Photo
- - - - -

Neo Geo X Gold/Handheld/Joystick preorders up GS/Amazon/BB/Target/Walmart 200/130/50

• Please log in to reply
857 replies to this topic

#181 Yars

Yars

I'd buy that for a dollar!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:08 PM

Giant Bomb had some additional info on the portable on their recent podcast:

- All games run in AES mode, which means you're limited to 4 credits and it's difficult or impossible to enable blood in some games
- It doesn't look like you'll be able to purchase games digitally
- No support for music or video files
- You can't connect two portables for multiplayer, you'd have to play on a TV to take advantage of multiplayer

Some of that may already be common knowledge, but I figured I pass the info along just in case. Granted the likely hood of having two systems to link or the lack of multimedia support probably isn't much of an issue for most. They weren't overly impressed with the build quality. :cry:

#182 RedvsBlue

RedvsBlue

Rocket Science Level

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:13 PM

- All games run in AES mode, which means you're limited to 4 credits and it's difficult or impossible to enable blood in some games
- You can't connect two portables for multiplayer, you'd have to play on a TV to take advantage of multiplayer

Some of that may already be common knowledge, but I figured I pass the info along just in case. Overall they weren't overly impressed with the build quality. :cry:

I wasn't sold on the system before but was really torn about picking it up. After hearing them talk about it on the Bombcast I have no problem skipping it at all now. At $100 I think I could have talked myself into it but this is just too expensive.

#183 chimpmeister

chimpmeister

Hates gimmicks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:23 PM

Some of that may already be common knowledge, but I figured I pass the info along just in case. Granted the likely hood of having two systems to link or the lack of multimedia support probably isn't much of an issue for most. They weren't overly impressed with the build quality. :cry:

Thanks for the info Thrinn. The lack of support for music or video files doesn't bother me, nor does connecting two systems or purchasing additional games digitally. The "AES mode only" is a bit annoying, although some games can have blood enabled by just selecting Japanese region.

But it is a bit depressing about their statements about build quality; did they say that about all the components (handheld, dock, joystick) or just the handheld? I still have this on preorder for now with Amazon, but I'll be watching for more reviews and opinions before making my final decision to go with it or not. Also since the replica Neo Geo X joysticks are USB, I wonder if they'll work on a PC?

#184 NeoStrider

NeoStrider

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:25 PM

no support for videos or MP3s is kinda dumb, sounds like this will be widely available in drugstores like those Genesis & Atari systems are so I'll just wait til its cheaper

#185 gldoorii

gldoorii

What the...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:36 PM

Any news yet on how much additional games will cost and what games those will even be? I'm curious to see how much they charge for games I can download on other consoles for less than 8 bucks a piece.

#186 Yars

Yars

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:37 PM

Any news yet on how much additional games will cost and what games those will even be? I'm curious to see how much they charge for games I can download on other consoles for less than 8 bucks a piece.

I don't believe they've provided any information on future releases yet.

#187 kaydigi

kaydigi

BK All Day

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:40 PM

That killed it for me. When Samurai Shodown 4 etc come out they will be edited.

#188 KidInTheHall

KidInTheHall

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:45 PM

That kinda sucks, I really don't want my games edited and I'd like to be able to change the difficulty and credits.

#189 chimpmeister

chimpmeister

Hates gimmicks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:32 PM

An interesting update to the neogeox.com website. They've added a new category to the top of the page called "Neo Geo X Game Cards". Clicking on this only shows the Ninja Master's card so far, but obviously the intention is to add more cards later, something they've claimed they were going to do for a while. Here's the link:

http://neogeox.com/game-cards

Regarding the "AES mode only", I'm not sure there will be a 4 credit limit (many games I have just let you continue as much as you want). Also there were ways to enable "blood" for games like Samurai Shodown, via either codes or changing the region to Japan; so I'm not sure how much of a problem that will be.

