THE I just can't bring myself to finish this game THREAD

6er

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
From the creator of the "lying cheating game rant thread" and the "_______ is an underrattted game thread", comes an exciting new discussion!

What game can you just NOT finish?

I don't think I can get through the last 5% of the White Kinight Saga. I really enjoyed the first game, but now in the second with the "boss parade" at the end, and the fact I have to level for hours to get through it, the fact in the last 10 hours there hardly any new good gear to buy in the stores, you have to build it all, is getting on my nerves. It all happens at once
Your knight characters leave the party, the new gear isnt much of an upgrade, buying it costs all the money you get for 8 hours of grinding, and REALLY? I GRIND ALL GAME and all of a suddeen the points level explode so it takes forver to level up? GRRRR

Captain America Super Soldier:

Easy game to wade through all the mook enemies. Boss battles that are annoying timed button presses and QTE.

Kingdoms of Amalur: hated the combat, story, everything.
Darksiders/God of War series: These games are fun but it just gets boring for me somewhere around the middle and I can't finish them. God of War 3 was the first game I actually completed in the series but barely.

I have a few, but the one I keep going back to and that bugs me the most is Zelda II. I've tried to force myself to like it but I always quit after about 1/2 an hour.

also, Final Fantasy III. Got to the END boss, was doing fine until then. Only got close to beating him a couple of times, every other time wiped out my party within a few minutes. What killed me was the first few bosses in the final boss parade weren't that hard. Traded it in and Youtubed the ending.

There are two games that I started but could never bring myself to finish: Final Fantasy II (which just plain sucked) and Final Fantasy V (which I was enjoying but then there was this tower or something, and I just couldn't make myself go on).

[quote name='6er']also, Final Fantasy III. Got to the END boss, was doing fine until then. Only got close to beating him a couple of times, every other time wiped out my party within a few minutes. What killed me was the first few bosses in the final boss parade weren't that hard. Traded it in and Youtubed the ending.[/QUOTE]

I felt that way with every boss in FFIII... every one of them would dominate until one (or more) of my party members died and then it was suddenly easy. Of course, this was made more annoying as there wasn't a save before most bosses. After a while, I said fuck it, and just use a cheat code on the R4.

Final Fantasy 4.

Everyone kept dying then coming back to life. It got really repetitive. And idk, I just wasn't interested in the story or gameplay anymore...

Also, FFXIII. After it opened up I was kinda overwhelmed. It went from corridor to corridor, then just BAM open map, do whatever.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='OrangeArmy']I have a few, but the one I keep going back to and that bugs me the most is Zelda II. I've tried to force myself to like it but I always quit after about 1/2 an hour.[/QUOTE]

If it's because of the difficulty or you just don't know where to go, I'd say just use a guide. That's what I did with Metroid, I really wanted to beat the game but didn't have the slightest idea where to go. So I used a guide and still loved the game.

I've had this problem with numerous RPGs but the Final Fantasy series jumps out at me more than anything, specifically 12 and 13.

I actually really enjoyed 12 and clocked a lot of time into it, but toward the end I just started to get frustrated and I couldn't quite get it finished up. The amount of time and grinding required to get the necessary equipment and move across the license board just made me want to stop playing.

13, lol. I made it a little ways down the long tunnel and decided enough was enough.

I never used to have this problem but I have so many game available to me now, I run into it.

For some reason I am really struggling to finish Deus Ex. I loved it at first but lost interest.

Fallout New Vegas is hard to finish too.

I also started Radiata Stories and I love the open world in the game but I have not liked a Japanese RPG in a long time. I was feeling this game up until I started to work with the elves and stuff and now I just lost interest. I just think those kinds of characters really turn me off.

Devil Summoner 2 - I quit playing a while ago and tried getting back into it. I'm kinda lost in the story. I don't know were I'm supposed to go.

Castlevania: Dracula X (TG-16) - I'm at Death and I can't beat him. I checked out some Youtube videos to help me out but to no avail. I really want to finish this game since it's one of the few Castlevania games I've yet to beat. Death just intimidates the hell out of me and I'm too much of a puss to keep at it. I figure it's a lost cause.

