Half Life: Black Mesa Source Released! (Free)

I had no idea this was finally coming out. It's been years, hasn't it? Thanks for the heads up!

[quote name='NEP']I had no idea this was finally coming out. It's been years, hasn't it? Thanks for the heads up![/QUOTE]

Ya, Valve gave up on it I guess but it's been handed off to be a community driven project. I don't think they could complete the entire thing, but there's a good amount of it done and it's free.

[quote name='Link2999']Ya, Valve gave up on it I guess but it's been handed off to be a community driven project. I don't think they could complete the entire thing, but there's a good amount of it done and it's free.[/QUOTE]

It was never a Valve project.

[quote name='jack612']It was never a Valve project.[/QUOTE]

Who was making it originally then? I thought years back they announced it but then it just kind of evaporated. Was it always just a community mod?

[quote name='tranceFusion']what is the deal with this? It's a stand-alone download right now but at some point later it will release through steam?[/QUOTE]

It garnered enough votes for Steam Greenlight. It'll most likely show up in the Steam Store eventually as a free mod.

^^^Totoro conspiracy :). The original black mesa was pretty fun, I think it actually had coop too so might be nice to run through iit again with a friend. But yeah, valve needs to hurry up with another episode.

***Damn just watched the trailer, definitely gonna play! plus its free. But the side tab only says singleplayer , oh wells.

[quote name='Link2999']Who was making it originally then? I thought years back they announced it but then it just kind of evaporated. Was it always just a community mod?[/QUOTE]

It's always been a community mod. It's been these same guys since day one. They've just taken forever to get anything out.

Awesome! Thanks for the post, OP. I've been waiting seemingly forever for another HL. Gaben should be ashamed of himself.

ITS OUT
2a0ex54.jpg

Please note in the OP this is not the full game, this is all gameplay up to the Lambda Core. The second part (Xen) is still being worked on and will come in a second, separate release some time from now.

[quote name='"slashgear Article Linked Below"']The Black Mesa team announced its first ship date earlier this month, focusing on play “all the way up to Lambda Core.” A second part is still in the pipeline, however. “We are still working hard on Xen and BMDM” the team said, “but instead of making you wait we are giving you Black Mesa as soon as it’s ready.”[/quote]

http://www.slashgear.com/black-mesa-released-half-life-is-reborn-14247596/

[quote name='Link2999']Who was making it originally then? I thought years back they announced it but then it just kind of evaporated. Was it always just a community mod?[/QUOTE]

You are thinking about Half-Life:Return to Ravenholm. Different game. Black mesa was always a community mod.

I'm still waiting to get my 6870 from the Defense Grid Kickstarter... it was supposed to ship early Sept but they're still waiting to get all the cards (and other hardware) so that they can ship everything at once (instead of shipping them out as they get them). Seems kinda dumb because when they have all of them, it'll take a lot of time to pack/prepare the cards one by one.:roll:

But until I get my new card, I can't play this...:whistle2:(

[quote name='Vinny']I'm still waiting to get my 6870 from the Defense Grid Kickstarter... it was supposed to ship early Sept but they're still waiting to get all the cards (and other hardware) so that they can ship everything at once (instead of shipping them out as they get them). Seems kinda dumb because when they have all of them, it'll take a lot of time to pack/prepare the cards one by one.:roll:

But until I get my new card, I can't play this...:whistle2:([/QUOTE]

They actually gave out graphics cards for the kickstarter? How much did you have to pay? I need an upgrade, but I'm running two in crossfire and can play this game fine.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']I haven't played half life in years but I am pretty sure the mod covers like 90 percent of the game.[/QUOTE]

14 out of 18 chapters... and I never cared for the Xen stuff anyway.

[quote name='supershammy']Please note in the OP this is not the full game, this is all gameplay up to the Lambda Core. The second part (Xen) is still being worked on and will come in a second, separate release some time from now.

http://www.slashgear.com/black-mesa-released-half-life-is-reborn-14247596/[/QUOTE]

This pissed me off a little bit until I remembered how crappy the Xen chapters were so maybe this is what Half Life 1 should have been anyways! :)

Argh, just replayed the source version like a month ago but it probably deserves another playthrough. Trailer looks amazing!