#190 kaydigi

kaydigi

BK All Day

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:45 PM

Regarding the "AES mode only", I'm not sure there will be a 4 credit limit (many games I have just let you continue as much as you want). Also there were ways to enable "blood" for games like Samurai Shodown, via either codes or changing the region to Japan; so I'm not sure how much of a problem that will be.

I don't want to play the games in Japanese, I want it in English and uncensored.

#191 Yars

Yars

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 October 2012 - 12:41 AM

I'd really hope they'll let you play around with the system BIOS. IIRC that's the only way to enable blood in some games. Have they said if the NGX is capable of firmware updates? Maybe if that's not an option day one then it can be added later. I can't image it'd be difficult for them to implement such a feature.

You could certainly be right about the "4 credits" issue. Now that I think about it, I remember being able to play through The Super Spy, King of the Monsters, and Blue's Journey the first time through on an AES system while burning through the continues.

#192 chimpmeister

chimpmeister

Hates gimmicks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 October 2012 - 12:48 AM

I don't want to play the games in Japanese, I want it in English and uncensored.

You know there are "blood codes" for SS2, SS3, and SS4? Those are AES codes too; so you should be able to play the games uncensored.

#193 kaydigi

kaydigi

BK All Day

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 October 2012 - 01:08 AM

You know there are "blood codes" for SS2, SS3, and SS4? Those are AES codes too; so you should be able to play the games uncensored.

Never knew that, I just had the AES Japanese cart and called it a day until the Saturn port came around. Interest piqued again.

That said .....no guarantee that this will ever see SS4, SNK CAPCOM or KOF 98.

#194 KneeKnee

KneeKnee

Trophy Whore

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:39 AM

I remember calling Snk America for the blood codes when I got Samurai Shodown 2. Ahhh Days...

KneeKnee.png

#195 anarch

anarch

And all that could have been...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 October 2012 - 06:01 AM

This popped up in my goldbox the other day so I pre-ordered.

Same. Not sure that I'll keep the pre-order, if the AES lock is true, and since home theater boxes are cheap and easy to assemble now... But damn, I wanted a Neo Geo so bad back in the day.

#196 chimpmeister

chimpmeister

Hates gimmicks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 October 2012 - 05:47 PM

More "hands-on" previews of the Neo Geo X Gold system:

Rev3 Games:

Engadget hands on (using viddler which is their video hosting service, not youtube)

http://www.viddler.c...secret=67981195

Edited by chimpmeister, 27 October 2012 - 06:23 PM.

#197 Yars

Yars

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 October 2012 - 06:22 PM

Thanks for the video link, chimpmeister.

On the amazon description page it says the neo geo X limited edition will only be available with preorders before 12/06. So after this it won't be available?

I remember reading that in Amazon's product description a couple of weeks ago back when ryosnk wrote this post, but it looks like that line has since been removed. Maybe I'm just missing it.

#198 evisto

evisto

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 November 2012 - 09:08 PM

It looks like Amazon is currently sold out on this item, although GameStop is still accepting preorders.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#199 bojay1997

bojay1997

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:28 PM

It looks like Amazon is currently sold out on this item, although GameStop is still accepting preorders.

I think it's because this is just going to be drop shipped, it's not a regular item Amazon is going to stock. In fact, I think GS may be the only brick and mortar store actually carrying it in-store.

#200 chimpmeister

chimpmeister

Hates gimmicks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:54 PM

I think it's because this is just going to be drop shipped, it's not a regular item Amazon is going to stock. In fact, I think GS may be the only brick and mortar store actually carrying it in-store.

Wow, I'm surprised that it went out of stock. It's possible that Amazon just wanted to take preorders and just fulfill those, so they wouldn't have extra stock sitting around.

The system will still be sold by Target, Walmart, and TRU, but probably online only as well. GameStop will probably have the bundle in-store as you mention.

Still wish they'd talk about future releases on game cards, but nothing yet there.