Startropics - I really like this game but I'm stuck at a certain dungeon. It's a shame I didn't play this when I was younger. Back then I whould've had the drive to keep going.

Star Ocean 3: Till the End of Time.

The AI pissed me off so bad in battle. I tried to change their tactics many times, but they always die. Then if I switch to other party members to save them, my main character goes and dies instead. Love the series, but if I can't get past the battle system, the game is a pain to play.

[quote name='tylerh1701']If it's because of the difficulty or you just don't know where to go, I'd say just use a guide. That's what I did with Metroid, I really wanted to beat the game but didn't have the slightest idea where to go. So I used a guide and still loved the game.[/QUOTE]

Probably a bit of both plus I always seem to be starting from the beginning. Started with the NES one about 20 years ago at a friends house - play for half an hour, died, started from the beginning and then decided to move on to something else. Tried again on the gamecube collectors disk when that came out and most recently with the embassador download on the 3DS. The last one I literally fell asleep playing it twice - waking up with the near dead 3DS on my chest on the couch. Perhaps I'll take your advise and try it one more time with a guide...

Fallout: New Vegas - I had the same problem with Fallout 3 until my roommate started playing it too. For some reason having someone else play it made it more fun, and we were both playing New Vegas, but she eventually stopped and now I just can't get into it

FF9 - I honestly don't know for sure what it is about this game. On paper it sounds like everything I like in an RPG, but I just can't get into it.

FF12 - I felt like I was playing C-Span: The Video Game. I usually don't care that much about story, but it was sooo boring that I just gave up.

Darksiders - Also not sure why this one got boring for me, but at least I got this one free from work.

Recently it's been The Last Story. Somewhere between the cheesy story and bizarre battle system I've just lost interest. I'll probably go back so I can at least feel justified in buying it.

I also quit New Vegas before the end, simply because the glitches were making it impossible to get the ending I wanted (at least one NPC I had to talk to had simply disappeared.)

[quote name='OrangeArmy']Probably a bit of both plus I always seem to be starting from the beginning. Started with the NES one about 20 years ago at a friends house - play for half an hour, died, started from the beginning and then decided to move on to something else. Tried again on the gamecube collectors disk when that came out and most recently with the embassador download on the 3DS. The last one I literally fell asleep playing it twice - waking up with the near dead 3DS on my chest on the couch. Perhaps I'll take your advise and try it one more time with a guide...[/QUOTE]

I think it's a really good and under appreciated game. But if you just can't make it though then...well I guess that's what this thread is all about.

Also, another one popped into my mind. Half Life 2. I played it years after it released on Xbox, found it boring as hell.

Rage. Eh.

Assassin's Creed: Revelations. I usually the enjoy Assassin's Creed series but everything just seems so burdensome. "Where's my damn horse?"

I'll finish it one of these days, I guess.

[quote name='Kidd Mischief']Rage. Eh.[/QUOTE]

Oh god. I was so happy when it was finally over. I went through the last 3 hours trying to rush through so it'd end. And it finally did.

[quote name='Kidd Mischief']Rage. Eh.

Assassin's Creed: Revelations. I usually the enjoy Assassin's Creed series but everything just seems so burdensome. "Where's my damn horse?"

I'll finish it one of these days, I guess.[/QUOTE]

Revelations sucked. It's a filler. Just Youtube the ending and wait for ACIII. Done

Prototype. I Kinda just don't care, which is weird because I LOVED Hulk: Ultimate Destruction, but the controls and the same mission after the other do nothing for me.

Shadow of the Colossus. I Enjoy the fights, but the journey to get to them and the lack of real narrative really do nothing to help push me toward wanting to beat it.

Dark Sector. I just can't get myself to continue playing.

I got pinned down by the computer opponents at one part. Seems like the character's health is lower now that he's infected.

