Best Buy: Unadvertised 3DS game price drops/clearance - YMMV but shouldn't

BudzMcGee

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Was at the flagship Best Buy today and saw a bunch of stuff I hadn't previously seen marked down. These were all yellow tag priced, no manager stickers, no price override at the register so they SHOULD be universal (or mostly universal) in store price drops, but of course, YMMV. This is what this store had, if I see any more at a different store I will update. Some really good prices with the B2G1 sale ending today.

:3ds:The Adventures of TinTin - $19.99 (Been this price for a while, but marked clearance so I'm listing it)

:3ds:Decca Sports - $14.99 (also been this price for a while)

:3ds:PES (Pro Evolution Soccer) 2011 - $9.99
:3ds:James Noir - Hollywood Crimes - $9.99
:3ds:Chronicles: Samurai Warriors - $9.99
:3ds:Combat of Giants - $9.99

:3ds:Cartoon Network Punch Time Explosion - $6.99
:3ds:Ridge Racer 3D - $6.99

:3ds:Dream Trigger - $5.99

[quote name='TheEliminator62']Sometimes I wonder why I own a 3DS with fruity games like this.[/QUOTE]

Because every system in existence besides the 3DS has only had AAA games released for them

[quote name='TheEliminator62']Sometimes I wonder why I own a 3DS with fruity games like this.[/QUOTE]

There are terrible games on every single system. Every. Single. One.

Not really fair to judge it based on the list of games on clearance, which are typically not great games by definition of clearance.

5 of those 9 games are either directly available on Xbox/PS3 or another game in the same franchise is too. If you include the Wii, 6 of the 9 are for sure.

I snagged PES, Punchtime Explosion and James Noir for a grand total of $6.70 each after the B2G1 sale. Worth it just to try them out. James and PES trade in for $10 each currently if I don't like them, so no loss there. Punch Time trades for $6. Not making money on them really, but I'll try them, if they suck, back they go. PES is a pretty popular franchise though.

The reason there's so much shovelware on the Wii and DS/3DS is because Nintendo moved away from their "seal of quality" era.

The "seal of quality" meant that Nintendo approved of the quality of the product and it was licensed for your system. Now, it's just the "Official Nintendo seal", which basically means that the product is licensed or manufactured by Nintendo.

Official Nintendo Seal of Quality

gJ5wy.jpg

Official Nintendo Seal

jcshr.jpg

The seal of quality had nothing to do with game quality, it just was to make sure the game worked on your system and it wouldn't crap out or be glitchy or something like that. There were a few unlicensed games released for the NES too.

The NES, also had a ton of shovelware, and it was worse back then since we didn't know it was shovelware, you had to buy games blindly unless you had recommendation from a friend or bought a game based off an article in Nintendo Power. So almost every single video game system in history has a ton of shovelware.

Ah yes, I remember the great old days of buying a game based on how fun the cover art or screenshots on the back made it look. Surprisingly, I was rarely disappointed. Such simpler times.

[quote name='Yigytugd']I would only get Ridge Racer 3D but even at that I rather have the Vita version, oh well.[/QUOTE]

The good thing about the 3DS version is that it is at least a full game and not a third of a game with the rest being DLC.

[quote name='jello44']The good thing about the 3DS version is that it is at least a full game and not a third of a game with the rest being DLC.[/QUOTE]

Say it isn't so!:whistle2:#

I have the Asphalt demo on Vita and was debating between that and Ridge Racer(no demo). Either would have to be $20 or less, of course, whenever I decide to buy.

[quote name='ChunLiBarbie']Say it isn't so!:whistle2:#

I have the Asphalt demo on Vita and was debating between that and Ridge Racer(no demo). Either would have to be $20 or less, of course, whenever I decide to buy.[/QUOTE]
Do not buy RR for the Vita, you'll get ripped off. Check Amazon and all the low reviews just for that reason alone.

