Photo
- - - - -

New Kindle Paperwhite and Kindle Fire HD Models announced and up for Preorder

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#31 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:16 PM

I'm loving the light. Even in bright light, with it cranked way up it makes the screen look white. Which I love as I never cared for the drab, gray look of e-ink--just tolerated it as it was so much easier on the eyes than a back lit screen.

I find I read in bed (dim room) with the light around 15-16, bright room I'll crank it up to 20-22. Dark room probably around 10, but haven't read long enough in the dark to see if that gets too bright as eyes adjust to dark.

#32 crunchewy

crunchewy

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:21 PM

Yes, it does make it look white, but it also makes it look less like e-ink and more like a "display". Probably this is just due to being use to the drab look. :) But maybe I just had it too bright. I turned it down a little and now it looks like a whiter-background e-ink.
Posted Image

#33 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:25 PM

Yeah. The light doesn't really come outward, so it doesn't bother my eyes like a backlit screen.

But I never really got used to the drab look. Looked like a cheap paperback page, when I always preferred reading nice hardbacks with white pages. So the Paperwhite with the light up gets closer to that.

But I also do read a ton on my iPad (PDFs and newspapers mainly), so I'm also used to the display look. I just can't read for hours on end on it as that tires out my eyes. But fine for reading the news for an hour, or skimming through research articles for work etc.

#34 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:56 PM

Does the kindle fire have any type of security lock features to it? Like would I just be able to go and use the tablet after pressing the unlock button?

If it does have a passcode lock or something, then I guess ads are ok, as long as they are like the Kindle e-ink models. Just kinda odd that they are doing them.
Posted Image
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#35 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:27 PM

On the paperwhite with ads, you wake it and then have to swipe the screen to get past the ad.

I'd assume the Fire with ads works similarly. But maybe not, the PW is that way as the Amazon cover autowakes it (like the ipad smart cover) when opened, so there has to be a tap after that so people with that cover are forced to see the ads (and can click the link if interested etc.).

#36 camoor

camoor

Jams on foot fires

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:36 PM

:lol:

I have an iPad 2 and this is the 4th Kindle model I have. I wouldn't have it any other way. Use the shit out of my iPad, but when I want to curl up and read, there's not beating the Kindle. iPad is just too bulky and heavy to read on for long stretches, and back lit screens tire my eyes if I read on them for more than an our or so. So the iPad is great for skimming through newspaper apps or articles for work, but the Kindle rules for curling up with a novel for a long while. Also better for reading in bed as back lit screens tend to wake me up and give me trouble falling asleep, so I try not to do anything on my iPad or iPhone after getting in bed.

Yeah I was totally kidding - the Kindle is awesome for reading books. I bought my mom one last year and when this one came out she was like "does this mean there's a better one now?" Welcome to the world of planned obsolesce.

My personal opinion - but I would think anyone on a videogames board would go for the tablet first and Kindle second, unless you had a hardcore reading habit or could use the Kindle for your job.

I have a long commute by car so I'd love it if there was a netflix for audiobooks. I tried the audible service for a year but I burned through everything I was interested in and the random queuing system drove me crazy. Buying audiobooks just costs too damn much.

#37 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:41 PM

Oh I'd agree. If I could only have one gadget, I'd keep my iPad as I can read on it and do other stuff.

But thankfully I do well enough for myself that I can easily afford both and have the best of both worlds. :D I'm also a bit of an odd ball though since I post so much here, but don't really game all that much anymore (get may 5-8 games a year these days). Spend a lot more time reading and watching movies than gaming in my free time these days. If it weren't for the off topic and vs. forum, I probably won't be on CAG anymore.

Also, you can check out audiobooks from the Overdrive system most big city libraries have these days (online checkouts of audiobooks and ebooks). Selection is pretty limited here in Atlanta though, and lots of long waits. But it's totally free so may be worth getting the app for your smartphone and seeing if there's anything you're interested in.

#38 Strell

Strell

LOBSTERS!....IN MY PANTS!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:01 PM

First e-reader with a way to turn the pages remotely so I can completely relax while reading gets a buy from me.

