Photo
- - - - -

Amazon PCDD $12.49 Walking Dead ($7.49 after coupon)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18397 replies to this topic

#3181 nitman99

nitman99

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 October 2012 - 05:28 AM

I'm hearing mixed things: does the Amazon version of Bioshock 1 & 2 have any additional DRM beyond the Steam version, or is all of it also present in the version you'd buy directly from Steam's marketplace?

#3182 DWulf

DWulf

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 October 2012 - 05:38 AM

I'm hearing mixed things: does the Amazon version of Bioshock 1 & 2 have any additional DRM beyond the Steam version, or is all of it also present in the version you'd buy directly from Steam's marketplace?

From what I understand, Bioshock 1 has no extra DRM any more (SecuRom was patched out). Bioshock 2 uses GFWL and SecuRom, in addition to Steam, and this is also true if you buy directly from Steam.

#3183 MysterD

MysterD

CAG's "Favorite" DRM-Cashew & Cylon-Toaster

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 October 2012 - 05:40 AM

Bioshock 2
Bioshock 2 flat-out requires G4WL in all PC versions PERIOD.
If you go w/ a Steam Version on Bioshock 2, you'll deal w/ BOTH Steam and G4WL.

Bioshock 1
I can't speak on Bioshock 1 Steam Version.
I think Steam version for Bioshock 1 used Steam only, no Securom.
Not 100% on it; don't quote me on it.
Maybe someone who owns Bioshock 1: Steam Version can speak on that version's DRM for me?

I have Bioshock 1 retail version and ain't played it in years.
It was one of the earliest SP games to do the Internet activation thing w/ install limits + revokes nonsense.
Since it been so long, I don't know if the DRM limits got changed on retail version or what.

#3184 MysterD

MysterD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 October 2012 - 05:41 AM

From what I understand, Bioshock 1 has no extra DRM any more (SecuRom was patched out). Bioshock 2 uses GFWL and SecuRom, in addition to Steam, and this is also true if you buy directly from Steam.

Oooh, they left Securom in Steam version of Bioshock 2?
Why? [rhetorical]
Ugh at 3 layers - Steam, G4WL, and SecuRom.

And I thought Bioshock 2 Retail was plenty w/ Securom + G4WL...

#3185 UW_Shocks

UW_Shocks

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 October 2012 - 05:45 AM

Darkness II was $5 ?
What the heck!

A very cool Skyrim Mod:

Falskaar

http://skyrim.nexusm...com/mods/37994/

#3186 MysterD

MysterD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 October 2012 - 05:51 AM

Darkness II was $5 ?
What the heck!

Yup.
At 2PM PST, they (GameSpot & Amazon) had a joined-show on TwitchTV showing off VERY limited time game deals.
Darkness 2 PC download was 1 of those deals.

#3187 jrodri86

jrodri86

Meh, i'll wait to get it for a cheaper price.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 October 2012 - 06:06 AM

That was me actually :)

Well thanks :D, otherwise i wouldn't have got it, i was just ready to leave work when i saw the deal on twitter. Bought it, left work and by the time i was home it was already done.

Tretton.png

#3188 DWulf

DWulf

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 October 2012 - 06:39 AM

Oooh, they left Securom in Steam version of Bioshock 2?
Why? [rhetorical]
Ugh at 3 layers - Steam, G4WL, and SecuRom.

And I thought Bioshock 2 Retail was plenty w/ Securom + G4WL...

According to the Steam store page for Bioshock 2 and "The Big List of 3rd Party DRM on Steam" (http://steamdrm.flib...he_Big_DRM_List), Bioshock 2 does have SecuRom as well :cry:

#3189 Dev518

Dev518

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:10 AM

I'm hoping that we get an Assassin's Creed deal. I only picked up AC II from steam and now I'm wishing that I picked up Brotherhood and Revelations also so I can catch up for AC III.

