Photo
- - - - -

Neo Geo X Gold/Handheld/Joystick preorders up GS/Amazon/BB/Target/Walmart 200/130/50

• Please log in to reply
857 replies to this topic

#421 z3razerviper

z3razerviper

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:45 AM

After receiving my cancellation email from Best Buy, I immediately ordered another system from Wal-Mart. Got a shipment email the next day with a tracking number, and it should arrive via FedEx Wednesday.

I'm sure someone else will post before then, but I definitely plan to open my system, so I'll put up a mini review sometime shortly afterwards.

They canceled on you? Ug

#422 spiderdog

spiderdog

$59.99 for a Game no Way!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:54 AM

They canceled on you? Ug

When did you preorder from Bestbuy?
I ordered Nov 29 and they told me no go few days ago, but I did recieve the 100 code.
Did you just preorder.
Trying to figure out what Best buy is doing with this since I have gift cards to use.
Posted Image

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← →B A
PSN=spiderdog
XBL=Spiderdogg

#423 Sion

Sion

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:03 AM

Yet to get mine canceled still but no signs whether it is going to be shipped or not. Ordered mine Nov. 28th sorta hoping they do cancel it so I get the $100 since I already have a backup ordered at walmart now.

#424 Sion

Sion

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:33 AM

I have question about the $100 credit they have been sending out, is it a code that you apply at checkout on your next purchase or is it just tied to your account already. Also do you need to have a rewards account to be eligible to get it, because I have one but I have only just signed up recently for it. My instore purchases have been showing up on it but my online ones have not so far even though I linked my online store account and rewards account already. Just worried that I might not get this $100 credit because of this.

#425 Green Card200

Green Card200

The Time Mage

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:41 AM

Why did BB cancel orders? Its still up for preorder on the website.

#426 Sion

Sion

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:10 AM

Why did BB cancel orders? Its still up for preorder on the website.

No one really knows. Kind of wish the people who had theirs cancelled would contact customer service and ask them what went wrong but so far no one has so far. I'm guessing no one really has anything to complain about especially since they are giving $100 credit on the cancelled orders. I probably would not bother calling in either if mine was cancelled myself. At the moment I have a backup ordered at Walmart but I kind of feel bad for the ppl who do not know about this yet.

#427 z3razerviper

z3razerviper

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:41 AM

I ordered 12/8 still not canceled but a 100 dollar credit would make me happy.

#428 Cloggerdude

Cloggerdude

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:32 AM

When did you preorder from Bestbuy?
I ordered Nov 29 and they told me no go few days ago, but I did recieve the 100 code.
Did you just preorder.
Trying to figure out what Best buy is doing with this since I have gift cards to use.

I ordered on the 29th as well and received the code.

For all you guys freaking out about your order, I should mention that I did receive an e-mail a few days after my initial order stating that the item was on backorder. From what I can tell, many of you didn't receive such an e-mail, so I would assume your orders would be okay. I don't really have any solid proof of that, but still...

#429 ProphetZero

ProphetZero

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:44 AM

No one answered my question. They just had butt hurt responses. Why is this so popular? It was released in 1991 and I never even heard of it being anywhere near competition during the Nintendo era of handhelds and consoles. Hell growing up I never even heard of it. Why is it $200? The $200 is what makes me question why someone would even buy this. I for one would not even buy a 3DS at that price which is so much cheaper than this. Hell a Wii is cheaper than this so what is the big deal?

#430 chimpmeister

chimpmeister

Hates gimmicks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:47 AM

I think Best Buy is going to be shipping these. Ordered one from there a few days ago, and the charge by Best Buy hit my CC, so they're getting ready to ship, in my opinion. Not sure why they cancelled earlier orders, maybe they couldn't get the stock at first, then were able to get it later.

On another note, the joystick by itself is apparently not available at Target anymore . . . but does still show up at Toys R Us. But I had an order for two sticks from TRU a few weeks ago, and they cancelled those without notice, so don't depend on TRU as your only source.

#431 Halo05

Halo05

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:52 AM

No one answered my question. They just had butt hurt responses. Why is this so popular? It was released in 1991 and I never even heard of it being anywhere near competition during the Nintendo era of handhelds and consoles. Hell growing up I never even heard of it. Why is it $200? The $200 is what makes me question why someone would even buy this. I for one would not even buy a 3DS at that price which is so much cheaper than this. Hell a Wii is cheaper than this so what is the big deal?

If you don't get it, there's nothing that anyone here can say to make you get it.

I do remember Neo Geo's being for sale in stores back in the day at $600 for the system and around $200 for each game. It was amazing at the time because the games were exactly the same as the arcade titles. No half-assed ports, no missing frames of animation, no sound quality concessions.

