RIP Amazon ... well sorta

Toss

CAGiversary!
Feedback
10 (100%)
Now that Amazon will be required to charge tax here in California, i feel an era has ended. I had always viewed any amazon credit I had as being more valuable than GS credit and (marginally) Bestbuy credit. Now that there will be tax and Amazon is no where as aggressive as they once were on gaming prices, TIVs (as well as the quantity caps), Gamestop will be my go to place. It helps that there are more than 20 of them within 40 minutes of my house.
I'm glad i picked up those Gibson electrics while they were ultra cheap and tax free last month! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Paying tax online stinks, but what are ya gonna do. NewEgg is just about the last place I can get stuff tax-free online.

Now if they ever start charging tax on Steam, that will be the end of an era.

same here unless Amazon stars offering $10+ credit with every game or lowers prices then Gamestop is gonna be the way to go for new releases especially with midnight release for big titles for the same price and with exclusive DLC

Yeah, unfortunately this will greatly impact my spending habits on amazon.

I'd hope that amazon would bring back videogame credits during the holidays to help with the savings and encourage me to shop with them despite the tax.

I remember reading an article that they were looking to offer same day delivery since they were now going to charge tax but I'm sure that would come at a premium like one-day shipping

Yea, this definitely will affect my buying decisions. I still have a Prime account (for now), so at least I'll still have free shipping...

I noticed nothing has changed tax wise buying stuff from third parties on Amazon...so looks like the cheaper option will be stuff not sold by amazon.

I will definitely still purchase from Amazon, especially with the value of Prime. Unless its something I need ASAP, Amazon saves me from having to waste time and even gasoline in terms of going somewhere.

The only consideration might be shopping at Best Buy if the Reward Zone point ratio is basically still equivalent to the sales tax, because then its like getting your tax back when you qualify for a cert. Plus Best Buy has been riding the free shipping train hard this year, but I can't see that continuing forever.

Does any one else knows a good online store that is out states besides Tigerdirect? Looks like I'll be shopping more at newegg.

[quote name='N3UROP0D']Paying tax online stinks, but what are ya gonna do. NewEgg is just about the last place I can get stuff tax-free online.

Now if they ever start charging tax on Steam, that will be the end of an era.[/QUOTE]

I live in Washington state (where both Amazon and Valve are located) so I have to pay tax at both places online. They're still the best deals around. Although GreenManGaming.com has had some pretty stellar deals on pc games lately as well.

I have to admit. It makes me sad everytime I read one of these threads. Like someone is entitled to not pay tax that is due on purchases. There was a loophole for a while and now it's closed. Get over it.

Having said that. There are bunches of reasons to still buy from Amazon, I'll name 3.

1. Most games are usually 5-10% cheaper than local places.

2. Depending on your car/location from the store, it costs money to do the shipping for the store. The IRS reimbursement rate for mileage is $.55/mile which so supposed to account for the total cost of driving a vehicle. Assuming you drive 10 miles (there back/5 miles) you have $5.50 into going to a store and picking up a game.

3. Assuming those 10 miles are in a city, you probably have 20-30 minutes in time on the road.

The transportation costs and opportunity costs of going to a store are usually ignored in these emotional rants.

[quote name='smallsharkbigbite']I have to admit. It makes me sad everytime I read one of these threads. Like someone is entitled to not pay tax that is due on purchases. There was a loophole for a while and now it's closed. Get over it.

[/QUOTE]

People like you make me sad. Holier than thou hypocrites on their high horses acting so great. We all know you do much worse stuff than not pay sales tax. Go away and stop posting your opinions on the internet please. Thank you.

this is why i sold my amazon stock the other week was a very nice run from 65 to 200+ but with most states getting taxxed by next year i can see the stock falling back under 175 to even 150

though am not stupid enough to try to short the sob

[quote name='smallsharkbigbite']I have to admit. It makes me sad everytime I read one of these threads. Like someone is entitled to not pay tax that is due on purchases. There was a loophole for a while and now it's closed. Get over it.

Having said that. There are bunches of reasons to still buy from Amazon, I'll name 3.

1. Most games are usually 5-10% cheaper than local places.

2. Depending on your car/location from the store, it costs money to do the shipping for the store. The IRS reimbursement rate for mileage is $.55/mile which so supposed to account for the total cost of driving a vehicle. Assuming you drive 10 miles (there back/5 miles) you have $5.50 into going to a store and picking up a game.

3. Assuming those 10 miles are in a city, you probably have 20-30 minutes in time on the road.

The transportation costs and opportunity costs of going to a store are usually ignored in these emotional rants.[/QUOTE]

Well, in los angeles youre never more than 3-4 miles from anything. I have 3 targets, 2 best buys, 2 walmarts, and probably 6 or 7 gamestops within 10 minutes of me. Now that, things for the most part are the same price or cheaper, and I can actually have them the same day, I dont see how amazon isnt going to see a lot less of my business.

I used to wait during the week and hope amazon would match a target or BB sale, but now there's no point to it. Especially with places like BB and gamestop, rewarding you with points for your purchases, and places like bigcrumbs (which amazon refuses to partake in, but most other online retailers do) earning you even more back.

