Photo
- - - - -

Neo Geo X Gold/Handheld/Joystick preorders up GS/Amazon/BB/Target/Walmart 200/130/50

• Please log in to reply
857 replies to this topic

#241 ProppaT

ProppaT

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:49 PM

there is little doubt this thing will bomb and you'll be left with a limited library. I wouldn't buy this based on expecting more games to be released for it.

I'm almost more interested in the system if it bombs. I believe the games come on standard SD cards. It'll only be a matter of time before someone figures out how to custom load ROMs to SD cards. This is a somewhat obscure niche item, so I really doubt they'll spend a ton of time putting in state of the art encryption/copy protection.

#242 DefeatUForever

DefeatUForever

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:03 PM

I have a Neo Geo Pocket Color, it was a great system but it only lasted for a few years and that's why there is no chance that I will drop a couple of hundred for this new system. I don't remember what he Neo Geo Pocket Color cost when it was first released, I bought it around when it first came out and I think it was around 70-90 bucks.

#243 Nerdstick

Nerdstick

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:47 PM

My Gold bundle from Amazon shows an ETA of 12/10/12, but I'm just not sure if I should keep it... I'm just concerned since they have yet to announce more game cards, or if there will be another chance to buy a docking station. I really wish they'd at least drop some more info before it goes live.

You don't think they'd built in a slot and develop and produce proprietary cards for the sake of one free game, do you?
Future game support is guaranteed, at least to an extent. The PR Rep Bruno mentioned in an interview earlier this month that (to his knowledge, at the time) the cards would hold one game a piece (at least until later in it's life) and that we'd probably hear more about that 'next month' or early next year. So in Dec/Jan most likely.

"When we release those, probably around same time as launch or maybe early next year when the game cards start rolling out and acquire more licenses from SNK".

And rumor rumor rumor: A bit back I google translated a French interview and they mentioned the games being 10-15 euros. So perhaps $10-20 a card?

So it's not a matter of if or when. It's what games, what cost, and whether or not they come in hard cases. :bouncy:

I have a Neo Geo Pocket Color, it was a great system but it only lasted for a few years and that's why there is no chance that I will drop a couple of hundred for this new system. I don't remember what he Neo Geo Pocket Color cost when it was first released, I bought it around when it first came out and I think it was around 70-90 bucks.

You don't have to, the standalone unit is only $130. Considering it comes with 20 games for free I'd call that a pretty great deal.

there is little doubt this thing will bomb and you'll be left with a limited library. I wouldn't buy this based on expecting more games to be released for it.

Considering that it's sold out on Amazon and GameStop, it's clearly selling well. And considering the point of the device, selling well is all it needs to be a success.
More games are going to be released on it, as mentioned.

#244 bojay1997

bojay1997

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:16 AM

You don't think they'd built in a slot and develop and produce proprietary cards for the sake of one free game, do you?
Future game support is guaranteed, at least to an extent. The PR Rep Bruno mentioned in an interview earlier this month that (to his knowledge, at the time) the cards would hold one game a piece (at least until later in it's life) and that we'd probably hear more about that 'next month' or early next year. So in Dec/Jan most likely.

"When we release those, probably around same time as launch or maybe early next year when the game cards start rolling out and acquire more licenses from SNK".

And rumor rumor rumor: A bit back I google translated a French interview and they mentioned the games being 10-15 euros. So perhaps $10-20 a card?

So it's not a matter of if or when. It's what games, what cost, and whether or not they come in hard cases. :bouncy:

You don't have to, the standalone unit is only $130. Considering it comes with 20 games for free I'd call that a pretty great deal.

Considering that it's sold out on Amazon and GameStop, it's clearly selling well. And considering the point of the device, selling well is all it needs to be a success.
More games are going to be released on it, as mentioned.

I'm sorry, but you're spreading false information. While the rep did say that future games are planned, they have not been specific in any way about what and when, if ever, those future games will be released. Obviously, if sales are poor, there may never be any future licensing or releases.