#3190 reyhantyo

reyhantyo

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:42 AM

anyone knows until when the deal is lasts ? for bioshock pack

#3191 megahunter

megahunter

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 27 October 2012 - 12:50 PM

anyone knows until when the deal is lasts ? for bioshock pack

The answer is between post #3120 and #3130. ;)

#3192 MysterD

MysterD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 October 2012 - 01:13 PM

According to the Steam store page for Bioshock 2 and "The Big List of 3rd Party DRM on Steam" (http://steamdrm.flib...he_Big_DRM_List), Bioshock 2 does have SecuRom as well :cry:

Thank God that I bought Bioshock 2 at retail. I'd be quite annoyed w/ multiple layers of redundant & extra unnecessary DRM, if I bought the Steam version. Dev's/pub's can be so lazy on the Steam version, if the Retail version doesn't use Steam. They often just take the Retail Version w/ whatever DRM uses and just leave it alone - and then wrap the extra Steam DRM on top. With Steam versions, that IS unnecessary - b/c Steam itself is another form of DRM.

This is also why I prefer one layer of DRM (or none) - less extra silly hoops to jump through. So, in a sense - thank God that Bioshock: Infinite PC will flat-out require Steamworks.

#3193 60fps

60fps

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 October 2012 - 01:32 PM

Hey, does anyone know if Hotline Miami has any DRM?

There's a message in the Amazon forum where a guy says it's a Steam key, but the Amazon page itself doesn't mention Steam at all. Some people confuse any key for a Steam key, so I'd like some confirmation.

#3194 MysterD

MysterD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 October 2012 - 01:50 PM

Hey, does anyone know if Hotline Miami has any DRM?

There's a message in the Amazon forum where a guy says it's a Steam key, but the Amazon page itself doesn't mention Steam at all. Some people confuse any key for a Steam key, so I'd like some confirmation.

Tony said a few pages back that Amazon DVG's version of Hotline Miami requires Steam.

I did tell Tony a few pages back that the HLM page on Amazon DVG should state somewhere on that page (probably in Additional Info) that their version requires Steam.
For many here on CAG - they want STEAM versions & putting that on the page would probably be an instant sale;
some people try to avoid STEAM, if it's at all possible;
some just go where the best price is;
and/or some just take it case by case on what version to get depending on numerous factors.
{SIDE NOTE - I'd probably fall into any of the last 3.}

Most of the versions of Hotline Miami require Steam - i.e. GetGamesGo version & Gamersgate's versions also do require Steam.
GOG's version is the only version currently that we know of that's flat-out DRM-FREE - since DRM-FREE always is their policy.

Edited by MysterD, 27 October 2012 - 02:22 PM.

#3195 60fps

60fps

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 October 2012 - 04:06 PM

Thanks, MysterD.

I don't really care about the DRM, but I just wanted it cleared up. I always go where the best prices are. I have games across Steam, Origin, GoG, and wherever else. I'll pick this game up on sale down the line.

#3196 shaggyc

shaggyc

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 October 2012 - 04:33 PM

Metal Kidz had a good idea. I wouldn't mind having shift one and 2, but have no interest in prostreet or undercover... if anyone wants those two games, I'd be willing to split the pack. Just send me a pm.
Posted Image

#3197 MysterD

MysterD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 October 2012 - 04:39 PM

Thanks, MysterD.
I don't really care about the DRM, but I just wanted it cleared up.

Hey, no problem. :D
Glad to have helped clear things up for you. :D

I always go where the best prices are. I have games across Steam, Origin, GoG, and wherever else. I'll pick this game up on sale down the line.

Yeah, I also got numerous games across numerous different digital places and from retail boxes, as well. :D
I usually take DRM, pricing, how soon pricing hits, DLC, and all of that madness into account - a case-by-case thing for me.

#3198 MC Kage

MC Kage

Posted 27 October 2012 - 06:27 PM

Yup.
At 2PM PST, they (GameSpot & Amazon) had a joined-show on TwitchTV showing off VERY limited time game deals.
Darkness 2 PC download was 1 of those deals.

