The New Kindle Fires Pre-Order Thread

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#121 FierceDeityLink1

FierceDeityLink1

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:30 PM

I just preordered Paperwhite as well, but I can't believe anyone would actually think saving $60 or so is worth being forced to deal with ads (or even having to disable them when it probably still leaves a blank ad box etc)

I figure if they're that bad or can't be disabled, I'll pay the money to turn them off. If it's anything like the previous generations, you can just spoof the ads to whatever images you want. The same level of hackability regarding Kindlets would be nice too. :D

#122 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:32 PM

$60? The difference is $20. I'm hoping that upon release they'll have some good deals, and then when those peter out again I'll pay to get rid of them.

Crunchewy.png

#123 backseatdog

backseatdog

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:02 AM

Does anyone know if the they are also revamping the original kindle fire? Or is it merely a price drop to $159.00 for the older model?

#124 mightymek

mightymek

Welcome to the Gutter

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:55 AM

I can't find it on Amazon's website but google "Kindle Fire $15 ads" and it seems Amazon is letting you pay to remove the ads, though this may need to be done while you are holding the Kindle in your hand. If I get that far I'll probably keep the ads but 3 odd reasons I may not get that far -
1. no GPS
2. 13.5 hrs. to charge the battery via USB as it does NOT come with a wall charger (Tab 2 is 3 hrs w/ included wall charger but will NOT charge via USB, Nexus 4 hrs. included all charger, 7 hours USB)
3. It's 5.4" wide vs. 4.75 old/new Fire, Tab 2 and Nexus. It's only an extra 3/4", but the width between the first joints in my thumb and middle finger is only about 5" (I have small hands) so I can't comfortably hold the Fire HD in portrait mode.

Also today the Tab 2" is now down to $229.98 on Amazon. Standalone, no keyboard. And the Android 4.1.1 Jellybean update is apparently coming, so 1 less negative on this old-er device.

The $15 ad removal thing is on the Kindle Fire HD page. It advertises the ads at the top portion of the page with a "learn more" link that says you can remove them for $15. I'll most likely keep the ads on mine and hope to get some mp3 credits and all that, since I buy all my music on Amazon.

Also, while it does cost extra, they have a Powerfast charger for the wall that advertises charging in under four hours. It's pricey at $19.99, but only $9.99 when pre-ordered with a new Fire. That's what I did, figuring the $10 was well worth it.

13374.png

Scars of Life is back in 2013. As heard on the UFC!
New album A HEART STILL BEATS is out now!  Be sure to check us out on iTunes: http://itunes.apple....-life/id6136926

#125 ofacto

ofacto

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:18 AM

Does anyone know if the they are also revamping the original kindle fire? Or is it merely a price drop to $159.00 for the older model?

The completely sold out of their old stock of the original Kindle Fires. The new $159 one has a faster CPU and 1GB of RAM instead of 512MB.

#126 mightymek

mightymek

Welcome to the Gutter

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:43 PM

I just got my kindle fire hd, it's pretty sweet! Anyone else get one?

13374.png

Scars of Life is back in 2013. As heard on the UFC!
New album A HEART STILL BEATS is out now!  Be sure to check us out on iTunes: http://itunes.apple....-life/id6136926

#127 Rodster

Rodster

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2012 - 11:03 PM

Can someone tell me who snagged a KF HD if Amazon partitioned the storage again? :bouncy:

With the original KF you only had 1.1GB of space for apps and 5.1 for music/movies/books/podcast.