Damn Xenoblade. Got to the second half of that level 68 Gadolt boss and got my ass whooped so many times I just gave up. I really wanted to like this game but I have to grind so much its not even fun at all, it feels like a waste of time.

FF13 - boring and couldn't get into the lame story
Skyrim - loved Fallout 3 but didn't dig Skyrim as much. Guess the up close combat and setting didn't do it for me.
NBA 2k - to this day have never actually finished a full season without letting the computer sim it.

Superbrothers: swords & swocery. I was doing good at the game, looking up some guides. Then I reached where I had to wait for a certain phase of moon. It was 6 days later so I waited til then and didn't touch it ever since.

I'm gonna get around to it sometime..

Xenogears. I died after that really, really long cutscene and I couldn't make myself sit through it again. I really loved that game but I just couldn't do it.

Majora's Mask. One of the very few Zelda games I haven't completed. Every time I start it, the time limit turns me off and I move to something else. I will finish it one of these days, damnit.

Here's a funny anecdote for Metroid Prime. I played the shit of it on Gamecube but never could beat this one boss. I figured I'd gotten my money's worth and gave up after a handful of tries. Fast forward to the Wii remake and I played through it again up to that boss. Knocked out the boss with little to no problem and... roll credits. :lol: I had no idea I was that friggin close all those years ago, I would have given it a few more tries.

As for more recently, I put in Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena last week and I doubt I'll finish it. I loved the first but really can't stand or have the patience for stealth games anymore. I only played an hour or so and was already getting frustrated.

Also, Crackdown 2. Gave that one a few hours, mostly hunting for orbs and it was clear the magic was gone. The game is absolute garbage. Microsoft really screwed the pooch on that franchise. The first is still a blast.

Shadow hearts 2, I just got
that fortune telling chick on the team
, but I have been slowly losing interest and I think I may put it up on my trade list without finishing it. Someone plz tell me it gets better or its worth it.

assassins creed brotherhood. first and last assassins creed ive played. i liked the multiplayer for a short while. never got into the story though...

[quote name='Rodimus']Revelations sucked. It's a filler. Just Youtube the ending and wait for ACIII. Done[/QUOTE]

Aww I loved Revelations.

The outfits that the cityfolk wore were beautiful. The underground missions were the best to date.

However the bombs were annoying. I'm not a big fan of bombs and grenades in games, they never feel right to me. Hopefully motion controls will fix that.

[quote name='camoor']Aww I loved Revelations.

The outfits that the cityfolk wore were beautiful. The underground missions were the best to date.

However the bombs were annoying. I'm not a big fan of bombs and grenades in games, they never feel right to me. Hopefully motion controls will fix that.[/QUOTE]

The main story part of Revelations was good (not as good as 2 or Brotherhood, but still good), but the Desmond 1st person parts were awful. I did the first 2 but couldn't bring myself to even try the last 3.

I usually try to fully complete the AC games to get all the story (like finding all the hidden clues in 2 and Brotherhood), but the Desmond parts of Revelations didn't seem like they were worth it.

Revelations felt completly passable. It's just more of the same serving only to wrap up Ezio and Altiar's story. Never used bombs, hated the defense game, Desmond's story didn't go anywhere. But what I hated the most was that they got rid of the glyph puzzles in favor of that that 1st person platforming crap.

The core gameplay is still solid and I enjoyed it well enough, but like I said, it's the same game with a few gimmicks thrown that just didn't work all too well. I could totally understand if someone wanted to skip it.

[quote name='Rodimus']Revelations felt completly passable. It's just more of the same serving only to wrap up Ezio and Altiar's story. Never used bombs, hated the defense game, Desmond's story didn't go anywhere. But what I hated the most was that they got rid of the glyph puzzles in favor of that that 1st person platforming crap.