Now granted, Fatal Fury at home (or even in portable form) isn't as impressive as it used to be but for many of us, $200 to recapture some part of that forbidden fruit from our childhoods is worth the $200. Hell, I own an AES system, a Neo Geo CD, and a CDZ and I'm still buying this.

A legit copy of Ninja Masters on CD runs close to $100 and the AES cart is much, much more. I'll probably get my money's worth just with the initial $200 investment, moreso if they release more games over the coming months.

As many of you know, black ops 2 is plaid with bugs, lag etc which many people have been suffering including me.

plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid

#432 anarch

anarch

And all that could have been...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:56 AM

I had an order for two sticks from TRU a few weeks ago, and they cancelled those without notice, so don't depend on TRU as your only source.

TRU cancelled a bunch of those joystick orders because the "buy one get one 50% off" promotion wasn't supposed to apply to them. It's one of the last places to pick one up (for now) so hop on it if you want one.

#433 GohanX

GohanX

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:58 AM

The Neo Geo was never meant to be competition to the Genesis or SNES of the time, it was a luxury home system that played the identical games as the Neo Geo MVS setups in the arcade. The system was so far ahead of its time that it wasn't until the Dreamcast in 1999 that another home system could reasonably port the more advanced games.

The pricing at launch was $700 for the system and around $200 for each game. As such, the vast majority of us couldn't dream of buying it way back when it was popular. The Neo Geo X is the next best thing, provided the thing gets support.

Me personally? I've got a Neo home system, a consolized MVS setup, and a CD system. I mainly want the handheld itself, as fighters are unplayable on my hacked PSP, but the system does have some games built in that I don't have on any of my systems. I'm especially looking forward to League Bowling, Baseball Stars 2, and Ninja Masters since I don't own any of those in any form.

#434 Green Card200

Green Card200

The Time Mage

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:07 AM

Aw man that trailer makes me want to get one. I might have to once I get those BB gift cards in.

#435 Sion

Sion

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:15 AM

I find the $200 price to be just fine for the system plus this is the limited edition which comes with the docking station, joystick, and the Ninja Masters card which you need to take into account for. You can order the base system which is $129 and will not be released February and this is a good value for a portable system with this quantity of games already preloaded. I have purchased unofficial portable clones most being rebranded from Chinese manufacturers and were made with lowest quality parts possible at around $100 and I found those to be fair and enjoyed them. This is the probably the best quality I have seen for reproduction system that is portable and the best thing is that it is official and that is what made me go for this thing.

#436 Cloggerdude

Cloggerdude

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:41 AM

I concur with everything else that has already been said about this. For me, I've always been in love with the Neo Geo system and, after recently having a full sized arcade Neo Geo purchase fall through, this just fit perfectly for me.

That being said, you now have 4 replies to your question. It's quite obvious that you're not interested in this system and that is perfectly fine, but making any more posts like the above in this thread would basically just be trolling.

#437 PikaPichu

PikaPichu

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:41 AM

If you don't get it, there's nothing that anyone here can say to make you get it.

I do remember Neo Geo's being for sale in stores back in the day at $600 for the system and around $200 for each game. It was amazing at the time because the games were exactly the same as the arcade titles. No half-assed ports, no missing frames of animation, no sound quality concessions.

Now granted, Fatal Fury at home (or even in portable form) isn't as impressive as it used to be but for many of us, $200 to recapture some part of that forbidden fruit from our childhoods is worth the $200. Hell, I own an AES system, a Neo Geo CD, and a CDZ and I'm still buying this.

A legit copy of Ninja Masters on CD runs close to $100 and the AES cart is much, much more. I'll probably get my money's worth just with the initial $200 investment, moreso if they release more games over the coming months.

Agreed. Whether he means to or not, his questions almost come off as trolling. If he doesn't get it and is comparing it to Nintendo systems (old and new), he never will. I'm looking forward to playing those games on an old school CRT with those joysticks. :D

edit: Nice avatar btw!

#438 ProphetZero

ProphetZero

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:21 AM

They were serious questions because I really have never heard of the system until recently and finding out it was released in 1991 and is now being re released for $200 made me question it. Thank you to the past posters who did answer my question kindly. I might pick it up eventually after reading the past posts.

