noob to tablets loves them, but there are way better option available.[/QUOTE]So basically you just read what others have to say and then post a comment like this without ever owning one? And are you saying that with any other tablet, people don't buy stuff from them? Personally, I think your comment makes no sense. You can buy stuff if you want from Amazon, or you can get on the browser and go to your favorite site and buy whatever. You can play Android based games, watch videos, movies, etc etc etc.

So tell me, what is better about every other tablet?

[quote name='krashhole']So basically you just read what others have to say and then post a comment like this without ever owning one? And are you saying that with any other tablet, people don't buy stuff from them? Personally, I think your comment makes no sense. You can buy stuff if you want from Amazon, or you can get on the browser and go to your favorite site and buy whatever. You can play Android based games, watch videos, movies, etc etc etc.

So tell me, what is better about every other tablet?[/QUOTE]

lol, let me educate you a little.

I bough the kindle Fire when it first came out, and it sucked.
-lame memory options
-awkward power button placement
-no volume rockers
-touch screen had bad response
-amazon app store sucked
-no camera
-etc, etc, etc

Also any cheap $100 tablet on the market can go on the internet, buy stuff from Amazon, play Android based games, watch videos, movies, etc etc etc

EDIT:
The only apple product I own is an iPod touch.
I have the transformer pad, galaxy nexus, htc flyer, and samsung galaxy tab.

I have better things to do than argue with idiotic fanboys who are too quick to hate judge. So ya'll have a nice day

Last edited by a moderator:
i bought a kindle fire and loved it initially, then got bored, rooted it and loaded up ics got bored and gave it too the gf, she likes it as her first android device

[quote name='RoMee']lol, let me educate you a little.

I bough the kindle Fire when it first came out, and it sucked.
-lame memory options
-awkward power button placement
-no volume rockers
-touch screen had bad response
-amazon app store sucked
-no camera
-etc, etc, etc

EDIT:
The only apple product I own is an iPod touch.
I have the transformer pad, galaxy nexus, htc flyer, and samsung galaxy tab.[/QUOTE]The memory is really only used if you install the app.
The power button has never bothered us because it's in a case
The volume is adjusted by simply touching the screen
The updates have fixed the issue with response
Don't know what to say here. We have hundreds of apps and don't have a issue with selection
Camera. Personally, I don't have the use of a camera on a tablet. I'd rather use my real camera. Plus I don't want to look like the person trying to take a picture with a 10" tablet lol.

I know everyone has their own preferences, and I don't knock anyone for wanting what they want. Like I said in my previous post. I think the ipads are sweet and would love to have one. I just can't see myself spending the $$ for one.

[quote name='CheapyD']Kindle Fire 7", LCD Display, Wi-Fi, 8 GB $159 - 9/14/12

Kindle Fire HD 7", Dolby Audio, Dual-Band Wi-Fi, 16 GB $199 - 9/14/12

Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Dolby Audio, Dual-Band Wi-Fi, 16 GB $299 - 11/20/12

Kindle Fire HD 8.9" 4G LTE Wireless, Dolby Audio, Dual-Band Wi-Fi, 32 GB $499 - 11/20/12

What do you think, besides that these are "not a deal"?[/QUOTE]

$500 on a Fire? Bezos has lost touch with reality. Also, what is up w/ a 7 inch screen? Amazon could not even get 9 inches on their top of the line model? Terrible.

Remember when Shipwreck knocked the Fire on a Cagcast? I believe Shipwreck described it as, "...a cheaper and not as good version of an ipad..." Also, something along the lines of, "...the screen just does not respond like an ipad and feels cheap..."

Unless this iteration is a complete overhaul of the original Fire, I am going to pass.

[quote name='whats_the_word']I knew waiting it out would be worth it..so the basic Kindle Fire has the price reduced & OG price is replaced by HD version? Plus the bigger screen version is nice..

Still not sure about this or Nexus 7..I already know I wouldn't even use a tablet too often but Nexus does have an edge in 7" version..[/QUOTE]

tablets are so convenient once you go tablet you won't go back.

I just picked up a Nexus last week, so I'm not really in the market. To be honest, I haven't figured out what the point of a backlit Kindle is when you can get an inexpensive clamp light for it.

[quote name='RoMee']I have better things to do than argue with idiotic fanboys who are too quick to hate judge. So ya'll have a nice day[/QUOTE]LOL Does this mean you are leaving? Maybe you should sign up on SD. You seem to be the type they like over there.

bread's done
Back