The core gameplay is still solid and I enjoyed it well enough, but like I said, it's the same game with a few gimmicks thrown that just didn't work all too well. I could totally understand if someone wanted to skip it.[/QUOTE]

yeah Im REALLY glad to hear they could out all the crap like bomb making in ACIII and are focing on basics and new combat. The series was turning into a action-JRPG with weapon creation.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 for PS3. I know the reviews were horrible but it was $5 at Target and I have all the other games in the series. It is so tedious, battle enemies over and over again with a few stealth missions thrown in. I'll probably finish it eventually but haven't played the game in close to a month. I do want to finish it so I can start on the Part 2 game which I hear is a little better than Part 1.

Also Mario Sunshine. Although I hate the idea of not finishing a Mario game, I hate that you have to get at least 6 (I think) Shines in every level to open up the last level. There are some challenges I just can't complete (like the one where you have to clean the beach in 3 minutes). I liked that in Mario 64 you only needed 70 stars to get to the ending but I liked the game enough to get all 120 stars.

Although I did finish the game last year, GTA 4. It took me 3 1/2 years of playing the game and then not going back to it for months a few times to finish it until I got to the last few missions and just wanted to finish it even though I wasn't enjoying the game that much. I don't know what it was about the game that I didn't like besides the driving controls but it just wasn't as fun to play as the PS2 games. San Andreas is my favorite PS2 game. I replayed San Andreas and GTA 3 but don't see myself playing GTA 4 again.

Oh ya, GTA IV is another one I just couldn't bring myself to finish. I got about half way through and every mission started blending together and got extremely boring. I totally have to agree with the comments on GTA IV that Rockstar sucked 100% of the fun out of the game.

Mario Sunshine was definitely the toughest Mario game I've played. It and SMG2 are the only 2 core Mario games I never 100%'d. Sunshine because it was tough and SMG2 because I thought the "2nd set" of 120 stars was kind of lame...I'm sure some of those were extremely tough as well.

[quote name='tylerh1701']...SMG2 because I thought the "2nd set" of 120 stars was kind of lame...I'm sure some of those were extremely tough as well.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. I worked my ass off to get all 120 stars and then the green ones are just scattered across the map that I have to find. I started going through with a guide, but stopped. About 3o green stars down and its just too tedious.

PSP God of Wars. Could be that I tried playing Origins Collection right after playing Arkham Asylum, but the games felt completely empty and bare bones compared to GoW 1/2, especially 2.

[quote name='Predator21281']Yeah. I worked my ass off to get all 120 stars and then the green ones are just scattered across the map that I have to find. I started going through with a guide, but stopped. About 3o green stars down and its just too tedious.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. I thought you would have to "earn" the green stars, not just "collect" them from the maps.

I don't own any games right now that I've just been "unable to finish", but I used to own Baten Kaitos for Gamecube and for some reason could not finish the game even though I loved it. I went on month-long binge of playing the game then would get burnt out, then start up again. This happened 3 times or so and I probably had 70 hours in the game, but never did finish it.

Also some Japanese GBA games that I had where I got far into the game then just hit a wall because I would get stuck and probably only be able to advance if I could read Japanese. Two games in this category would be Magical Vacation and Robopon 2 Ring version. What was I doing trying to play Japanese RPGs when I couldn't read Japanese? Hell if I know, I was 15 or so.

+1 for Metroid Prime - confusing as hell the deeper I got into it. Never again.

+1 for any GTA game - I get the most out of just car jacking and doing all the illegal stuff in the game... and see how long I can get away with it without getting caught. TO ME, that's "finishing the game". :D

Dead Island
Playing it just feels like such a chore its just going from point a to point b and on the way to point b you run into people who need you to run across the map to look for a bear.

I think this game takes the two worst parts of l4d and DR and sticks them together.
it has slow zombies like DR and a low count of zombies like l4d

But in l4d the zombie count was low but it compensated by having vicious zombies.
And in DR the zombies may have been slow but there where dozens of them on the screen.

how it won game of the year is beyond me.

(btw i think l4d and DR are great games. a low zombie count is great when you have fast zombies and slow zombies are great when you have a large number of zombies but a low count of zombies with slow zombies is just dull.)

bread's done
Back