Photo
- - - - -

Neo Geo X Gold/Handheld/Joystick preorders up GS/Amazon/BB/Target/Walmart 200/130/50

• Please log in to reply
857 replies to this topic

#31 ryosnk

ryosnk

I'm a super patriot.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2012 - 04:59 PM

Being a neo geo fan I'm very intrigued by this product but I need more info on it's built and game distribution.

#32 Kaijuboy

Kaijuboy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2012 - 05:04 PM

The dock features HDMI out, and the 1st reports indicate that it plays ALL ROMS off any SD card. (Just like the Portable Genesis that is also put out by Blaze [I believe]). So the "Pre-order Bonus" of Ninja Masters is kind of a joke. ;)

Whole NeoGeo ROM library playable via handheld or on your TV with HDMI *AND* with an arcade microswith joystick for $200 is a STEAL.

Saving the World, One Game at a Time!

#33 wugenius

wugenius

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2012 - 05:20 PM

Really tempted. I love the NEO GEO, and still hope to track an actual multislot arcade for my game room.
If anything to own this as a collector's item.

#34 FurryCurry

FurryCurry

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2012 - 05:38 PM

The dock features HDMI out, and the 1st reports indicate that it plays ALL ROMS off any SD card. (Just like the Portable Genesis that is also put out by Blaze [I believe]). So the "Pre-order Bonus" of Ninja Masters is kind of a joke. ;)

Whole NeoGeo ROM library playable via handheld or on your TV with HDMI *AND* with an arcade microswith joystick for $200 is a STEAL.

Got sources on your "Plays ALL ROMS"?

Buy everything! QUICK!

Posted Image

Forget the old lady! Shop! NOW!

#35 gamecube ichiban

gamecube ichiban

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2012 - 05:47 PM

yeah, I'd like a link too

#36 laseractive

laseractive

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2012 - 05:53 PM

I got to play with one of these for about 10 minutes and was really impressed. The price though is just too much. It is a nice piece of hardware and maybe if the price drops I will be interested.

#37 Masterkyo

Masterkyo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2012 - 06:02 PM

I collected every NEOGEO games on consoles. I look forward to see how many games NEO-GEO release in 2013. Hope i able to get one under $150 :)
"Evil is Funs"

#38 Kaijuboy

Kaijuboy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2012 - 06:52 PM

It was listed in one of the very 1st articles (I think on Engadget) talking about this before it was officially confirmed.

And Blaze (the company making this) also has a (officially licensed) Genesis unit out that similarly lists "SD Expansion Slot", and it plays all Gen ROMS. Even though they dont "officially" say that anywhere...

#39 MIX_MASTER_ICE

MIX_MASTER_ICE

The Night Stalker

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2012 - 07:03 PM

In the spring these will be clearanced out for probably 49.99. That's about all it's worth.

1.pngdefault.png IMAG0005.jpg

#40 Kaijuboy

Kaijuboy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2012 - 07:07 PM

In the spring these will be clearanced out for probably 49.99. That's about all it's worth.

If these were carried in stores, yes. But seeing as how they'll only be online or niche specialty stores, it wont happen. The companies other handhelds have held their price for a couple of years now.

#41 bojay1997

bojay1997

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2012 - 07:17 PM

It was listed in one of the very 1st articles (I think on Engadget) talking about this before it was officially confirmed.

And Blaze (the company making this) also has a (officially licensed) Genesis unit out that similarly lists "SD Expansion Slot", and it plays all Gen ROMS. Even though they dont "officially" say that anywhere...

Pure speculation. They haven't even released final photos of the design yet and they pulled the promo video they did a few days back. While their other products can play ROMS and can be hacked, there's no guarantee this one can be. I wish everyone would just stop imposing a wish list on this thing and wait for actual details and facts.

#42 yantelope

yantelope

F.A.C.S Alumnus

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2012 - 08:00 PM

I'd rather spend the money on an actual AES Gold system on ebay.

#43 thakingrocka

thakingrocka

El Profesor

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2012 - 08:34 PM

Ninja Master's what?

#44 Jack_Frost

Jack_Frost

Posted 14 September 2012 - 08:45 PM

hm...should I take a chance on neogeo again? I remember getting the last one and then went to gamestop not long after to hear "it got discontinued" :( haunts me to this day!

#45 The Legendary R

The Legendary R

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:58 PM

I must own 2 of these.

#46 Wanderinger

Wanderinger

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2012 - 10:06 PM

What is this? Can anyone explain this to me?

NG and NG pocket were from the early 90s right?

While the Neo Geo arcade and home systems were from early 90's, the Neo Geo Pocket and Neo Geo Pocket Color were from 1999-2000ish, I think.

I have a special place in my heart for each of those systems, but this thing confuses me. I still have a Neo Geo Pocket Color, but that doesn't seem to relate to this system in any way. Every game I loved for the original machines I already have on some compilation disc for one system or another, so.....why would I buy this? And if I wanted to, why is it so expensive? Is this all about having it portable?

