11/11 Update: Radiant Historia (DS) $16.21 at Amazon -- Prime Eligible

KingofGames

CAGiversary!
Feedback
28 (100%)
Excellent game, fantastic price. Pretty sure this is the cheapest I have seen it brand new. Keep in mind this was once fetching nearly $100 on Ebay.

Radiant Historia $16.21

Again, not sure if this is the cheapest it has been, but you can't go wrong at this price.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have any interest in JRPGs and have been putting off picking this gem up, this is an excellent price for one of the best RPGs in recent years. One of my faves since Xenogears.

[quote name='mindatlarge']If you have any interest in JRPGs and have been putting off picking this gem up, this is an excellent price for one of the best RPGs in recent years. One of my faves since Xenogears.[/QUOTE]

Completely agree. Radiant Historia is my favorite JRPG since the PS1 days.

I think the lowest I've seen it was $20 but that was before the reprint.

Amazon still has tons of this reprint. If you can be patient and wait til late November / early December, I'm sure they'll have it for $15-20 at some point during that time.

[quote name='roymustang']Amazon still has tons of this reprint. If you can be patient and wait til late November / early December, I'm sure they'll have it for $15-20 at some point during that time.[/QUOTE]

That's what I'm holding out for, especially considering the size of my backlog. :)

[quote name='KingofGames']Nope, this is the reprint. That version still commands a pretty significant amount, but this is a solid alternative.[/QUOTE

Nice, I traded cart only a long time ago but kept the box, Manuel, and soundtrack, never knew it was worth much.

[quote name='roymustang']Amazon still has tons of this reprint. If you can be patient and wait til late November / early December, I'm sure they'll have it for $15-20 at some point during that time.[/QUOTE]
way off topic, but the girls in your sig are bad ass!

According to the price tracker thing, it dropped to $20 at amazon in mid-November last year. I picked it up for DOTD at $24.50 and it was well worth it.

Very enjoyable, the grid battle system and the change mechanic keeps the combat from becoming stale. The battle takes place on a I think a 3 x 6 grid, you're on one 3 x 3 and they are on the other 3 x 3. When one is in the row closest to front, they do more damage but they receive more damage, and further to the back they do less damage but they receive less damage from attacks (which makes it a good place to put your healers and other support characters)

Each character also has various skills which allow you to do damage while shifting the enemies around the board, stack them as many on one tile as possible through the various push, pull, and slide attack skills, then unleash your strongest attack to hit all of them. This is later complicated by enemies which can't be moved, shield spells which protect enemies standing in certain rows/columns, etc, to keep it from getting stale.

You also have the capability to give your turn to one of your characters or even exchange your turn with an enemy's so that you can have more turns in a row to herd all the enemies together and hit them all at once, as once your string of turns end, the enemies move off so there is only 1 per tile again.

Basically it has some of the strategist aspect of an RTS, while not actually being in real-time so you have plenty of time to plan your string of attacks.

The story and characters also quite engaging and the time travel mechanic is quite well done as you shift back and forth between 2 alternative history timelines with the ultimate goal of saving the world by using the differences between the two timelines to solve problems in the other timeline. Each of those 2 timelines can branch off in other different directions and result in dozens of different endings (both game ending and good).

What's nice is when you hit a bad ending, your not done, the time travel mechanic kicks in and takes you back to the last available node (there's usually a node for every 3-4 events in the timeline). Using the time travel mechanic you can freely jump around to any node in the timeline to replay a section so you don't ever have to worry about missing anything. It also means you don't have to replay the entire game over several times to see every ending. Took me about 50 hours to unlock all the event points and beat the game. Played mostly without consulting a guide until the final chapter and I think I had only missed 15 or 20 events (which you can travel back to at any time to do).

Here's a good example of the mechanics of battle:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6ibH-ap0TA

[quote name='uiengineer']way off topic, but the girls in your sig are bad ass![/QUOTE]

Yeah, they're one of my favorite bands; they always seem to have a song that suits my mood.

Here is mine I found

[URL=http://s1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff403/AuronMidgard/?action=view¤t=20120910_173337.jpg]
th_20120910_173337.jpg
[/URL]

th_20120910_173337.jpg

20120910_173337.jpg

Sometimes you just gotta love Amazon. Ordered last night at 5:30ish, arrived this morning via OnTrac. That's what 18 hours?

