Photo
- - - - -

Neo Geo X Gold/Handheld/Joystick preorders up GS/Amazon/BB/Target/Walmart 200/130/50

• Please log in to reply
857 replies to this topic

#61 anotherpoorgamer

anotherpoorgamer

Bird's Nest Hair

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 September 2012 - 11:45 PM

I'm probably better off buying the individual games off the PSN that aren't in any PS2 compilation since I own most of the compilation discs already.

#62 chimpmeister

chimpmeister

Hates gimmicks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 September 2012 - 01:17 AM

Updated OP with more details about CPU speed, System RAM, internal storage capacity, SD card storage limits, display resolution, and operating system. New info is at end of OP post.

#63 therealdanhill

therealdanhill

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 September 2012 - 01:29 AM

I want this bad, but they couldnt have picked a worse time to release. Going up against some blockbuster ganes and a system of all things. I can't see the price dropping much on these, can't imagine they would make a ton.

If it was cheaper, something like this would be a quick sell at gamestop for the price of a game. I could see people seeing value in the amount of games and the sort of niche appeal of NeoGeo, and the portability.

I don't get the decision to not have a GameCube disc reader on the system. Is it just to resell GCN games as eShop downloads later? Is it to keep the cost down? I can't imagine adding GameCube BC would cost a lot of money.

Posted Image

#64 airco

airco

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 September 2012 - 01:59 AM

I'm surprised that this is actually coming to America, but I'm still confused as to what reason this handheld has to exist. Is anyone going to buy a handheld with nothing but 15 year old games over a 3DS or even a Vita, especially when the former can actually emulate its entire back catalog? I'm sure that anyone that could care about these games would prefer them on any of the numerous digital distribution channels available today. That, and the pictures of the handheld have it stretch the 4:3 video to 16:9, an affront I consider comparable to Hitler's shenanigans.

On the other hand, if the stick is USB and works on X360, I may pick one of those up. I need a good shmup stick, and the Neo Geo sticks I've used have short throw distances.

#65 chimpmeister

chimpmeister

Hates gimmicks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 September 2012 - 02:24 AM

I'm surprised that this is actually coming to America, but I'm still confused as to what reason this handheld has to exist. Is anyone going to buy a handheld with nothing but 15 year old games over a 3DS or even a Vita, especially when the former can actually emulate its entire back catalog? I'm sure that anyone that could care about these games would prefer them on any of the numerous digital distribution channels available today. That, and the pictures of the handheld have it stretch the 4:3 video to 16:9, an affront I consider comparable to Hitler's shenanigans.

On the other hand, if the stick is USB and works on X360, I may pick one of those up. I need a good shmup stick, and the Neo Geo sticks I've used have short throw distances.

I will buy this system in a heartbeat (considering preordering now), if it does a decent job of emulating and displaying (via HDMI or handheld) Neo Geo games. I was a huge fan of their games back in the day, among my favorite old school systems ever.

#66 dragonjud

dragonjud

Got games, but no time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 September 2012 - 02:38 AM

So far they are the only store that has it up for preorder, but it may become available from more retailers later.

Walked into a Gamestop this afternoon:

GS employee 1: 'What's this Neo Geo X console pre-order?'
GS employee 2: 'Oh, that's a new system, with all those old
Nintendo roms on it'.

:lol:

#67 chimpmeister

chimpmeister

Hates gimmicks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 September 2012 - 02:50 AM

Nintendo roms on it'.

Finally ordered a Gold X system and and extra joystick. I'll be watching for other options in the future, and will update the OP with new info as available.

#68 apolloimburning

apolloimburning

I’m Captain Basch!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:08 AM

The NeoGeo X has a 1GHz CPU clock, 128MB system memory, runs Linux, has a 4.3 inch LCD screen with 480×272 pixel resolution in a 16 : 9 aspect ratio. In Japan, the NeoGeo X Gold costs 19,990 yen ($254) and comes out on December 6.