Similarly, other than fanboys clamoring for hard cases, there is no indication the extra games or really the extra game at this point will be packaged in any way other than shown, on a blister pack attached to a piece of cardboard.

Finally, there is no indication that this thing is or isn't selling well. Amazon and Gamestop are not stocking this as a regular item and currently, no brick and mortar store other than Gamestop will be selling it and even then, it will only be by preorder. The logical assumption is that this is being handled on a drop ship basis and that's why the preorders were cut off a few weeks before delivery. Frankly, not even all of the retailers they claimed would be selling this have done so and given the low margin on the unit according to one independent game shop owner I know that was offered the opportunity to stock it, I doubt Amazon or Gamestop really is pushing for more stock.

It's fine to be excited about something, but this is CAG and not a Neo Geo fanboy site. As such, it would be helpful if you stuck to the facts and not wishful thinking and speculation.

#245 anarch

anarch

And all that could have been...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:54 AM

Despite having a card slot, they have no official statement about future card releases yet. Nothing about release dates, volume of titles, or even potential titles. For a system launch, that information is generally expected. The lack of concrete information is a bad sign, thus the concern. Anything else is speculation at this point. If the PR rep knows more, he needs to post it on the site immediately.

I'm not trying to be negative, but that's the elephant in the room.

#246 SHINOBI_3

SHINOBI_3

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:20 AM

one thing right away i see wrong is, on neogeo, most games buttons for punching are low punch A high punch C low kick B high kick D. the placement of the buttons on this thing is messed up as hell

#247 Danger Zone: Archer

Danger Zone: Archer

Not really here.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:31 AM

i wonder if they'll take newer games out for it.

K_ON__No__Thank_you_Animated_by_AlextheH

#248 Nerdstick

Nerdstick

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:44 AM

I'm sorry, but you're spreading false information. While the rep did say that future games are planned, they have not been specific in any way about what and when, if ever, those future games will be released. Obviously, if sales are poor, there may never be any future licensing or releases.

Similarly, other than fanboys clamoring for hard cases, there is no indication the extra games or really the extra game at this point will be packaged in any way other than shown, on a blister pack attached to a piece of cardboard.

Finally, there is no indication that this thing is or isn't selling well. Amazon and Gamestop are not stocking this as a regular item and currently, no brick and mortar store other than Gamestop will be selling it and even then, it will only be by preorder. The logical assumption is that this is being handled on a drop ship basis and that's why the preorders were cut off a few weeks before delivery. Frankly, not even all of the retailers they claimed would be selling this have done so and given the low margin on the unit according to one independent game shop owner I know that was offered the opportunity to stock it, I doubt Amazon or Gamestop really is pushing for more stock.

It's fine to be excited about something, but this is CAG and not a Neo Geo fanboy site. As such, it would be helpful if you stuck to the facts and not wishful thinking and speculation.

Quoting what the man said is spreading false information? Well, okay.

No, if it was handled on a drop ship basis and the preorders were cut off a few weeks before delivery, Target wouldn't have started accepting orders after it went out of stock on Amazon -weeks- ago. It wouldn't be for sale on Target anymore. The logical assumption is that it's selling out. Another indication was it's top 5 most-anticipated status on GameStop for a period of time. Sounds like you're the one speculating/spreading false info to me.

The rep specified that the games will start 'rolling out' by early next year and that we'd hear more about them either in December/early next year.

I never specified that they'd come in hard cases, that was one of the things I mentioned being up in the air at the moment. The mock-up for Ninja Master's is just a mock-up, and the pack-in title isn't representative of what could be for sale on the market (see: PSP's pack-ins coming in small sleeves).

Pretty much everything you've said is either wrong or more speculation, which kind of defeats your point. Including the 'NeoGeo fanboy' part, I've never used the system. I've been pretty upfront about my unconfirmed information. It'd be helpful if you weren't such a negative nancy.