Man bump it up a penny so I can get super shipper savings! I'm probably one of the few people here, willing to toss Amazon an extra penny, to raise their price for the free shipping eligibility.

I dislike it when I see an item for $19.99 and there's no $5.01 filler item. Tried the filler item finder and it has yet to help me since it is usually stuff I don't want or need.

[quote name='guardian_owl']They have apparently started some kind of new "add on" program where most really cheap stuff will not add toward the total for $25 free shipping, but will ship for free if the cart is already $25. Here is an example item, a $0.40 christmas bulb.
http://www.amazon.com/Bulbrite-7C7C-Christmas-Light-Clear/dp/B0030B28CY/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_3[/QUOTE]

The details:

Add-on Items

The Add-on Program

The new Add-on program allows Amazon to offer thousands of low-priced items that would be cost-prohibitive to ship on their own. We've kicked off the Add-on program with thousands of new Add-on Items, and we're adding more each day. Add-on Items ship with orders that include $25 or more of items shipped by Amazon, and you can get them delivered to your doorstep with free shipping.
Exploring Add-on Items

Add-on Items are products of all different sorts at a low price point. Previously it was only possible for us to offer items like these in large multi-pack sizes (which for many families would have been too much of an item). Take a look at some of these new Add-on Items.
Identifying Add-on Items

Add-on Items are marked with a special icon when searching for items, viewing items, and during checkout:
2214671110.jpg
The box around the "Add to Cart" button for Add-on Items also has a special blue title bar:
2215016650.jpg
Buying Add-on Items

To purchase Add-on Items, just include them in an order with $25 or more of the millions of items shipped by Amazon. For example, you could order a $5 packet of teriyaki-flavored beef jerky that's an Add-on Item with a $20 thermos, an $80 pair of shoes, or anything else that gets your order to $25 or more of items shipped by Amazon.
Add-on Items and Amazon Prime

When you add an Add-on Item to an Amazon Prime order of more than $25, your Add-on Item will also receive Prime shipping benefits, including FREE Two-Day Shipping. For example, if you ordered five $5 pacifiers, each of which was an Add-on Item, your order would receive FREE Two-Day Shipping.
As a Prime member you can continue to choose from the over 14 million (and growing) Prime-eligible items sold on Amazon.com, plus access Prime Instant Videos and the Kindle Owners' Lending Library. Not yet a member of Amazon Prime? Learn more about the benefits of Prime membership.
Add-on Items and FREE Super Saver Shipping

If you're not a Prime member, you can combine your Add-on Items with other items and take advantage of FREE Super Saver Shipping. For example, you could include a $6 bath sponge that's an Add-on Item with two $10 paperbacks and receive FREE Super Saver Shipping on all three items.
Checking Out Without Add-on Items

If you have an Add-on Item in your cart but less than $25 of items shipped by Amazon you can still check out with the rest of your items. When you proceed to checkout we'll give you the choice either to keep shopping or to check out with the rest of your items and save your Add-on Items for later. We'll keep your Add-on Items in the "Saved for Later" section of your cart so that you can easily add them to a future order.

Just thought I would resurrect this thread by letting CAGs know that Radiant Historia has dropped to $22.23 at Amazon. This is the cheapest I've seen it since this thread was started but it might go lower for Black Friday considering they still have plenty in stock.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought this was a truly refreshing JRPG. I had started writing the whole genre off as outdated. This game brought JRPG's into the modern era for me.

I don't know, amazon has been selling out of this.. it's been on and off for the last few months. I could see it selling out by blackfriday

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']Man bump it up a penny so I can get super shipper savings! I'm probably one of the few people here, willing to toss Amazon an extra penny, to raise their price for the free shipping eligibility.

I dislike it when I see an item for $19.99 and there's no $5.01 filler item. Tried the filler item finder and it has yet to help me since it is usually stuff I don't want or need.[/QUOTE]

Gave me a great idea for a business. If only I had something to sell.

[quote name='SevereTireDamage']Wow, what a ridiculously convoluted way to simply say "You can ONLY buy these items with $25 FSSS orders or more".[/QUOTE]

Interesting, I always interpreted these "add-on items" as Amazon's very own filler items. I guess I've been wrong.