It looks cool, but, given the track record of anything Neo Geo here in the states, I can't see this doing anything besides crashing and burning. I will be sad, but I just don't think many people will pay this much for a handful of 20-year-old games.

#47 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

Look at that deal. It's so great!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 September 2012 - 11:04 AM

I would be willing to get this system, but I can't imagine people would pay for 20 year old games either. SNK Playmore isn't doing that good of a job marketing their games on other systems anyway.

Braving the pillow gauntlet.

Posted Image

#48 VyseArcad1a

VyseArcad1a

New Mirror's Edge?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 September 2012 - 01:50 PM

This looks so badass. I want it...

47206.png
Currently Playing:
:ps3: Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z, Earth Defense Force 2025, South Park: The Stick of Truth
:3ds: Rhythm Thief, Animal Crossing: New Leaf
:psp: Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed, DJ Max Technika Tune, Rayman Origins

#49 KillerRamen

KillerRamen

OMG Lilac PSP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 September 2012 - 01:56 PM

I want this too... I never had a Neo Geo before and I think it would be really fun to have.
Posted Image

#50 gldoorii

gldoorii

What the...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 September 2012 - 02:52 PM

So..people are pre-ordering this and there is no news whatsoever about any games outside the built-in and pre-order ones? I can't believe people are dropping that much money... It would be different if we were told pricing etc and what games will be available later one.

#51 Versafied

Versafied

Formerly known as vlv723

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 September 2012 - 02:54 PM

I would be willing to get this system, but I can't imagine people would pay for 20 year old games either. SNK Playmore isn't doing that good of a job marketing their games on other systems anyway.

It's for nostalgic purposes. I rented a Neo-Geo system back in the 90s for the weekend and I had a big ass party at my house when the neighborhood kids found out that I had one. Played nothing but Samurai Shodown II and Super Sidekicks.

Maybe it's a lil too much but it's the authentic look of it, especially the joystick controllers. Since they threw a handheld system to go along with it, now I'm really tempted.

I believe the gamers who grew up on the mid-90s Gen consoles (PSX/Saturn/N64) would say "WTF is a Neo-Geo?"

#52 thrinn

thrinn

I'd buy that for a dollar!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 September 2012 - 03:04 PM

So..people are pre-ordering this and there is no news whatsoever about any games outside the built-in and pre-order ones? I can't believe people are dropping that much money...

One of the most noticable points of the Neo Geo was its high cost. Only a select few stores would bother to try to sell Neo Geo carts at their $200 MSRP. That's about $315 a game if you account for inflation. Sure, these games are extremely old by this point, but $200 for the system and what originally was $4000+ worth of software seems like a deal. I guess it's a "you had to be there" appeal to this system.

They also probably figure that it'll be easier to turn a profit when they sell the system for $200 rather than trying to sell twice as many systems for $100 each. The pricing is in line with what SNK is asking for these games on other platforms. Neo Geo games cost $10 each on Wiiware & $9 each on PSN. You could look at this as if you're 20 games for $200 with the system thrown in for free.

#53 NeoStrider

NeoStrider

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 September 2012 - 03:07 PM

I'll wait til its cheaper, don't care what a Neo Geo use to cost, its not the 90s anymore

#54 FurryCurry

FurryCurry

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 September 2012 - 03:52 PM

So..people are pre-ordering this and there is no news whatsoever about any games outside the built-in and pre-order ones? I can't believe people are dropping that much money... It would be different if we were told pricing etc and what games will be available later one.

Yup.

I'm just waiting on news about how easy it is to crack it to run emulators of other comparable systems. At the very least Sega 32x and back.

I'm pseudo whore for the Neo Geo clicky joystick so I'm super excited for this device.

#55 Gameboy415

Gameboy415

16-bits of awesome

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 September 2012 - 04:13 PM

I'm extremely interested in getting one but November's shaping up to be a VERY expensive month so I'm not sure I can afford one right away. :S

#56 h8b1llg8ts

h8b1llg8ts

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 September 2012 - 05:58 PM

I'm at the point where it's just to expensive to collect for the AES and my Neo Geo CDZ library is short of some great AES games. So buying this set up, in the off choice it will continue to be supported, is an acceptable alternitive.

If it sucks I'm sure a quick Ebay/CL sale wouldn't put me too far out.

Preorder in ...

#57 DANIEL

DANIEL

DANNY FAKnTASTIC

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 September 2012 - 06:39 PM

so only gamestop will sell this system?

DANNY_FAKnTASTIK.png

#58 chimpmeister

chimpmeister

Hates gimmicks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 September 2012 - 06:52 PM

so only gamestop will sell this system?

So far they are the only store that has it up for preorder, but it may become available from more retailers later.

#59 Nibi

Nibi

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 September 2012 - 07:51 PM

In for 1 Gold set. Contemplating an extra controller.
Current Hypewagon pick-
Spoiler

#60 realskillz

realskillz

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 September 2012 - 08:11 PM

I can tell this is aimed for a niche audience because paying 200 bucks seems pretty ridiculous for 2 decade old games.
currently playing witcher 2(360),dmc hd collection(ps3),persona 4(ps2)