I have 192 amazon orders this year, makes me wonder how this is going to affect UPS.

[quote name='musha666']People like you make me sad. Holier than thou hypocrites on their high horses acting so great. We all know you do much worse stuff than not pay sales tax. Go away and stop posting your opinions on the internet please. Thank you.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the personal attack since you can't generate an argument on why it's ethically correct to not pay taxes. Either way, there isn't much more to talk about. This is like the 50th I now have pay sales tax so I'm moving my business thread. If that's what you want to do fine. Not much point in acting like you're superior because you don't pay sales tax with an internet rant.

[quote name='edson13']Well, in los angeles youre never more than 3-4 miles from anything. I have 3 targets, 2 best buys, 2 walmarts, and probably 6 or 7 gamestops within 10 minutes of me. Now that, things for the most part are the same price or cheaper, and I can actually have them the same day, I dont see how amazon isnt going to see a lot less of my business. .[/QUOTE]

Within 10 minutes = 15-20 minutes of total travel time? 6 miles/roundtrip is still a cost of $3.30 per the IRS.

You're probably abnormal that you are so close to everything but I'm not against buying locally. It's actually great for your local economy. I was just saying that for most people it still wouldn't make sense considering the other costs involved.

Either way, assuming Amazon sees a significant decrease in volume, they will probably be more aggressive with sales/price matching which isn't bad for the consumer.

[quote name='smallsharkbigbite']Thanks for the personal attack since you can't generate an argument on why it's ethically correct to not pay taxes. Either way, there isn't much more to talk about. This is like the 50th I now have pay sales tax so I'm moving my business thread. If that's what you want to do fine. Not much point in acting like you're superior because you don't pay sales tax with an internet rant.[/QUOTE]

I think the point was that he didn't want to argue with it. He was trying to not turn it into an argument of ethics. Besides, as Lentricchia would say, "Tell us truly, have you no filth in your soul?" Most people are not in a position to make arguments of what is and isn't moral. A cynical person that is aware of this will certainly be irritated when they see one.

Of course it's not 'ethical' to not pay sales tax. No one is going to listen to some guy on a message board on a moral high horse about it, though. This thread wasn't even about that aspect of it. It makes the price of purchases go up, and no one like that. That's it, really.

(For the record, though, his response was a bit on the 'strong' side... lol)

[quote name='Zaku77']
Of course it's not 'ethical' to not pay sales tax. No one is going to listen to some guy on a message board on a moral high horse about it, though. This thread wasn't even about that aspect of it. It makes the price of purchases go up, and no one like that. That's it, really.

(For the record, though, his response was a bit on the 'strong' side... lol)[/QUOTE]
It doesn't make the price of purchase go up since you were suppose to pay that tax to begin with. Plain and simple.

Talk about tax evasion. CAG is cool with it. Talk about return fraud at Walmart. CAG is up in arms/mods go crazy. Look at the irony...
----------------------
Anyway, Amazon has been dying for over a year now. Hardly any deal they create. Little to no credit deals. All they do is match some deals. Too low and they won't touch. See Best Buy Deal of Day. They hardly touch those. Now people in CA being forced to pay tax finally. Nail in coffin in CA. Best Buy might survive after all. :D

An asshole can still tell someone else they are an asshole too and be correct about that, to put it crudely. This thread doesn't seem to understand that.

When Amazon starts collecting sales tax, it isn't likely to change my buying habits there. I shop there because of their selection and prime shipping makes it super convenient. And their cs is top shelf.

[quote name='lordopus99']It doesn't make the price of purchase go up since you were suppose to pay that tax to begin with. Plain and simple.

Talk about tax evasion. CAG is cool with it. Talk about return fraud at Walmart. CAG is up in arms/mods go crazy. Look at the irony...
----------------------
Anyway, Amazon has been dying for over a year now. Hardly any deal they create. Little to no credit deals. All they do is match some deals. Too low and they won't touch. See Best Buy Deal of Day. They hardly touch those. Now people in CA being forced to pay tax finally. Nail in coffin in CA. Best Buy might survive after all. :D[/QUOTE]

You were 'supposed' to pay it to begin with. If one hasn't been paying it for years, though, then it actually does make the price of purchases go up! It may be up to where it should have been in the first place, but up is up, regardless.

(I live on Oregon anyway, so I just laugh at all you jokers with your sales tax... lol)

I don't know. I think living in Orgeon is worse then paying taxes if you live in a metropoltian area.

I mean I know there are 50 states and all but like 20 to me don't exist in till I hear about them.

Anyway happy to be tax free on amazon here in FL.

[quote name='Zaku77']
(I live on Oregon anyway, so I just laugh at all you jokers with your sales tax... lol)[/QUOTE]
You know they get you other ways like your top 5 highest income tax rate. Not to mention, it being overcast all the time must leave everyone so depressed.

[quote name='lordopus99']You know they get you other ways like your top 5 highest income tax rate. Not to mention, it being overcast all the time must leave everyone so depressed.[/QUOTE]

Plus paying for other people to pump your gas.

