Photo
- - - - -

Neo Geo X Gold/Handheld/Joystick preorders up GS/Amazon/BB/Target/Walmart 200/130/50

• Please log in to reply
857 replies to this topic

#121 z3razerviper

z3razerviper

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:32 PM

Why do I want this?

#122 chimpmeister

chimpmeister

Hates gimmicks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:56 PM

The final box art looks really nice. Here are the box images from Amazon (full box shot of front, closeup of front, closeup of back; Amazon has much larger versions of these pictures in their product info):

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

It's getting much harder to hold off on preordering this now that Amazon has it up. Just waiting on the 4:3 aspect ratio issue, plans for future games on cards, and some evaluations of the emulation/video out quality.

Edited by chimpmeister, 04 October 2012 - 05:18 PM.

#123 gldoorii

gldoorii

What the...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:03 PM

Any news on additional games yet? That's the only thing stopping me from buying it. I can play most of these games on the other systems I have (legally) and all of them with CFW on my PSP. I really REALLY want this, but I'm scared that it won't sell well and they'll scrap additional games....hell....we don't even know WHAT games will come out later on, do we?

#124 soonersfan60

soonersfan60

Longing for retro CAG...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:21 PM

This system would be a great candidate for digital downloads... That way they can make every game ever made for Neo Geo available. (I'm sure that Neo Mr. Do! -- my system seller game! -- wouldn't be popular enough for a physical cart release.)

#125 Masterkyo

Masterkyo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:54 PM

Tempting! If i can get extra Arcade STICK for FREE with the system ;)
"Evil is Funs"

#126 Jackovasaurus

Jackovasaurus

And ya say Chi-City

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:10 PM

You guys. I'm pulling the trigger. IM PULLING IT. HYPE.

#127 MrNEWZ

MrNEWZ

Newzbytes~!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:55 PM

Had the same. At worst, I can cancel my Amazon pre-order in 2 months.
-Michael

Posted Image

#128 hairypeckpeck

hairypeckpeck

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:16 PM

congrats :applause:

#129 Rig

Rig

Rig = Lunar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:46 PM

Not for me until reviews start coming out (and even then, I'd likely wait for a nice price drop).

I've seen some of those Blaze made handhelds, and, they were very cheap/crappy. I think they've done the whole "we'll add games later" approach and it never materialized.

...Well, that, and I have a one-slot MVS in my garage...and like 30 or so MVS games already...

#130 TheOpusFuller

TheOpusFuller

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:52 AM

I'm biting the bullet. I'm buying this on launch.

In my opinion, if they don't make any games for this thing, I'll end up having a portable arcade unit with 20 games for 200 bucks. Not bad at all.

#131 Nibi

Nibi

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:10 AM

HYPE! Pull that trigger.

Man I want to play some World Heroes so bad.
Current Hypewagon pick-
Spoiler

#132 Purkeynator

Purkeynator

Cheap before it was cool

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:50 AM

Any news on additional games yet? That's the only thing stopping me from buying it. I can play most of these games on the other systems I have (legally) and all of them with CFW on my PSP. I really REALLY want this, but I'm scared that it won't sell well and they'll scrap additional games....hell....we don't even know WHAT games will come out later on, do we?

I am betting they will release more games. The company probably would not have added the additional expense of a card slot if they didn't intend on using the slot would they? Sure you could probably hack it and load up all the games you want on an 8GB SD card but I bet we see other games released in the $10 to 20 range. If they were really smart they would bundle all the games in a series on each card. A Fatal Fury complete set, a Metal Slug complete set, a Samurai Shodown complete set, ect each on one card. As to which games we'll see, a big clue would be any of the games released in the last couple years on the Wii Virtual console....
trade list (mostly guides with a few boxes and manuals)
http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=44132

#133 ryosnk

ryosnk

I'm a super patriot.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:01 PM

On the amazon description page it says the neo geo X limited edition will only be available with preorders before 12/06. So after this it won't be available?

