* * * * * 1 votes

The unOFFICIAL Art Book Pre-Order Thread

447 replies to this topic

#271 WingsDJY

WingsDJY

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:14 PM

Not terribly surprising, but Ubiworkshop has announced a new version of the Assassin's Creed Encyclopedia for $49.95.

Encyclopedia_V3_FicheProduit_3D__53403.1

I also found another book on their site that will cover the history of pirates: Historia: Pirates - The Scourge of the Caribbean for $24.95.

HistoriaCouvertureFinale_Eng__46597.1381

Shipping just the encyclopedia was $13 to the midwest. Adding the other book only added a few cents, so if you want both, order them together.

Oh, and the Version 2.0 of the Encyclopedia is now half off ($24.95).

"Ha! I like your style, you make up your own rules just like me." - Cave Johnson

#272 ragingst0rm6

ragingst0rm6

Savior, Conquerer, Hero, Villain.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:47 PM

The OP is now a wiki post (again; I guess the transition to the new CAG made it a non-wiki post). Go forth and modify to your heart's content!

Not surprised about the new AC Encyclopedia, although I really wish they'd do a separate "Volume 2" so I wouldn't have to re-buy it...but that would defeat the entire purpose, right?

#273 cjenvy

cjenvy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:31 PM

looks like history of mario is getting pushed again

#274 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 October 2013 - 12:55 AM

Not terribly surprising, but Ubiworkshop has announced a new version of the Assassin's Creed Encyclopedia for $49.95.

Encyclopedia_V3_FicheProduit_3D__53403.1

I also found another book on their site that will cover the history of pirates: Historia: Pirates - The Scourge of the Caribbean for $24.95.

HistoriaCouvertureFinale_Eng__46597.1381

Shipping just the encyclopedia was $13 to the midwest. Adding the other book only added a few cents, so if you want both, order them together.

Oh, and the Version 2.0 of the Encyclopedia is now half off ($24.95).

When I bought 2.0, this was exactly my fear... I honestly hate when publishers do this: releasing another version that's better and has content the earlier version does not. At least release a stand alone of the new content so people who bought earlier copies don't have to re-buy the same thing again though that's just what they want. 

Currently playing:
:ps3: God of War: Ascension - :)

fyreboltx.png
║My Tradelists: Games, Guides & Game Related Goodies║Wantlist║

#275 WingsDJY

WingsDJY

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:17 AM

When I bought 2.0, this was exactly my fear... I honestly hate when publishers do this: releasing another version that's better and has content the earlier version does not. At least release a stand alone of the new content so people who bought earlier copies don't have to re-buy the same thing again though that's just what they want.

I hear ya, but damn if it doesn't work. Version 3.0 will look nice next to Versions 1.0 and 2.0.
"Ha! I like your style, you make up your own rules just like me." - Cave Johnson

#276 Zaku77

Zaku77

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:21 AM

Well, I just bit the bullet and bought it--to keep the line of them going with 1.0 and 2.0. I also finally bit the bullet and grabbed the GoW: Ascension artbook off amazon. It's sold out on the publisher's website, so I feel obligated to now--not too please about dropping the $70 on it, though. I wish I had never started collecting artbooks. I love them, but they can often be so damn spendy to keep up with!

Check out my youtube channel! I do video game collection updates, unboxings, final impressions, and intelligent game industry commentary.  Expect lots of collector's editions, as well as steelbooks from all over the world! :D

http://www.youtube.c...77?feature=mhee Twitter: https://twitter.com/Helldestroyer77

My Collection: https://docs.google....hvRG9LMlE#gid=0

#277 WingsDJY

WingsDJY

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 October 2013 - 03:23 PM

Well, I just bit the bullet and bought it--to keep the line of them going with 1.0 and 2.0. I also finally bit the bullet and grabbed the GoW: Ascension artbook off amazon. It's sold out on the publisher's website, so I feel obligated to now--not too please about dropping the $70 on it, though. I wish I had never started collecting artbooks. I love them, but they can often be so damn spendy to keep up with!

Yeah, it's not cheap to collect them. The OCD side of my still wants to get the EU version 1.0 just to have it in hardcover. Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately), they're like $120 with shipping on eBay. Way too rich for me.

#278 WingsDJY

WingsDJY

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:34 PM

Got my copy of The Art of Assassin's Creed IV yesterday from Amazon. Briefly flipped through it (didn't want to study it and spoil the game). Looks solid.

