Setting up Steam's "Big Picture"

HeSaveDave

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
Can anyone here help me out. I'm trying to figure out how to set up Steam's "Big Picture" mode using my existing PC and my HDTV. The PC and TV are about 35' away from eachother. I don't mind running a long HDMI cable and using wireless keyboard/mouse or just using USB extenders for my current keyboard and mouse and just carrying them over to the TV when I go.

My issues is that I don't know how to get it hooked up to where I can switch from using my PC monitor which is on my desk to using the HDTV. I am running a DVI cable to my monitor. My video card also has an HDMI out, though. If I run the HDMI out to the TV how do I make it switch from the DVI/Monitor to the HDMI/TV? Or will it just show up on both? I am really confused. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

There should be a general Big Picture thread.

I'm not going to use it (too many non-Steam or modded Steam games), but I have general questions about it. It would be good to see a discussion of it, but maybe the CAG PC community isn't really into it. If there's somebody who has a lot of experience with it, I'd really be interested in his/her experiences.

Hope you get your issues worked out Dave, it's something I wondered when I watched their video: do you have to reconfigure Windows for a kind of dual-monitor setup? It wasn't clear at all.

you could always remove the DVI from the GPU when you want to run it on your TV. But I haven't had experience doing anything like you want.

I figure there should be a option the amd or nvidia control panels to switch one display port off.

I was able to get it up and running on my tv. I'm running windows 7 and if you right click on your desktop and select screen resolution there's a few options there that should help. I believe one is to duplicate your desktop to both your monitor and tv, and there should also be an option just to show your desktop on your tv.

bread's done
Back