#134 chimpmeister

chimpmeister

Hates gimmicks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:09 PM

On the amazon description page it says the neo geo X limited edition will only be available with preorders before 12/06. So after this it won't be available?

Unknown right now, but worst case scenario you just wouldn't get the Ninja Master's card as a bonus in the future, which isn't a reason by itself to rush your order. I've contacted Blaze with some questions, most importantly the aspect ratio issue (16:9 only, or 4:3 as well), will post if I hear anything. Keep in mind they have to manufacture a certain amount of Gold X systems with the Ninja Master's card in them, so I'd expect they'll be around for a while, but no one knows for sure.

#135 chimpmeister

chimpmeister

Hates gimmicks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2012 - 04:45 AM

I received a response from Tommo today. I had asked about 4:3 output both on the handheld, and from the docking station to TV. I also asked about screen quality on the handheld and audio quality as well. Finally I asked about pans for future Neo Geo games on cards. Here was the response:

Thank you very much for your interest in the NEOGEO X.

Here are some of the answers that I can provide for you:

1. For the handheld itself, it will have the option to toggle in between 16:9 and 4:3 modes. For TV's with HDMI's, most will have built-in functions on the TV itself to change it's signal to use 4:3 or 16:9. In other words, the output signal from the NEOGEO X station will be sent to the TV as 4:3, it's just up to the TV and the user to decide if they want to stretch it or not.

2. The output quality for the video and sound is the same as it's original, the video being sent as 480p through the HDMI signal and the sound is as good as it was originally programmed. The LCD screen and speakers on the handheld are more than capable of handling the original artwork from the classic NEOGEO games, I wouldn't be able to describe it in words, you'll just have to try it yourself! :)

3. Yes, there are definitely more games on the NEOGEO X Game Cards planned on the way, but I don't have any more info beyond that for you at this moment.

This is great information; looks like I'll be preordering the whole package very soon!

#136 Joe Fongul

Joe Fongul

Slave to the Grind..

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:07 AM

My biggest question is what type of Controller PIN out is on the system. I had at one time in my life both a MVS and a CDZ. I would kill to have the NeoGeo control pad be compatible with the NeoGeo X (clicky D-Pad for the win...)
Posted Image

#137 VyseArcad1a

VyseArcad1a

New Mirror's Edge?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:53 PM

My biggest question is what type of Controller PIN out is on the system. I had at one time in my life both a MVS and a CDZ. I would kill to have the NeoGeo control pad be compatible with the NeoGeo X (clicky D-Pad for the win...)

THIS!! If it can be confirmed that the pins are the same and we can use the control pad, I'm down for a preorder for sure.

47206.png
Currently Playing:
:ps3: Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z, Earth Defense Force 2025, South Park: The Stick of Truth
:3ds: Rhythm Thief, Animal Crossing: New Leaf
:psp: Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed, DJ Max Technika Tune, Rayman Origins

#138 GohanX

GohanX

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:58 PM

The ports on the X dock are USB, so the original controllers would not work. I do wonder if the PS3 Neo pad will work, as some of the prototype vids seem to show people using the PS3 Neo stick. I'm hoping it uses a standard USB and remappable buttons so I can use a USB Saturn pad.

#139 Yars

Yars

I'd buy that for a dollar!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:24 PM

This is great information; looks like I'll be preordering the whole package very soon!

Thanks chimpmeister. Now if there's just some options for graphical filters, like scanlines, then I'm sold.

#140 XtraN

XtraN

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:30 PM

Thanks chimpmeister. Now if there's just some options for graphical filters, like scanlines, then I'm sold.

Totally!

I'm an old time gamer and loved this feature on some of the emulators I've used. This would be the perfect way to re-create my memories. If it had this, this would be the perfect alternative (to me at least) to own the original Neo Geo systems.