#279 WingsDJY

WingsDJY

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2013 - 03:26 PM

Here's a cool looking Kickstarter for SEGA Mega Drive fans: http://www.kickstart...collected-works

63bf25f742e45656829755d9615ac767_large.j

Usual risks of Kickstarter are associated with this (i.e. you may never see the product), but I've had pretty good luck on previous books I've supported.

#280 chrislaustin

chrislaustin

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2013 - 03:43 PM

Usually risks of Kickstarter are associated with this (i.e. you may never see the product), but I've had pretty good luck on previous books I've supported.

Yeah, saw this yesterday, and I'm definitely going to support this project. Can't wait, as this book looks super cool.

#281 WingsDJY

WingsDJY

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2013 - 04:19 PM

Udon posted an update regarding the Eyes of Bayonetta. Sounds like it will actually release sometime in December.

http://www.udonenter...day-2013-day-3/

#282 pacino408

pacino408

Posted 04 December 2013 - 06:06 PM

Udon posted an update regarding the Eyes of Bayonetta. Sounds like it will actually release sometime in December.

I have had this pre-ordered forever, now seeing the hardcover I don't know If I want to change the softcover plus dvd for the HC :-k

fs_overall.png

#283 WingsDJY

WingsDJY

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2013 - 07:53 PM

I have had this pre-ordered forever, now seeing the hardcover I don't know If I want to change the softcover plus dvd for the HC :-k

There's only one version: HC w/ DVD.

#284 diddy310

diddy310

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2013 - 08:20 PM

I hope Bayonetta is finally happening.  I've had it preordered since March 12, 2012.

#285 anotherpoorgamer

anotherpoorgamer

Bird's Nest Hair

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2013 - 08:44 PM

Yeah, I'm kind of reluctant to jump on the Assassin's Creed Encyclopedias, given a new/better version will be released.

Spoiler

I so would buy 2 of these Sega Genesis books, but with paypal.  I can't believe I didn't see this one before.

Still kind of on the fence about this.  At about $35, I don't know if I should bite yet. 

Also, didn't know that there was an Udon online bookstore.  Prices seem kind of high though.

#286 WingsDJY

WingsDJY

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:49 PM

Still kind of on the fence about this.  At about $35, I don't know if I should bite yet. 

Also, didn't know that there was an Udon online bookstore.  Prices seem kind of high though.

I wouldn't bother buying from their site. The art books are pretty much always available on Amazon. I just use their site for release updates since Amazon is unreliable.

#287 pacino408

pacino408

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:19 PM

There's only one version: HC w/ DVD.

Strange well I hope Amazon just goofed cuz mine says (pre-oder from 2012):

1  "The Eyes of Bayonetta: Art Book & DVD"

Sega; Paperback; $31.49

fs_overall.png

#288 tossup

tossup

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:45 PM

Strange well I hope Amazon just goofed cuz mine says (pre-oder from 2012):

1  "The Eyes of Bayonetta: Art Book & DVD"

Sega; Paperback; $31.49

The old listing used to say paperback, but the link in your order will bring you to the HC edition. I'm pretty excited for this, it's been in limbo for awhile and I'm glad it is finally on its way.

#289 pacino408

pacino408

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:07 PM

The old listing used to say paperback, but the link in your order will bring you to the HC edition. I'm pretty excited for this, it's been in limbo for awhile and I'm glad it is finally on its way.

Yeah I can't wait as well, also I just noticed that it does take me to the HC edition

fs_overall.png

#290 blinknot4

blinknot4

Posted 20 December 2013 - 01:54 PM

51oze3WlK-L._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

The Art of Castlevania: Lords of Shadow

Releases March 14, 2014.

That cover is a bit... romance novel-y.

Dill The Noise.

471350.png champloo4.png

#291 cjenvy

cjenvy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2013 - 10:56 AM

just a headsup reminder that the paperback version of history of sonic is releasing in a few weeks

#292 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2013 - 09:29 PM

Here's a cool looking Kickstarter for SEGA Mega Drive fans: http://www.kickstart...collected-works

Usual risks of Kickstarter are associated with this (i.e. you may never see the product), but I've had pretty good luck on previous books I've supported.

I've always wondered...How do these people not get sued? Are they paying for licensing? I wanted to make a reference book for some games, but ID want to be sued by Nintendo.

#293 chrislaustin

chrislaustin

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2013 - 10:17 PM

I've always wondered...How do these people not get sued? Are they paying for licensing? I wanted to make a reference book for some games, but ID want to be sued by Nintendo.

If you've read the KS campaign, you'll see they have approval from Sega and they are supplying much of the books content. Normally, books like this get cancelled, as they don't have the licensing.