This leads me to believe someone will find a way to hack it to run emulators. I've got an old GFW retail display unit that i've been meaning to turn into an arcade cabinet. If I could hack this to run emulators (even if I couldn't), it would make the perfect hardware to make this possible. I'll just add a second controller and make a sweet marquee for it!

#69 airco

airco

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:13 AM

Nintendo roms on it'.

That reminds me, a friend of mine who just so happens to be a hardcore Neo Geo collector works at a Gamestop. I'm curious if I'm going to hear any similar stories from him next week.

#70 ddp72984

ddp72984

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:56 AM

Doesn't it say on the tommo site that amazon and best buy are partners? Doesn't that men theyre getting this too?

#71 NedHead

NedHead

Posted 16 September 2012 - 04:30 AM

I would actually be more interested in this if they packed in EVERY NeoGeo game (or at least every SNK-made game) ever made and sold the whole package at higher price than their current approach of (maybe?) dribbling out releases for separate purchase.

#72 slidecage

slidecage

Nothing to say

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:28 PM

i pick it up in the discount bin come jan/feb for 49.99 or less
WOOOO I STINK

#73 sengar

sengar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:34 PM

I doubt I will pick this up on day one, but if there is confirmation down the line that it will run user-supplied ROMs and the stick is comparable to the original AES controller, I'll happily pay $200 for one.

#74 BigBizzee

BigBizzee

I feel asleep....

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:46 PM

I understand it's only running 90's arcade games, but man those hardware specs are awful by today's standards...

#75 chimpmeister

chimpmeister

Hates gimmicks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:53 PM

I understand it's only running 90's arcade games, but man those hardware specs are awful by today's standards...

True, but by the standards of 90s arcade games, the specs are more than enough to do the job. In fact the processor at 1GHz is much better than the PSP's (333MHz), the 128MB RAM is much better than the PSP's (64MB), and the screen is the same size and resolution as the PSP's (480x272). So for what it is, it isn't that bad. Compared to any modern handheld or tablet, obviously it doesn't stand up, but it wasn't meant for that purpose.

#76 Hardware

Hardware

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:37 AM

In. So fucking in. I have a AES Gold, a Neo Geo Cd, a Neo Geo pocket color and soon this. Damn, that is so awesome!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE find a way to get Samurai Shodown RPG on this thing!!!

LOL I bought SS RPG like 15 years ago. Not realizing it didn't have English as an option. It's still sitting in my closet with the NG front loader. I owned all the different flavors of systems at one point so I was a big fan, but this thing will bomb. I don't mean to hurt anyone's feelings but do people play psx, 3do, n64, Saturn, ps2, cube or even Xbox games these days? Not likely. Leave the memories in the past. It's not the same when you play them today.

#77 Eleven8Eighty3

Eleven8Eighty3

Art Director

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2012 - 01:02 AM

LOL I bought SS RPG like 15 years ago. Not realizing it didn't have English as an option. It's still sitting in my closet with the NG front loader. I owned all the different flavors of systems at one point so I was a big fan, but this thing will bomb. I don't mean to hurt anyone's feelings but do people play psx, 3do, n64, Saturn, ps2, cube or even Xbox games these days? Not likely. Leave the memories in the past. It's not the same when you play them today.

I don't think you realize how big the Retro community is. There is an obvious reason why something like a Neo Geo X is being released. While we're on the subject, i'll add that GS plans to carry Classic Retro games in the near future, realizing how big the market still is today for Retro gamers. Although we have no idea how well the Neo Geo X will do, I highly doubt they plan to steal any market shares in the handheld department. They are aware of who is going to buy this hardware.

#78 VACRMH

VACRMH

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2012 - 01:14 AM

I don't mean to hurt anyone's feelings but do people play psx, 3do, n64, Saturn, ps2, cube or even Xbox games these days? Not likely. Leave the memories in the past. It's not the same when you play them today.