#249 Goateed_Undertaker

Goateed_Undertaker

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:51 AM

I'm really torn on this. On the one hand, I really wanna support the resurrection of a retro system, but on the other I don't want to buy into something that there is no guarantee they won't drop support for six months down the line.

Waiting to see what happens with this before taking the plunge I guess.
Check out my horror game reviews! http://redgoateerob.wordpress.com/

#250 ghostsong

ghostsong

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:59 AM

i finally cancelled. I'm just not willing to take a $200 gamble on more games being released later.

#251 spiderdog

spiderdog

$59.99 for a Game no Way!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:24 PM

Here's some info on how well this system is doing as far as preorders.
http://www.hardcoreg...ost-everywhere/

http://news.punchjum...10-pre-release/

This week, the Neo Geo X Gold Limited Edition Handheld ranked as the No. 8 best-selling pre-order product at BestBuy.com.

I preordered from Bestbuy. I was going to go to GameStop and found out they were sold out. So I searched and found these articles.

Edited by spiderdog, 30 November 2012 - 03:11 PM.

Posted Image

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← →B A
PSN=spiderdog
XBL=Spiderdogg

#252 bojay1997

bojay1997

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:45 PM

Here's some info on how well this system is doing as far as preorders.
http://www.hardcoreg...ost-everywhere/

http://news.punchjum...10-pre-release/

This week, the Neo Geo X Gold Limited Edition Handheld ranked as the No. 8 best-selling pre-order product at BestBuy.com.

I preordered from Bestbuy. I was going to go to GameStop and found out they were sold out. So I searched and found these articles.

Those two articles are complete speculation. Walmart and Toys R Us never even listed the system for sale. Similarly, there are no major release games between now and January, so of course this thing would rank on the Best Buy pre-order list because there really isn't anything else to preorder this week. This is getting sad to the point of desperate.

#253 Sion

Sion

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:11 PM

Just checked my email Best Buy also moved the release date to the 18th

#254 Nerdstick

Nerdstick

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:46 PM

Those two articles are complete speculation. Walmart and Toys R Us never even listed the system for sale. Similarly, there are no major release games between now and January, so of course this thing would rank on the Best Buy pre-order list because there really isn't anything else to preorder this week. This is getting sad to the point of desperate.

The first article is mistaken. But it's fair to say it's selling out when your 'drop ship' idea is easily debunked and it's on multiple best-selling lists. Seems like you're just out to crap on the system.

I'd be surprised there's as many preorders as there are considering it's close release to the WiiU. Holds more weight than 'nothing else to preorder'.

#255 bojay1997

bojay1997

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:21 PM

The first article is mistaken. But it's fair to say it's selling out when your 'drop ship' idea is easily debunked and it's on multiple best-selling lists. Seems like you're just out to crap on the system.

I'd be surprised there's as many preorders as there are considering it's close release to the WiiU. Holds more weight than 'nothing else to preorder'.

The point is, you have no evidence of how many units had to be preordered to get to #8 on the Best Buy charts. It could have been a handful. If it was #1 or even #2 and supplanting the WiiU on the chart, I would think maybe you have a point. It's not like people regularly go to BestBuy.com to preorder stuff when nothing is close to release and they aren't offering any special promotions to encourage preorders. If this thing was really sold out, don't you think Tommo would be crowing about it in a press release? The reality is that retailers don't even have enough faith in it to make it a regular stock item in their stores. Give it up and stop spreading lies and misrepresentations about the rarity of this thing. It will be available well below MSRP for CAGs to pick up soon enough.

#256 Nerdstick

Nerdstick

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:40 PM

The point is, you have no evidence of how many units had to be preordered to get to #8 on the Best Buy charts. It could have been a handful. If it was #1 or even #2 and supplanting the WiiU on the chart, I would think maybe you have a point. It's not like people regularly go to BestBuy.com to preorder stuff when nothing is close to release and they aren't offering any special promotions to encourage preorders. If this thing was really sold out, don't you think Tommo would be crowing about it in a press release? The reality is that retailers don't even have enough faith in it to make it a regular stock item in their stores. Give it up and stop spreading lies and misrepresentations about the rarity of this thing. It will be available well below MSRP for CAGs to pick up soon enough.