[quote name='scottman']Ah yes, I remember the great old days of buying a game based on how fun the cover art or screenshots on the back made it look. Surprisingly, I was rarely disappointed. Such simpler times.[/QUOTE]

That's because you were a kid. Kids don't give a shit.

[quote name='Rodster']Do not buy RR for the Vita, you'll get ripped off. Check Amazon and all the low reviews just for that reason alone.[/QUOTE]

Just read Amazon-"Namco didn't even release a real demo because a demo would be this full crap game."

LMFAO!:lol: Damn. I watched some gameplay vids on YouTube, but didn't bother to research it more because that's my second favorite racing franchise and I felt they, actually, made it look like a Ridge Racer game.

Thanks for the heads up!

Oh yes I remember these days on Atari like when pac man came out and my parents went to 4 stores before they found one that wasn't sold out and paid $50 for it. Then they told me that I wouldn't need to go to the arcade anymore. After playing it for 2 minutes I told them I would definately still be going to the arcade. Glad I didn't buy E.T. when it came out that Christmas at least.

[quote name='SaraAB']The seal of quality had nothing to do with game quality, it just was to make sure the game worked on your system and it wouldn't crap out or be glitchy or something like that. There were a few unlicensed games released for the NES too.

The NES, also had a ton of shovelware, and it was worse back then since we didn't know it was shovelware, you had to buy games blindly unless you had recommendation from a friend or bought a game based off an article in Nintendo Power. So almost every single video game system in history has a ton of shovelware.[/QUOTE]

While not directly related to the "seal of quality", Nintendo would only allow each publisher to release X number of games per year on the NES, which did help to improve quality.. publishers had to release the games they thought would make them the most money.

(quick google shows the yearly limit was 5 titles per publisher)

Chronicles: Samurai Warriors play around 10 hours and not even near half done something to play when bored ...but it goes on the long list of backlog games now

[quote name='jello44']The good thing about the 3DS version is that it is at least a full game and not a third of a game with the rest being DLC.[/QUOTE]

I know but the graphics and controls are what kill it for me. I know, I know, I'm bad but when you play the game on the PSP, PS3 and 360 and than have to play the horrible looking DS and 3DS version... it's just bad. The controls aren't too bad just not as smooth.

I'll get the Vita version when its $5 than hopefully the DLC will be on sale or free by the time I get it.

Actually, Ridge Racer 3DS is starting to look a lot better than before. I only saw a feel videos of it and was still set on getting the Vita version but after checking out some reviews, it looks good. Not $10 but for $7 (free w/ my gift cards) its looks great.

Still might not get it now but definitely worth it.

[quote name='Yigytugd']I know but the graphics and controls are what kill it for me. I know, I know, I'm bad but when you play the game on the PSP, PS3 and 360 and than have to play the horrible looking DS and 3DS version... it's just bad. The controls aren't too bad just not as smooth.

I'll get the Vita version when its $5 than hopefully the DLC will be on sale or free by the time I get it.[/QUOTE]

The 3DS has better visuals than the PSP could ever possibly produce.

[quote name='coolz481']Wouldn't mind picking up Ridge Racer 3D for that price. Thanks for the heads up, OP.[/QUOTE]

Same here. New game doesn't show up on the website anymore. Time to find one.

[quote name='vlv723']Same here. New game doesn't show up on the website anymore. Time to find one.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, sorry, should of written down the SKU so that we could make a search link. If anyone can find it, post it, please and thank you.

Nevermind. Ridge Racer 3D SKU: 2364345

Yeah. I searched for the Ridge Racer SKU and did the SKU link creation thing and it's not working. Figured I could stock up on some games and stalk a 3DS for $50 or less from Cowboom.

Oh well, searching local Best Buy clearance on line, I see that Dream Trigger game for $5.99 and Street Fighter X Tekken Special Edition:ps3: for $34.99, Deus Ex for Windows $6.99.

[quote name='coolz481']Wouldn't mind picking up Ridge Racer 3D for that price. Thanks for the heads up, OP.[/QUOTE]

Ridge Racer 3D is great fun! I definitely recommend it.