#439 Kenshindono

Kenshindono

I'm on a Boat!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:23 AM

I forgot about this. I tried to get some info on it a few weeks ago but no one at GS or BBY knew a damn thing about it. When i finally decided id just say screw it and pre-order it at GS, they said they weren't taking pre-orders for the gold edition.. or whatever the one with the controler and everything was =( Ah well, guess im not getting one of these

Can anyone clarify just what the heck this IS? I thought it was a console but i guess its a handheld.. and the console looking thing is a docking station or something? If thats the case, how the hell do you hook up 2 controllers to it? most of the games look like 2 player affairs

They were serious questions because I really have never heard of the system until recently and finding out it was released in 1991 and is now being re released for $200 made me question it. Thank you to the past posters who did answer my question kindly. I might pick it up eventually after reading the past posts.

so since something is old its not worth anything? I guess a Ferrari F40 should be cheap as hell too since it came out around '91 too, right?
My massive game collection list: (work in progress, pain in the butt getting it all entered)
\-Clicky Here-\

#440 TheOpusFuller

TheOpusFuller

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:26 AM

I forgot about this. I tried to get some info on it a few weeks ago but no one at GS or BBY knew a damn thing about it. When i finally decided id just say screw it and pre-order it at GS, they said they weren't taking pre-orders for the gold edition.. or whatever the one with the controler and everything was =( Ah well, guess im not getting one of these

Can anyone clarify just what the heck this IS? I thought it was a console but i guess its a handheld.. and the console looking thing is a docking station or something? If thats the case, how the hell do you hook up 2 controllers to it? most of the games look like 2 player affairs

The docking station acts as the console. You open up a lid, plug the Neo geo handheld inside and the docking station outputs to your tv. You're able to hook up two control paddles to the docking station for multiplayer games.

#441 technicalstylez

technicalstylez

Colors User

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:58 AM

sounds like the only butthurt person here is you for not knowing what neogeo is and why so many people want it. and oh look, u decided u want to get one now because everyone else does. typical.

my tradelist: http://www.cheapassg...718#post8655718

now playing:

-insert DC icon here- GUNLORD :hot:

#442 i23mix

i23mix

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:48 AM

My Amazon order status says "Shipping Soon" :whee:

#443 battousai11

battousai11

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:47 AM

I pre-ordered on 12/1 and haven't heard anything from BB. Still says Status not Available.

#444 zaxxon2000

zaxxon2000

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:45 PM

I will pickup my Gamestop order tomorrow with an extra joystick. I pre ordered in August. It has been fun to just to expect this system. I am 46 years old. Order this-you won't be sorry.

#445 ProphetZero

ProphetZero

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:53 PM

so since something is old its not worth anything? I guess a Ferrari F40 should be cheap as hell too since it came out around '91 too, right?

Stupid comparison. I would not pay $200 for a N64 or even a PS2. If a next gen system costs less than that (Xbox 360, Wii) then $200 for a system released over 20 years ago is not a good price.

Its all based on nostalgia and because its got a (special edition) wording slapped onto it people will flock over it.

I stated my question and got some good answers. Idiots still responding to old posts that have already been solved just look like well...idiots.

#446 GohanX

GohanX

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:41 PM

My Amazon order status says "Shipping Soon" :whee:

I just checked, mine too! JOY!

#447 dallow

dallow

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:17 PM

Posted Image

#448 Nerdstick

Nerdstick

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:30 PM

I wish they released the standalone unit alongside the bundle, there are so many people that immediately dismiss it upon seeing '200' comparing it to other handhelds..

Even if you've never played a NeoGeo /fan, this is probably the best way to get the chance. And personally I'm just a handheld fan, this thing has huge homebrew potential.

My Amazon order is Shipping Soon as well. :)

#449 Yars

Yars

I'd buy that for a dollar!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:31 PM

Someone has got to explain to me what the big deal about this is.

They were serious questions because I really have never heard of the system until recently ...

Its all based on nostalgia ...

You pretty much answered your own question. Since you admittedly don't have any history with the system, there's probably not a whole lot that anyone can say that will convince you that it's worth the purchase, but I'll try anyway...

The system originally cost about $600 in the early 90s. The games were $200 a pop. Originally the system was never even intended to be sold to the public, it was only suppose to be used in arcades and rented out in high-end hotels. Fans came to SNK and asked for a consumer version, regardless of the cost. The cost is the whole reason the system wasn't widely accepted.

A lot of kids who grew up in the 90s playing Neo Geo games in the arcade could never hope to afford the system. From the perspective of a current Neo Geo fan this console + 20 games might seem like a steal at $200. For those without a history of the system, yeah... it would clearly seem overpriced.

As far as I've seen the extent of publicity for this portable has been limited to them sending a PR guy to some gaming sites for hands-on impressions. The USB controller has been constructed to stay as close to the original design as possible. So far the only games announced for the system are titles from their back catalog. They are clearly banking on nostalgia.

This is a niche product for a niche market. Obviously they're not going to sell a whole lot of units. In order to justify the production costs they have to charge $200 a unit if they hope to break even.

#450 bobphone

bobphone

So what if I'm a gay man?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:04 PM

The cheapest legal way to play all these games is still to get them all on your PSP/Vita. Having said that, I'm an idiot, and mine should be here today. And it will sit right next to my PSP and Vita :(