Photo
- - - - -

Neo Geo X Gold/Handheld/Joystick preorders up GS/Amazon/BB/Target/Walmart 200/130/50

• Please log in to reply
857 replies to this topic

#91 Nibi

Nibi

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:19 AM

Just saw this video on Kotaku http://kotaku.com/59...long-and-clicky
Current Hypewagon pick-
Spoiler

#92 kit352

kit352

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:49 AM

Maybe this will drop the price of the original so i can finally get one.

#93 Jackovasaurus

Jackovasaurus

And ya say Chi-City

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:54 AM

I must admit, that system looks sexy as hell! Wish there was a way I could trade in my NGPC towards it :P

Quick question: aren't most of these SNK games available on virtual console? Are they emulated well on there?
Posted Image

#94 kaydigi

kaydigi

BK All Day

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:06 PM

Let me know how can we get more games and I'll pay up.

#95 chimpmeister

chimpmeister

Hates gimmicks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:14 PM

My big concern right now is the screen; it is 16:9 and the game that was shown was "stretched" to fit the screen, since original Neo Geo games were designed to be 4:3 aspect ratio. I would HOPE that the manufacturer would provide a way to switch to 4:3 (with black bars on the sides), but as of right now that option hasn't been mentioned.

#96 exceed19

exceed19

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:02 PM

I would buy this IF I was guaranteed that more "new" games would come out for it down the road. I would never support a completely dead system, SNK should try and create a few new games that are better than current phones, but not as high-end as vita/3ds games. I know people would buy a GOOD solid game - case in point, the older NDS castlevanias, stuff like that would work well on this type of system. You dont have to have the best graphics, to have a great fun little game.

#97 chimpmeister

chimpmeister

Hates gimmicks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:24 PM

I would buy this IF I was guaranteed that more "new" games would come out for it down the road. I would never support a completely dead system, SNK should try and create a few new games that are better than current phones, but not as high-end as vita/3ds games. I know people would buy a GOOD solid game - case in point, the older NDS castlevanias, stuff like that would work well on this type of system. You dont have to have the best graphics, to have a great fun little game.

There are some newer Neo Geo games, developed and published by NG: DEV.TEAM, but not officially licensed. These games were released for Dreamcast, Neo Geo MVS and AES (very expensive for the cartridge versions). I doubt you would ever see these ported "officially" to the Neo Geo X system, as SNK had nothing to do with developing or approving them. Here is the website for NG: DEV.TEAM:

http://www.ngdevteam.com/

Other than that, I doubt we'll EVER see any "new" Neo Geo games in the future; not sure SNK even has the staff to produce any games of this style, anymore.

#98 KneeKnee

KneeKnee

Trophy Whore

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:10 PM

Just saw this video on Kotaku http://kotaku.com/59...long-and-clicky

Clicky? I see that they amended the article, but I don't understand how they didnt realize the "clicky" is one of the unique features to the Neo Geo?

Those clicky Neo Geo sticks were some of the most responsive I have ever used. The pads, also clicky, were perfect for fighting games, and the Neo Geo Pocket stick was also accurate and responsive. To be honest, if these things didn't click, I probably would have felt I wasn't playing a real Neo Geo.

KneeKnee.png

#99 MrSneis

MrSneis

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:08 PM

I have almost no doubt I will end up buying this, but I probably won't be getting it on release. I hope that it drops in price getting clearanced or something; which in all reality is selfish of me.
Virtual Hydlide, Bad Dudes

#100 xRidley

xRidley

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:39 AM

People would really spend $200 on this? Seems like you need more money than you have sense to buy this for $200..that is Nexus 7 territory if you want to think of the technology difference at the same price point. Sure the Neo Geo was a fun system but you have to be insane to spend $200 on one these days.

#101 Nerdstick

Nerdstick

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:41 PM

People would really spend $200 on this? Seems like you need more money than you have sense to buy this for $200..that is Nexus 7 territory if you want to think of the technology difference at the same price point. Sure the Neo Geo was a fun system but you have to be insane to spend $200 on one these days.

Enjoy playing crappy emulators..WITHOUT CONTROLS.

The entire point of this device (apart from nostalgia) is it's official emulation paired with Neo Geo controls. Clicky analog stick.. :drool:

And the base unit is only $130 if you don't care about tv-out, arcade stick or multiplayer.

If it manages to get hacked or has homebrew support, you're looking at the world's best emulation handheld. With HDMI tv-out. Want! :bouncy:

It's $40-cheaper-than 3DS territory, and this is way better than a 3DS. And it comes with 20 games.

#102 Gameboy415

Gameboy415

16-bits of awesome

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 September 2012 - 01:52 PM

I finally decided to go ahead and pre-order one but I keep getting an error anytime I try to checkout on Gamestop.com. Argh!
I e-mailed GS support but am still waiting for a response.

To anyone who pre-ordered in-store: how much $$ did you have to put down to reserve one??
Posted Image

#103 GBH

GBH

Posted 30 September 2012 - 04:47 PM

People just assume neo-geo carts are expensive but some of the best games can be had for 20 bucks or less in there original mvs format.
I Didn't Mean To

#104 TheOpusFuller

TheOpusFuller

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 September 2012 - 05:21 PM

I never owned a Neo Geo system. I believe my girlfriend's brother had one but I'm not sure. I remember the cartridges were HUGE! If that's the case, then yes, I played a neo geo.

I'm definitely interested in buying this on launch day. Not sure if it's for me but I like old genesis games, etc. Very cool retro style to them. That's why I think I'll like this.