If you have a kid that likes Boomerang and Cartoon Network he/she will like Punchtime Explosion. I cannot think if too many games that have so many characters from the network. They can fight or go through a scrolling adventure.

[quote name='ChunLiBarbie']Yeah. I searched for the Ridge Racer SKU and did the SKU link creation thing and it's not working. Figured I could stock up on some games and stalk a 3DS for $50 or less from Cowboom.

Oh well, searching local Best Buy clearance on line, I see that Dream Trigger game for $5.99 and Street Fighter X Tekken Special Edition:ps3: for $34.99, Deus Ex for Windows $6.99.[/QUOTE]

Ya whats up with that. Did they fix that sku check trick? Is there no way to search for an item stock if you have the SKU anymore?

^_^x KD

I'd recommend James Noir if you're a fan of games like Professor Layton. The whole premise is kinda hokey, but I definitely got my $13 worth when I got it off gamefly last year.

Ridge Racer 3D is a hell of a lot better than the Vita game, which is a piece of shit that you should avoid like the plague. The only gripe I have with 3D is that it's really similar to the old PSP game, so I had the feeling that I've played it before.

I saw Dream Trigger for $6 back during Best Buy's Gaming Blowout 2.0. Pretty decent deal if you ask me. Ridge Racer is tempting too but I know I wouldn't play it much since I already have Mario Kart :(

[quote name='Kenshindono']Ya whats up with that. Did they fix that sku check trick? Is there no way to search for an item stock if you have the SKU anymore?

^_^x KD[/QUOTE]

I have been able to use it for other things, here and there. But, Ridge Racer 3DS makes that a few times now of the SKU trick not working. Might be able to get a store or 800 number to find it. I had 1 game the store couldn't do a search on becuase it was, supposedly, out of all systems.

[quote name='ChuckyDJ']Oh yes I remember these days on Atari like when pac man came out and my parents went to 4 stores before they found one that wasn't sold out and paid $50 for it. Then they told me that I wouldn't need to go to the arcade anymore. After playing it for 2 minutes I told them I would definately still be going to the arcade. Glad I didn't buy E.T. when it came out that Christmas at least.[/QUOTE]

Ugh, if you bought E.T. then your rmoney would have been even more wasted than on Pac Man. This was also back when you had to find your kid's desired game in a store. Demand is much larger for games these days but trying to find the desired games for gifts during the holidays is a real problem here in my area, since they only have so many titles stocked and that is it and they sell very, very fast. Unless an AAA title is requested you probably won't be finding it. Thank god for online shopping. If it wasn't for online shopping I don't even think I would be playing video games today.

Of course there were only so many games released during the early Atari era, so you didn't have thousands of titles competing for coveted retail space like you do today. Though I don't really want to think about how much that Pac Man cartridge at $50 would cost in today's money adjusted for inflation.

I've never had a portable with a good game library (nintendo). The only portable games ive liked are pokemon, kirby maybe a few others, not much tho. Im not a fa of platformers like mario and oh new mario n new new mario.

[quote name='synnarc']I wish Nintendo would just give up with consoles and release their AAA games on other systems.[/QUOTE]

I'm with you there dude!

[quote name='SaraAB']Ugh, if you bought E.T. then your rmoney would have been even more wasted than on Pac Man. This was also back when you had to find your kid's desired game in a store. Demand is much larger for games these days but trying to find the desired games for gifts during the holidays is a real problem here in my area, since they only have so many titles stocked and that is it and they sell very, very fast. Unless an AAA title is requested you probably won't be finding it. Thank god for online shopping. If it wasn't for online shopping I don't even think I would be playing video games today.

Of course there were only so many games released during the early Atari era, so you didn't have thousands of titles competing for coveted retail space like you do today. Though I don't really want to think about how much that Pac Man cartridge at $50 would cost in today's money adjusted for inflation.[/QUOTE]

It would cost $110.50. Had to mow a lot of lawns and and wash a lot of cars to feed my gaming habit back then.

bread's done
Back