I buy my own fuel and have tanks at my house, but having someone else pump it for you is definitely nice. The income tax thing is true, but I make a lot of my money online, and there are certain thresholds that one must pass in order for it to 'need' to be reported. the differences between the states are all 'supposed' to even out in the end anyway (lol). I would just hate to pay extra money on everything that I bought. I've never had to do that, so it just seems foreign and weird to me.

[quote name='musha666']People like you make me sad. Holier than thou hypocrites on their high horses acting so great. We all know you do much worse stuff than not pay sales tax. Go away and stop posting your opinions on the internet please. Thank you.[/QUOTE]

Total overreaction. For me personally, I will continue to use Amazon even if Mass orders get hit with the 6.25. They consistently beat everyone on most things I buy. Doesn't matter if its GPS watches or Kong dog toys. Tossing a couple bucks in tax on top of that won't make much of a difference. Plus Prime takes the shipping sting away.

Most of the people ranting and raving will continue shopping on Amazon because they know Amazon consistently beats the competition on a lot of stuff. They just think Amazon will bow down to them and offer credit or something similar if they bitch and moan about paying sales tax like its Amazon's fault. Entitlement at its finest. Amazon is not going anywhere or dying because of sales tax.

Amazon.com use to get all my game business but the last year a half was aweful. Last year my local Kmart and Best Buy had all the deals with gaming coupons while Amazon really had nothing. This year Best Buy and Newegg are the clear winners. Newegg with the constant $12 off specials. BB even with sales tax I still benfit the most by with my preorder instore pickup along with receiving DLC and the $20 gaming coupons for the Unlocked Gamer program is excellent.

This is the first time in years I have absolutely nothing on pre-order with Amazon.com. All my orders are with BB or Newegg.

I will still buy from Amazon, I have been taxed in NY for years but what kills it for me is the $25 minimum for free shipping. Newegg doesn't havea minimum and usually has free or very cheap shipping and Best Buy almost always has free shipping or free store pickup. This way I can order a $10 game or a 15.99 game from Newegg and not have to pay shipping, but if I did the same on Amazon I would have to pay shipping. Walmart has free store pickup as well and their online prices seem to be cheaper than the store but that doesn't work so well for games, though I have found a few deals on their website as well. Unless I am buying an item over $25 of course which then I might choose Amazon.

Best Buy the stores are a bit far away from me however I can arrange it so I go to that area for multiple things instead of just a BB store pickup, its even better if they offer free shipping for their games.

[quote name='SaraAB']I will still buy from Amazon, I have been taxed in NY for years but what kills it for me is the $25 minimum for free shipping. Newegg doesn't havea minimum and usually has free or very cheap shipping and Best Buy almost always has free shipping or free store pickup. This way I can order a $10 game or a 15.99 game from Newegg and not have to pay shipping, but if I did the same on Amazon I would have to pay shipping. Walmart has free store pickup as well and their online prices seem to be cheaper than the store but that doesn't work so well for games, though I have found a few deals on their website as well. Unless I am buying an item over $25 of course which then I might choose Amazon.

Best Buy the stores are a bit far away from me however I can arrange it so I go to that area for multiple things instead of just a BB store pickup, its even better if they offer free shipping for their games.[/QUOTE]
Should get Amazon Prime. $79/year, 2-day shipping, $4 one-day as long as it's sold/fulfilled by Amazon. Totally worth it. Plus you get streaming movies.

[quote name='smallsharkbigbite']Thanks for the personal attack since you can't generate an argument on why it's ethically correct to not pay taxes.[/QUOTE]

Urm - you're kinda (completely) assuming having to pay sales tax on an interstate transaction is "ethically correct." The Constitution doesn't even allow for this type of tax, nor does the fact that something is a law demand its ethicality.

As it is, I'll certainly be backing off the impulse Amazon buys, probably buying in general. End result will be me saving more money...I guess that's a good thing, yo.

[quote name='62t']btw orders placed before the 15th wont be charge tax.[/QUOTE]

Not true. I ordered something yesterday, and saw today that it added $3 tax. Tried to cancel, and it said it was in shipping.

Edit:
I barely wanted Infinite Stratos, and now it costs as much as anywhere else!
82f4f77e.png

[quote name='sasukekun']Should get Amazon Prime. $79/year, 2-day shipping, $4 one-day as long as it's sold/fulfilled by Amazon. Totally worth it. Plus you get streaming movies.[/QUOTE]

I actually just signed up and canceled prime membership within 5 minutes after seeing their movie streaming selection, will stick with the partial prime membership a friend is giving me for free

[quote name='Dark Lord Greg']I actually just signed up and canceled prime membership within 5 minutes after seeing their movie streaming selection, will stick with the partial prime membership a friend is giving me for free[/QUOTE]

Their TV side, while no Netflix, is getting better.

The price per month for 2 day shipping plus video service is still less than Netflix streaming-only every month.

[quote name='kodave']Plus paying for other people to pump your gas.[/QUOTE]

Wait, is that required in OR? You can't pump your own gas?

bread's done
Back