Just wondering like others what the game support will be. 20 games and all the system accessories for 200 is a killer deal. I doubt I'll ever play multiplayer, but I want those extras. I just hope more games will come out for this system once released.

#105 Pureshooter

Pureshooter

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 September 2012 - 08:11 PM

I would love to see the other games available. Ninja Combat and Super Spy would be awesome.

#106 sisko

sisko

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 September 2012 - 10:17 PM

Clicky analog stick.. :drool:

It isn't analog - but digital (hence the clicky). It's a very big difference.

Analog sticks don't work terribly well with Neo Geo games, and I would be apprehensive to buy this if it were.

#107 galvatron

galvatron

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:24 PM

People just assume neo-geo carts are expensive but some of the best games can be had for 20 bucks or less in there original mvs format.

Quoted for truth.

I remember getting a box of 22 legit MVS games for about $220 shipped on ebay. Getting a consolized MVS is the way to go if you don't have the room for a cabinet.

#108 chimpmeister

chimpmeister

Hates gimmicks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2012 - 05:56 PM

Tommo has updated the neogeox.com website with new information. They added a picture of the boxed Neo Geo X system (possibly a prototype box, not necessarily the final one):

Posted Image

They also added some information under the "History" link that includes some nice scans of flyers for the Neo Geo home system and games, plus they added descriptions of the games that come loaded on the handheld with purchase (under "Games"). Check the main Neo Geo X site for updates:

http://neogeox.com/

The box looks pretty nice; still waiting to hear if the handheld will be switchable to 4:3 aspect ratio, and whether other games (on physical cards) are planned for the future.

#109 z3razerviper

z3razerviper

Posted 02 October 2012 - 06:28 PM

The handheld is 16x9 but the games are 4x3 correct wont they look stretched?

#110 Yars

Yars

I'd buy that for a dollar!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2012 - 06:35 PM

The handheld is 16x9 but the games are 4x3 correct wont they look stretched?

They would looked stretched. Hopefully there is an option to play the games at the original aspect ratio. I wonder why they're using a 16:9 screen in the first place.

#111 bojay1997

bojay1997

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:27 PM

They would looked stretched. Hopefully there is an option to play the games at the original aspect ratio. I wonder why they're using a 16:9 screen in the first place.

Probably because they just repurposed one of the other existing Blaze handhelds for this use. It's also probably pretty tough to get mobile screens in 4:3 since most device manufacturers are using 16:9 screens nowadays and any 4:3 content can simply be black barred if needed.

#112 Nerdstick

Nerdstick

Posted 03 October 2012 - 03:17 AM

It isn't analog - but digital (hence the clicky). It's a very big difference.

Analog sticks don't work terribly well with Neo Geo games, and I would be apprehensive to buy this if it were.

Clicky stick*. Can't help but pull out my Pocket every once in a while just to play with the stick.

Considering that the unit from Famitsu just says 'NeoGeo' on the front and the box the same, almost seems like they're dropping the X moniker.

Edited by Nerdstick, 03 October 2012 - 03:36 AM.

#113 uncle5555

uncle5555

Grumpy Veteran CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:03 AM

They also added some information under the "History" link that includes some nice scans of flyers for the Neo Geo home system and games,

Heh, I actually still have all of my advertisements and a few move list cards that SNK sent me back in the day when I had my Neo Neo, I got to speak with Gamelord aka Chad Okada on many occasion while getting a complete moves list from him over the phone mind ya for KoF '94. (still have that wrote down in a notebook somewhere)

Funny thing is they got to know me pretty well back in the day since I used to call SNK corp. HQ quite a bit to get news, information, those flyers, etc. Nice people and friendly company back in the day.
The CAG motto: "Maybe you'll luck out and get the game during a sale before it sells out, maybe not, that's the life of a CAG. Luck of the draw. And timing is everything."

#114 scorponok

scorponok

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:37 AM

Pre order at Amazon: http://www.amazon.co...uct/B0093G9VOI/

#115 TheOpusFuller

TheOpusFuller

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:35 AM

Think best buy will be getting this?

#116 Nibi

Nibi

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:22 AM

Pre order at Amazon: http://www.amazon.co...uct/B0093G9VOI/

Sweet! Just cancelled Gamestop order and preordered Gold set and an extra stick at Amazon.
Current Hypewagon pick-
Spoiler

#117 R3DH3R0

R3DH3R0

10 Years and Counting

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:54 AM

Arcade stick as well http://www.amazon.co...49344296&sr=1-2

#118 uncle5555

uncle5555

Grumpy Veteran CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:32 PM

This might be of interest to those who are curious about the history of SNK, found it last night when I was looking around. (There are two parts obviously) It was something nice to watch from a big fan of the Neo Geo era of the company.

The CAG motto: "Maybe you'll luck out and get the game during a sale before it sells out, maybe not, that's the life of a CAG. Luck of the draw. And timing is everything."

#119 Jackovasaurus

Jackovasaurus

And ya say Chi-City

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:43 PM

Goddammit this is so tempting. Especially since I have a PLETHORA of amazon credit.
Posted Image

#120 VyseArcad1a

VyseArcad1a

New Mirror's Edge?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:56 PM

Think best buy will be getting this?

Don't think so... but I hope we do.

47206.png
Currently Playing:
:ps3: Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z, Earth Defense Force 2025, South Park: The Stick of Truth
:3ds: Rhythm Thief, Animal Crossing: New Leaf
:psp: Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed, DJ Max Technika Tune, Rayman Origins