#201 i23mix

i23mix

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:05 AM

Preorders back on Amazon for both the system and joystick!

#202 mrspicytacoman

mrspicytacoman

Apply Ubik only as directed

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:33 AM

man i just wish this was cheaper

vpnz.png2h50m13.gif2eb67tj.jpgn5qy6u.gif

#203 SGT Killjoy

SGT Killjoy

Corporate Tool

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:07 AM

if it played the old cartridges id be sold

#204 ghostsong

ghostsong

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:21 PM

I went to Gamestop to cancel my pre-order because I got one on Amazon and the manager told me they were only ordering enough stock to fill preorders. He could have been trying to fear monger me into keeping my preorder, but just wanted to give a heads up.

#205 GohanX

GohanX

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:57 PM

I went to Gamestop to cancel my pre-order because I got one on Amazon and the manager told me they were only ordering enough stock to fill preorders. He could have been trying to fear monger me into keeping my preorder, but just wanted to give a heads up.

Probably not in this case. Everything I've read says that although you can preorder at a Gamestop store, they won't be selling these as regular stock, it will just be on the website.

#206 chimpmeister

chimpmeister

Hates gimmicks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:07 PM

Probably not in this case. Everything I've read says that although you can preorder at a Gamestop store, they won't be selling these as regular stock, it will just be on the website.

I agree. Also, the Neo Geo X Gold is supposed to be sold online at Walmart, Target, and TRU. So far Target has it up, but not available to order yet. The other places don't have it online yet.

Even though I have some mixed feelings about it, I have one preordered from Amazon. Willing to give it a chance, especially because I'm a big fan of SNK and the Neo Geo. I also have an extra joystick on order, this is a big plus for this system.

#207 takaitakai

takaitakai

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:10 AM

Preorders back on Amazon for both the system and joystick!

Dude, thank you so much for mentioning this. When it was unavailable I did the "contact me when this item is available" thing and naturally Amazon never bothered to send an alert. I was just about to order from GameStop... that would've been a tragedy in the making.

#208 chimpmeister

chimpmeister

Hates gimmicks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:36 PM

The Neo Geo X Gold system is sold out again at Amazon, but the joystick is still available. Still not available for purchase at Walmart, Target, or TRU. But its still up for order at GameStop.

#209 XtraN

XtraN

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:18 PM

The Neo Geo X Gold system is sold out again at Amazon, but the joystick is still available. Still not available for purchase at Walmart, Target, or TRU. But its still up for order at GameStop.

I held off ordering one until Amazon "sold out" the first time. I then ordered at GameStop. I then ordered at Amazon when it became available again and canceled my GameStop. :roll:

I'm a little worried my order may not be fulfilled at this point. --> Just a little. I have had orders not fulfilled from Amazon and GameStop in the past. I'm also concerned that the other retailers have no purchase option this close to the release date... Maybe they are pulling out of their deal? If that is the case, this could be much more limited than anyone anticipated.

This is just what is going through my head for now... until I see a shipping notice. :cry:

Anyone else feeling the same?

#210 bojay1997

bojay1997

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:54 PM

I held off ordering one until Amazon "sold out" the first time. I then ordered at GameStop. I then ordered at Amazon when it became available again and canceled my GameStop. :roll:

I'm a little worried my order may not be fulfilled at this point. --> Just a little. I have had orders not fulfilled from Amazon and GameStop in the past. I'm also concerned that the other retailers have no purchase option this close to the release date... Maybe they are pulling out of their deal? If that is the case, this could be much more limited than anyone anticipated.

This is just what is going through my head for now... until I see a shipping notice. :cry:

Anyone else feeling the same?

Nope. There will be plenty to go around. The minimum quantity to even manufacture something like this would have been pretty significant. Several retailers which were supposed to carry it didn't which means there is more supply available. Gamestop still has it in stock and likely will continue to have it in stock well after release.