So essentially, if I were to buy a game at $19.99 that qualifies for free super shipper savings. I would have to find something else for $5.01 instead of an "add-on item" that was going for $5.01 and end up with three items in my cart. The $19.99 game, $5.01 thing, and the $5.01 "add-on item."

[quote name='AcidRain25']Just thought I would resurrect this thread by letting CAGs know that Radiant Historia has dropped to $22.23 at Amazon. This is the cheapest I've seen it since this thread was started but it might go lower for Black Friday considering they still have plenty in stock.[/QUOTE]

Tempting at that price since I missed out on the original print. I might try to hold out for $19.99 or less.

[quote name='moothemagiccow']Gave me a great idea for a business. If only I had something to sell.[/QUOTE]
If you become a huge success based on this idea don't forget about me!

For those of you always looking for fillers for stuff under 25 there is an easy solution. Pre order a game of you're choice with the item you want to buy to bump the price over 25. They don't charge you for the pre ordered game untill it ships so after the item you really want ships, just go ahead and cancel the pre order game and then you have gotten fsss on the item you really wanted!

[quote name='grimhope']For those of you always looking for fillers for stuff under 25 there is an easy solution. Pre order a game of you're choice with the item you want to buy to bump the price over 25. They don't charge you for the pre ordered game untill it ships so after the item you really want ships, just go ahead and cancel the pre order game and then you have gotten fsss on the item you really wanted![/QUOTE]

Good method but I'm not sure if its a good idea to do this more than few times.

Hmmmm... I'm in a bit of a dance here want it to hit $15 or below, but I'm not sure if it will. Not sure if it's worth risking over $5, but when you're unemployed $5 makes a difference. If I do get it though it's just going to sit in my backlog. I remember buying Chrono Trigger DS 2 years ago, and I just started it last month. Hmmm..

[quote name='KornKid91']Hmmmm... I'm in a bit of a dance here want it to hit $15 or below, but I'm not sure if it will. Not sure if it's worth risking over $5, but when you're unemployed $5 makes a difference. If I do get it though it's just going to sit in my backlog. I remember buying Chrono Trigger DS 2 years ago, and I just started it last month. Hmmm..[/QUOTE]

I know that feeling haha. Normally, it doesn't make sense to keep adding backlogs but with games like this you never know when the price will just shoot back up.

Hoping it hangs on at this price until Black Friday week. I'm trying to hold off on ordering anything until then so that I have plenty of add ons waiting saved for later in my shopping cart to bump any orders I make up to the free shipping minimum.

All right...guess I'll finally bite. I'm SUUUUPER hesitant about Japanese RPGs because I like Sakaguchi, some of Nintendo's, and that's it, and end up thinking everything else is utterly laughable, but...I'll try it.

Anyone of the fence should probably buy it. I remember when Solatorobo was $16 and I was waiting for it to hit below $15. Long story short it is now $33.89 and I never bought it.

Oddly enough,even after that I'm still hesitant to buy this game with bf just a couple of weeks away.

[quote name='Vap']Anyone of the fence should probably buy it. I remember when Solatorobo was $16 and I was waiting for it to hit below $15. Long story short it is now $33.89 and I never bought it.

Oddly enough,even after that I'm still hesitant to buy this game with bf just a couple of weeks away.[/QUOTE]

Hmm, problem is I DID buy Solatorobo, liked it for a short while, and got stuck or hated it or something after a few hours. Suuuuuper skeptical about this... But oh well, I'm dumb and throw down $20 on a game like nothing lol

[quote name='Wolfpup']Hmm, problem is I DID buy Solatorobo, liked it for a short while, and got stuck or hated it or something after a few hours. Suuuuuper skeptical about this... But oh well, I'm dumb and throw down $20 on a game like nothing lol[/QUOTE]

Guess I lucked out by not getting Solatorobo then.

In for one! I was wanting to wait for a cheaper price, but with my luck it would go up or sell out, so I went for it.

I've been waffling back and forth over getting this for awhile now. Decided to bite the bullet and try it for $20. Thanks for the push, OP/thread resurrector.

Damn, this has been on my wish list for so long, but with all the games I'm picking up for BF, there's no way I'll ever get around to playing this.

bread's done
Back