#141 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

Look at that deal. It's so great!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:00 PM

When did scanlines on CRTs stop being so obvious? I own a 2003ish Trinitron, and I don't really see any of the lines "old time gamers" keep touting. What advantages does it have over a regular clean display?

Batsugunner.png

#142 Finch106

Finch106

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:00 PM

When did scanlines on CRTs stop being so obvious? I own a 2003ish Trinitron, and I don't really see any of the lines "old time gamers" keep touting. What advantages does it have over a regular clean display?

Being true to the original source. Most of us have HDTVs that make classics look terrible. Playing on a non-flat tube tv makes it much more enjoyable.

#143 hashiriya1

hashiriya1

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:18 PM

Game card looks to be a modified SD card. That means Neo Geo went from having the most ginormous cartridges ever created to the smallest.

https://encrypted-tb...e3G5LZBOTFZfxMw

Yeah, the photo isn't really necessary.

#144 Yars

Yars

I'd buy that for a dollar!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:44 PM

Since modern displays are capable of a resolution far greater than what old consoles can do, emulators have to use some tricks to get the small image to display across the entire height of the screen.

The most common approach is to double or triple the size of each pixel, but that can cause the image to look very blocky and give the pixels a hard looking edge to them.

To your question: scanlines take advantage of an optical illusion where every nth horizontal line on the screen is left blank. It's left up to the player's mind to subconsciously fill in the gaps. Scanlines don't completely replicate the exact same image that you'd see on your Trinitron, but it manages to trick the mind into thinking that it's looking at a very similar looking low-rez display without making too many compromises.

#145 z3razerviper

z3razerviper

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:24 PM

Yeah, the photo isn't really necessary.

No not necessary but fun :D

#146 z3razerviper

z3razerviper

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:26 PM

i really dont notice scan lines on 480p and up crts i think they were much more evident on lower resolution crts of yester year

#147 chimpmeister

chimpmeister

Hates gimmicks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:01 PM

The website for the Neo Geo X has been updated with a FAQ section, here:

http://neogeox.com/FAQ

Most interestingly, starting November 1 the Neo Geo X Gold system will be sold by quite a few new retailers (besides the current Gamestop and Amazon). These include Target, Toys R Us, Walmart, AAFES, and Ebgames.

There is also mention in the FAQ about other planned games to be released on cards, but no specific games are mentioned yet.

#148 TheOpusFuller

TheOpusFuller

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:04 PM

The website for the Neo Geo X has been updated with a FAQ section, here:

http://neogeox.com/FAQ

Most interestingly, starting November 1 the Neo Geo X Gold system will be sold by quite a few new retailers (besides the current Gamestop and Amazon). These include Target, Toys R Us, Walmart, AAFES, and Ebgames.

There is also mention in the FAQ about other planned games to be released on cards, but no specific games are mentioned yet.

If you preorder from those other retailers do you still get the bonus game Ninja Masters? Personally, might be worth preordering from GS just to get that additional game included in the set.

Quite honestly I had no intention of getting this system until I came across this thread. Reading about this system makes me want it more and more. Can't wait to get the complete package!

#149 chimpmeister

chimpmeister

Hates gimmicks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:54 PM

If you preorder from those other retailers do you still get the bonus game Ninja Masters? Personally, might be worth preordering from GS just to get that additional game included in the set.

Quite honestly I had no intention of getting this system until I came across this thread. Reading about this system makes me want it more and more. Can't wait to get the complete package!

No word on that yet, but I would assume that any preorders would get the Ninja Master's game card, since both Gamestop and Amazon offer it with their Neo Geo X Gold preorder bundles. Once the product pages are up at those websites, it should be pretty clear whether the bonus game is included or not.

#150 Slermy

Slermy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:10 AM

I received a response from Tommo today. I had asked about 4:3 output both on the handheld, and from the docking station to TV. I also asked about screen quality on the handheld and audio quality as well. Finally I asked about pans for future Neo Geo games on cards. Here was the response:

Thanks for posting the response. Glad I pre-ordered. :)