Years ago, a guy wanted to make a Mike Tyson Punch-Out book, and the KS funds where going to help secure licensing from Nintendo. That was a pipe dream from the get go, as Nintendo would never approve anyone to make such an item. It was actually pretty bad ass, but trying to get approval from "N", was a wasted effort from the start.

It normally depends on the content and what may or may not be used. I think as long as your just reporting on games and giving details, you can pretty much do what you want. It's only when you want to use certain names or copyrights in the books titles, is when you have issues.

#294 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 December 2013 - 12:26 AM

If you've read the KS campaign, you'll see they have approval from Sega and they are supplying much of the books content. Normally, books like this get cancelled, as they don't have the licensing.

Years ago, a guy wanted to make a Mike Tyson Punch-Out book, and the KS funds where going to help secure licensing from Nintendo. That was a pipe dream from the get go, as Nintendo would never approve anyone to make such an item. It was actually pretty bad ass, but trying to get approval from "N", was a wasted effort from the start.

It normally depends on the content and what may or may not be used. I think as long as your just reporting on games and giving details, you can pretty much do what you want. It's only when you want to use certain names or copyrights in the books titles, is when you have issues.

Yeah the punch out one is the one that came to mind.  It's intersting that SEGA is helping this guy out. I've never tried for licensing from Nintendo but a friend of mine has licenced a lot of stuff like DBZ, Marvel comics, hannah barberra cartoons, etc. I've had a few different ideas, but yeah Nintendo seems to be the missing piece of the puzzle.

#295 wilflare

wilflare

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 December 2013 - 11:10 AM

Is there still a hard copy for Sonic? hoping to grab one for my brother

#296 Thrakker

Thrakker

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 December 2013 - 02:07 PM

Anyone know how long Udon takes to ship usually? I picked up a few HCs in their Christmas sale, order says it's processing.

#297 cjenvy

cjenvy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 December 2013 - 08:48 PM

Is there still a hard copy for Sonic? hoping to grab one for my brother

yes its still readily available http://www.amazon.co...ic the hedgehog

in other news has anyone heard anything from pix n love on the history of mario and whether it will in fact release next week

im amazed somehow sonic's release went smooth but pretty much every other english translation they did is unreleased or handled so poorly that its barely available and grossly overpriced re history of nintendo

#298 Pookymeister

Pookymeister

I like almonds

• Super Moderators

Posted 31 December 2013 - 09:11 PM

I placed 4 orders on Black Friday at the Udonstore and haven't heard a peep from them since. Orders still say processing. Based on my experience I wouldn't bother with them.

#299 Action!

Action!

King Koopa.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 January 2014 - 12:30 AM

Grabbed the Knights of Iris artbook for Fire Emblem: Awakening recently. Game's got some gorgeous design work. Full of really cool armor and clothing breakdowns.

I draw sometimes.  UPDATED: 6/28/14   Child of Light       |      Trade List

Hey, I'm selling prints now. http://society6.com/...nKazimer/prints

The game that I animate for is now in early access! Try out Lichdom: Battlemage!

#300 chrislaustin

chrislaustin

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 January 2014 - 12:56 AM

yes its still readily available http://www.amazon.co...ic the hedgehog

in other news has anyone heard anything from pix n love on the history of mario and whether it will in fact release next week

im amazed somehow sonic's release went smooth but pretty much every other english translation they did is unreleased or handled so poorly that its barely available and grossly overpriced re history of nintendo

Pix n' Love delivers a great product, but sadly, they aren't the best when it comes to updates or new information. I preordered their DMC Dante book awhile ago, and it just showed up in the mail one day a few months ago. No alert or shipping confirmation. It was supposed to ship with a DVD, and there was none, so when I rechecked their ad for the book, they removed it right after shipping. That wasn't cool at all. They should have contacted buyers and said the DVD wasn't happening and see if we still wanted the item. 

They where on a forum for awhile, as that's where they explained all the issues they had and why releases had been delayed. They reported awhile ago that all their issues had been worked out, but it doesn't seem so. They make about the best video game related books around, but as far as handling businesses go, my son could probably run a lemonade stand better. They have always delivered in the past, but it might take a few years of waiting.

I placed 4 orders on Black Friday at the Udonstore and haven't heard a peep from them since. Orders still say processing. Based on my experience I wouldn't bother with them.

I've only ordered from them a few times, and once it was perfect, and once it was not. I think there is one person answering questions, doing shipping, ect, as it took almost 4 weeks to get a refund and it didn't go smoothly. They make great products, but they have some of Pix n' Love's issues of no business skills in the CS department. Never order direct from either company unless it's a last resort, as it's a crap shoot when it comes to product delivery in a timely manner.