There's a basis for it being sold out, and none for 'drop shipments'. Again, you're as much a liar as you're pointing fingers. I'd doubt a press release given the scarcity of any in the first place.

Do you have any proof that retailers rejected it being a regular stock item?

I'm sure it'll come back in stock everywhere after the 18th. Doubt we'll see a sale for a while given the standalone unit is in February.

#257 bojay1997

bojay1997

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:05 PM

There's a basis for it being sold out, and none for 'drop shipments'. Again, you're as much a liar as you're pointing fingers. I'd doubt a press release given the scarcity of any in the first place.

Do you have any proof that retailers rejected it being a regular stock item?

I'm sure it'll come back in stock everywhere after the 18th. Doubt we'll see a sale for a while given the standalone unit is in February.

You really think Tommo wouldn't send out a press release hyping the success of this thing if it "sold out"? Of course they would.

By the way, the unit is down to #10 on the Best Buy pre-order list, just two slots above the Avengers WiiU Battle for Earth game. Do you really think thousands of people are preordering that game considering there are only about 400K WiiUs out there now and Best Buy is offering no incentive for the preorder? Let's be honest, people aren't preordering much right now given how much they just spent on Black Friday and the fact that other than Far Cry 3 and the Walking Dead games (both of which are at the top of the preorder list), nothing is releasing until January with most of the major Spring releases hitting in February or later.

Gamestop is taking store preorders only and have no plans to carry it as a regular stock item per the information they provided to their managers. Similarly, no other major retailer is stocking it in stores. If you have evidence to the contrary, please post it.

#258 Nerdstick

Nerdstick

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:12 PM

You really think Tommo wouldn't send out a press release hyping the success of this thing if it "sold out"? Of course they would.

By the way, the unit is down to #10 on the Best Buy pre-order list, just two slots above the Avengers WiiU Battle for Earth game. Do you really think thousands of people are preordering that game considering there are only about 400K WiiUs out there now and Best Buy is offering no incentive for the preorder? Let's be honest, people aren't preordering much right now given how much they just spent on Black Friday and the fact that other than Far Cry 3 and the Walking Dead games (both of which are at the top of the preorder list), nothing is releasing until January with most of the major Spring releases hitting in February or later.

Gamestop is taking store preorders only and have no plans to carry it as a regular stock item per the information they provided to their managers. Similarly, no other major retailer is stocking it in stores. If you have evidence to the contrary, please post it.

So you're dismissing any notion of it selling out and it being a best-seller because it 'might' be different while stating all of your own speculation as fact. Okay. :roll: Of course they would, as long as you say so. Sort of like how they've had the 'Sign up for more info' form all year long and never sent out a single email. But yes, you're calling foul on speculation with some speculation of your own, which is silly.

To restate as matter-of-factly as possible for you:

Units are now unavailable on Amazon/GameStop, Target and Best Buy* are the only retailers left in stock.
Was a top-seller for a period of time on GameStop, is a top-seller on BestBuy, though no specific preorder numbers exist.
Information on game releases for the system are supposedly expected to go out in December or later, new games supposedly expected to start 'rolling in' early next year with the acquisition of licenses. Of those current plans are only AES titles and single-game releases for the time-being, no exact titles are known.

Edited by Nerdstick, 30 November 2012 - 08:26 PM.

#259 bojay1997

bojay1997

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:17 PM

So you're dismissing any notion of it selling out and it being a best-seller because it 'might' be different while stating all of your own speculation as fact. Okay. :roll:

I am happy to concede that I have no factual basis for claiming it isn't selling well as long as you concede that you have no factual basis for claiming that it is. Both are pure speculation, but from my perspective, I believe I know the signs when something is really a rarity and this will not be. Like I said, this is CAG, not a Neo Geo fanboy website. We are interested in deals and convincing people that something is sold out and won't be available for MSRP or less goes contrary to that because it encourages people to spend more money than they have to out of fear that they won't be able to get something later.