Yeah I'm down I missed this too. Darkness II for $5 :cry: anyways, when are these showed scheduled?

can't wait for 2K13 to finally drop... *knock on wood*

76561198003417354.png

Steam: kagegao | XBL: MC Kage | The BackLoggery

WTB: - Xbox 360 S/E (with 250GB HDD or more) for Cheap

-GoW3, Halo 4, Halo Wars, GTA V, BF4

#3199 Wario64

Wario64

Posted 27 October 2012 - 06:42 PM

Is Walking Dead deal tomorrow? $15? I saw it on SD but didn't see the confirmation

#3200 shaggyc

shaggyc

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 October 2012 - 06:43 PM

Is Walking Dead deal tomorrow? $15? I saw it on SD but didn't see the confirmation

Yeah. Tony said that would be next week. Pretty sure he said Sunday... its a bunch of pages back. Before the neo gaf stuff...
Posted Image

#3201 UW_Shocks

UW_Shocks

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 October 2012 - 07:06 PM

I had a dream there was a $5 XCOM deal...., and I missed it...... :bouncy::bouncy::bouncy:

A very cool Skyrim Mod:

Falskaar

http://skyrim.nexusm...com/mods/37994/

#3202 60fps

60fps

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 October 2012 - 07:17 PM

Yeah. Tony said that would be next week. Pretty sure he said Sunday... its a bunch of pages back. Before the neo gaf stuff...

Sounds about right for Halloween. :oldman:

#3203 Sway

Sway

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 October 2012 - 07:20 PM

He didn't specifically say Sunday but has there been a Tony/Amazon DD sale that didn't start on a Sunday?

Negative ghostrider, we have many of those planned for the future or just ran them. Example, Dead Souls this Sunday, Walking Dead was like 1.5 weeks ago at the same price and will be again close to Halloween.

Cheers,
Tony

http://www.cheapassg...&postcount=2939

#3204 Wario64

Wario64

Posted 27 October 2012 - 07:21 PM

Dead Space 1+2 is a Halloween only deal, so it could be a non-Sunday deal

We also had Bioshock start after Sunday

#3205 HisDivineOrder

HisDivineOrder

Embrace the Dealness

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 October 2012 - 07:55 PM

I had a dream there was a $5 XCOM deal...., and I missed it...... :bouncy::bouncy::bouncy:

Or are you dreaming now? Perhaps you were so distraught when you missed that deal you blacked out? Perhaps you dreamed us all up and now dream you only dreamed missing the deal to help yourself deal with the lost deal. Perhaps you really did miss the deal. What if we're all imaginary figures in your head and when you wake up, everyone here, all of us, even the Indomitable Tony, will fade away where all the fictional women you dream of having sex with go...

Back into nothing.

Don't wake up, dude. Don't wake up. It's almost time for BF and Holiday Steam sales and Tony sales. You let us get to the goods. :P

#3206 shaggyc

shaggyc

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 October 2012 - 07:56 PM

He didn't specifically say Sunday but has there been a Tony/Amazon DD sale that didn't start on a Sunday?

http://www.cheapassg...&postcount=2939

I think there has been... that platformer that was discounted 75% midweek. I think the bioshock pair went on sale midweek too. And it could be wensday for a haloween sale... thought he had said Sunday though. In either case I highly recommend walking dead at 15 bux. Its a steal at that price.
Posted Image

#3207 Sway

Sway

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:06 PM

Well if anyone can't wait a few more days, The Walking Dead is also $14.99 at Gamestop and uses Steam according to the product details.
Spoiler

#3208 r9800pro

r9800pro

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:25 PM

Borderlands 2 Golden Keys (redeem them fast!) :

C3WT3-W96BK-K6JTB-JB3JJ-3J6CS
5JWTB-6FCS5-FHXT6-56BTJ-WBWFT

fs_pc.png

#3209 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 October 2012 - 09:01 PM

Well if anyone can't wait a few more days, The Walking Dead is also $14.99 at Gamestop and uses Steam according to the product details.

Spoiler

He might ban you from the Amazon thread. ;)

#3210 nategator

nategator

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 October 2012 - 09:56 PM

He might ban you from the Amazon thread. ;)

I don't think Tony is a big fan of people getting banned.

Regardless, it wasn't cool hawking a competitor's product when we already knew Amazon will be selling at the same price. Just start a new thread or something -- most of us knew about the deal already.