[quote name='Blade']They actually gave out graphics cards for the kickstarter? How much did you have to pay? I need an upgrade, but I'm running two in crossfire and can play this game fine.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, they were giving out lots of good items. The 6870 was for a $105 donation (you could get a 6770 for $70)... plus you get the original Defense Grid game and expansion when it's finished. I needed a new card and that was a great deal (since these cards are still going for ~$150) but I didn't expect to have to wait this long.:whistle2:/

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hiddenpath/defense-grid-2

This project just shows how incredibly long it takes for a full-scale game to be completed by even the absolute most dedicated and concerted amateur modders. I remember reading about this remake years and years ago--nearly a decade, perhaps--and it STILL isn't fully finished. Games that are completed in a 2-3 year life-cycle by a fully-financed game studio are a completely different animal than even the efforts of most talented of the volunteer modding community.

Kinda lends perspective to how amazing it is that studios like Treyarch, Naughty Dog, or DICE can pump out entirely new, original games, year after year after year.

[quote name='Shadow Cloud']No because it installs to Steam. I thought you need Half Life 2 installed in order to play this?[/QUOTE]

Just need the free SDK thingy, no Half Life 2.

I've played through a few chapters last night. Compared to the original, this one is amazing.

It really is awesome. Feels like a nostalgia-goggles version of Half-Life, or in other words, Half-Life as you remember it rather than Half-Life as it is. Unless of course you've played HL recently (I haven't touched it since right before Orange Box came out.)

Never played the first, so I'll wait until the story is complete. Now if Star Trek Excalibur would ever release....

They updated the torrent trackers, pulling a solid 3.2 MB/Sec. right now. My question is will they saves from this work with the final Steam version when it drops, oh and where's the sdk at? I've searched and can't find it on Steam, and the official site has no link. I already had Half Life: Source and Half Life 2 on Steam, any hints?

In Steam go to View>Tools and pick Source SDK 2007. Simple as that.

I expect the saves will carry over. You might have to manually move them or something but they should work.

[quote name='FatherChesz']Damn, http downloads are hammered right now. Hope the torrents work better when I make it home.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='N3UROP0D']In Steam go to View>Tools and pick Source SDK 2007. Simple as that.

I expect the saves will carry over. You might have to manually move them or something but they should work.[/QUOTE]

Wow, that was fast. Thank You Sir.

Which should I download from (eg. Desura, Mod DB, Gamers Hell, etc.)? I keep getting an ESET security warning when I try to download from Mod DB.

[quote name='sTaTIx']This project just shows how incredibly long it takes for a full-scale game to be completed by even the absolute most dedicated and concerted amateur modders. I remember reading about this remake years and years ago--nearly a decade, perhaps--and it STILL isn't fully finished. Games that are completed in a 2-3 year life-cycle by a fully-financed game studio are a completely different animal than even the efforts of most talented of the volunteer modding community.

Kinda lends perspective to how amazing it is that studios like Treyarch, Naughty Dog, or DICE can pump out entirely new, original games, year after year after year.[/QUOTE]

Off Topic Response
Treyarch has 250 employees, Naughty Dog +210, and Dice 280. If we say that only half of those employees are developers, with the other half being everyone else needed to run a business, then that is still a lot more people working on said projects (with the exception of Naughty Dog). Black Mesa has had roughly 80-90 people, and I have no idea how long those past team members worked on the project. And honestly I doubt only half of the employees are developers. I would assume closer to two thirds would be or higher.

That coupled with the fact that the developers you named have been making the same games for years and years, as in not original, seems to show a big difference between why it took them 8 years and others only 2.

Also please don't argue the originality of the games those developers you named. You could have given so many better examples, but decided to pick three that have been making either nearly the same games or series that each is just a new and improved, or advanced, version of the previous (Naughty Dog). There are some deviations in their recent track record, but come on, Treyarch has been making Call of Duty games since 2005.

I am really glad to see this is finally out, even if not entirely finished. I guess I am more glad that Valve didn't decide to shut it down, but actually allow it and even allow it through their service. Now I can finally go through and play the game, and get past the first 20 minutes which I have never done.

You may be thinking of "Half Life: Source" which uses the HL2 engine and did come out. However, a lot of people assumed THAT game would be like Black Mesa... it wasn't since it was (almost) a straight port.

bread's done
Back