Target is not the only retailer left. Best Buy is still taking orders and Tommo is still making the unit available to independent retailers if they want to order it. I know my local independent game store has it in their distributor's catalog and can order it as of yesterday.

As far as game releases, we don't know whether an announcement will be made in December or next year or never. Until the announcement is made, anything else is speculation based on one off-hand statement by a paid PR rep. We also don't know what titles if any will be released down the road. Please stop telling people that things are facts when they aren't. Your theory that just because it has an SD type slot somehow guarantees more releases is laughable. Lots of electronic devices and consoles have various slots and while the capability is there, it has no bearing on whether or not something is going to happen. Heck, the N64 disc drive unit never came out in the US, but my N64 has a slot for it.

#260 Nerdstick

Nerdstick

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:24 PM

I am happy to concede that I have no factual basis for claiming it isn't selling well as long as you concede that you have no factual basis for claiming that it is. Both are pure speculation, but from my perspective

Being on two best-seller lists is my basis. Yours is only speculation. And as I said I'm not a NeoGeo fanboy.

The standalone unit is going on sale months later, so it'll be available. Perhaps for less eventually, I never said it wouldn't be. Although to be technical only the first batch with Ninja Master's is going to be limited edition, and will be unobtainable at some point after the first batch sells out. Whether or not it's worth the rush comes down to that distinction.

Corrected the Best Buy part. What the PR Rep says has more weight than what you can speculate. I did say 'supposedly', so I didn't state it as fact.

#261 bojay1997

bojay1997

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:33 PM

Being on two best-seller lists is my basis. Yours is only speculation. And as I said I'm not a NeoGeo fanboy.

The standalone unit is going on sale months later, so it'll be available. Perhaps for less eventually, I never said it wouldn't be. Although to be technical only the first batch with Ninja Master's is going to be limited edition, and will be unobtainable at some point after the first batch sells out. Whether or not it's worth the rush comes down to that distinction.

Corrected the Best Buy part. What the PR Rep says has more weight than what you can speculate. I did say 'supposedly', so I didn't state it as fact.

That's not a factual basis as you have no knowledge of what it takes to be on the list and they aren't independently verified lists like the New York Times bestseller list or even NPD. The retailer lists are designed to drive hype and increase preorders by making you think something is popular and will be hard to get. It's a marketing tool. As such, your view is just as speculative as mine.

Similarly, a rep saying something is not the same as it being a fact or the truth. Video game companies far larger and more established than Tommo or Blaze make claims all the time about future releases and inevitably, many of them never come to be. Buying this unit on the basis of future releases is a leap of faith and there is a good chance there never will be any future releases, at least not licensed from SNK.

As I've said all along, I have no problem with people buying or not buying this thing. What I do have a problem with is people repeatedly making misrepresentations and creating wishful claims about what it is or will be.

#262 psychonaut

psychonaut

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:44 PM

Word of advice if ordering from Target online.

Order only if you are absolutely sure you want it! I found out the hard way today that Target online has a BS Cancel policy that states you are only allowed to cancel 30 minutes after placing an order online. I spoke to Supervisors, etc... and none would budge.

Was told I would have to refuse shipment or return the product to store for a refund. Problem is - they are charging my card and then need to refund the money... terrible way to do business and I am really surprised a big store like Target holds their customers hostage like this.

#263 chimpmeister

chimpmeister

Hates gimmicks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:23 PM

FYI, Toys R Us now has the Neo Geo X joystick (but only the joystick, strangely) up for preorder. I mention this because they also have a B1G1 50% off deal on accessories, and it applies to this stick. So if you add two to your cart, the total is $75 plus tax (shipping is free). I'm debating cancelling my extra stick from Amazon and ordering two of these from TRU, for less than $80 shipped. Here's the link:

http://www.toysrus.c...dFindSrc=search

Also Walmart briefly had the stick (and only the stick) up for preorder, but it almost immediately went "unavailable". Links in the OP have been updated with all the places I could find for the system and sticks.