Posted Image
Aminal Crossing: Strell@Tazmily, 2836-3590- 0819

"One of the more...amusing screwballs around here..." - shrike4242
Join the El Hoardo Fan Club!
Threadless.com puts the fun back in laundry!...lafundry! HOORAY! (Referral link)
Wii Obscure FAQ and Facts Thread [Version 2.0] ::: Wii Shop Thread ::: DSi Shop Thread

#39 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:25 PM

Projector screen, PC based e-reader software, wireless mouse. There ya go. ;)
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#40 camoor

camoor

Jams on foot fires

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:12 PM

Oh I'd agree. If I could only have one gadget, I'd keep my iPad as I can read on it and do other stuff.

But thankfully I do well enough for myself that I can easily afford both and have the best of both worlds. :D I'm also a bit of an odd ball though since I post so much here, but don't really game all that much anymore (get may 5-8 games a year these days). Spend a lot more time reading and watching movies than gaming in my free time these days. If it weren't for the off topic and vs. forum, I probably won't be on CAG anymore.

Also, you can check out audiobooks from the Overdrive system most big city libraries have these days (online checkouts of audiobooks and ebooks). Selection is pretty limited here in Atlanta though, and lots of long waits. But it's totally free so may be worth getting the app for your smartphone and seeing if there's anything you're interested in.

It doesn't matter so much if you don't game, as long as you are still a cheapass.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will check that out. I just upgraded my smartphone's microSD card to 32 gig and I've been looking for a way to fill it up :lol:

#41 camoor

camoor

Jams on foot fires

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:14 PM

First e-reader with a way to turn the pages remotely so I can completely relax while reading gets a buy from me.

That would be great for a treadmill too, so you don't get the device sweaty

#42 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:25 PM

It doesn't matter so much if you don't game, as long as you are still a cheapass.

:lol: I don't really check the deals forums that much anymore either. I don't buy that many games or movies these days, and cash isn't tight like it was when I joined the site in grad school so I usually just order whatever I want from Amazon. :D

#43 Strell

Strell

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:37 PM

That would be great for a treadmill too, so you don't get the device sweaty

Just seems like there should be a way to tack on a tiny bluetooth receiver that utilizes an existing bluetooth stack, and then just interfaces with a simple click button type thing.

Yeah it sounds like laziness, but I think there's a number of positive uses for it, and I'd gladly pay to have that functionality. There's discussions on Amazon.com about this that have people saying they have mobility issues (Parkinson's) that would benefit.

Some people say you could do voice commands too, which is nice, but I'd rather just click a tiny button.

Posted Image

Threadless.com puts the fun back in laundry!...lafundry! HOORAY! (Referral link)
Wii Obscure FAQ and Facts Thread [Version 2.0] ::: Wii Shop Thread ::: DSi Shop Thread

#44 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:47 PM

I use my Kindle in the gym with no issues. Just sit it on the magazine rack on the eliptical (or treadmill if walking--can't read while running obviously) and tap it (button before, screen now) with a finger tip to turn pages. No need to hold it and get it all sweaty, and not that much sweat on a finger tip.

One thing some people did was use the text to speech feature and just turn the volume all the way down as it turns pages as it goes. I tried it once but found it too much hassle to get the page turn rate synched with my reading speed. Moot for the Paperwhite as they took out all the audio features anyway.

#45 Strell

Strell

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:23 PM

Yeah, I'd seen the auto page turning solution. Kind of a clever answer there, but it recalls memories of autoscrolling 2D platformers, and no one likes those.

I guess I'd just think with all the wireless tech we have available now, you'd think such things would exist.

Posted Image

#46 crunchewy

crunchewy

Posted 06 October 2012 - 07:42 PM

My Paperwhite, the light is yellowish in the upper corner. The rest is white. Is anyone else's like that? I'm wondering if returning it will just give me another with the same issue. I do find it a little bothersome.
Posted Image

#47 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:21 AM

Mine is white all over, aside from the shadows in between the lights on the bottom (below the text) which is normal.