What an idiotic comment.

#79 R3DH3R0

R3DH3R0

10 Years and Counting

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2012 - 01:32 AM

This is pretty cool. I'd probably never remove the handheld from the docking station, it would just be another console for me. If I could get the NeoGeo Gold X with a 2nd joystick for $200 I'd buy it, I'm on the fence right now. Is gamestop the only place going to be selling this?

#80 mousebites

mousebites

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2012 - 01:58 AM

Going to pre order this. should have enough money by feburary to buy one.

#81 KneeKnee

KneeKnee

Trophy Whore

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2012 - 03:20 AM

Preordered mine today at Gamestop. Required a $50 deposit fyi.

KneeKnee.png

#82 airco

airco

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:19 AM

I don't mean to hurt anyone's feelings but do people play psx, 3do, n64, Saturn, ps2, cube or even Xbox games these days?

I agree that this console is a terrible idea and will likely flop, but never talk again.

Okay, maybe the 3DO, but still.

While we're on the subject, i'll add that GS plans to carry Classic Retro games in the near future, realizing how big the market still is today for Retro gamers.

Wait, really? Huh, that makes a lot of sense, considering their history of phasing out their stock of games from older consoles.

#83 mousebites

mousebites

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:34 AM

i just pre ordered mine online. Don't forget to use code saver for free value shipping.

#84 hairypeckpeck

hairypeckpeck

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:41 AM

I don't mean to hurt anyone's feelings but do people play psx, 3do, n64, Saturn, ps2, cube or even Xbox games these days? Not likely. Leave the memories in the past. It's not the same when you play them today.

all of the above actually.

leaving memories in the past is one thing, but to make new memories from nostalgic items such as this thing is another

i was too young to understand a lot of the pop culture that went on during the 80s and 90s so this my way of "reliving other people's memories"

just because something is considered "old" doesnt mean a new generation cant enjoy it

#85 chimpmeister

chimpmeister

Hates gimmicks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:26 PM

Found some new Neo Geo X pics today, supposedly from Famitsu. Here they are.

Picture of Neo Geo X handheld next to Vita and DSiXL (size comparison):

Posted Image

Picture of original Neo Geo AES & joystick, next to Neo Geo X docking station & joystick (size comparison):

Posted Image

Picture of Neo Geo X handheld in a case (the "case" is actually the docking station!):

Posted Image

I was surprised at the size of the Neo Geo X joystick, seems to be close to the original Neo Geo AES joystick. Also the handheld unit looks pretty cool pictured next to the Vita and DSiXL.

Edited by chimpmeister, 20 September 2012 - 06:29 PM.

#86 lidl

lidl

Posted 20 September 2012 - 04:48 PM

The "Case" looks like the actual "Console" or "Dock", so I think will be included in the bundle :)
:hd: :360: :psp: :gba: :wii: :dvd: :ps2: :xbox: :gc: :ds: :pc: :ps3:

#87 gldoorii

gldoorii

What the...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 05:04 PM

Any news on upcoming games and prices? I'd love to get this...but not if I'm gonna get charged $20 a game or something later on.

#88 chimpmeister

chimpmeister

Hates gimmicks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:25 PM

The "Case" looks like the actual "Console" or "Dock", so I think will be included in the bundle :)

Wow you're right, had no idea lol. Pretty cool concept, being able to store the handheld in the dock!

#89 chimpmeister

chimpmeister

Hates gimmicks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:28 PM

Any news on upcoming games and prices? I'd love to get this...but not if I'm gonna get charged $20 a game or something later on.

No news on that yet, I agree that having more games come out on "cards" at a decent price would be nice. The fact that they have Ninja Master's on a card at launch makes me hopeful that more games will release that way in the future.

#90 Infam0usP

Infam0usP

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:51 PM

def picking up the handheld for $129 once I hear news on upcoming games (20 out the box, including Metal Slug DEF has my attention though)! don't need the dock & extra stuff