#264 RastaNine

RastaNine

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:18 PM

I am looking forward to getting the system. Like previous posters have said, it is completely worth it just for the included games. I previously owned the home system, and games were $200 a pop. Games like Sam Sho 2 are great. I'd buy it if only SamSho 2 was on it. I think it depends on if you were a gamer back then and can remember pumping quarters into the Neo Geo cabinets. What I am interested in is the one game on an SD card, Ninja Masters. It may be possible to look at what format the game is in, and then produce your own game roms, which you can play on the system. Imagine taking all of the existing roms floating around, copying them to an SD card, and then playing them on the console... If that is possible, the value of the system will skyrocket. Hmm.

#265 Nerdstick

Nerdstick

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:24 PM

Grain of salt (via GameFAQ user): "so I talked to a GameStop support guy about the NeoGeoX. I noticed that it is now listed as "Not Available", so I expressed my concern about my Preorder. He said that at this moment, it is definitely planned to ship at the listed date (around December 18th). According to him, it's now listed as "Not Available" because their initial allocated supply has been exhausted."

Sold out indeed. Unless the GameStop employee was lying along with all the fake best-seller lists. :)

Personally I wouldn't buy the X just for the sake of hacking it. I doubt it would be so easy if they planned on releasing individual cards. But who knows.

#266 cag1000

cag1000

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:36 PM

Sold out from Amazon?? Anyone know how long it was up on there for?

#267 PikaPichu

PikaPichu

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:41 PM

Sold out from Amazon?? Anyone know how long it was up on there for?

It seems to come in and out of stock on Amazon. Not sure if it's due to them acquiring more from the manufacturer, or just from people cancelling their current preorders.

#268 bojay1997

bojay1997

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:22 PM

Grain of salt (via GameFAQ user): "so I talked to a GameStop support guy about the NeoGeoX. I noticed that it is now listed as "Not Available", so I expressed my concern about my Preorder. He said that at this moment, it is definitely planned to ship at the listed date (around December 18th). According to him, it's now listed as "Not Available" because their initial allocated supply has been exhausted."

Sold out indeed. Unless the GameStop employee was lying along with all the fake best-seller lists. :)

Personally I wouldn't buy the X just for the sake of hacking it. I doubt it would be so easy if they planned on releasing individual cards. But who knows.

Ok, so let's say that's accurate. How many did Gamestop order as their "initial allocated supply"? I know in talking to my local indy game shop owner that he didn't order any because even if you ordered a large quantity, the margin was only about 10% which is terrible. I would imagine that Gamestop and other retailers committed to a fairly small quantity such that they would not have any stock at all sitting in warehouses and certainly not at their stores. Indeed, Gamestop isn't stocking it in stores at all unless you preorder for store delivery. So, yes, it's possible that Gamestop and Amazon have sold out of the allocation they committed to, but without knowing how large that allocation is, it's a worthless fact.

#269 Nerdstick

Nerdstick

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:01 PM

Enough to get it on the top-selling lists, and at minimum enough to justify stocking it in the first place. Enough sold to cause a delay for production to catch up. Who knows! It's legitimately sold out no matter what kind of negative spin you'd like to put on it.

#270 chimpmeister

chimpmeister

Hates gimmicks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:08 PM

Enough to get it on the top-selling lists, and at minimum enough to justify stocking it in the first place. Enough sold to cause a delay for production to catch up. Who knows! It's legitimately sold out no matter what kind of negative spin you'd like to put on it.

The Neo Geo X Gold system is still available from Best Buy, but that's about it for North America (other than maybe some small gameshops):

http://www.bestbuy.c...eogeo&cp=1&lp=1

The arcade sticks by themselves are still available at TRU, and you can use the B1G1 50% off deal for accessories (I preordered two for $78 shipped, $75 plus tax):

http://www.toysrus.c...dFindSrc=search

Other than those places, it does seem to be mostly sold out.